First-Person Fiddler: Magenta Sunset’s Minute Interactivity

Oooh!

I’m a prolific first-person poker. Let me loose in a level and I’ll try to press, pick up, inspect, use, turn on, turn off, and break everything. Nothing pleased me more than a good bathroom until I saw Magenta Sunset’s car. A new(ish) trailer for the first-person adventure game shows a little of what creator Joe Wintergreen calls “minute interactivity”–winding down windows, opening the glovebox, playing with lights, plopping your suitcase into the boot. Also it’s driveable, cruising down forest roads and across neon deserts. And that’s just the game’s transport. Me, I’ll shut up. You, you’ll watch this.

Despite the low-poly late-’90s look, it’s actually running on Unreal Engine 4. If you don’t mind spoiling a little of the trailer’s mystery, you can watch a few snippets, in dev videos showing off progress over the past year, stare at some screenshots, or watch a few Vines.

You might know Wintergreen and his studio Impromptu Games from ball-rolling puzzler InFlux.

Sadly, we’ve no word yet on when we might get to actually play Magenta Sunset. “There’s not a lot to play right now, it needs a lot of work,” Wintergreen said on Twitter yesterday. “It wants to tell a story but the story’s nae there yet.” Even the name’s only a working title, though a good’un. Wintergreen’s playing with a load of different projects lately, including a procedurally-generated spaceship thing.

1. rustybroomhandle says:

Tyler Whitney is also the name of the character you are meant to meet on the Orient Express in Jordan Mechner’s The Last Express. Coincidence, or nod? (or GDI?)

2. padger says:

This is so cute!

3. Shadowcat says:

If you want interactive vehicle interiors, you definitely need to check out some of the in-depth flight simulations of recent years. If there’s a knob or a switch or a button or a lever, you can twist/toggle/press/pull it, all in first-person 3D — and each one comes complete with its associated functional effect!

Amazing.

Of course, you’ll not be winding down the window in an A-10. But nor can you eject from your car :)

• grundus says:

“Of course, you’ll not be winding down the window in an A-10.” No, but it has got a better trick: blowing the window all the way off. Also I think you can open the canopy when you’re on the ground.

4. brulleks says:

Ooh ooh, exactly the kind of game / interaction I’ve been craving for ages, and from the maker of one of my favourite indie games from the last couple of years.

Please promise to camp out in their office until it’s complete, RPS.

5. Kefren says:

I recognised the diner from Vampire TM: Bloodlines.

6. xaphoo says:

Wow, this looks like exactly the game for me. And what’s that fantastic music?