Have You Played… You Have To Burn The Rope?

Yesterday’s meme, today! It is, however, always possible that some of you missed out on You Have To Burn The Rope, possibly the most fiendish and inscrutable game of 2008.

2008 wasn’t so long ago, but I think we’ll agree that games have really dumbed down since those halcyon days. Indeed, where once we needed to read the words ‘you have to burn the rope’ and then ascertain quite how we would burn the rope, now all we need do is simply watch an NPC burn the rope for us. Kids today, they don’t know they’re born. I’ll bet they’ve never once burned a rope. If ever they did encounter an unburned rope, they’d just expect Captain Price to turn up and burn it for them.

Disgusting.

RaveTurned says:

I could never work out what I was supposed to do in this game.

• staberas says:

neither and i have finished dark souls D:

• Gap Gen says:

Yeah it just says You Have To and then stops. Maybe I should just email Burn The Rope and ask them?

• mr.black says:

I thought it was rather rude. I have to burn, right from the start. And I can’t change my name from “the Rope”. The nerve!

• TomA says:

It’s probably because all of Dark Souls bosses combined can’t match up to the terror of the grinning colossus.

2. Groove says:

I missed this at the time, have done some reading on it from the archives, and I’m not sure if I really get the whole joke. Obviously it’s a commentary on handholding and it’s quite funny, but was there anything else to it? The response to the game seems like an over-reaction if that’s it.

• bglamb says:

You stayed around for the credits right?

• Groove says:

I just watched the ‘teaser’ since I’m not able to play at the moment; I assumed that the teaser was everything of importance. I heard that there was a song but I thought it couldn’t be that big a deal. I will check later.

• JeepBarnett says:

It’s hard to believe, but back then it was pretty novel to create tiny game that is a self contained joke. This, the fact that it was a web game, and sudden growth in social media made it super portable for sharing and the viral spead.

The best part was that 1:10 people who played genuinely got stuck because they failed to read, and asked for help. You could mock them and then they’d laugh at themselves when they’d figured it out.

Then there was the meta commentary on games getting easier. Add the charming song that makes your journey sound more epic than due. And this was only a few months after Portal, so maybe it was a riff on those credits (or directly calling out Portal as too short, I’m not sure).

Aerothorn says:

It was most definitely a riff on the Portal credits, that was half the joke :)

Jerodar says:

Gah now I’ll be whistling that tune for the next month again…

4. Gothnak says:

If i answer the question when i first read it, it would be no, but now, it is yes. There was an area in between for a while where my answer was more quantum.

5. pullthewires says:

I like the idea of this feature, and maybe this isn’t the best example to bring it up on, but does anyone else feel like the articles themselves are a bit short? A little bit more depth, putting the game in context etc. could really make this an essential read.

6. cyrenic says:

Something about that game seems so familiar.

7. Lambchops says:

2008, eh? Was it really that long ago. I doubt I’ll remember what to do in the darn thing now . . .

• mr.black says:

You had to… turn the dope, I believe. It was dark and edgy. Real dark…

• slerbal says:

quern the pope?

Rublore says:

I think you had to learn the Mope. IIRC, it was one of those dance moves that’s really popular at the time, but gets forgotten quickly.

8. Banyan says:

The only less-of-a-game game at the time was Quest for the Crown. link to onemorelevel.com

9. Nereus says:

I’m too busy texting and doing recreational drugs to burn ropes. It’ll go on my to-do list.

10. jamebrooks224 says: