Hexcells Fan-Made Editor Will Feed Your Hexual Appetite

Hexcells, the best new puzzle in forever, may now be truly infinite. The third and final game in the puzzling series, Hexcells Infinite, was released with a puzzle generator, that allows the creation of 10,000,000 challenges. Which, while certainly more than anyone could complete in a lifetime, falls short of the title’s claim. SHOCKING. However, a canny group of modders have since built a level editor for the game, and gained creator Matthew Brown’s blessing. In fact, the game already allows you to load in levels built with it.

The editor is really neat, very smartly made, intuitively understanding the nature of the puzzles rather than relying on your doing everything from scratch. It’ll even check the levels to ensure they can be solved.

There’s a guide to the editor, getting hold of it, building puzzles, and publishing them, right here:

People are beginning to share their own created puzzles via a subReddit.

And for those who want to go all the way down the hexagonal rabbit hole, take a look at this:

Big thanks to Euan for letting us know.

1. golem09 says:

John, you mentioned a puzzlegame that was some weird evolution of Picross a while back. It was pretty awesome (although there was almost no material available online), but I just can’t remember the name.

2. Geebs says:

This is a good thing. The problem I’ve found with the infinitely generated puzzles is that, unfortunately, they all suck.

• Humppakummitus says:

Yes. They’ve got unnecessary clues and mostly they’re too easy and somehow messy. Maybe the guys who made the level editor can make a better one, since it can already measure difficulty.
      Anyway, I’m excited about the custom rules, there’s already a couple of good examples in the subreddit.

• bonuswavepilot says:

I have a notion or two about doing better PCG levels. This will make it a lot easier to test my hypothesis. If it turns out not to be mere hubris, I will be sure to check in here.

(I thought I had a similar great idea bout auto-generating sokoban levels years ago, but as it turns out the solution space for sokoban levels is bloody enormous (and being able to solve levels to evaluate their difficulty was a necessary step to my plan). Still, I did end up building a sokoban solver which finds push-optimal solutions for levels, problem was it also took forever and ate massive amounts of memory).

• Shadowcat says:

While it’s true that the generated puzzles are not as good as the custom ones, I don’t think that’s a surprising thing, and I’ve been quite impressed by the generator’s output. To my mind it does a remarkably good job.

Also, make sure that you re-download the game if you were having trouble with the pulsing effect for the blue hexes. There’s now an option to replace that with a simple outline.

3. Lacessit says:

I hope it’s all about the hexual healing.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Yeah, if the soundtrack doesn’t feature that wonderful song of Marvin Gaye, then I’ll be vexed and hope that the devs will be hexed.

4. Continuity says:

Hexcells. I think i’d like this game much more if it was game over when you “hit a mine”, there just isn’t enough incentive to ace the puzzles and without that its a bit blagh.

5. mixmixmixmix says:

just use my shotgun approach – immediately restart when a single incorrect hex is clicked.

• bonuswavepilot says:

Yep, that’s how I do it too. (Though I will admit to taking a screenshot and ‘cheating’ my way back to where I was on one of the world 6 levels where I hit a mine thanks to a mis-click rather than a mis-think)

6. AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

Don’t say ‘hexual’ again, John.

7. bonuswavepilot says:

Incidentally – not only has Matthew Brown given his blessing, he has actually used the editor to make a few levels himself. (Only 3 though).

link to reddit.com

particlese says:

Oh, man, that is neat. I saw the news on Steam yesterday and thought it was awesome Matthew embraced the modding officially and so soon after the release of this latest, final game. I honestly wasn’t expecting the editor to be so good, though. And open sourced, no less. I’m going to have to poke around in there. Not to be useful, most likely, but to see how the sausage-maker is made. At least the part which solves the sausages.