Freeware Garden: Whiteout

With tiny splashes of red.

The Antarctic. Everyone loves the Antarctic and its built-in atmospheric vistas, amazing weather  effects and sense of unexplored mystery. It’s no accident it was the setting of choice for The Mountains of Madness, The Thing and now for the fresh and freeware Whiteout.

In Whiteout though and unlike those non-interactive classics, the horrors are solely of the environmental sort.

As you finally decide to leave the relative safety of your camp in search of your missing companion, you’ll have to fight off blizzards, hypothermia and a powerful feeling of disorientation; you’ll also realize that actually leaving the one place you can heat yourself up for too long can be a pretty suicidal idea. Not that deciding to explore the frozen plateaus of Antarctica was wise, but at least you weren’t alone back then.

Walked over 60 paces and I'm still not lost. Hoorah!

Now you are, and what you should be doing is picking up all those handy red flags lying around your tent and heading off to random directions of your choice. Planting a flag every 100 or so meters (or 329 of your non-metric feet) will be mandatory, as those striking red flags are your only hope of not getting hopelessly lost and confused. The beautiful, stark and completely white scenery is lacks any major landmarks.

Happily it doesn’t lack in wonderful secrets to uncover or hints as to your partners whereabouts, and you’ll have a wonderfully adventurous time slowly exploring it. And occasionally freezing to death.

[Whiteout was created for Ludum Dare 30. It’s available for browsers, Windows, Mac and Linux.]

Henke says:

I walked really far and found some killer whales. They weren’t doing so good.

• Niko says:

I’ve found them too (poor whales) and kept going forward and hit a wall, and a few minutes after following it I froze to death.
      link to youtu.be

• slerbal says:

Captain Cabinet,
        Trapped in cabinets
        Will he get out?
        Can he get out?
        Course he can!

2. Hmm-Hmm. says:

The control scheme is really awkward. That may be on purpose, but it does detract from the enjoyment of playing it. As it is, I got tired rather quickly of it mainly because of that. I did manage to find a dead orca first, though.

3. Brinx says:

According to the website it only has a coolness-rating of 65%. Seems like it does a poor job to bring across the theme.

Harlander says:

I think – I’m not sure – that coolness is associated with the team/author of a game, and it’s derived from the number of times they vote on other games.

It’s kind of a meta-score to encourage people to rate other things, if I’m understanding it right.

• Unholymess says:

I think – I’m not sure – that you may have missed that Brinx was making a joke…..

Harlander says:

*checks*

*sad trombone*

Well, I’ll be damned.

Bravo to you, sir.

• Charles de Goal says:

I like that the game has a Linux version, but I hope it isn’t a rushed job. I wouldn’t want the game to freeze.

• MadMattH says:

The controls are already pretty slushy. If you can get past that, I guess you’re cool.
        Reviews are varied. Shackleton didn’t care for it, not completing and dying on his third try. Damn thing just crushed his endurance. Amundsen’s time with it was for the dogs, but he at least got what he was looking for out of it. Maybe with a little more work opinions won’t be so polar.

4. Berzee says:

It like it; it reminds me of that Final Fantasy 7 minigame also about putting flags in snow to avoid getting lost.

5. RARARA says:

Every time I see thing suffix ‘-out’, I expect something along the line of Wipeout/Burnout/Flatout. :(

6. PeopleLikeFrank says:

I think it would help if the player character were wearing trousers.

7. racccoon says:

Its a simple game method to build barren environments & is popping up like daisy in spring plus butter cups. This game creation method just makes it easy for the dev or editor not be a graphic guy because really what are you going to put into an empty environment but crazy shit. lol lazy fuzzies. .