Diablo 1 HD Mod Adds Support For Modern Machines

Diablo games become like obsessions, and like any obsessive-compulsive knows, slight changes to routine can cause you to lose your shit. That means that you might like or loathe Diablo 3, but if the first game was your first love, you’ll likely long to return. The Diablo 1 HD mod makes that much easier by increasing the game’s resolution, introducing support for widescreen displays, improving the interface and making it work better on modern copies of Windows.

It also goes a step further – for better or worse, I’m not sure – by adding extra content to the game alongside the graphical upgrade, including Barbarian and Assassin classes, new items and crafting recipes, and new locations, bosses, spells, skills and more. There’s a trailer below showing the destructive scale of the thing.

Diablo 3 was my entry to the series, but I know what it’s like to lose convenient access to a beloved game. This should make it easier for those who want to return. To play, you’ll need the file diabdat.mpq from your Diablo 1 CD, and to download the mod and its small patch from the site. There are full installation instructions inside.

What may disappoint some is that the revival doesn’t yet include the Hellfire expansion pack content, and there doesn’t seem to be any plans to add it in the near future. Still, there are new quests to explore instead, detailed here.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

Top comments

1. c-Row says:

You really need to spend more time in the forums, Graham. ;)

PoulWrist says:

Wasn’t the barbarian and assassin classes introduced in that expansion pack that was released, Hellfire(?) developed by some other company. Which also introduced the cow armor?

On a different note, I got Diablo on my 13th birthday and it was really quite magical.

oWn4g3 says:

The only big changes I remember Diablo Hellfire adding were the Monk class and the ability to run in town.

• Lex says:

There were a bard and barbarian class in the code that weren’t finished and used the rogue/warrior sprites but you could play them by editing an ini-file.

Bluerps says:

It also added a new dungeon with 4(?) Levels and a boss at the end.

As far as I know it’s reputation isn’t very good, but I remember that when I played it, back when it was new, I thought it was ok. Though I have to add that I never played that much Diablo. Over the years I went through the first and second games two times each and that was that, so people who played more than that might see Hellfire differently.

• BlueTemplar says:

Some more information about Hellfire (developed by Synergistic Software, a division of Sierra) :
      link to diablo-evolution.net
      Might explain why this mod doesn’t include hellfire.

2. Shockeh says:

But.. but… if someone achieved this fully for Diablo 2, Diablo 3 would have no reason to exist!

• Pyrosity says:

what a shame

• Red Machine D says:

Well, with the RMAH removed, I’m sure Blizz doesn’t see much point in Diablo 3.

• gschmidl says:

Which is of course why they keep adding new content.

• Jeremy says:

Nothing says apathetic like continually reworking and balancing the game, adding new item algorithms to make loot important and useful, and listening to your customers. The nerve!

• deadly.by.design says:

Good for them. I know some people have always done this in Diablo games, but I’ve never seen the appeal of playing them like MMOs. Game > Endgame, as far as my preference is concerned. It’s the same reason why I don’t grind through Borderlands titles multiple times for max level.

• BlueTemplar says:

Yeah, most of my fun in Diablo 2 was at levels 30-40 (max cap being 99). I actually never killed Baal (last boss) in Hell difficulty despite having played D2LoD for hundreds of hours…

• BlueTemplar says:

Yeah, most of my fun in Diablo 2 was at levels 30-40 (max cap being 99). I actually never killed Baal (last boss) in Hell difficulty (hardest difficulty) despite having played D2LoD for hundreds of hours, nor fought the later introduced Uber Bosses…

• Skeletor68 says:

D2 is still my favourite, but I have to admit that D3 is much better now than at launch. I’ve spent many happy hours in game with my Witch Doctor now. It’s just an awful lot more fun and rewarding per hour of gameplay than many other ARPGs can be at ‘endgame’. That will disappoint some people who feel it is cheapened for casual players, which I can understand, but it means that when I have a spare hour I know D3 will be fun at least!

Never played the first Diablo for any length of time. D2 was my bread and butter!

• thelastpointer says:

Listen to this man, for he speaks the truth.

• BlueTemplar says:

Diablo 2 LoD with Median XL Mod, MultiRes and PlugY is pretty much what you’re asking for.

MultiRes (doesn’t work with D2LoD patch 1.13, only 1.12) :
      link to moddb.com
      (this might work for 1.13, but seems to be limited to only one resolution : link to reddit.com )

PlugY:
      link to moddb.com
      link to plugy.free.fr

Median XL:
      http://modsbylaz.vn.cz <=creator site
      http://www.medianxl.com <= forums
      link to medianxl.com <= latest changelog
      link to moddb.com <=download
      link to mxl.vn.cz <= documentation

• BlueTemplar says:

(full post with links awaiting moderation)

• MadTinkerer says:

It’s called Torchlight 2.

3. zehemer says:

If only there was a place to legally buy Diablo I. Whatever happened to the company that developed it? Any chance of someone still having the rights to the IP for digital distrubution?

• Zallgrin says:

Digital maybe not, but I have bought a Blizzard bundle at the local store once with Starcraft 1 and Warcraft 1 as well as Diablo 1 for a decent price. Maybe check out Amazon? I’m sure they still sell those.

• zehemer says:

There are some deals for $35; a lot more cheaper than I expected. But I wonder if another copy would be able to replace my pirated copy which proudly proclaimed ‘Diabolo’ on the sleeve.

• BlueTemplar says:

Blizzard North also developed Diablo 2, then most people moved on to create Flagship Studios, then some of them (including Max and Erich Schaefer) moved on to Runic Games, which made Torchlight 1 & 2 :
      link to en.wikipedia.org

• BlueTemplar says:

No Diablo 1, but it would seem that Diablo 2 can still be bought from here :
      link to us.blizzard.com
      (No mention of Blizzard North on that page??)

4. c-Row says:

You really need to spend more time in the forums, Graham. ;)

5. gruia says:

meh, the original D1 is still my favorite H&S
    It has Dark Souls Vibe, mistery, slow pace, skill

It’s sad that the classes aren’t balanced. all mods sucked so far for me
    Original still best by far.

• Jenks says:

Agreed on all points!

• Bugamn says:

Agreed too. It also didn’t have the skill trees, so you had to search and read books for magic. For some reason I liked that.

• Deltadisco says:

As time has worn on I’ve decided that the finding spell tomes is actually my *favorite* part of D1. It sort of flies in the face of “character customization” or more steady/predictable progression, but I liked that I might be relying on completely different spells whenever I started a new character.

It seems skill trees often result in the temptation to take the route of least resistance – you end up asking yourself “Ok, what will work best?”. In D1 (especially early on in a characters life) the question often ended up being “Ok, how do I make this work for me?”

I actually tried hacking this sort of thing into Torchlight at one point – I found I could only take things so far because the skill tree concept was part of the engine. I never had enough time to see if any real workable solution was available.

lowprices says:

Tempting. I have memories of picking this up a year or so after release and, as a 14 year old who’d only really ever played console games at that point, being bewildered and thrilled in equal measure. It may be time to pick up a copy and see if it lives up to the memories…

JiminyJickers says:

I’m using a mod for Diablo, Its called Diablopatchfinal for some reason. Anyway, the mod allows you to play it on modern systems with better resolution support. It does not alter the game in any way, which I prefer.

It just contains a ddraw.dll file which enables the modes. Before I used this, the game kept asking for the CD, even though it was in the drive and it wouldn’t even start.

8. Spacewalk says:

This looks pretty swack. There’s even a Necromancer class so I’m going to have to play it.

9. Foosnark says:

Diablo 3 was my entry to the series

Ouch. For the love of WASD, please find Diablo 2 with the Lord of Destruction expansion ASAP and play through at least two difficulty levels on at least four different characters. We’ll be waiting.

• Graham Smith says:

Cripes. There is not enough time.

• Niko says:

Yeah, I remember doing that, it takes a lot of time. Not sure you’ll get experience radically different from that of Diablo 3.

10. aliksy says:

Diablo1 is my favorite in the series. Something about the atmosphere felt less cartoony than the later games, and the difficulty felt better. Diablo2 quickly turned into a loot game, and diablo3 is just… I don’t know. Horrible writing that won’t shut up, uninspired art, too much focus on bland, replacable loot, stupid bosses. it just feels uninspired. Diablo1 really had something magical about it. Possibly because I played it during my formative years.

11. Nirvanna21 says:

Best way to improve the original Diablo.

Include an updated resolution (like done here).

Make the three difficulty levels accessible in single player without the need for that pesky work around glitch.

And finally, don’t add new content!

The original was simple and really doesn’t need new content, it just needs a little updated support (which it will most likely never get officially).

Just my opinion though so yeah xD