Freeware Garden: You Won’t Tell Anyone, Right?

Nothing could ever possibly go wrong honey, nothing at all.

I found You won’t tell anyone, right? to be one of the most depressing and disturbing games I have recently played. Then again, I do normally tend to avoid bleak, tormented personal narratives as much as possible; even more so when they involve child abuse. Or, well, successfully imply it.

You won’t tell anyone, right? managed to lure me in with its graphics, which, shameful as it might be, is something worth noting. It’s a beautiful game and one that knows how to properly stylize its polygons and at times (from certain angles too) even reminds me of Giorgio de Chirico’s works. Or, admittedly, Engonopoulos’, but that’s beyond the point, the point being that this is a game that looks lovely enough to help you engage its important if tough-to-swallow subject matter.

Even the cinema looks depressing.

You won’t tell anyone, right? is a scary, unsettling game. And it’s scary and unsettling because its monsters are human, everyday monsters that are way more common than most people think. It’s a game that will make you feel helpless. A serious offering about trauma and its consequent phobias, which takes advantage of its interactivity and sheds light on something important, while tempting you to discover each and every one of its endings.

1. padger says:

Well that’s incredibly dark. Anyone got some DVDs of Friends and a tub of ice cream? I need to go feel like life is okay.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

Oh thanks, way to remind me that I’m lactose intolerant and that I still have neither got married nor bought a house despite now being older than any of the main characters were by the end of Friends. Anybody got a bottle of Scotch and a good horror novel?

2. Megazell says:

Great find! Adding this to my list now!

• Gog Magog says:

What list
      is it your list of buckets?
      your list of deaths?
      your list of blacks?
      I must know this.

3. Okami says:

I feel miserable now.

4. J. Cosmo Cohen says:

I liked choosing my ending, but wow, what a thing.

5. Melody says:

Extremely powerful and touching.

6. commentingaccount says:

Time for some tmi I guess.

Is there anything in this game that is new to someone who’s already experienced sexual abuse? Or would it simply be preaching to the choir?

• JamesTheNumberless says:

Rather odd and unfortunate phraseology there…

I, thankfully, have not experienced anything like this. But if you’re asking whether this game breaks any new ground, I don’t think it tries to. It succeeds in being evocative, more than in than anything else. The endings, considered as a whole, are decent food for thought. If the game helps at least one person who is affected by the issues it covers, it’s probably more valuable than I can ever understand.

• commentingaccount says:

I really could not think of any way to phrase it. The people who’ve experienced this, like myself, know the psychological effects and know the pain. Thus, the preaching to the choir comment.

Thank you for the information.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

Sorry it was a bad joke. Preaching to the choir implies there’s an element of belief involved and that there should need to be some sort of effort involved in convincing people that something is important/true. I don’t think this can be said about abuse, I would hope everyone who isn’t a sociopath needs no preaching to, to take this material seriously. I don’t think the game is trying to, or needs to, convince anybody that abuse is real or that it’s bad. It is more about offering an insight.

Then of course there’s the whole thing with choirs and the connection between religious (or indeed any) authority figures and abuses of power & trust.

7. gunner1905 says:

I think the devs needs to look up something called “subtlety”.

• Alloflifedecays says:

For the most part it was as subtle as it needed to be imo, bordering on straight-up impressionism at first. I’m not gonna lie, the last section was kind of excessively on-the-nose though, it kind of undermined the otherwise-strong sense of dread of the previous sections..