Gobl-infiltration: Styx – Master Of Shadows

Styx: Master Of Shadows is a stealth spin-off, framed as a prequel to Of Orcs and Men. While orcs and men blunder about biffing one another, sneaky little Styx the goblin sticks to the shadows, robbing and stabbing as he goes. The game is out on the 7th of October and to prepare perfidious pickpockets around the world, Cyanide have released a video with a developer talkthrough. It’s an instant contender for best video because it contains the statement, “In terms of the mechanics of infiltration, we tried to never lose sight of the fact we were playing a goblin”.

Click on the subtitles/cc button for an English translation, should you require one.

Levels that reward those who look up (sorry dogs) and lots of audio trickery make this a far more appealing proposition than I thought it would be when the announcement came through at the beginning of the year. Along with all the hiding and seeking, gaming’s favourite form of murder makes an appearance as well – that is, of course, the leaping blade attack that all the best assassins utilise as part of their daily routine.

We’ll tell you wot we think before release. I’ve got my green fingers crossed in the hope that smart level design will make Styx worthwhile and, like Graham, I’m tentatively optimistic.

1. Antsy says:

I’m goblin this up as soon as I can!

2. KingFunk says:

Fingers crossed for this – I checked out some of the gameplay videos a while back and there’s certainly potential.

As long as it all flows smoothly and the level design holds up, this could be an unqualified success for Cyanide (as opposed to their usual divisive ‘gems’).

3. Monkeh says:

Been interested in this ever since I saw that 30 min (or something) gameplay video from E3. Really looks like it could turn out to be quite a good stealth game. :)

4. Shockeh says:

I’m really interested in this, and have been for quite a while with one major, major concern/caveat:

Cyanide themselves.

• Oakreef says:

I’m not too familiar with Cyanide but I loved their Game of Thrones game.

Also it’s good to see another Decepticon who appreciates RPS. HAIL MEGATRON.

• revan says:

Yeah. that’s the reason I’m wary as well. Their games tend to look good on paper and during these little demonstrations, but leave something to be desired once they are released.

Fingers crossed that isn’t the case this time.

5. 2late2die says:

I am supremely disappointed Adam that your leaping blade attack link didn’t point to this link to gamereactor.eu

Oh and yeah the game looks interesting, I’ll be keeping an eye out for wot you think about it.

6. YukioT says:

I must say I’m a bit disappointed, all this seems like a very old recipe thrown on the stove: dark fantasy, hard-cover line of sights, assassination, a weak character for stealth gameplay (at least it’s not a woman)…

Sure it can be well done (looks and seems to feel great) but I don’t feel like Styx has a soul of itself – more like a creature of Frankenstein patched up from other used parts. All the character’s skills come from previous characters that were not goblins, so how is this “goblin-centric”?

It’s nice to see they thought about sound, but Splinter Cell has done it a lot in the first three episodes with the wheel controlled move speed. I’m still waiting for a game acknowledging splatters of blood as that has always made me wonder how could guards be so blind they didn’t see an anime character had been killed.

7. slerbal says:

Oh I so hope this is as good as it looks. It has such potential, I just hope Cyanide don’t poison their own well.But if the Wot I Think if favourable I think it might be the first full-price game I will have bought all year…

8. derbefrier says:

This game looks very promising. Please don’t suck

9. Steve Catens says:

Interesting concept. Unfortunately, Cyanide. So…

10. slerbal says:

looking at the comments above and in previous articles, Cyanide really do have *quite* the reputation, don’t they? it would be lovely if they can redeem themselves.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Cyanide has failed me time and again, so I’m not willing to swallow the (Cyanide) pill before I see some reviews.

• slerbal says:

their choice of name is horribly ironic… luckily i’ve not been burned but i am super cautious around them as their rep seems deserved.

• Darth Gangrel says:

I’ve not bought any of their games, but they’ve disappointed me several times. What could have been a good game turned out to be mediocre or worse once the reviews showed up.