Far Cry 4 Trailer Has A Wingsuit Grenade Plane Attack OK

This new Far Cry 4 trailer is nominally designed to re-introduce Pagan Min, the game’s antagonist, but there’s a moment midway through in which the player drives a dirt bike off a cliff in pursuit of a plane, let’s go and wingsuits through the air, and then blows up said plane with a tossed grenade. That’s exactly the sort of action silliness I liked about Far Cry 3, so take a look below.

Let’s call this the Just Cause-ification of open world games. It’s not enough that they be set in beautiful places and be about shooting things; they also need to feature absurd, liberating movement systems. Wingsuits for all, I say, and single-seat helicopters and mountain-climbing tools and and and.

I played a bit of Far Cry 4 at this year’s Gamescom, and while the session mainly focused on the magical Shangri-La areas, where enemies appear and vanish in puffs of smoke, it was the little taste of infiltrating a fort I enjoyed the most. Those capturable towns were the best part of Far Cry 3 are apparently set to play a larger role this time around. It’s enough to make me excited for this sequel, which is now less than two months away.

Oh, yes, and Pagan Min. He’s the baddie this trailer is about. He still seems like a formulaic repeat of Vaas to me, but I liked Vaas plenty. He was the best part of Far Cry 3’s mandatory story missions.

For another trailer of Far Cry 4, this one being watched by an elephant, I refer you to our correspondent Timothy Walker.

1. kwyjibo says:

Free Tibet: The Video Game.

2. FurryLippedSquid says:

Well of course it does.

3. MeatMan says:

“there’s a moment midway through in which the player drives a dirt bike off a cliff in pursuit of a plane, let’s go and wingsuits through the air, and then blows up said plane with a tossed grenade. ”

I call shenanigans. There are multiple edits/camera changes during that 5-second clip, which seems suspicious and very unlikely that this stunt can actually be executed in the game. But yeah, it did look cool.

Also, not a “dirt bike.” Bike = 2 wheels. :)

• Gog Magog says:

The throwing the grenade part was a blatant cutscene. Probably the rest is too, maybe some minimal control for the wingsuit.
      It’s all the same fucking scripted shit because of course they can’t do any better. How the fuck would they make it work. Only exists to sell the game in a trailer.

4. CookPassBabtridge says:

Yes ok then I will probably buy it thank you now what is for tea

• guygodbois00 says:

Why, Georgian green, of course.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Yes why not helps with a minor thirst functional though uninspiring better when there’s a money off deal at Tescos

5. Hex says:

Not my kinda game, but it’s neat to see a Tibetan protagonist. I hope they do appropriately awesome stuff with gurkas, seeing as how they’re the most frightening fighting men on the planet.

6. Ross Angus says:

Pagan Min sort of sounds like Steve Coogan to me.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

I… NEED a game with a psychopathic Alan Partridge bad guy.

Harlander says:

Weirdly, the first thing that came to mind was ‘Modern’ Minnie Bannister from The Goon Show.

In which case the protagonist would have to be Bluebottle.

• Railway Rifle says:

“You rotten swine, you have deaded me again!”

• corinoco says:

Same with me.

Min & Henry often ended up in Nepal or the Himilayas.

“Did you put the tiger out Min?”

Or

“There’s a little yellow idol to the north of Khatmandu…”

I think the Goons invented memes, because they had them in spades.

• The First Door says:

Is it just me, or does he sound really different to this trailer?

link to youtu.be

7. Jade Raven says:

Far Cry 2 was one of my all time favourite games. It doesn’t look like this series will ever head back in that direction again.

What a shame.

• mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Oh great, now I have to go watch that Deus Ex clip again. THANKS A LOT.

Should probably say something on-topic. Erm. I hope the Shangri-La dream sequences involve riding an elephant that flies by flapping it’s ears at some point. Yes, that’ll do.

• ubik says:

+1 for me. I don’t disagree with any of the criticisms thrown at certain repetitive gameplay elements in it, but I have to say that the setting and tone of the game were much more compelling for me than FarCry 3.

8. IDBUYTHATFORADOLLAR says:

I think that when you have only one interesting character in your game, you should make him the player character. Why should you save the wacko crazy dude for your drawn out cutscenes while I have to play as Blandy McBeige? Let me play as the crazy guy, and then you don’t have the weird dissonance of being a normal dude doing crazy stuff. Let me play the crazy guy and the player will spend the maximum possible time with the most interesting character.

• AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

Because if it’s a first person game, how are you going to watch the crazy guy do crazy stuff? There’s always Saints’ Row for that.

• IDBUYTHATFORADOLLAR says:

Games aren’t watching, games are doing. Don’t make me watch, let me do.

• Railway Rifle says:

I think that, to some extent, the player character is always going to be a hole in the world the player fits into.

9. AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

Decades of video game technological advancement have gone into perfecting that awkward smirk.

10. choie says:

There’s an interesting interview just out in Gamespot today w/Pagan Min’s voice actor (Troy Baker, also the Joker in Arkham Origins) about player agency in the game. Note that the quote is part of an answer to the question about whether Min is all evil or if there are shades here. (He says just before this that he’d rather not say, but basically asks in return: “Is the protagonist a hero or villain? That’s for the player to decide.”)

In my approach, and sometimes this frustrates the shit out of devs, I’ll say, “Wait a minute. This is the point in the game where, me as a gamer, I’d throw the controller down and I’d want to rage quit, because I wouldn’t do that.” And fortunately, I got to work with such a great team that they’d listen and ask, “Why?” They’d help me to understand either why we’d have to do this, or they’d say, “That’s a really good point,” and they’d take it back to the developers. Those are the kind of partnerships that we have because this is all a partnership.

We want to create an experience for the gamer that they feel like they have agency in. That they feel like they’re compelled to continue to play for 10 or 14 hours and go into multiplayer and play for hundreds of hours. That’s something that’s carefully, strategically crafted. So I’m really curious to see your answer to that at the end of this.

Interesting that the actor has some input in the game–not just about his character, but about how the game feels to him as a player. And that the devs will take his ideas into consideration. Nice to read.

11. Mittens89 says:

Yep. Far Cry 3 all over again. Ill take it.

I wouldn’t mind if Far Cry 5 was a slightly more serious affair, like Far Cry 2.

Also, will we be getting a Blood Dragon sequel?

• TT says:

yhammmmm they seem to be replicating FarCry3. Another Psyco that will puppeteer the player thru the game. It was entertaining the first time, enough to carry me to finish it, but i don´t know if more of the same will do it this time.

• Faran says:

What I loved about Far Cry 2 was the fact that you had to take pills for your Malaria as well as the issue with jamming weapons when they got a bit worn out. It annoyed so many players but I frekkin loved it! xD

12. 7vincent7black7 says:

I forgot this was happening. But Hark!, your videogame-playing-Elder-God is quite pleased. Namely because he has learned in the last week about how America allowed Tibet to be arbitrarily taken over by China at gunpoint, and how it mirrors other events and controversies that are going on currently.

13. 2helix4u says:

Farcry 3 hurt me physically to play and I ended up having to get very drunk to finish it because I’d heard it was so good so I was sure the goodness began later on.
    A big doodoo game where every piece of its mechanics happened to stab and snip the ephemeral tendrils of my gaming enjoyment.

Then just slap a big ol’ shitty ironiracist plot wherein the big ironic twist is that the natives aren’t stupid superstitious witchdoctors in need of a white saviour, they’re crafty superstitious deceivers using the white man (and his penis) to do their dirty work. Oh and you can’t rescue your friend from rape until you’ve found the chintamanti stone but its okay because its male rape so its progressive.

14. ElDopa says:

It looks like Just Cause 2 with great voice acting. Which is a good thing.

• gabrielonuris says:

Thanks, now I’m with Bolo Santosi presenting herself in a loop deep inside my mind.

“My name is Boloh Santoseee…”
      “My name is B…” ENOUGH! SHUT UP ALREADY!

15. AyeBraine says:

As a former choirboy and later a baritone, I loved the line “FROM THE DIAPHRAGM!”. A cultured, enlightened villain is a joy to have.