The RPS Bargain Bucket: Storms a’coming

I think my country might be trying to kill my laptop. I’ve spent the day trying to cautiously balance a coffee cup in close proximity, while not jumping out of my skin at every flash of lightning. (Spoiler: Typing becomes a herculean ordeal when you have fingers jammed into your ears.) Still, so far, so good. Fenris lives, and I’ve just about figured out how to ignore the fact that the storm has devoured the entirety of the skyline outside my window and my room is worryingly dark. (Also, there are people hooting strangely outside of my door. What?) While I attempt to puzzle the mysteries of the monsoon, enjoy this assortment of bargain bucket games!

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified
$3.99/£2.46/€3.15
I haven’t forgiven The Bureau for not being, you know, XCOM the way we know it, or the myriad of little flaws that pimples its veneer. Maybe I’m just mean. Maybe it could be for you. It’s certainly not a bad game, however, offering a bountiful mix of yays and nays. The worldbuilding is elegant, filled with great little details. The ally A.I? Somewhat less so. Still, it’s down to a decent price, and if you’re willing to brave both the pitfalls and the rigours of picking up a game from GameFly, this might be the discount you’ve been anticipating.

Dino D-Day
$1/£0.74/€0.95
Another problematic game that many found difficult to love. Nonetheless, Dino D-Day wins a few points for being utterly silly. First-person shooter with Nazis, playable dinosaurs, and sheep? Sure, why not. The biggest issue with Dino D-Day is probably the fact that there just aren’t that many dinosaurs. Who really wants to play a human character where they blunder about as a razor-toothed reptile? Who? Seriously. Come on. World War II games are a dime a dozen, but explosive jackrabbits don’t come around every day. Rambling aside, this might be a good opportunity to get on that prehistoric saddle. Dollar for a dino. Sounds like a catchphrase in the making.

Cultures 1 + 2
$3.99/£2.46/€3.15
Oh, childhood. You were a glorious season, now withered on the vine. However, there is only so much space for games even in that youthful era. And, somehow, I completely missed running into the Cultures franchise. (I suspect it might something to do with the fact that Malaysia was on the opposite end of the gaming world, but. Yeah.) It looks utterly charming. There are tiny vikings to fuss over, relationships to nurture, wildernesses to bludgeon into hospitability. It is apparently a hands-on experience, a god-sim-babysitting hybrid that will either infuriate or delight.

Guild Wars 2
$24.99/£15.38/€19.70
Guild Wars 2 officer Mike Woodrow dropped in on my inbox the other day to inform me that the price for this lavish MMO has been sliced in half. Which is awesome. Because, if you enjoy MMOs, there’s a fair chance that you might like Guild Wars 2. At least, if you’re not subsumed by the idea of vertical progression. The game is steeped with neat little touches, and it contains a wonderfully progressive-looking animal race. (The Charr are my favorite thing in the world.) Not everyone will enjoy it, but if you do, this is a great time to pick up the game. Also, here is the requested plug for the RPS Guild Wars 2 group! (P.S: There is also a free trial to dabble with, if you’re currently hovering on the fence.)

Also of note:

The Humble Weekly Bundle – $10/£6.16/€7.88
Is it strange that I am advocating this bundle because of what lurks at its top tier? I think it is, but I’m going to pitch it to you, anyway. Valdis Story: Abyssal City is a lovely game that sees far less attention than it should. We’ve discussed it before in a previous Bargain Bucket, so I won’t go into a euphoric rant. But, it is good. Ask your fellow commentors! Also, also of note: both the Yawhg and Long Live the Queen are magnificent. One offers a strange view of a doomed city, while the other offers the opportunity to live the life of a mostly doomed queen.

Wolfenstein: The New Order – $34.19/£19.94/€28.49
I heard a lot of things about Wolfenstein: The New Order when it first bled into the press. Suspicion, I think, was a common sentiment. However, the game launched to a flurry of surprised delight. People seemed to loved it. A lot. In a way that suggests that this affection was more puzzling than the idea of robotic Reich rascals. The shooting is purportedly top-notch, the graphics clean as a whistle, and the writing splendid. It’s also going for a decent albeit not rock-bottom price, right now! (Make sure to enter the promotional code ‘SEPTEM-BEROFF-ER25XX’ for an even better price.)

Also, also, also of note: The Humble Book Bundle is giving out a free comic issue a day?

1. jezcentral says:

Oh, Wolfenstein. I was so happy that you were good, I bought you instead of Watch_Dogs.

Not one moment of regret since.

• Bull0 says:

Yep, Wolfenstein wins easily in that match-up. Although sadly, of my circle of friends a lot of people bought Watch_Dogs and were disappointed, and very few have bought or played Wolfenstein.

• Zenicetus says:

Wolfenstein surprised me too. I bought it on impulse as a break between the strategy games I’d been playing, and it was a fun romp. I did as much completionist stuff as I could, but I still finished it surprisingly quickly. That’s not a knock on the game; it means I enjoyed it. I have a tendency to get stuck in the middle of games like this and bail out, if they get too tedious. I still haven’t finished Metro: Last Light.

The only criticism I’d have, is that it tried a little too hard to shift gears into emotional interludes between the action. It felt a bit forced, like they had to include it to balance some of the other over-the-top stuff. But it didn’t break the gameflow too badly. And of course it’s very linear and scripted, but for some reason it bothered me much less than Bioshock Infinite did in that respect. If you like singleplayer shooters with a solid campaign, this is a good one.

2. Kefren says:

I’ve got a few freebies if anyone wants them – I gave away a few games last week, now trying to clear the decks. Just contact me via email or Facebook (links on my website, Contact tab) if you want any. Caveat: I THINK these are unused codes I can share, but won’t know until I test. Brackets tells you the site you need an account on for me to transfer the unplayed game/software.

– Dance eJay 6 – music making software. [GamersGate]
    – Magrunner Dark Pulse [GOG]
    – The Witcher [GOG]
    – Dungeons of Dredmore [Desura]
    – Gish [Steam]

3. mrvega says:

Grabbed Wasteland 2 for £15 yesterday. Rather chuffed, great game so far.

• Riaktion says:

What? Where? How? What?

• Cardinal says:

also Divinity Original Sin for £15.90

• Riaktion says:

Is this legit then? Not going to get Steam banned or anything? Seems like such a big discount that for some reason I am suspicious :)

• monkehhh says:

I’ve always thought of CD Keys as being at the legitimate end of the key sellers – I’ve bought Xbox Live time and points, Steam games, etc from them and never had any problems. You can probably find keys cheaper elsewhere but then you might be buying things intended for other markets (e.g. Russia) and that’s where you might get problems with Steam.

• Siegfried says:

Their legit got wateland £13.50 onhttp://www.cjs-cdkeys.com/ but that have some annoying anti fraud protection in place where if u miss the confermation text you have to take a photo with the days date on a peice of paper your id and bank card and a utility bill with address visable ur alowed to cencor some infomation aslong as name and address is visable pretty anoying but worth saving £25 for it more details here worth it if u dont mind waiting for keys

link to cjscdkeys.zendesk.com

• Jalan says:

Ah, takes you back to the days when Lewie wrote this column and there was roughly a “is it legit?” question asked every 2 weeks or so when what was it, simplycdkeys (?) was mentioned as the storefront.

• Boosh says:

great shout, thanks. Just bought, now downloading, came up as £13.99. Includes Ranger edition key, not sure what that includes exactly, but includes soundtrack at least.

• Riaktion says:

Did this work out ok for you? No issues with Steam etc? (I’m UK, not sure if you are?)

• Flea says:

Thanks for the hint! I was thinking about paying $65 for the Torment: Tides of Numenera and Wasteland 2 pack cause it seemed like a good deal, but this was too tempting. I’ll get Torment some other time :)

4. KoenigNord says:

There is also a lot of war at link to indieroyale.com for the next week.

The highly recommended AI War is there, too. So much war!

Harlander says:

I was pretty disappointed that they didn’t just split The Bureau away from the XCOM license and make it its own freestanding 50s-FBI-fights-Martians thing. Without the baggage of the name, it’d have looked pretty neat.

• malkav11 says:

Ultimately, I think it’s on players to ignore that stuff, because it -is- pretty neat. Really well realized alien-invaded 50s farming towns and forests and such. Plenty of ambient details and storytelling. Conversations all over the place in the base after every mission. Lightweight but satisfying squad shooting. And a surprisingly interesting plot, especially in the late game. Nothing super amazing, but more robust and clever than I was expecting. No, it’s not X-Com, but who cares? It’s certainly better than the last X-Com shooter spinoff, and we already have two different flavors of excellent modern remake (XCOM and Xenonauts), so no need to shun a perfectly solid shooter experience just for not being a strategy game.

• Bull0 says:

No, I shun The Bureau because I find the game itself to be excruciatingly dull, not because I’m annoyed at its faltering attempts to be an XCOM tie-in. Although granted, I do find that pretty annoying.

6. Moni says:

There’s a quite few interesting deals on Green Man Gaming with that ‘‘SEPTEM-BEROFF-ER25XX’ voucher. Probably worth doing a bit of shopping around.

The Bureau: XCOM is a really interesting game, because you can see the seams where they’ve taken the game that it was originally planned to be and welded it to the game they needed to make to get the game finished.

• mwoody says:

Thanks for that. I thought for sure Beyond Earth would be excluded from the deal, but it isn’t: I got a preorder for $37.50.

7. cyberninja says:

Also GOG is having a sale on Atari and Kalypso games, I picked up Roller coaster tycoon 1 for £1.50.

8. thedosbox says:

Long Live the Queen was the funniest game I’ve played in awhile, and worth the price of the Humble Bundle alone.

Also loving the conspiracy of plushies.

9. CookPassBabtridge says:

Hooting? Those aren’t people. They’re zombies who used to be sports fans.

• FurryLippedSquid says:

Or zombie owls.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

As this is RPS we now need a new portmanteau. ‘Owlbie’ is much cuter than ‘zombowl’. I’m torn. Should zombie owls be adorable? It might make people think they should be approached.

• GameCat says:

Owls are predators, so if you think that few pounds of zombiefied bird eating your eyeballs can be cute… then yes, owlbies are cute, at least their name is.

I’ll stick to almost harmless traditional zombies.

• Jac says:

Think i’ve contracted zombowl after too much guiness last night.

10. FurryLippedSquid says:

That toy is annoying me. I know I’ve seen the cow/lady/witchdoctor in something. Can’t remember what.

• AlexW says:

I believe that’s Nature’s Prophet from Dota 2 (and possibly the same/similar design from previous Dota iterations, I have no experience with those).

11. BooleanBob says:

Furion’s cliff jungling again, I see…

12. BathroomCitizen says:

When I try to enter the promotional code, GMG Gaming tells me that I cannot add it up to the discount that it already has.

Does anybody have the same problem?

13. Buzko says:

Hi all,

Just logged in to say that the Humble Weekly Bundle is ludicrously good value for just Defender’s Quest, let alone any of the other titles (none of which I have played). RPS has written about DQ a number of times so long-time readers are probably aware of it, but it’s still great. Check out the developers discussing how they wrote the story to serve gameplay needs: link to youtube.com. Their channel also includes a Let’s Play of the game, where they prove that building a game does not make one good at it.

Enjoy!

• InternetBatman says:

Is valdis story worth it if I’m not that interested in the $6 tier? I love metroidvanias.

• suibhne says:

It’s fantastic. But it’s not worth buying the whole shebang for just that game, in my view, unless you know you want to play it now.

SuddenSight says:

Depends on how much you need a good deal. I quite enjoyed Valdis Story, and I think VS alone is worth $10. On the other hand, Valdis Story has been on sale for < $5.00 before if you can wait.

• RegisteredUser says:

I cannot emphasize enough how wonderful DQ and Lars are. You should really check out the related blog and articles on Gamasutra as well to gain some really great insights into development, sales and general game dev stuff. If you’re into that thing.
      Otherwise, Defender’s Quest is simply a really good take on mixing tower defense with some rpg-ish elements and giving decent incentives to replay.
      I bought it for a good chunk more than 1$ and never regretted it. Their attitude towards ongoing updates and being DRM free alone warranted it. These folks deserve your support.

14. suibhne says:

Still waiting for a pre-order discount on Far Cry 4 that doesn’t involve a Dell gift card…but none of GMG’s codes has been applicable to FC4, unfortunately. (To be fair, the Dell pre-order deal is pretty great, but only if you’ll be shopping at the Dell Store in the future – something I’d really have to go out of my way to do.)

15. Xanadu says:

Thanks for the GW2 plug Cassandra, both for the game sale and for the guild
    (And for dropping me in it with my real name, really shouldn’t use work email for gaming stuff…)

UK price is £17.49 until 5th Oct, which isn’t bad at all for a MMO with no subscription

Free trial is on till Wednesday, (link to register.guildwars2.com) and the RPS GW2 guild is happy to welcome you if you drop your details at the link above on the RPS forums (if you want to run in the World v World mode with the guild be sure to choose the European Gunnar’s Hold server)
    GW2: Ohara Scarlett

16. Hideous says:

Do you still take submissions for more plushy pictures? :D

17. the-stax says:

Thought I’d take a look at Dino D-day at that price, but the deal appears to have ended – Bundle Stars lists it at £7 now…