Powering Up: Dragon Ball Xenoverse Coming To PC

Hey, hey! Calm down!

Dragon Ball, as I understand it, is about about toddlers getting so worked up they spontaneously age 14 years and skip straight to that teenage phase of growing their hair out and getting into fights that are mostly posing and yelling. This may not be wholly accurate. I mostly know it from years of seeing PlanetQuake plastered with Dragon Ball mods, Dragon Ball player models, and Dragon Ball usernames. But because of that, I always expect to see the anime and manga’s video games on PC.

Hey, look: Dragon Ball Xenoverse will come to PC. You’ll get to create your own angry teenager.

It’s a fighting game of gratuitous self-insertion, having players create and customise their own fighter then joining in big fights from the series history (because time travel etc.). I’m surprised more licensed games don’t take a similar approach. Their new stories are rarely (with exceptions) as interesting as the source material, so why not go wild with Mary Sues? I’m Spider-Man’s best mate, me.

Xenoverse is being made by Dimps, the folks Wikipedia tells me are behind the Dragon Ball Z: Budokai games. Publishers Bandai Namco don’t have much to say about the PC port, other than that there will be one and it’s coming to Steam. But here’s some of the yelling and fighting and:

1. DXN says:

DBZ is very, very silly, but the Abridged Series is pretty great.

• Kentauroi says:

I’m not a fan of fighting games in general, but if they had Team Four Star do the voices I’d buy it in a heartbeat.

2. DrScuttles says:

Dragon Ball is about… the epic conflict between light and dark? Nah.. how hope and optimism will always triumph? No, that’s not right. How about a pleasantly cyclical take on the heroes journey? Uh.

Got it, Dragon Ball is really about not knowing when to end your story and the regret that comes from having beloved characters fall into the obscure corners of your text and you look down at it and all you’ve got is a blob of chewing gum destroying gods and the universe and oh fuck it here’s a spirit bomb.

• Cinek says:

And I always thought that Dragon Ball is about failed experiments of a plastic surgeon…. silly me.

• sweerd says:

Dragon Ball is about burly men punching other burly men (and also aliens) so hard that planets explode. And that is pretty much all that I want from my entertainment sometimes.

• Redcoat-Mic says:

The series creator, Akira Toriyama, actually knew exactly when to end the series and that was after the Cell Saga.

The idea all along was that Gohan was far stronger than the main hero, Goku, because he was half Human and so was not just obsessed with fighting like the full Sayian Goku but had Humanity and wanted to just be left in peace. Through out the entire series, it is obviously stated that Gohan has some hidden power and he was meant to be the main focus.

However the publishers and fans demanded that he stuck to Goku and so it got more and more ridiculous, with more ludicrous moves and it completely ditched the idea of Gohan surpassing his dad.

• domiatorking239 says:

Fans rule man. So what the fans demand is the real thing. Without fans the dragon ball series wont be noticed. So goku is the main character

3. Shieldmaiden says:

I’m all for this. Creating my own character in existing universes has always been much more appealing to me than just going through the motions as an existing character. South Park did it brilliantly. I also loved DCUO for it. For me, working my way up and joining the Justice League was much more fun than just being shoved into Superman’s outside-pants and told to get on with it.

4. GaiusJulius394 says:

I played this at TGS at the weekend. It plays similarly to the Budokai games but it appears to have somewhat streamlined controls – holding R2 on the PS4 controller brought up a contextual menu of special abilities, which is a much easier way of doing things than remembering button combos.

Pretty much all of the Dragonball games have basically just re-enacted the anime because they know that’s what fans want, so allowing you to create your own character is a great new spin on it to keep things fresh.

• drumcan says:

Is that contextual menu anything like the roulette wheel in God Hand? That’d make me interested in this game. I’ll buy anything even remotely inspired by God Hand, I don’t even care.

• Fontan says:

If it plays similar to Budokai, I’m in. I played A LOT of Budokai on the PS2 with a friend, loved that game.

5. int says:

Gloria! Bandai Namco is happily bringing more games for our dear PC. But where is Soul Calibur?

6. Zyx says:

Dragon ball started out as a hilarious parody of a 16th Century Chinese novel about a monkey boy who is abnormally strong and eventually topples heaven. Setting is a world mixing future tech with a mythical oriental dragon-stuff. The main character who would go on to become the proper ‘kind-hearted and insanely powerful but God so fucking stupid’ archetype. And it had plenty of testicle jokes.

Then things went crazy.

7. Zankmam says:

Given that there isn’t any for the PC, I would have preferred just the standard “huge roster and story reenactment” route for the game.

Still, this may be fun if done right.

What annoys me is that it will be a Budokai-inspired, not Budokai Tenkaichi-inspired game. I much prefer that series due to it being the best possible realization of DBZ, as opposed to Budokai, which is more like a normal fighting game, which I don’t like.

• Sian says:

As someone who hasn’t played either I’d like to know more about the difference, if you don’t mind.

• Zankmam says:

Not to be mean, but simply searching for “Budokai 3” (for example) on YouTube and then “Budokai Tenkaichi 2” (for example, the newer games for the modern consoles are the same game) is much simpler and will tell you more about the games than I can describe in words.

Basically the BT-related series is more of a Spectacle 1v1 fighter while the Budokai series is more akin to classic fighting games (though not as much as Super DBZ, a single standalone game outside of other series).

• gwathdring says:

I remember playing one of the BT games with a friend who was crazy good at it. It was a LOT of fun. I have yet to play a fighting game that feels that good in 3D. It makes much better use of it’s 3D space than anything 3D fighter I have tried. It’s silly, boisterous, very lovely to look at, and has a lot of room for technical development. I’m pretty good at picking games up quickly and I had a long way to go before beating my friend. :)

8. Anthile says:

Not to beat a dead horse here but I wonder if it will feature playable female characters?

• drumcan says:

According to Polygon, you will be able to customize your character’s “race, gender, head, weight and costumes.”

• MobileAssaultDuck says:

If previous DBZ fighting games are anything to go by, we’ll at least get Videl, the female android, and Chichi.

While sparse in number, the females in the Dragon Ball universe are actually pretty decent. They’re strong and capable fighters, they tend to be the more controlling member of any romantic relationship they’re in, and they speak their opinions openly.

9. Merlin the tuna says:

There’s a silly kind of brilliance to the story they’re using for this game.Yes, it’s self-insertion fan-fiction. Yes, it’s rehashing the exact sequence of fights from the show, just like the last 30 DBZ games. But if you’re still buying DBZ games, it’s because you’re a huge DBZ fan. So what better hook is there than “Quickly fanboy, we need your help, or the thing you love so much will never exist!“?

This is top-tier pandering, and I approve.

• Baines says:

But it will only truly be Dragonball if, no matter how super amazing your fanfic character is, the game still has Goku show up to beat the final boss.

Because everyone who read or watched Dragonball knows that Goku always has to be the strongest, the most powerful, and the only one who can beat the final form of whatever enemy is around. Even poor Gohan, the kid who was storywise meant to be more powerful than Goku and storywise was even being set up to be Goku’s replacement, saw himself kicked to the curb so that Goku could keep coming back.

I always felt the ending of GT was particularly bad for that reason.

• Merlin the tuna says:

Yeah, I’ll eat my hat if the final stage isn’t called “I Need More Time!” and consists of you holding off a boss so Goku can finish a spirit bomb.

10. PopeRatzo says:

I just wanna play the little bald dude. But transgendered.

11. ThornEel says:

They should definitely make a Dragon Ball Multiverse game while they’re at it.