Rakuen: Paradise Found

Laura Shigihara’s Project Rakuen, now just Rakuen, has at last got a trailer to show. We first mentioned the combat-free RPG last year. Shigihara, brought to fame by her song for PopCap’s Plants Vs. Zombies, went on to work for the developer for a while, but is now fully indie once again. Alongside regularly recording songs for her popular YouTube channel, she has contributed to a number of other games, including Kan Gao’s To The Moon. And all the while has been working on Rakuen, about the fantasy world entered into by a young, hospitalised boy.

The exploration- and puzzle-led RPG is set to release at some point this year, and as you can see from the trailer, has clear influences from both To The Moon and Zelda:

And clearly it will have a soundtrack featuring Laura’s music. The game’s site explains,

“The hospital itself has a lot of little puzzles and mysteries that evolve throughout the course of the game, and you can gradually help improve the quality of the place as you progress. And of course, a big part of the game is uncovering the stories behind the patients in the hospital, and the secrets of the world around you.”

It all looks rather lovely, really.

From this site

1. Zyx says:

Clear influences from Zelda? I don’t see any..

2. Peter Radiator Full Pig says:

It was RPS that first showed me Lauras Plants versus Zombies YouTube video posted June 26th, 2010 and Ive been subscribed to her channel since.
    I seriously think her music alone makes most games a purchase. IF you dont like it, just leave it running in the backround for the tracks.

3. Pliqu3011 says:

“brought to fame by her song for PopCap’s Plants Vs. Zombies”

I might be mistaken, but wasn’t she the lead composer of the whole PvZ soundtrack?

• Ayslia says:

Yeah, she was. Not for the sequel though, I don’t think.

• Jalan says:

Some of her work was present in PvZ 2 but Peter McConnell was lead composer I believe, while the end credits song was done by kid music guru/The Presidents of the United States band member Chris Ballew (aka Caspar Babypants).

4. Fattsanta says:

Damn this game looks to emotional for me.

• Kala says:

Yeah, while it looks like something I might enjoy, the trailer made me lose it a bit.

“if you tell me everything will be alright I’ll believe you

you don’t have to tell me how

and if you keep talking to me through this darkness

through this night

I’ll be alright”

/gulp

/sob

• Antistar says:

It certainly made me think of my little brother, who died of Aplastic anemia just shy of his fifth birthday, after a year in a children’s cancer ward.

Wow that was a long time ago; way back in 1991.