Lovely Mild Puzzling: Lisa

What a lovely day.

Wandering around Lisa is so pleasant that it almost seems a shame to solve the adventure game’s puzzles. On this grey London day, I had a lovely time wandering around its meadow, listening to the birds and the breeze, and tapping my toes to its music. And chasing the sheep. Sorry, sheep. It’s short, it’s free, and it’s delightful, which are three qualities I greatly appreciate on a Friday afternoon.

“It’s a game about herding sheep and exploring a forest,” says creator ‘rubna’, who created the game as a birthday present for his friend Lisa. Bless. You control both her and the dog at the same time, split between mouse and keyboards, so there’s a nice feeling of them belonging together. Characters communicate with pictograms and funny noises, making it a bit like a children’s cartoon. It’s all so warm and lovely, showing Rubna’s affection for his pal.

I haven’t finished Lisa, I should say. I got stuck on a puzzle the first time, meowing at everything, then I chased a sheep somewhere I couldn’t scare it out of. Bloody daft creatures. Perhaps the babbling brook turns red with blood as pillars of flesh and bone rise from the meadow, the skies are darkened by a billion locusts, the dog tears itself inside-out, and Lisa dances around naked but for the skull she tore out a screaming lamb’s face and wears somewhere lewd. That would be a surprise.

Here, enjoy several minutes of Lisa and the dog standing still around in the meadow as life goes on. Don’t mind the weird aspect ratio, that’s just the game:

1. Synesthesia says:

i’m digging those animations

2. RaoulDuke says:

Ta, Alice. Was a nice wee diversion after 100%ing Trine 2 this after-evening, did you or anyone else figure out the tree stump bit through the gate? I found the frog through the log but I’m not sure what to do with him.

We need more games where the main character runs like that also, its one of the most comical run animations I’ve ever seen haha.

• Alice O'Connor says:

There’s a frog through a log? I was turned into a cat by the stump through the gate, then couldn’t figure out my next move. Maybe that frog…

• Niko says:

The frog tells you how to solve the stump puzzle! I’m not sure there is endgame, though. For me it was just sitting as a cat on a stump and listening to the purring :)

• Charles de Goal says:

Where’s the tree stump? I’ve found the frog but it doesn’t say me anything except for a picture of smiling frog. And I didn’t turn into a cat :(

• kor says:

Go right after the log for more meows.

3. Faxanadu says:

Why don’t I see nice adventure games like these as browser games? I would love to spend time in a game like this just strolling around when I’m supposed to be working. The quality of browser games seems really bad right now.

4. Greggh says:

MY GOD! Another homonymous game announce in the press today:

This Lisa vs LISA (kickstarter) link to kickstarter.com

Bedlam vs Bedlam.

Devs: LEARN TO GOOGLE, not doing that makes our lives so much harder.. gaaahh…