The RPS Supporter Program Is Go!

Hello there! This is about the most exciting thing we’ve announced since we’ve launched the site, and we’ve been working on it all summer*: the RPS Supporter Program is now live! It’s a new premium arm of the site designed for those people who love the site best to get even more out of it.

You can now (NOW!) purchase Supporter status and get additional content in your RPS. Apply the code, log in to the site, and you’ll have fresh words from our writers each day, as well as exciting free gifts arriving in your inbox. For years, thousands of you have been supporting our work via a PayPal link, but now we’ve decided to mobilise our army and do much more. Existing PayPal subs should check their email (and probably their spam filter) for our little gift**.

Firstly: this new project does not in any way affect the current content of the site. Everything you’re currently seeing will stay as it is, with news, reviews, previews and silliness remaining our daily bread. We have a goal in mind for the Supporter Program, however, and it’s this: to create some games writing that is funded by and guided by our readers. The bulk of the Supporter Program will arrive as daily articles that supporters will see folded into their feed, and we’re going to ask you what we should be writing about, then use our supporter funds to make that happen. As you can imagine, we’re pretty excited about that.

To sweeten the deal, we’re also going to be dropping free gifts into the inboxes of active accounts over the coming months. Currently there’s a gorgeous Horace hat for TF2, and some money off a selection of GoG.com games in there, and there’s more to come. We’ll let you know when we update with new gifts.

The Supporter Program should definitely be regarded as an ongoing work-in-progress project. We want to keep developing it over the coming years, fulfilling the potential of this unique and powerful idea within games journalism. This offers us a special opportunity to do something different, as well as supporting RPS’s overall project of being the most interesting games writing site in the known universe.

You can get a 6-month voucher here:

Or a 12-month discounted voucher here:

Once you have the RPS key, you can redeem it at the bottom of your RPS profile page, at the bit that looks like this:

Logged in supporters can check out your Supporter content over at the Supporter tag.

And thank you, everyone. It’s been an awesome seven years, so let’s do even more cool things in the seven to come. Viva PC Games, etc. <3

*That doesn’t mean there won’t be a few bugs in the system – we’re fixing stuff right now – so definitely send Jim an email if you spot any!
** Email Jim for any support with this.

Top comments

SuddenSight says:

For anyone wondering what kinds of articles you get for the support, I have copied out the titles (just the titles) of the first five (RPS hivemind can delete this if it is top secret or something):

How To Not Play Games, by Adam Smith
    Videogames & The Apparatus Of Solitude, by John Rossignol
    The RPS Book Club, For Games: Introduction!, by John Walker
    Raised By Screens – Chapter 1: The Hobbit, by Alec Meer
    The Videogame Monument I’m Most Proud To Have Built, by Graham Smith

They are all nicely written and read similarly to the features that I love from RPS.
  1. Earl-Grey says:

Hail Horace!

• RedViv says:

SSsssh, you’re only supposed to do that while leaning over someone’s shoulder pretending to game behind their backs!

• kalirion says:

Huh, anyone else find that this huge red supporter tag interrupts the flow of browsing comments?

2. Anthile says:

Whoo! Consumerism!

• baristan says:

I’ll do the community a favor and not purchase a SUPPORTER spam tag for my posts:)

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

I’m happy to have been supporting RPS for years now, but really, really don’t like this “supporter” badge. Hope they turn it off (or at least tone it down) soon.

• Ditocoaf says:

Yes, I’d definitely prefer if the SUPPORTER badge wasn’t a thing. Or at least, it could stand to be MUCH subtler.

• LionsPhil says:

Yeah, these things are crazy visually noisy.

• WombatDeath says:

I couldn’t disagree more. As a supporter, I think that when I visit the site every non-supporter’s user experience should be immediately enhanced by an unskippable rendition of the Hallelujah Chorus, accompanied by a full-screen picture of my face.

• bonuswavepilot says:

Yeah, I can kind of see why they’d want it obvious during the launch but I hope the badge becomes a bit subtler too – perhaps something below the avatar on the left there, or a slightly different hue as the background for comments? As it is, it’s pretty ugly-chunky… Ah well, s’pose I’d better pay up and get myself one of the nasty lookin’ things… (I have adblocker’s guilt).

• DeVadder says:

Indeed. If this stays as is, i might need another account just for commenting…

• tehfish says:

Just echoing the others here, please do something* with the supporter badge, it’s damn awful. (enough for me to adblock it). Otherwise it all looks very awesome :)

I’ll definitely sign up when i fix my unemployment induced lack of money problem :P

*small image under the profile pic? profile picture border maybe? Just anything better than the current one, the only good point it has is that it’s not an animated gif ;)

steves says:

I’m posting to see if I get that awful badge.

Just transitioned from PayPal to ‘supporter’, went very smoothly apart from Google flagging it as spam – surely you guys should be on some sort of ‘obviously legit’ whitelist!

Anyway, lose that hideous image, or improve it & stop it wasting vertical space. The option to hide it would be good too.

• jrodman says:

As a supporter, I have already adblocked the badge. Please do give me the power to turn it off for my posts for everyone.

3. Groove says:

This is certainly a bold move.

Having supporter-directed content is definately an interesting way of sidestepping the usual problem with these schemes, where either the special content eclipses the regular content or is pointless. This still worries me though.

• Llewyn says:

I’m not sure it worries me, but I see your point. Personally, while the extra content looks interesting, I’m happy to pay a sub for RPS as it is (and to justify keeping Adblock enabled).

DantronLesotho says:

My sentiment exactly re: having adblock enabled; I’m proud to support them since I’ve already drained so much bandwidth over the years. It’s the least I can do!

• slightlyrandom says:

I understand the idea of letting subscribers have more of a say with regards what gets covered and in what way.
        I do not understand what subscribers stand to gain from keeping the results of this process restricted to subscribers, only.

I want to throw RPS money to keep them cranking out quality writing. I do NOT want to pay them to lock some of this writing away from the unwashed masses.
        And I certainly don’t want to give RPS any kind of incentive towards locking up their most lucrative content, in order to make it more likely others subscribe as well.

• JFS says:

And I really find the new “Supporter” buttons in this very comment section totally distracting. I don’t think anybody proudly pays money for those.

• Rizlar says:

That was my thought as well. Some of these articles look really interesting, it seems a shame to lock them up behind a paywall.

But I also understand that they must have a good reason for it. Presumably as a real incentive for more people to subscribe, which means more non-ad revenue to pay more writers to write more interesting articles!

• Jim Rossignol says:

Yes, basically this.

• Vartarok says:

Well, I have to say, I would certainly become a supporter if you did this. I’m thinking about doing it now, but I’m not entirely ok with the idea of premium-only content, and that is the only thing keeping me from throwing you my money right now.

cairbre says:

To be fair the articles look good. I Subscribe to pcgamer magazine so this is really just the same thing. It’s kinda like being able to subscribe to pc zone again!

• FriendlyFire says:

I subscribed in the past just to keep RPS running and to justify blocking the sometimes obnoxious ads, and I’ll continue subscribing (with the subscriber image added to my AdBlock list because it’s also very obnoxious), but I had a thought regarding the supporter content: why not make it available to all, but restrict comment posting to supporters? Looking at Twitch and others, doing this “supporter-only” discussion tends to filter out an awful lot of noise, which might even make this a viable alternative to turning the comments off entirely in eg. S.EXE.

I like exclusive gifts, keys and stuff. I’d prefer if the content you guys make for us were available to all.

• Jim Rossignol says:

That’s certainly an interesting idea.

• slightlyrandom says:

Aha, this!
            Very much this. Thanks for suggesting a neat solution to a gnarly problem I hadn’t really worked out a great way to solve.

• dangermouse76 says:

” but I had a thought regarding the supporter content: why not make it available to all, but restrict comment posting to supporters?”

Now that is interesting, although I fear accusations of elitism. And stifling of freedom of speech ( I know this isn’t true BTW ).

• Leb says:

I’d be the hell out of here if that is the case.

• Dare_Wreck says:

I very much like this idea too. Groove’s above concerns about the subscriber-only content occurred to me too.

• TheManintheHat says:

Another option that I didn’t see mentioned here (I didn’t read the 175 posts to be honest, apologies if someone else already mentioned it) would be:

* “Premium” content shows on the website along with the rest of entries.
            * Subscribers are able to read them as soon as they are published.
            * Non-subscribers need to wait XX hours/days to be able to read them.

This encourages people to subscribe only if they want to support RPS and want to read all the content as soon as it’s online, but at the same time, all those love articles “Only for members” would be shared and read by more people, rather than hidden forever behind a paywall.

I know this model works for other sites, and I much prefer it than having loads of content be exclusive for paying members.

• Martel says:

I like FriendlyFire’s suggestion. I like getting special bonuses (who doesn’t) but a big part of why I support RPS is because I believe you do gaming a great service and I often like to share articles with those that don’t normally read it. It’d be a shame if I couldn’t share some of them because they were locked away, although I do understand the need to get more subs in order to keep things going.

• totem42 says:

+1 this

• Vartarok says:

PS: the idea of keeping it private for a limited time is a good one too.

• ubik says:

I’ve been ad-blocking RPS for so long I figured this was more than due so I immediately pulled the trigger on a year sub.

And yeah, it would be interesting to see what supporter-only discussion would look like (I wouldn’t necessarily assume that all supports would have awesome opinions).

• LionsPhil says:

You may also want to filter out subscriber-article comments from the sidebar. It’s generating links to them which then 404 for non-subscribers. What’s going on right now is obvious because this is front-page news, but once the notion slips out of mind that just makes your site look broken.

• jrodman says:

Another option is making the premium content available after a time-delay, like a month or two.

• LegendaryTeeth says:

Definitely this. Subscriber-only comments on bonus articles, or other articles that would otherwise be comment locked seems like a pretty good idea. I was already subscribing before this, but I would definitely prefer all articles be readable by everyone.

I haven’t checked yet since I have been totally out of the loop for the last week, but how does this system interact with the RSS feed? If an article doesn’t show up in the feed, it doesn’t exist for me. I always come to the actual site to read it, but the RSS feed is how I am notified of and keep track of articles I have to read.

• Ham Solo says:

I’m with him on this.

• Faxmachinen says:

Completely agreed. I cannot condone taking content away from non-subscribers.

Is there still a way to donate to RPS?

• Melody says:

I totally agree. I’d susbscribe regardless, just as I was subscribed before, and I’d love to have the content I help fund released to all, like other Patreon-funded writers do.

• Continuity says:

It doesn’t worry me so much, it seems that one thing RPS doesn’t have a shortage of is content, honestly I blink and 5 articles disappear off the front page, so I don’t think a small portion being pay-walled will make much of a dent. That said I don’t really like pay-walling, I’d much rather see subscriber only comments or something like that.

4. zachforrest says:

C’mon guys, the real money is in a cheats and tips hotline! Ideally staffed soley by John Walker

• Groove says:

I phoned a helpline twice as a child: once to be directed to a completely obvious but unmarked doorway; the second to discover I knew far more about the game than the helpline operator.

5. amateurviking says:

And my axe!

6. PeopleLikeFrank says:

Thanks for the gift! Happy to throw some extra support to RPS, though I’d love an ad-free option even more than extra content…

• Recurve says:

Use an adblocker?

• LawL4Ever says:

Just use adblock. Subscribing for just a year probably makes RPS more money than you looking at ads ever will.

Lexx87 says:

Adoring all of RPS I jumped straight in – some great supporter only content too!

8. Hideous says:

Look at the amazing tag next to my comment! IT IS RED

Also, I made the hat and now I am terribly excited for people to wear it.

• Rizlar says:

Oh god that supporter tag is hideous…. wait, I see what you did there.

• jonfitt says:

Yeah, perhaps the supporter tag could be replaced with a nice but small medal next to the gravatar, but left of the John Smith says:
      Right now it’s interfering with the flow of reading comments.

9. Stijn says:

I like the idea of subscriber-funded content, I do hope updates will be more frequent than for the previous subscriber program though.

10. Fontan says:

I’m in!

11. unitled says:

Whoop whoop, signed up!

12. Thurgret says:

Hey, why not? I now feel almost obliged to go and play Team Fortress 2, however, just to see the Horace hat.

This big red tag thing is pretty hideous, though.

13. jondare says:

oooh, more content! one question though, how does this work with those of us who read the site through RSS Feeds? will the supporter content show up there (i’f i’m a supporter ofc.) or will i miss it?

• Jim Rossignol says:

RSS not supported yet, but I’ll talk to the developer about that now.

• jondare says:

Aww :( Well, guess i’ll have to wait awhile before i start throwing money your way. Do report back when/if it works!

• Amatyr says:

A supporter RSS feed would be great, if possible.

• ecbremner says:

RSS support is kind of a deal breaker for me as well. Please keep us posted.

• FunkyB says:

Can you make this a priority please Jim? I’ve been a supporter for years but I consume exclusively through RSS so I will never see this content.

Perhaps provide a feed that includes entries for the sub articles. These would then only be readable by logged in users but would serve to prompt us subscribers when one is available.

Arnvidr says:

Sounds acceptable to me. I’ll subscribe for that.

phuzz says:

That sort of solution would be acceptable to me too.
          I do come and read the site, but only when I see an article I’m interested in via RSS.
          I’m also one of those AdBlock using types, so I suppose I should sling some cash your way.

• DrMcCoy says:

LWN.net does exactly this: subscribers-only articles appear in the RSS-feed prefixed with a “[$]”.
          (Also, LWN makes them available to everyone after, IIRC, two weeks)

• jjman says:

Count me as another *needing* (okay, really wanting) rss support.

alphager says:

Please prioritize this. I consume all sites through my RSS-reader and would miss all Supporter-Exclusive content.

Several sites provide paid RSS-feeds through the use of a user-specific token; the technology works.

• miguelyoung says:

same here, I only read RPS through RSS

• ldodds says:

Another vote for RSS from me. I use that almost exclusively so would be great to have, but have signed up anyway for now

steves says:

RSS votes! Have another one from me.

Also, InoReader – it’s even better than the old Google thing these days.

• miguelyoung says:

oooh… inoreader seems pretty good, thanks for the info

• Monkeyshines says:

Very nice! I’ve been looking to get a better reader.

• Gnoupi says:

For those in search of a new RSS reader, NewsBlur (http://www.newsblur.com) is quite nice too, and allows you to highlight or filter out what you like or don’t.
          Also, it has a clear business model, you subscribe for a premium account to have more feeds and more features. No ads or selling your information, and unlikely to just close down because no VC gave more money. Just one guy, paid by the yearly subscriptions.

• jrodman says:

A lovely but rare feature these days. One you’re allowed to pay for.

• Oozo says:

I’d be very happy for RSS support as well.

Apart from that, I think that’s an interesting move, and I’d be more than happy if it worked out for you. (Both because I like you and your writing, and because alternate ways of financing good writing is always something I’m more than willing to support.)

So, in short: thanks, and good luck.

shlomme says:

Same here, I’d really appreciate if it was possible (somehow) to have supporter content in RSS; and ideally also be able to store the content Pocket (or any other read-later-on-a-nuclear-sub-diving-the-north-pole software).

I appreciate though that it won’t be possible technically.

• nickv2002@gmail.com says:

I’d also love to see Full Content (non-abridged) RSS feeds for subscribers in addition to the new stuff.

Basically, the more RSS the better.

14. Shakermaker says:

The hat is also a great gift for people who don’t play TF2, since it seems to be worth at least 32 euro on the Steam market right now. That’s almost a year subscription.

Great idea btw this sub thing.

• GibletHead2000 says:

For that price, I’d want an actual, physical hat.

Actually, I’d go for one of those. Merchandising opportunity? ;-) (okay, maybe not)

• 9of9 says:

Unfortunately, you cannot sell the hat =(

• Oozo says:

Well, that certainly dropped fast in value. By the time I had TF2 installed it (which is necessary to actually get the hat into your inventory), I got “only” 11 Euros. Which, of course, is still a ridiculously good prize for a virtual item in a game I have never played, and just enough to buy me the Binding of Isaac-update…

So, all in all, it’s a wonderful gift supporters. (Even though I would have be perfectly happy to just send over my money the way it was.)

• Thermal Ions says:

Sign me up for being a douche. Bought 6 month subscription for $20 USD, logged into TF2 to collect Horace, quickly placed Horace on the Steam market before getting attached to him and within half an hour sold him for $27 USD (after Valve’s cut). I’ve never been one for having pets though.

A win for all in my book, RPS still gets their support, I get 6 months of extra articles and discount on 5 gog games I’ll never buy, and some silly hat collector has just paid $11 USD more for a hat than if they’d subscribed to RPS directly. Oh and Valve made $4 USD.

I also now feel entitled to say the Supporter tag is horrible, and should be an icon near your name or just in plain text “Supporter” to the right under the date/time.

15. S Jay says:

I would pay if I could have a complete RSS feed, not the annoying “click here to read more” RSS feed.

Bluerps says:

Wait, there was a way to subscribe to RPS with Paypal? I thought it was only possible to make one-time donations with Paypal, and that a subscription required a credit card (which is why I did the former but not the latter).

Anyway – I gave you money before, and I’ll do it again!

17. gregor_ says:

Count me in

18. Gap Gen says:

Should current subscribers have already received an email? Just so I don’t start spamming any Jims prematurely.

EDIT: Aha, spam filter. False alarm.
    EDIT: AAAAAAH RED BADGE RED BADGE

19. Leb says:

Jeez… those supporter tags in the comments are quite obnoxious. I’m having flashbacks of playing battlefield and being killed by premium plaers.

• Eery Petrol says:

I agree! The badges make the comment section very unpleasent to the eyes.

• Baines says:

*puts on a tin foil hat*

It is part of the conspiracy. There will also be a secret Supporter option that automatically filters out any comments by non-Supporters, mark my words!

20. FuriKuri says:

Will supporters be able to enjoy an ad free experience?

21. Shiloh says:

You mean, I’d get a say in what appears? That would be nice… but to be honest I’d much rather you just used the money to give Tim Stone a massive wheelbarrow stuffed with crisp twenty pound notes each week from now till Doomsday, and told him to write loads more stuff about, well, whatever he wants.

PS I’m not Tim Stone.

• Jim Rossignol says:

I’d like that too, tbh.

• Llewyn says:

So how much will it take to make this happen?

• phlebas says:

Well, an 85 litre wheelbarrow is about 30 quid from B&Q. 45 if you want a heavy duty one. How many 20 pound notes does that hold?

• Shiloh says:

A £20 note weighs just over 1 g, which converts into 1 ml, so… an 85 litre wheelbarrow stuffed level with £20 notes would be… erm… anyway, a big old load of cash.

• Gap Gen says:

I’m struggling to find the best Weimar Republic hyperinflation image to respond to this. I have failed.

• Shiloh says:

Just use a screenshot from “Star Citizen” and leave it at that.

• jimbobjunior says:

Yes, please direct my subscription money to Tim. I don’t think he’s been getting the postal orders I’ve been sending him.

• Llewyn says:

Apparently what you’ve been sending are demanding letters, not postal orders. Tim’s been unable to cash those.

• Jerkzilla says:

I was going to say more or less that. Will there be more Tim Stone in this new supporter thing? I would definitely like more Tim Stone.

22. Marcus says:

Fine, but the tags could be a little smaller, or left aligned on the box…

• Morlock says:

Happy to support once I get home, but I agree that if we are going to have two classes of commenters (something I already dislike), the tags must be way more subtle.

23. SimianJim says:

I’m in! The supporter tag is pretty horrible though. Maybe just a little tag underneath the avatar would be better?

Also, can you edit your avatar?

• Faldrath says:

Yep, under the avatar would be ideal…

• Cinek says:

+1. It looks really, really, really bad.
      I don’t know…. add a triangle in a corner behind the avatar, or a nice red frame around the avatar…

• Shar_ds says:

The man asks a good question, where do I edit my avatar?!

• 9of9 says:

For me at least, I think it’s grabbing my avatar settings off Gravatar, so I suppose you’d have to go and make an account there and set up your stuff.

• Cinek says:

It’d be great to have an option of specifying custom avatar on RPS instead of relying on gravatar crap.

• Shockeh says:

I’ve never understood why some people’s do!

• DanMan says:

The best thing about it is, that they have to send them your email address no matter if you have an account there or not….

• Shieldmaiden says:

I’m really glad I’m not the only person who thought this. Please, oh mighty Hivemind, do something about those tags. Right now they’re hurting my eyes.

• slightlyrandom says:

Step 1: Use an adblocker, like AdBlock Edge
        Step 2: Right click the image, choose “AdBlock Edge: Block Image”
        Step 3: Create custom rule, block the specific url to the image
        Step 4: Reload page.

There are other ways, but this one is fairly simple.

RaveTurned says:

Yeah, for me the red banner badge doesn’t reflect the refinement of the site and its writing. It seems pretty ostentatious, which puts me off. Well, that and the lack of RSS support.

Edit: despite this, I can feel myself caving. Suspect I’ll have bought in by the time the weekend’s over.

• Geebs says:

Dear RPS, please make the SUPPORTER tag three-to-five times larger. Also, please make hiding the SUPPORTER tag the reward for SUPPORTing the site. Then I might think about SUPPORTing myself.

• Alec Meer says:

Much as ramshackle is kind of the RPS, we are gonna get a tidier, prettier, more discreet badge sorted ASAP.

• Martel says:

Thanks, I just ended up adblocking mine for now. Avatar based or even just something by the name would be wonderful. I do like the nod we get though.

• Koozer says:

If you’re open to quick and dirty fixes, this shrinks it to about the same font size as the text and moves it to above the name:

div.content div.block img[title=”Premium User”] {
        border: 2px solid #c8c8c8;
        width: 70px;
        margin: 0;
        }

• jrodman says:

I find any hint of “status” off-putting, and for my own personal part would rather turn my badge off, no matter how disrcreet.

I don’t care that it’s available. if someone wants to know they can go look at my profile or whatever, but it doesn’t need to be stated in every stupid thing I write.

phuzz says:

You can edit your avatar by creating an account on Gravatar, and you’ll also notice that it then works for a whole bunch of other sites too (it’s based off your email address).

• Jonfon says:

Yep. Set up your avatar at Gravatar and then baaically any WordPress based website/blog will pick it up.

also agreed on the Supporter tag. They’re hideous. They look like html buttons from about 5 years ago. Something moee discreet would be good.

24. jezcentral says:

Woohoo! That tag marks me out as not only a (literally) paid-up member of the PC Master Race, but of the PC Master Race Master Race.

25. Kreeth says:

Have I gots der badge

26. thedosbox says:

Is there any preference for paypal vs amazon payments? I know paypal charges fairly hefty fees.

John Walker says:

Whatever you prefer!

• Partialist says:

Any plans to allow for different methods of payment?

I would really like to become a supporter, but I would also really like to avoid both Paypal and Amazon…

27. Donkeyfumbler says:

Hmmm. Is there not anyway we can see what kind of stuff this is likely to be without first having to shell out at least $20? Even a list of article titles would at least give some clue what we are missing out on by not subscribing. This has been my favourite PC site for a long time now and I’ve happily disabled ad-block plus on it but this isn’t enough info for me to dig into my deep pockets with my small arms just yet.

• Llewyn says:

I’d say the other 14 articles per day are a pretty good demo. If you’re not happy with the idea of paying a sub based on those, you’re unlikely to be much happier with 15 of them.

I know that sounds flippant and dismissive, but I do think it’s good advice. Based on the few already posted they’re along the lines of the personal pieces which appear elsewhere on RPS rather than news n’ reviews, but very much in the mould of general RPS output.

• Cinek says:

Not really cause they plan to add more stuff in future and don’t know what it’s going to be.

So far it’s a label on your posts, discount on GOG, and a TF2 hat.
      Well, and no adverts obviously, though TBH: I didn’t have anything against ads on RPS. These in the site background actually look nice.

• 9of9 says:

Is no ads part of the deal, actually? I’m not seeing less ads, at least not yet.

• Cinek says:

It’s not? I don’t see any adverts at all, so I guessed it is…. might be wrong though…. I’m confused.

• amateurviking says:

Don’t forget: link to rockpapershotgun.com

Already a handful of (excellent) articles on there

• Donkeyfumbler says:

Be nice if we (non-supporters (yet)) could see those even if we then couldn’t click through to read the actual articles – might even encourage a few people who are on the fence (like me).

• amateurviking says:

It’s strong stuff so far, personal, long form, articulate. But a demo might be appropriate :)

• Donkeyfumbler says:

Maybe not even a demo, but just the ability to see the title and possibly the first few lines of the article, similar to what you get in the RSS feed.

• Vesuvius says:

The best incentive for donating is the collection of tasteful Alec Meer nudes that RPS sent to my inbox.

• Gap Gen says:

Yeah, making sub content invisible seems like a good way to shoot yourself in the foot, as you’d have no idea what you’re missing.

In general I kinda dislike paywalls, but I understand the need for a revenue stream for webizines or whatever this is called.

• DanMan says:

This, very much. The only big hint is the hideous supporter image on comments.

Maybe even have the excerpt (smaller) in the blog roll, but instead of linking to the whole content, have an unobtrusive “read this by becoming a RPS supporter” which links to a page describing what to do.

• cpt_freakout says:

For now, you can get a hint from the “Respond to our gibber” section to the right. Before subscribing, I saw a comment there to a post that I couldn’t see on the main page. Just a trick, but hopefully RPS will put up a list of ‘hidden content’ so that people get curious about it and perhaps subscribe if they feel they’re missing out.

28. Almond Milk says:

Mmmm, RPS flavoured kool-aid…… “One of us, one of us, one of us”

Harlander says:

Hm. Not sure I like the whole aesthetics of the supporter badge thing, but otherwise this is boss hogg. Now to check if I actually subscribed in the past or if I just dreamed it

30. Strangely Brown says:

For years I’ve silently donated cash, and now you make me actually get an account on the site? This is an outrage, I tell you!

Nah… looking forward to what comes of this.

Matchstick says:

Have any emails been sent to PayPal supporters yet ?

I haven’t seen one so far but I’m not sure if that mean my rather paranoid mail server has rejected it or if it just hasn’t gone out ?

32. SkittleDiddler says:

Wow, that “Supporter” tag is huge. Scale it back a bit please.

33. Anthile says:

Hmm, the hat doesn’t seem to appear in my inventory after redeeming the humble code. It’s even listed on my account transactions but, well, it’s not there.

Mr. Anderson says:

You have to launch TF2 once after redeeming the code to have the hat show up in your inventory.

Edit: That badge is just hideous.

• Oozo says:

Edit: Ah, ok, Mr Anderson already had come to the rescue. Thanks!

34. dangermouse76 says:

Wow I am supporting great writing now, cant wait to see how this all pans out. Go team RPS !
    We need a theme tune !

Also supporter tag needs more cowbell.

35. deadfolk says:

Ooops.

36. frymaster says:

Other than supporting the site (which is a not inconsequential bonus by itself) and the random freebies, I’m not sure what I’d be getting. “Extra articles”, but extra articles about what?

• dangermouse76 says:

What would you like………
      Article quote:

• frymaster says:

that’s not helpful. To give two silly examples, if people really want $populargame reviewed, does that mean subscribers will ask for it and the WIT will be behind the paywall? If people really want news about $populargame will non-subscribers not get posts about the latest trailer?

A lot of Whose Line Is It Anyway rounds were based around suggestions from the audience but it was still possible to describe them

• dangermouse76 says:

Oh well sorry for not being helpful.

• amateurviking says:

The five articles in the supporters tab at the moment are most similar to the ‘gaming made me’ articles of yore, to use an example that might be useful.

37. slightlyrandom says:

I’m gonna ask this not really knowing what to expect in terms of reaction, but would you consider not barring some of your content behind a paywall?

Restricting access for others is not an incentive for me. The impact for me, personally, if others are restricted access is net negative.

I was very tempted to NOT support this program, solely because of this. I love your content, and I have been planning to throw you some money, but I’d hate for you to get the impression that locking away stuff is what made this work. Unless of course it IS the reason others chipped in, in which case I shall carry on keeping silent.
    You others, did you lay down cash because of the paywall scheme, dispite of it, or don’t care much either way?

• dangermouse76 says:

I think I am gonna wait to see what the content is like before making that judgement. I am just supporting a site I like at the mo. Gonna let the dust settle a little and see how it pans out.

• dsch says:

It’s a pretty transparent paywall, and a way to establish even more conformity in readership for the more controversial articles.

• Ace Rimmer says:

I think I’ll hold off for now, partly because although I like RPS and would be willing to support their writing, I’m not really sure I want to encourage paywalling content, but mainly just because I don’t want a badge. I haven’t really thought it through, though, so I may change my mind later.

Sinomatic says:

I was thinking that they could perhaps release the articles from behind the paywall after a certain amount of time. I’m not sure how feasible or easy that is for them to do, but perhaps that would placate those who don’t like the idea of content being held back from everyone.

• Jim Rossignol says:

I’m going to put this to the Supporters and see what people want to do. We’ll be able to figure out some useful compromise, I am sure. Perhaps nominating articles to go onto the main site. I’d quite like to see front-page articles that have been suggested and funded by supporters.

• bonuswavepilot says:

Yeah something other than a straight-up paywall would be nice… Never been a fan of them. Also – tell your webmonkey to add a trim() around the upgrade key input submission maybe – had it fail for me the first time ’cause I’\d accidentally also copy-pasted a space before the key itself…

• TRS-80 says:

Linux Weekly News has been running on a subscription basis where the articles are released to everyone after a week for more than 12 years now. This also means that only subscribers can comment at first, which I see was another suggestion upthread. They also have a way to generate a link for non-subscribers which might be worth considering. For RPS I think maybe two weeks is the right length of time for articles to be subscriber-only. Now to get out my wallet and pony up the dosh, even though I don’t even visit RPS daily $20 for 6 months is good value.

• jrodman says:

I think a lot of the lwn-paywalled stuff is more time-relevant to interested parties. They want to know what’s going on in the linux kernel development this week, not last month. Obviously much lwn content remains relevant years later, but still the timeliness has value.

“Here’s a story I wrote about gaming while holding a kitten”, while something I really enjoy probably doesn’t have the same punch.

I still would like to see the model attempted, but possibly with a longer exclusion window. It sounds like the rps crew are willing to give it a shot.

• jrodman says:

Also, RPS and LWN are my two most-read sites.

Joshua says:

This is amazing.

Mr. Anderson says:

Could you add the year to the expiration date at the bottom of the profile page?
    Right now it just says “You are currently registered as a premium user, your premium membership expires on Sat 19th Sep at 14:51” and this will probably confuse the hell out of me at some point.
    Thanks!

DantronLesotho says:

I think the avatar images should get wings of valor

41. Gap Gen says:

So, in terms of what I’d like to see, it’s interesting to see how the site has changed since it was created by flipping through the archives. It certainly was a lot more scrappy, but that kinda had some charm to it. It sometimes feels like new writers are dumping press releases through a pun ‘n’ anecdote formula that kills some of the personality that writers whose voice that naturally was displayed by using it (or maybe it’s just the volume of similarly formatted news articles that in magazines are naturally clipped by column space). Perhaps this isn’t what’s happening, but it felt more personal when a news article was Kieron bashing out a paragraph with all the information you needed on some Dawn of War addon before getting back to talking about making Sims fuck.

I’d like to see more features and whatever counts as NGJ; news is nice but it’s sorta workaday, and it’d be nice to see more deep and interesting analysis. The Verdicts were nice because they opened up discussions, and Sunday Papers level stuff is great (I appreciate that this is a collated list and RPS writers can’t generate that kind of thing in volume on their own necessarily). Maybe getting freelance articles could be good – there’s a lot of good journalism out there, and using some of the sub money to get features on interesting topics from outsiders could be a good way to get fresh voices and perspectives in.

Bluerps says:

All of these are good ideas, especially getting more freelance articles. Apart from those suggestions, I also like to read the occasional diary (that doesn’t stop abruptly after the second chapter).

• FriendlyFire says:

I’d love to see the return of a weekly/biweekly mods feature. There are so many out there but they receive so little attention aside from a select few.

42. Niko says:

Those tags are so big and red, they distract my attention from the tiny letters, so I want one too (when I’ll get some extra money for that.)

Oakreef says:

Already a subscriber but didn’t get an email :(

Save me Jim, you’re my only hope!

44. Hmm-Hmm. says:

So, I’d really like to support RPS every once in a while with single payments without being stuck in a subscription of sorts. What happens when a ‘voucher’ runs out?

Also, I’m in favour of sharing content but I suppose I won’t see how large the additional pile of content is or will be.

And yeah, those tags have got to go. It’s okay to have a sign or something, but these are a bit.. distracting.

45. zproc says:

Interesting, you’ll have to remind me about this next month, when i’ll have (hopefully) some money left. :)

I’d like to see a list of those subscriber only articles, too. Only the titles would be enough i guess. I imagine if regular visitors would see those lists / titles that could help appeal to them for subscribing too.

Rublore says:

So… there’s mention of a profile page. How on earth do you access it? When I log in, there’s still a button to log in, and nothing about a profile. Made a forum account in case it was there, but I still can’t find anything relating to upgrading it. Please save my from my dimness!

Rublore says:

Many thankaloons!

• bonuswavepilot says:

Didn’t have any trouble finding my profile bit, but I agree that having a ‘Login’ option still at the top when you’re already logged in is a wee bit confusing.

Rublore says:

Where do you find it? Because I’ve checked in both Firefox and Chrome, and the only place I can see any kind of link to a profile page is in Jim’s message here.

• bonuswavepilot says:

@Rublore: when you’re logged into the site, you should see a banner along the top with ‘Howdy Rublore’ written on it. If you click on your name there it will take you to your profile.

Rublore says:

The bar isn’t showing up for me. Strangeness.

Ninja Dodo says:

@Rublore: I believe there is a WordPress option to never show that bar (it is rather annoying) but once hidden I’m not sure how to put it back. Bar doesn’t show for me either, but the wp link works.

47. Ross Angus says:

I’m so confused.

48. Cyrano says:

Done and done. Which part of my computer do I shout my requests into?

• Cinek says:

Fan. Into the fan.
      When it starts spinning above 1000 RPM – means you shout loud enough for them to hear.

49. MOKKA says:

I really like this site, I visit it several times a day and it’s my main source for gaming news. However I’m not a huge fan of paywalls and I really dislike that there’s no way for me to get an impression as to what kind of articles I’m missing. I also am a bit afraid that you’re going to hide some of the more creative pieces (the one’s that actually got me interested in this site) behind this paywall. I’m not saying you’re having any kind of bad intentions (I’m pretty sure that you don’t), however I want to point out that these things might happen unintentionally.

If anything at least show some of the additional pieces you’re producing so that people who are not in this program have an idea as to what kind of stuff they’re missing.

50. Boosh says:

would much prefer a fire and forget £2 a month subs or something, even if it costs more. Especially if it gets rid of ads and enhances the rss feed. Which funnily enough is identical to two other site subs I pay for ;)

Not sure why you would go for 6 months/12months options only

• GameCat says:

I agree. $20 is quite a lot money for me (my country is using different currency than dollar, euro or pound).
      Paying ~$3,5 per month would be much better.

• jonfitt says:

I’d rather the pay once option, which is what I’m going to do in a bit.
      I would guess that maybe it’s to do with the gift? Perhaps you’d get some people paying for one month just to get the swag? I dunno.