Watch It And Weep – Saints Row: Gat Out Of Hell

Uh, it's pretty unrealistic for someone to fly, let alone on such damaged wings. Fix your game, Volition.

Say, you wouldn’t fancy seeing Johnny Gat blast away with a locust gun, fly on burning wings, blow up demons in a rocket-launching motorised armchair, summon imps, mow down lost souls, and pick a fight with an archduke of Hell, would you? See, I try not to post too many trailers, but I saw this trailer showing five minutes of gameplay from the upcoming expandalone Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell and it seemed like something you might like. I’ll just leave it here, shall I?

Gat Out of Hell, in case you missed the news, sees Gat and Kinzie popping into Hell to save the Boss because reasons. It is also a splendid pun and I am beyond excited with the possibilities for licensed music in this game. Volition promise “a full length musical number” and you guys, if they actually get Meatloaf in for this, I’d beam until my face hurt, and then I’d keep beaming until it bled. I sang the full eight-minute version of Paradise by the Dashboard Light at karaoke with Leigh Alexander. I could barely speak for the next day and don’t regret a second of it.

It’s slated to launch on January 30 in Europe, but January 27 in those North American places. You know, Deep Silver, those oceans boiled away to salt in Hell.

1. LionsPhil says:

“And now we’re going to show off our new key feature — flight.”
    Gat does exactly the same as the Boss super-jumping and gliding in SR4, but with some wing models stuck to his back.

Keep on phonin’ it in, Volition.

And, oh dear. It really does look like Gat is the player-character.

• Kollega says:

In the interest of fairness, the flight mechanic appears to have infinite distance, as opposed to Boss’s gliding ability.

(Not saying that Volition aren’t phoning it in on all the other gameplay mechanics, though…)

• LionsPhil says:

The final upgrade to gliding made it no longer use stamina. I can’t remember if there was a way to gain height again, mind…boosting? SR4 was not a game that made me want to go back to it, unlike 3. :/

Wisq says:

2’s the only one that’s made me want to go back to it so far. But I would go back to 4 before I went back to 3.

• PopeRatzo says:

I wish more AAA companies would phone it in like Volition.

• FurryLippedSquid says:

I was about to heckle you then realised… HE MEANS IT!

Yeah, these games are fun. Bags of it. There’s something very wrong with you if you play SR4 for 30 minutes without laughing gleefully. Phoning it in? Reskin? Fine, I’m ready for some more fun!

• PopeRatzo says:

Of course I mean it. Not only did I enjoy SR4 more than just about any game last year, but I had tears in my eyes during that post-credits Soul Train line dance.

It was a silly, ridiculous game that had a very human core to it. I loved playing a game where it was clear that the developers actually had a lot of affection for both the characters and the customers. Most games leave me feeling like the devs were about as cynical as you can get, if not completely hostile to the people who buy and play the game. But SR4 was like…a gift. Especially in a year of rip-offs and cynicism.

• AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

I’d honestly pay as much as they’re asking for this for a standalone that was just SRIV again, without story missions, in Stilwater. (I like Stilwater.) This is going beyond the call of duty as far as I’m concerned.

• Richeh says:

Volition phone it in, but their games have the charisma and they have the talent to carry it off. There’s a couple of things in the preview that have me thinking “hm, I’d rather have a real-world setting” or “Hm, I’ve always thought gliding and springing up buildings is more fun than flight”. But ultimately, I trust that Volition know fun.

• KDR_11k says:

Volition isn’t even making this.

• Great Cthulhu says:

To be fair, he does say that players have the option to play Gat.

• Richeh says:

Yeah, I don’t see why they’d remove the character editor, it’s always been one of the strongest features of Saint’s Row and I’m pretty sure they know it – they keep releasing it ahead of the game.

What I imagine them doing, and I’m totally okay with, is saying “Gat’s the main character of this game. But you like making your own characters, so fuck it, you can. Just pretend it’s Gat.”

2. MrWolf says:

Dat armchair tho.

3. Jumpyshark says:

I’ve never been huge on Gat, having played SR3 and 4 only, but playing as Kinzie appeals to me as she’s delightfully unabashed and a real force of nature. That said, while I’m interested in more SR story shenanigans as 3 and 4 were hilarious fun and even endearing at times, that trailer didn’t do enough for me to want to play SR4-style gameplay again, even with a newer setting and hell puns, unless the reviews are super positive. If the gameplay isn’t freshened up I’ll hold off for a sale to allow more time since I played SR4.

• Yglorba says:

I think that that’s an almost universal reaction to Johnny Gat. I have heard people repeatedly say things like “why does the game think we care about Johnny Gat? We don’t care about Johnny Gat” and so on; I’ve never met anyone who actually likes him, as a character. He’s just two-dimensional, overblown, and uninteresting — I mean, all SR characters are overblown to an extent, but the game treats him as though he’s supposed to be something special.

To me, customizing your Boss was the core of the SR3/4 experience, so it’s annoying to have that replaced by Johnny Gat.

• LionsPhil says:

He was funnier in 2, although half of that was interaction with a character who they killed off and have so far avoided resurrecting. Since 3, “Gat is cool” appears to be something they’ve forgotten to show, and just take as a self-evident truth they can assert.

There is a slim chance that since this one is set in the afterlife they may get back to situations in which Gat can display some sliver of depth, I guess.

• Tssha says:

As far as I can tell, the canon is that his image took off when the Saints went mainstream. Apparently, so did his ego. But yeah, it’s the masses that love Johnny Gat, and apparently he’s the boss’s best friend or something.

I kinda like Gat though. Not a lot, but I kinda like him.

• PopeRatzo says:

Yeah, Gat is the least interesting of all the characters in Saints Row. A real zero. I’d rather play the whole game as Keith David.

• commentingaccount says:

I would be behind this only if there are They Live, Gargoyles and The Thing references. So many of them.

• Jason Moyer says:

Having never played SR2 (I own it but the PC port is simply not salvageable), I always assumed the “Johnny Gat is cool” thing was supposed to be a joke.

• Dosbilliam says:

Get Gentlemen of the Row. It’s a mod that, firstly, turns off the Turbo Mode-like problem the game has. It won’t give you infinite missiles during the Heli Assault-ish minigame, but it makes the game playable, at least.

• lomaxgnome says:

Yeah, this is pretty much where I am. If I can play as Kinzie the whole time, beginning to end (and not just in multiplayer), I may well buy it day one, it’s only $20. If it has different writing and a somewhat different playstyle for her, I’ll definitely buy it day one. If I have to play as Gat, I’ll just buy it for 75% off in the Winter 2015 sale.

• Johnny Go-Time says:

I love Johnny Gat
      (…and not just ’cause his name is almost as awesome as mine…)

I’d never played any SR games, and had never enjoyed GTA or other open-world game as far as I can recall, but the part in SR3 where he wears a giant mask of his own face to rob a bank (“Who the hell wouldn’t wanna be Johnny Gat?”) made me insta-buy it. Was not disappointed.

• ManApeGoneWrong says:

Same here — his unabashed cockiness is part of his charm, and that mask scene was hilarious.

• plugmonkey says:

Yep. Kinzie would be an insta-purchase. I couldn’t care less about Gat.

• revel911 says:

It is quite funny as it must really depend on where you started your SR experience.

I find Kinzie a bit annoying, but I freaking love me some Gat. Heck, I almost got teary eyed when I thought he died in SR3, but I have been playing like a Lemming since SR1 and refuse to sell my 360 because of it. Gat is like family to my charcater.

4. Bobka says:

I really disliked Gat in SR3 and SR4 – he’s just really unpleasant, and the game treats him like some kind of rockstar. I don’t know why I would want to be him. I guess I would play as Kinzie if we’re given the choice, but not having my own Boss is kind of a bummer.

• FurryLippedSquid says:

“he’s just really unpleasant, and the game treats him like some kind of rockstar”

A snapshot of modern culture. Not yours and not mine, but sadly a hell of a lot of peoples otherwise.

5. Donkeyfumbler says:

So basically Saints Row 3.2?

6. Felixader says:

This looks hell of a lot like a reskinned Saints Row 4.

• PopeRatzo says:

I know, ain’t it great?

• farrier says:

Indeed, they may have a devil of a time convincing some people to buy it.

• LionsPhil says:

These pun threads get more awful every day. Maybe we should styx to our day jobs.

• Rao Dao Zao says:

I dunno, I think we’ve demonstrated some talent in the area.

• Geebs says:

Pun threads are an obol cause in their own right; and they can really flourish with a bit of Charon attention.

• Tssha says:

I think you nailed it Gibbs. We can’t just satan our laurels; we gotta step up and demonstrate why we are the pun lords (of darkness).

…I just realized, I didn’t have to misspell demonstrate to put demon in there. Huh.

7. MrFinnishDude says:

But is it possible to play with my beloved SR4 protagonist?
    If not then I think I might not get this, reskinnedy thing.

8. Gog Magog says:

This looks like such utter shit.
    I love it so much.

9. Lakshmi says:

I hope it’s still co-op. As long as I can still punch my partner in the face with giant purple dildos, all is right with the SR4 world.

10. DrollRemark says:

I never realised Hell had so many high rises and overpasses.

• AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

Where else would people get stuck in traffic on their way to their data entry jobs?

11. Phantom_Renegade says:

Steelport is easily the most boring open world setting ever, and we’ve been there two times already. SR3 and 4 were wildly succesful, maybe do something with that money instead of lazily reskinning it. As for the rest, I’m sure it’ll be hilarious, I’m laughing already, but if we’re playing as Gat, I’m not picking it up day one.

He’s obnoxious, annoying, and more then a bit of a mary sue. For some reason the devs seem to think that people besides them have a crush on the guy. We don’t, I’ve yet to meet anyone who actually likes gat as a character. Kinzie, sure, everyone likes Kinzie.

• commentingaccount says:

To be fair, SR3 was under THQ, and that money is LONG gone.

• Baines says:

Gat wouldn’t be so bad if Volition didn’t act like he was the greatest character ever, where simply having him present was all it took to make something amazing.

Gat wearing a Gat head to the bank robbery at the start of SR3 was good. It was a funny moment, even if it was part of the whole inane “Saints are celebrities” concept. The problem is that after that moment, there is nothing else. Afterwards, it is all characters talking about Gat. For a new player, there is no meaning to when Gat dies because the game hasn’t set up why Gat matters. However the rest of the game is Volition shouting “Gat is super amazing”. Volition follows the Poochie guidelines to character presentation.

Wisq says:

It’s a bit awkward that, in a time when more and more games are adding options to play as a female protagonist and addressing the inclusivity imbalance, Saints Row appears to be taking that away. I seem to recall the series being held up as a good example of that in the past, but I guess no longer.

Of course, I’ll take it all back if it turns out they let you play as Kinzie instead, or if it turns out that Gat just needs to rescue The Boss and then you go back to playing as him/her, but from what I’m seeing so far (and the title of the game), I strongly doubt that.

13. Floymin says:

I signed up solely to register my outrage at people’s absolute ignorance of the franchise. The people commenting here have ONLY played Saints Row the Third and Saints Row 4! The phrase is not “Gat is cool”… it’s “Gat is badass!” The reason Gat was terrible (also non-existent) in Third is because THQ RUINED HIM!!! He was supposed to go out in a blaze of glory, giving the rest of the story its much-needed substance, but THQ said it was “too dark”.
    Gat is for people who followed the entire franchise. Kinzie is for those who came in on Third (and also to keep the “gender equality” bit).

• Floymin says:

Also, as a nit-pick…
      Those who think this is just a re-skin of Steelport sound like the same people who would only read the Cliff’s Notes for books like Tom Sawyer.