X Rebirth Blasting Off To Teladi Outpost In First Expansion

Zoom.

Smugglers and pirates are among the space-things coming to X Rebirth in its first expansion, The Teladi Outpost, developers Egosoft have announced. Almost a year after the space sim’s awful launch, they feel enough fires are out that they can start making new things. Egosoft still spraying foam and sealing off bulkheads, mind, as they plan to release another two big patches by the time the expansion launches in December. In recognition of the year of fire, pre-orders are free to current spacemen.

The expansion will bring a new star system with a new storyline, a big new space station owned by the Teladi space-lizardmen, new Teladi ships, and other space-odds and space-ends. Until November 1, folks who own X Rebirth can head on over to Steam to pre-order for free. After that, everyone will need to pay for it. It’s a funny way to handle this. Perhaps Steam vouchers would’ve worked better.

In terms of fixing up the base game, patch 2.5 will be out “soon”. Along with fixes and whatnot, it’ll bring a new menu system, an external camera (a baffling exclusion from the base game), new shipyards, and more.

Beyond that, Egosoft are planning another big version jump to 3.0 alongside the launch of the expansion. It’ll bring more fixes and “new gameplay features”. What do you hope those unspecified features might be, dear readers?

1. rustybroomhandle says:

Kinda just wanted this to be another regular ol’ instalment in the X series, so any features I want are ones that slowly migrate it back to what made the series what it was.

• SomeDuder says:

Yea, instead of this weird new story about greedy spacelizards, I’d rather they just kept working on the core game. Im pretty sure noone is playing the X series for its terrible storylines (and oh god haha the German Japanese voice-“acting”)

• iniudan says:

It’s no worse then the usual Japanese media German voice acting. =p

2. Finstern says:

I personally don’t think there’s anything this game can do to recover from it’s disastrous launch. Almost a year later and the game still runs terribly and breaks for no reason what so ever.

3,556 reviews and 2,699 are negative… There’s no turning that ship around.

• BobbyDylan says:

Yeah, when you check the team apps stats, highest number of concurrent users is like 130.

• Lagran says:

Peak users 14,664 but that was release week/month. By December, max concurrent dropped to 2,526; January 2014 1,158. End of April 2014 blipped up to 1,669 (due to the 2.0 patch) from end of March’s 563 but by end of May had gone sub-1k and was back to April levels by June.

83% loss of players within a month.

• Maxheadroom says:

here you go:
          link to steamcharts.com

Yeah im sure the 200 or so people still playing it will be very happy about this. the rest of us, not so fussed.

In other news, Colonial Marines DLC comming soon!

• sinister agent says:

Yeah, that doesn’t surprise me at all, given all the stories I imagine we’ve all heard, even if we haven’t played it ourselves. I respect that they’re making an effort and particularly that they’re giving it to existing buyers for free, but I’d be very surprised if this turns out to have been a worthwhile use of their time.

3. chiablo says:

Fool me once, shame on Egosoft
    Fool me twice, shame on me.

4. Tyrmot says:

So, has this been ‘fixed’ enough to have another look at it? I was interested, until the launch problems blighted it somewhat.

• Humanji says:

Sadly, no. They should have just abandoned it after launch and started on the next game. The game was not only broken in it’s programming, but also in it’s design. There’s no way of fixing it without starting from scratch. No amount of patches or expansions will help it.

• Continuity says:

I don’t know why they didn’t just keep building on X3, that has a huge fan base that would of gobbled up a decent expansion. Although admittedly by X3TC it was rather bloated and complex.

Craig Pearson says:

That’s not true. They’ve been heavily updating it, but I can’t recommend any interest in it. It’s still pretty awful.

5. Krazen says:

They are slowly, very slowly, getting the game to how it should have been on release. However even if with the new patch(es) it’s stable & functionally usable, I’m still not sure it will be any fun.

• spec10 says:

unfortunately, if the game launched today with the current patches applied, it think it would still get a pretty bad reception.

huge performance issues, huge balancing issues (economy is completely broken), no empire building possible due to the forementioned and some more …

this game is utterly broken.

• Kempston Wiggler says:

Ironic, given the amount of focus the game gives to the economic side of things, their economies themselves have always been laughably broken. Most of the best mods fix that for them. Nice to see some things never change.

Wait. No, it isn’t.

6. Bladderfish says:

This is the game that made me vow never to pre-order again. It was complete garbage.

The devs are liars and cheats and should not be supported in any way, shape or fashion.

• phelix says:

Now now, that’s a bit strong. I faintly recall the launches of previous X games also being disastrous, and those, for the most part, turned out fine (IMHO).
      Call me naïve but I still have faith in Egosoft.

• Ravenholme says:

Those one still had a salvageable core game though. X-Rebirth… just… doesn’t. It is riddled with design decisions that just don’t make sense at all.

• Zenicetus says:

No, I’m not cutting them any slack on that. They held back on releasing any preview code to reviewers, which is the damning evidence that they knew how horrible the game was. They knew it was terrible and they released it anyway, taking advantage of the blind loyalty of the fan base to grab some quick pre-order and Day 1 sales, before everyone realized what a disaster it was. That’s scummy behavior in my book, and a reason never to buy another game from the company.

• Fiatil says:

Yeah, this is a different kind of failure. I bought X3 about a month after launch; it blew my mind. It was buggy, but the potential was obvious. It was an amazing space sandbox and I knew some day I would build the ultimate trade empire within it, and that I did. It didn’t need Terran Conflict to be fun; the expansions were great but the base game was great after a few patches.

X Rebirth wasn’t just buggy. The game lacked so many features and was so basic that there’s no way it can become something akin to what X3 and expansions are now. It would take just as much time to make X4 as it would for them to redesign X Rebirth in a way that scratches a similar itch as the rest of the X series, and with the way the game runs it seems like they would be better off scrapping the engine either way.

After playing it for a few hours, I told my friend that it reminded me of SimCity. The game was broken in some ways that were obvious, but it felt like there were probably 10 other broken sytems for every 1 you noticed off of the bat, and the further you dug the more depressing it was going to get. The modding scene confirmed this pretty quickly.

The obvious response is “Just go play X3”, but it appears that no one else wants to play what X Rebirth is “supposed to be” either.

• Martel says:

Same for me, don’t even want to do kickstarters after that one.

7. mf says:

How about no? Im pretty sure downloading the DLC is a waste of bandwidth. You can not patch out or DLC up very-very bad game play design. How on earth did they think this shit is going to fly in the first place is beyond me.

8. Zaxwerks says:

Not that it’s essential to the gameplay but I pray they do something about the character models, they scare the bejesus out of me they are freakishly terrifying.

Wisq says:

I’m a bit surprised and worried that they’re still trying to make this work, rather than just going back to the drawing board and making a proper X4. I realise how hard it is to give up on something you’ve put a lot of time into, but it seems like the current approach is “Rebirth or bust”, and I’m not sure there’s any possible outcome except “bust”, which would be sad for everyone.

• Zenicetus says:

It doesn’t make sense to me either, especially with Elite:D at a stage now where it’s playable and fun, if a bit expensive in the Beta stage. Who do they think is going to buy this game, who hasn’t already bought it? Do they still have boxed versions sitting in retail stores or something?

There is at least some demand out there for a traditional empire-builder like the previous X-games. Why go head-to-head against Elite and Star Citizen with a turkey like this?

• Retorrent says:

Yeah but you can only try to resuscitate a dead body so long before you just have to call it off and make an official time of death.Sadly this game was dead on arrival, it may have started with good intentions but some where during the creation process it crashed and burned and instead of calling it off they dragged the half dead body out for the world to play.

10. kevmscotland says:

Their post launch support has been commendable.
    I personally felt Rebirth was a very misguided step towards simplifying the series and the fact it was horrifically broken didn’t help their cause.

That said, more updates still coming and an expansion that’s free to current x-rebirth owners is a good way of keeping fans, even if some of them wont appreciate the sentiment.

• Fiatil says:

It’s hard to appreciate the sentiment when the game was a pretty fantastic episode in false and misleading advertising. We all knew that there was one ship; it seemed like a red flag but hey, the rest of the game looks amazing!

Look at how dynamic our economy is; you can see the stations actually producing goods and moving along conveyor belts from space! They never said “The world is just like the rest of the X series!”, but I sure don’t remember them saying it took place over about 6 sectors and 15 space stations. And then no one had pre-release code to review the game before release. So yes, it is a bit tough to feel all happy and warm inside at the post release support.

The only gesture of goodwill that will work is to make X4. No one will pre-order it after Rebirth, but if they actually make a good game then the community will come back. It’s sort of odd to me for anyone to expect a constant polishing of a game that is fundamentally flawed to win back everyone’s hearts. My impression of the game (before obtaining my first and only refund from Steam) is that they could fix every bug in the game,and it would still be an extremely hollow experience compared to both prior X games and all of the fantastic looking space games coming out soon.

11. Kreeth says:

Will there be some kind of re-review so I can decide whether or not it’s worth buying this yet?

• amateurviking says:

Seconded, draft Craig in to have another look at it!

Craig Pearson says:

I cannae dae it, cap’n.

• Maxheadroom says:

Mac’s ‘Worth a Buy’ chanel on You Tube says it’ll be getting a re review shortly.

Safe to say he didnt like it on release (something about he’d rather give 30 quid to a tramp, watch him buy a bottle of whiskey and pour it over his head)

• Zenicetus says:

If RPS does a re-review, it needs to be by someone who is also playing Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous, to put it in perspective. Also someone who knows about the Xbox code controversy, as a hint to why it took 7 years to release this turkey.

Craig Pearson says:

I know about all those things. Gotta say, I can’t face it. And I can’t face Star Citizen, which needs a huge amount of work.

Elite all the way!

• Maxheadroom says:

Not sure if you’re trolling or not, but i kinda agree with you.

The gulf between where they’re at now and whats promised is huge, and getting wider with every stretch goal.
          It’s like being promised a Holodeck while being shown Space Invaders

12. Hunchback says:

I’ve been playing that new space sim, Starpoint Gemini 2 for a couple of hours these two days, and i am having 50/50 feelings about it. I was tempted by people calling it “EVE Offline” or “Eve Light” etc, but so far it’s been REALLY much shallower and simple than EVE, in terms of just about everything. It feels more like an arcady space shooter with some RPG elements and sandboxy world. However, i am not that deep in yet, i have yet to buy a new ship etc, maybe things pickup later. But so far i’ve been grinding boring missions in an MMO style “go there, kill X pirate, collect reward”, which to be honest is really not interesting and the whole “sandbox” aspect seems lost to me since you can’t (or maybe it comes later?) really build an empire or do much of anything else than running stupid missions while waiting to gain levels/get cash to buy a new ship and continue the main mission.

Sooo, with all that said, i was just right now looking at the X page, wondering if it’s better than it apparently was at launch. I read some reviews, and it seems like it STILL is bad, even after all the amazing support the devs are putting out. So, could anyone please let me know if the last X is worth spending time/money on, today? I am kinda looking for something more strategic and larger than what Gemini has to offer so far.

• Artist says:

Yes, unfortunatly its indeed still bad! Nearly one year of patching and its kinda playable -sometimes – still they did not patch the fun back in. Nor a working economy, or deep gameplay, or balancing… Feel free to continue a somewhat endless list of fail… =/

• Martel says:

Just get X3, it’s still a good game and far and away better than Rebirth. It’s very complicated but a lot of fun.

13. Rodney Dee says:

I gave Rebirth a first try two weeks ago. Installed it right at launch but never played… then I thought with version 2.0 and all the patching it might be worth some time.
    After about 2-3 hours of playing I quit, feeling a strong urge to reinstall X3:TC (which I did).
    This is not about bugs or stability problems – the game simply does not make any sense to me.

14. Barberetti says:

I stopped giving a shit about this game as soon as they announced it was to be Steam only. Considering how it turned out, looks like I made the right choice.

*goes back to playing Elite: Dangerous*

• Kaeoschassis says:

See, this is the thing. I haven’t bought it yet. Based on previous X games I was gonna give it a year or two and then grab the ‘fixed’ version and, probably, have a blast. I’m actually fairly sure I could still do that but now…
      Well now they’re competing directly with Elite:Dangerous and that just cannot end well.

15. daver4470 says:

The real questions that I think need to be answered:
    (1) At what heavily-discounted Steam pricepoint would X Rebirth be not a complete waste of one’s money?
    (2) Is it a better gaming experience than Driving School Simulator and Roadside Assistance Simulator?

• Fiatil says:

That depends; do you place any value on actually being depressed by a game?

16. K_Sezegedin says:

I’d like to know how the lights are still on at Egosoft….

17. DThor says:

A game like this is a huge ship to turn around, while as a gamer I might think just walking away is a viable option (I don’t), you can’t really do that. I must admit, though, that no amount of patching will make this game *fun*, which is sort of the point of a game. Admittedly a subjective term, I can at least acknowledge that games like Wasteland 2 appeal to hardcore micromanagers more than me – I see the depth and potential fun for some gamers, but this game is so joyless and tedious… it’s just a bad base to build a game on, even if every single last bug was squished. I hate saying it, but it’s true.