Wolf Like Me: New MGS5 The Phantom Pain TGS Trailer

I think I posted those Metal Gear Solid V Tokyo Game Show videos too soon. Not because the first set of videos were in Japanese – this one is too – but because the video released at the end of this weekend has introduces a new companion for Solid Snake Big Boss: a wolf. A wolf with an eyepatch.

The new companion is called DD, after Diamond Dogs, the name of Snake’s crew. As the video above shows, you find the pup in the jungle with its sadly departed mother, and can then use the same capture technique you use to turn guards and vehicles to your side. Eg, you tie a parachute to a baby animal and launch it into the sky, where a waiting plane scoops it up. (This is a thing which actually exists in some form, by the way).

Best of all, the pup has an eyepatch just like you.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain is due for release next year, and has been confirmed to be coming to PC. We’re also due to get the prequel chapter, Ground Zeroes, although there’s no word as to when.

1. TailSwallower says:

Oh my god, that is the cutest thing ever.

But if we’re forced to watch the dog die for some fauxmotional pay-off I am going to murder one of the designers.

• magogjack says:

irony

• welverin says:

Another sites article on this mentioned companions can die permanent like on missions, that would pretty much preclude the possibility of killing it off just to manipulate your emotions.

2. John Mirra says:

That’s not Solid Snake.

• magogjack says:

Yeah its Gaseous snake…right? Or is it the other state of matter?

• rpenm says:

Plasma Snake.

Harlander says:

I really hoped for a Plasma Snake, but instead they went for ‘Solidus’. What nonsense is that!?

• Hanban says:

Wasn’t that the *SPOILER from Metal Gear Solid 2* “perfect” clone of Big Boss? Big Boss is just Big Boss? I might be mistaken here.

• welverin says:

Serious answer to your unserious question: This is Naked Snake, a.k.a. Big Boss.

Graham, if you see this, just call him Snake. You can’t go wrong with that, regardless og whether you’re talking about Solid, Naked, Liquid, or Solidus.

Graham Smith says:

Fiiiiiixed.

3. Spacewalk says:

This is the reason why Quiet doesn’t have any shirts left, because the dog keeps shredding them.

4. RARARA says:

2:20 was definitely a Lion King moment.

5. ffordesoon says:

Call him DD all you like, game. He will be Dr. Wolf McEyepatch in my heart.

Also: GOTF.

6. WJonathan says:

Only on the MGS world could you have riveted windows.

• GameCat says:

There’s metal behind the glass, because the chopper doors are open.

• Jade Raven says:

Yeah, you may not have noticed, but glass is generally transparent.

7. not-the-beez says:

I hope they wormed that pup when they got him back to base, or Snake’s in for a bad case of threadworm. Im guessing an itchy arse isn’t desirable when you’re trying to hide in a locker.

8. Viroso says:

On one hand: more MGS, wolf with an eyepatch. On the other hand: More MGS, Kojima’s idiocy growing since MGS4.

Tough choice.

• pepperfez says:

To be fair, the wolf is pretty obviously an instance of Kojima’s idiocy. You have to take the good with the bizarrely overwrought woman-hating.

• Distec says:

Can we not conflate “troubling” depictions of women in MGS with straight up “woman-hating”?

• pepperfez says:

I mean, we can, but the worlds Kojima creates are pretty consistent in their hyperbolic hostility toward women. To be clear, that’s the woman-hating I’m referring to – I’m not making any statements about the man himself.

• nearly says:

I usually side with “Yes, definitely women-hating” but I honestly feel that Metal Gear is more complicated than that. There was something very deeply unsettling about killing crying women in MGS4, but I feel that The Boss in MGS3 kind of pushes at what you’d expect, just like the women you kill in MGS4 making up exclusively the entirety of the elite soldiers or most powerful enemies. Elsewhere, there are plenty of women soldiers in the games, not all of whom are intended to be solely eye candy (or who even might be described as eye candy), and a knock I frequently hear about the bosses in MGS4 is the long exposition afterward (which both is delayed development for the women and makes you feel like a shitbag for killing them, even if you have to take points away for “these minority figures are only villains because they were oppressed”). I think there are some serious missteps but I don’t think it all comes from a misogynist place or that it isn’t leagues ahead of a lot of other games in some ways. Psychoanalyze Kojima all you want over the bosses/frogs in MGS4 but I think complicated is a very fair description that’s not reductive and encourages conversation rather than knee-jerk judgment or condemnation.

9. Smion says:

That wolf is going to piss on someone at some point during the game.

10. Zanchito says:

Are MGS games good? Never played any of them, don’t even really know what they play like. I’m guessing kinda like Splinter Cell but with outrageous japanese creativity?

• jael182 says:

“outrageous japanese creativity?” Definitely
      “I’m guessing kinda like Splinter Cell” No, is not.

Is a very different stealth game. The mechanics of the early ones are odd, but when you get into it, it is kind of cool.
      I love the franchise, but is not for everyone, definitely.

• welverin says:

“I love the franchise, but is not for everyone, definitely.”

This pretty much sums it up, I think they are good games, but they most assuredly are not for everyone. They’re probably more extreme in this regard than any other popular game series out there.

They’re idiosyncratic enough that if you don’t like them, you’ll probably hate them.

• sventoby says:

Coming from someone that primarily plays games on PC, this is probably my favorite series and MGS5 is by far my most looked forward to game. Every MGS game is extremely well crafted and really feels like it’s on the cutting edge of the medium. The story is a ridiculous mishmash of conspiracies, pseudoscience, and 80s movies. The gameplay is essentially puzzle + action. I’d recommend playing them all in order but I think 2 and 3 are the best.

• Zanchito says:

Thank you, gentlemen. I first heard of these games in ye olden times of the MSX computer, but never tried any. You’ve piqued my interest!

11. LionsPhil says:

That wolf seems to actually be a dog. Which grows up in the space of about a week.

This isn’t the kind of weird I’m used to from Japan.

• welverin says:

Video games.

• Universal Quitter says:

It’s actually a dog they were already training for the mission, but Snake jumped to conclusions and no one wanted to correct the Big Boss.

12. DrManhatten says:

Game of the show (TGS) by a long mile