Get Ur Hadr On: Atom Smasher

Here's one I didn't make earlier.

Oh you think you’re so fancy, commanding giant armies, flying planes, driving trains, creating chemicals, and single-handedly gunning down every demon in Hell. Yeah, well, I bet you can’t build a particle accelerator. Go on, try Atom Smasher without watching a tutorial. It’s a short free engineering sim prototype about piecing together sensors, accelerators, colliders, coolers, electrical substations, and so many wires and pipes to make a functional particle accelerator. It’s still early days for the game, but pleasing enough to warm up the sluggish skulljelly on a Monday morning.

You can grab Atom Smasher’s prototype free on itch.io. It has four levels of particle-accelerating fun, each demanding you build a larger accelerator to reach a higher goal. More powerful accelerators are naturally more complex, demanding chains of cooling solutions, power boosters, sensors, and so many fiddly bits. There’s something especially pleasing about the wiring, pulling individual cables out of bundles to run off connections. I admire clean, tidy wiring.

As you’d expect from a prototype, it’s rough, but it works, and it’s an interesting challenge. It has no tutorial so you should watch this demonstration video from creator Craig Perko if you don’t want to end up with a billion-dollar paperweight. Perko talks about adding more parts and more variables to balance, as well as more levels, which sounds just splendid.

1. c3lt says:

An appropriate post for the 60th anniversary of CERN.

2. Gap Gen says:

I love that this exists.

3. Kefren says:

My second novel’s protagonist was obsessed with hadron colliders. I really never thought I’d see one on RPS though. I continue to be surprised.

4. Bimble says:

So much Stun Runner

5. Massive says:

Reminds me of building the particle accelerator in Minecraft Voltz. Love it; I have a raging hadron for this game right now.

6. hotmaildidntwork says:

Theoretical Physicist Simulator 2014 (Alpha)

• YogSo says:

You all have heard it, Half Life 3 confirmed for 2014!

• mr.black says:

Yeah, he really should put a red crowbar Easter egg in some nook of the thing.

Wisq says:

Tried recreating the most advanced accelerator but with the extra caveat that I never reused heated glycol, i.e. it had to go through a refrigerator between every use.

Some interesting outcomes, including a) needing to leave some blank basic pipes in places just so I had enough room to pop cables and pipes around, and b) not actually needing to cool the final collider because things never got hot enough to be a problem. (In fact, I forgot to hook it up and things went fine.) Interesting, and definitely speaks to the “more than one way to do it” aspect.

Of course, my deviation and vacuum were even worse due to the extra length … :)

Looking forward to a more advanced release.

8. Railway Rifle says:

Without much idea of what’s going on, I can still see that this looks rather interesting.

It isn’t quite what I was expecting at first, which was – doesn’t this sound great? – “Kerbal Particle Physics Program”.

9. gunslingerfry says:

My physics teacher did this very thing at CERN :)