ArcheAge: Hands On With The First Few Hours

ArcheAge is a silly name, and also a new MMO from the creator of the Lineage series. It’s free to play – and from my experience of the first few hours, that’s actually very free – and it’s available from Trion if you go through the joy of installing their new Glyph shop-cum-game launcher. I’ve spent today playing it, and try to fathom why I’ve enjoyed myself despite everything, below.

I’ve spent a fair bit of time with Korean MMOs. I’ve experienced the worst of them – games as ghastly as RF Online and ArchLord. Although even the best, the Maple Stories and Aions, I’ve usually bounced off. The emphasis on grind, and the need for dedication to their causes, fails to grab me. ArcheAge, from the creator of Lineage, seems to step away from the worst of this. But it’s all replaced with crushing familiarity.

Boy, it sure is an MMO.

You pick your race, and thus starting area, and then choose a class. Tweak your face, get dumped in the same starting area as every other MMO ever, and forced to learn how to play an MMO yet again. I chose Firran, because they’re cat-people, and was immediately told I was about to come of age, and must pass a series of tests and blah blah oh god is this what we want?

Mother Tutorial snaps her instructions at you as you progress, half the time forgetting to say the first half of her sentences, or worse, saying two things at the same time. You run off killing five of this, or picking five of those, and then run back. It’s an MMO. It’s the MMOiest of MMOs.

An MMO, yesterday.

So off I went on my trials, asked to go help a fellow trialee who was in some sort of trouble. I helped him, which apparently caused me to get into some manner of trouble, and I was told I should either complete the trials, or flee to clear my name. I did neither, but clicked on a glowy rock to see what it was, found myself teleported somewhere entirely different, and my trial quests vanished. Oh good.

Except, maybe not? After a bunch of randoms telling me to tell someone else a thing about a previously-unmentioned battle that I’m apparently supposed to care about, and to kill eight of those new enemies on my way, now I’m attempting to appease for my crime (killing a mob that I was told to kill). And oh my goodness, you’re never going to guess what! It turns out I’m some sort of chosen one! After queuing up to make a ghost man-cat appear repeatedly above an alter, another man-cat exclaimed his astonishment that he should have appeared after all this time (10 seconds?), and said I must be a truly rare warrior man-cat. Like, presumably, the other seven people currently stood around him.

Then you’re tethered to that endlessly rolling cart, dragged along its paths by quest after quest after quest, each only ever asking you to talk to someone, pick some stuff up, or kill some stuff. And killing some stuff is, too, as MMOey as it gets.

Attack styles are assigned to number keys, press them in your preferred order, repeat. There’s no call for tactics, or the more fluid, dodge-based antics that last year’s modern takes on the genre introduced. It’s just a case of firing off your skills, occasionally adapting to the addition of the scant choice for a new one as you level up.

Despite having been out in South Korea since January 2013, a year and a half’s localisation for the Western release hasn’t seen fit to include any recorded dialogue beyond a patronising tutorial voiceover and the madly interrupting ‘cutscenes’ (static images over which mythos is barbled). Conversations, of which there are many, are read in silence, while barks from shopkeepers and the like remain in what I guess is Korean. (Although I do want to give credit to one line. Approaching someone who’s surrounded by evil skellingtons, I’m met with, “Finally, someone who still has their skin on.”)

And yet – bloody hell, damn it all – I’m enjoying myself.

It’s slick. It’s so damned slick, despite looking, feeling, and playing like it’s from at least five years ago. This is the CryEngine at its least inspiring, and things blip and crackle in and out of existence, much is glitchy, and the environments are vast stretches of barren uniformity. But one quest leads to the next and that cart keeps dragging me forward. Side-quests, sort of, co-exist – they’re identical to the main quest, and they too take place on the same inexorable path you’re dragged along, and they too keep me clicking and playing and somehow not caring that this is the same thing I’ve done so many times before in so many MMOs.

It’s unquestionably clumsy, and quite what’s going on is lost in the mix of banal quest dialogue needlessly delivered one unspoken sentence at a time, and the infuriatingly interrupting non-cut-scenes, in which out-of-context lore is gabbled at you in a voice that sounds like it’s advertising anti-aging creams. God, there’s so much lore in here, and indeed so many gods. Half-arsed fantasy religions that are indistinguishable from every other half-arsed fantasy religion you’ve ignored in a game, blurted endlessly because it sounds mystical. A plot would be nice.

Oddly, the game’s free, and so far I’ve not experienced anything that wants to charge me money, nor that suggests it’s going to in the future. I’m sure it must, because I doubt this is an act of altruism on the part of Trion Worlds, but in 12 levels it’s not even suggested the notion of wanting my cash. That’s worth relishing.

But in the first day of playing, over the first 12 levels, not a single original thing happens. Perhaps being given a mount already, and its not costing either in-game or real-life money is novel, but it remains a mount that lets you move ever-so slightly faster. (Albeit one given to you by taking part in some non-mini-game of raising a cute little cub into a huge beast by, er, feeding it for five minutes.)

So why do I feel like carrying on? It’s that slickness. That ever-flowing tumble from one thing to the next. If you uninstalled it from my machine and told me I could never play again, I doubt I’d even react. But because you haven’t, I’m going to end up playing some more. Which is ridiculous. There’s no story worth hearing, there’s no immediate hook that makes this different from anything else, and nothing special about the combat or the questing to make me care.

But clickity-clickity-click, on I go.

1. amateurviking says:

ArchAge, ArkAge, ArkuhAge, ArrKeege, ArrKeeguh*, ArrCheege, ArrFuckit.

*Personal favourite.

2. johnkillzyou says:

If you get that far, I wonder what you’ll think of farming and naval combat.

• hawken.grey says:

The farming, naval combat (and housing) are really the meat of the game. So doing a review without those elements as a focus isn’t much of a review… yet.

3. jpm224 says:

“Position in Que: 3157”

Yeah no interest in that. I’ll check back in about a month.

• djbriandamage says:

I braved the queue and my reward was a start area that was so crowded I couldn’t click questgivers and every chat channel was absolutely flooded with Russian gold spammers.

I’d say this was my worst-ever first impression for an MMO if not for the absolutely incredible character creation options. You can make drop-dead gorgeous characters. It was actually worth the (hour-long) queue time, it was so good. But once I’d made my dude I logged off 60 seconds later. It was a nightmare.

• Nibblet says:

In a month the semi hidden hidden pay to win model of the game will probably be common knowledge and you will likely loose all interest.
      The first 20 or so levels, which are reviewed in this article, are actually the most fun because labor points ( the pay 2 win mechanic) is not yet introduced, and the restrictions on f2p are not felt.
      Labor points are basically your “mana pool” for crafting and gathering. Every time you want to do anything other then combat you have to spend labor points.
      These can be bought from the cash shop, boosted via paid for boost packs or regenerate very slowly during play (5 point each 5 minutes while online as f2p and 10 points each 5 minutes for subscribers).
      The restrictions on f2p are among other things no auction house and more importantly no buildings of any kind. Which means you cant gather most of the resources needed to craft anything.
      Basically its a sandbox where the local bully extorts your lunch money on a regular basis and keeps taking your toys away if he feels you have played too long with them.

• Maxheadroom says:

It’s the most absorbed ive been by an MMO since WoW at it’s peak. They’re just not capable of handling the number of people trying to get on. You litterally have to decide 4 or 5 hours ahead of time when you want to play and get in the queue.

Another problem is the housing / farmland (which as someone mentioned earlier is a core mechanic). Within a couple of hours of the servers going live there’s zero remaining space available

They’re adding more servers but that doesnt do anything for the already over populated ones, and there’s no functionality for server transfers. It’s been requested by TRion of the developers but it’s never been considered as a feature and not a quick or easy thing to implement now

4. Davie says:

John, I think you’re a living, breathing example of why generic MMOs are still being made ten years post-WoW. “I’ve done it all before, and it’s still boring and uninspired, but I…can’t…stop!”

• Rizlar says:

It’s the Neverwinter review all over again!

Is Neverwinter still worth playing by the way? What about Archeage, does it stand out much? Or even Rift or The Old Republic, they are both free as well, right?

Personally I’m probably too stuck into GW2’s living story season 2 and the final areas of The Secret World to start more new MMOs, both of them seem to offer something different from the usual formula too.

• lumenadducere says:

Old Republic actually is doing pretty well. They’ve added an expansion with another one coming around the end of the year (though it may be pushed back to early next year, we don’t know). And there’s space pvp now, and housing, and more quests/flashpoints (dungeons) and operations (raids). I play GW2 as well, and between the long breaks they’ve been having lately (pre- and mid-season 2 month breaks) SWTOR has been a great little excursion to delve back into. Heck, even between Living Story episodes since I usually finish those in a couple hours.

5. Moraven says:

Every WoW-like MMO is basically a new content release for WoW. It is new content, which players are consuming and wanting at a faster pace. Blizzard can not keep up so people try out other MMOs until the next WoW expansion. All new MMOs have some hold onto you. It is a matter of hitting level cap and how well it holds you does it succeed or not. Otherwise the journey to level cap is kinda like playing any other RPG.

ArchAge does seem to add a bit more creative content to keep you coming back.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Honestly I’ve played lots of MMO’s and don’t usually reach level cap in them. The only exceptions are WoW, SWTOR and GW2. Everything else I get about halfway through the levelling and then generally get bored and stop playing, returning sporadically for short periods after that when I am bored. Heck even hitting max lvl in GW2 happened during my second stint at playing the game.

• Flopper says:

If you quit wow for 6 months or more you’ll never go back. I quit in Cata and haven’t had the slightest urge to return. The games only draw is the addiction of the current population. And each year that shrinks by a million or so. It’s been dying since Wrath.

Seriously the combat is terrible compared to more current MMOs. The PVP is godawful. MAYBE the raids are the only current draw but even that is meh with the crappy outdated combat system.

6. Seafort says:

I went to try it today, downloaded the client, pressed Play and went to select my server and #2000+ in queue please wait :)

Yeah the game is not really worth it if you can’t even create a character because of the insane queues.

Might be good couldn’t say as I haven’t got past the queues yet :)

7. pepperfez says:

Mostly off-topic, but this is my favorite approach to voices in games. If subtitles are good enough for cinema, why aren’t they good enough for games?

• SPCTRE says:

Case in point: The Metro games – so much better in Russian.

8. gattsuru says:

Purchase status is… kinda odd. You can get a subscription, which allows you to plant down protected private farms or houses, sell items on the auction house (without buying a license), and gives more labor points (2 points a minute when you’re logged in, 1 point when offline, where free players only get 1 point a minute when online).

You can buy the auction house license from other players in-game, but it and APEX (think EVE’s PLEX) originate from the cash shop. It’s cheap, but it’s a cost if you want to do any serious sales without shouting in chat all day. On the other hand, not a huge reason to sell stuff on the market boards right now.

I expect the biggest reason people will feel forced into purchases is Labor. Combat doesn’t take too much labor, and even if you identify every junk item, it takes some effort to really bring the labor pool to its dregs. ((I’d recommend saving labor to use an Evenstone on old equipment, btw, instead; the materials dropped from disenchanting gear are much better valued.)) But farming, crafting, and gathering all take pretty big chunks. It takes 1000 points of labor to level Weaponsmithing from level 20ish items to level 25ish ones, for example, before specialization points. Building enough material together for even a smaller boat takes a huge amount of labor. Really patient people might be able to work around that, but it’ll frustrate a lot, and that’s especially true since some of the quests do point you toward crafting (the Self-Sufficiency chain on the Eastern Continent, for example, get you a full set of purple-grade level 15ish gear in exchange for 500 labor… which might also be /all/ your labor at that point, if you’re free-to-play).

You can get away without having personal property, although you’ll take a decent amount of losses on stolen or uprooted trees and plants. But you can’t do much without the labor points to plant and harvest things in the first place.

I do like that at level 15, I wasn’t terribly liking my Archery/Shadowplay/Songcraft skill setup (a squishy dps/stealth setup), and rather than restart the character, spent 30 silver at an NPC to instantly go to Sorcery/Vitalism/Auramancy (a resilient caster/healer setup). I think Rift did something similar in terms of skill trees, but the ease of changing class is a breath of fresh air from most other MMORPGs.

The farming — both protected growing in public farms, or trying to carefully hide a batch of growing seeds on unprotected land — is interesting as a free-to-play player, but there’s not really a huge reason to go down that pathway at first. It takes a lot of labor and normal quests keep you filled enough on gold to start.

9. Bradamantium says:

How long’d it take you to get playing? I downloaded a few days after its proper launch and every server had a queue of at least 2000 people. Didn’t have the patience for that at all.

10. demicanadian says:

Motor Mice From Mars?

11. Barberetti says:

How much did you pay Trion to jump the massive queues you queue-jumping git?! :P

I managed to create a character a few hours ago, and got as far as logging into the world long enough to disable the global chat and laugh at the lack of inverted mouse option, and that’s it.

12. aliksy says:

This game made a horrible first impression. It would only run if the user was an administrator- If you’re a regular user and provide admin credentials when it asks, it just dies. And then opens a FAQ page that’s in korean(?), in Internet Explorer.

And sometimes hackshield causes windows’ built in antimalware detection to get upset.

Anyway, once I got in the gameplay was really uninspired. No dodging, no risk, just… tab select thing, press 3, press 2, hold 1. I meant to try it again, but it crashed to the desktop around level 8 and I don’t want to sit through the queue again.

13. ineffablebob says:

I’m moderately surprised that you got in to play at all. Don’t play myself, but several friends of mine have been bending my ear for the last few days with tales of massive queues wasting the few hours they had set aside for play.

14. casualslacks says:

Even though you’ve enjoyed you’re time with the game, so far you’ve missed out on what makes ArcheAge unique and special. All that default questing is something you could skip. You shouldn’t, but the game won’t tell you why early on. There is a cohesive world lore that all the races in the game take part in, but like in real life, the history of your ethnic group usually has little to do with how you pay the rent. Once you realize that you do not have to do the main quests, that so many other activities that grant XP, and that leveling up to get to end-game is irrelevant, you’ll have realized that you have important choices to make the whole time you play the game. ArcheAge is a sandbox MMORPG (despite the lack of terraforming), but it gives you the option to play it like the many other MMORPGs that funnel you down a path to some “you should be here at this level” destination. I know that you’ve only spent a few hours with the game and that your approach is to let the game tell you how to play it and what’s fun, but you’re also letting every other game you’ve played tell you how to play it. That approach will not serve if you haven’t played other sandbox MMORPGs.

The other aspect that should be influencing how you discover how to play the game is the community. Obviously, you’re not the first person to ever play ArcheAge and you’re not the only person playing ArcheAge. Seems to me that your experience might be influenced by “what the hell’s that guy doing over there?” What are these trials that are by default in my chat window? Why do people keep talking about pirates? Why do people keep talking about how there’s no land? Why are people talking about classes that you could not choice when you made your character?The main quest line will introduce you to methods of travel, farming, crafting, continental and intercontinental trade, and housing. It will not necessarily introduce you to the competition for resources that drives player decisions when they stop adventuring for NPCs and give themselves missions. The criticism then of ArcheAge might be that it doesn’t tell you what it has to offer. Then again, a sandbox is about discovering that you can use a game’s tools in rewarding ways that are not apparently dictated by game design.

15. Hydraulic Meerkat says:

The Nuians have a pretty interesting story. Taps into old Celtic lore, and some occult things.

Enjoyed what i played of it, but found myself wondering if i really want to spend hundreds of hours grinding yet another MMO character. The naval stuff is a good carrot on a stick so far, but i don’t know how long that will hold up.

And judging from your screenshots it could be your GPU making the graphics look 5 years old.

16. 0positivo says:

Any chance RPS will have some sort of guild at all, when these ridicolous Queue times (yes, with a capital Q) are in the past?

I find MMORPGs to be a slog these days, but being able to play it wtih other people really does bring the best out of them

17. ScubaMonster says:

Just a FYI: it seems the queue problems are solved now. They must have added more capacity to the servers because I get in with no queue. However, some apparently are “full” because they won’t let you create characters there. So maybe about half of them aren’t available right now, but still plenty to pick from. If you had friends on those locked servers though you’re screwed.

18. Hensler says:

Wait… wasn’t this game supposed to a full sandbox style MMO? I could have sworn I saw previews/impressions from the Korean build comparing it to EVE Online. This sounds like… the opposite of that.

• Hydraulic Meerkat says:

It becomes more like that after you finish all the starting quests, which most of us are talking about.

19. Hyoscine says:

I was going to give this a go, but the somewhat suspicious way it disappeared from Steam was really off-putting. Has there been any official word as to what was happening with that?

20. Arglebargle says:

John Walker just shouldn’t do MMO pieces. They invariably end up with ‘I paid no attention to what was happening and then complain because I don’t know what’s going on.’ Calling them on poor writing is one thing, though given the short shrift given to good writers in every field, that’s sorta to be expected. But you shouldn’t really ignore things and then complain about it. I can appreciate the description of the experiance as a quasi-naive player, but even I, not a fan of the style of the game, know that players have described the first 20-30 levels of ArcheAge as set up and tutorial.

The character customization was good, but the UI fails in several important, easily fixable, ways. So it got the boot here. The addictive style of play described also doesn’t seem to be anything ascribable to this particular game, it’s just a function of personality.

• Dawngreeter says:

Things are ignored because they are ignorable. I played ArcheAge very, very briefly and ignorable is exactly what everything in the game is. I normally take all of my games slow, read all the dialogs, etc. I’m that guy you don’t want to play with because I’ll look around the camp and talk to NPCs instead of going around killing things. Yet I don’t have a clue about what went on in ArcheAge. I really, really tried to pay attention. I just don’t have that kind of willpower. And even if I had this supernatural willpower to derive sense from things ArcheAge throws at you, I think I’d rather be reading Atlas Shrugged.

• Arglebargle says:

I’ll skip that book reading too…. ;) ArcheAge should be expected to have more than the usual problems: It was designed for the Korean Market and then localized, which more than doubles the possibilities for problems and issues, imo.

But JW does tend to say this about any MMO he goes into, from what I’ve read. He just doesn’t pay any attention. His right to play as he wants, but it’s wrong to complain about it, if that’s your approach. Because of this pattern in his approach, you can’t really tell if it’s the usual inattention, or really well deserved inattention.

And actually, you sound like just the sort of player I’d like to team up with! Though I don’t mind the belabouring of misbehaving NPCs with a large stick as well.

21. floweringmind says:

I shelled out the money for patron status and that reduces the que, but a week since it went live and basically doubling the servers you still have to wait 1-2 hours just to get in.

This has sent me back into Elder Scrolls Online and even though it isn’t a seamless world like ArcheAge. I have come to find it better. The story and questing is so much deeper. Crafting is way more fun and you only have to deal with PVP in an area where everyone agrees on it.

ArcheAge is like the worst of the worst when it comes to time sinks. Like many mobile apps you pay by spending time waiting for things to happen like building or growing food. You spend hours and hours moving your goods across the countryside, only to have it stolen from you by pirates or someone who just wants to have fun, by you suffering. You will also find that you have a time sink in playing in order to get Gilda if you want to buy any of the cool stuff in the game. Once you are 45th level or higher you can make around 15 Gilda a day. Those who like to grind can make up to 50 Gilda a day. Yet you will need hundreds and hundreds of Gilda to buy most things.

Then there are numerous features that stop you from doing what you like to do in this game. For example there are labor points. You only get so many and everything requires them. So at some point you will want to do something and not be able to do what you want until you stop playing for a number of days at the activity you like.

The graphic are pretty and gliders are the best part of the game. It was nice to be in a seamless world since Asheron’s Call. There is fun to be had, but you can feel the sense that it is all going to end rather quickly on the horizon. And the deeper you dig the closer you come to seeing that your role in the game is rather pointless. Your can be over powered class wise, that gives you the allusion of being a hero. But at the end of the day it seems thin because everything is rather disconnected with everything else.

22. jpm224 says:

Anyone else have to disable their antivirus to get this game to run?

23. Morcane says:

A terribly boring and bland MMORPG, posed as a sandbox, while it isn’t a sandbox at all.

24. geldonyetich says:

Funny enough, what you’ve posted here is ArcheAge’s first impression, that of yet-another-World-Of-Warcraft clone, and they deserve that impression because they added quest hubs to the mixing pot. MMORPG players are sick of quest hubs! Ask WildStar how well that’s working out for them.

But then, around level 15-20ish, ArcheAge suddenly redeems itself. A giant slew of Ultima Online with a side of Farmville bubbles up from the bottom of the pot. You’ll become a farmer/rancher, producing your own goods, turning them into trade packs to sell, or producing goods for the largely player-driven economy. Somehow, it’s glorious, maybe because we haven’t seen this level of Virtual Worldliness in such a long time.

You can even choose to ignore quest hubs entirely at that point. You’ll miss out on loot which can be broken down into useful crafting ingredients, and lore from completing the quests, but the experience is weighted generously enough that the kinds of activities involved in spending labor points are fairly likely to get you to level 50 all themselves!

“Not bad,” you would say, “Looks like you’ve managed to become a decent MMORPG instead of yet another bland WoW derivative. But that’s all you ar-” Then you’re interrupted by a look at the naval combat in ArcheAge, and the castle sieges, and the town building, and realize the level 50 game (which includes some semblance of world PvP on the scale of Shadowbane, done right this time) is a whole other level of virtual worldliness.

Suffice to say, there’s a reason why tens of thousands of people are sitting in line to get into the completely packed servers every night. Despite ArcheAge’s first impression making it worthy of your scorn, dismissing it as yet another World of Warcraft clone is ultimately something done at the peril of your own journalistic hubris, because they hid something completely different behind the WoW training wheels.

• vecordae says:

Well, if he’s making the dismissal at the “peril” of his “own journalistic hubris”, then that’s a good thing, right? Everyone’s journalistic hubris should be imperiled every now and then. Keeps the humors in balance.

• geldonyetich says:

I’m all for seeing hubris imperiled, as it hardly ever does anyone any favors. However, my intended implication was that the possession of journalistic hubris is perilous. Peril to a writer’s credibility, if nothing else, because calling the most interesting thing to hit MMORPGs in awhile a mere World of Warcraft clone is certainly a naive accusation, and it has the popularity to prove it.

Yet, I don’t particularly blame Mr. Walker, because it’s XL Games’ own dumb fault for injecting new players into the game at the foot of those familiar quest hubs, complete with the big glowing question marks and exclamation points above NPC heads. Everyone to play ArcheAge is going to think this is a World of Warcraft clone… until they learn around level 15-20 that you have an alternative that is anything but World of Warcraft, and there’s an end game that’s something else entirely.

Perhaps the most newsworthy thing about ArcheAge is actually outside of the game itself. Yes, the game is excellent, but Trion Worlds is responding to its overwhelming demand in a rather interesting manner of treating servers clogged with literally tens of thousands of people in the queue as “working as intended.” This is creating a great deal of rage amongst players who really, really want to play ArcheAge. Simultaneously, it’s telling that ArcheAge is something you would want to wait that long to play. What is this madness?

• iainl says:

By your own definition, the game is aimed specifically at people who don’t mind a bit of grinding for 20 hours to clear the tutorial, in order to get into mobile-free-to-play style of game based around energy pools, labour points, and grinding away for days to do anything.

That people who enjoy such things are also prepared to sit for an hour (as long as I’d normally play a game for in one sitting) just to get on the server doesn’t surprise me that much; they clearly have an awful lot of patience.

25. eggy toast says:

This whole article could just say “My name is John and I like MMOs.”

26. Crainey says:

The game is a still a ton of fun. I’ve played a lot of games, especially MMOs, and other than EVE nothing comes close to the massive group content. I’m part of a 1,500 (player cap) guild than is hated by the server, we have dozens of enemies of both parts of the ocean, which just making it all the more fun when we attempt a 200 player trade run across the ocean.

We spent most of release week doing large 100-300 player trade runs, allied boats each with their own unique sails spanning the ocean as far as the (not very impressive) draw distance could see. When we got to the destination there would be same faction enemy guilds trying to murder us from behind while enemy faction guilds attacked from in-front, 400+ player battles.

Other types of things that happen are guildies who have illegal farms (that other players can steal) calling out in chat he has been discovered and a 50 player raid forms in minutes to the rescue (and share in the profits). Then the aftermath is dozens of players being put to trial (real thing in game) and serving time in Jail to play soccer together.

Sure, the game has its flaws like any other, but I’ve been having more fun playing an MMO than I can remember having in a long time.

• Faxanadu says:

This sounds reaaaaaally good. Something like this is what MMO’s need to be headed at. Remains to be seem tho if ArcheAge pulls it off appealingly enough. :p