Freeware Garden: Die Sieben Raben

The year is 1876. The place Copenhagen, Denmark. The game Die Sieben Raben by Jón Kristinsson and it really does seem that mysterious gentleman Mr. Amsel has just gotten a most important and plot-forwarding letter.

But, with this (Die Sieben Raben, that is) being the particularly short game it is, I have decided to not divulge another thing about the story it so masterfully tells, though I will admit it did tickle my perverted sense of humour. And, yes, I laughed. Despite its obviously dark-ish overtones, the looming sadness and grim illustrations I laughed. And then played it again, chose differently and laughed again.

Die Sieben Raben, German for The Seven Ravens, is loosely based on the Grimm fairytale of the same name and also happens to be a choose-your-own-adventure offering that decided to present itself as an interactive graphic novel. One very obviously inspired by the style of Hellboy too, in which you’ll get to click on speech bubbles and images instead of the more traditional text.

The game was created for the Public Domain Jam and is powered by Twine something very Twine-like. You can and thus should enjoy it in the debatable comfort of your browser.

1. Jón says:

Oh, wow! Thanks so much for writing about my game! Just a tiny correction: It’s not actually running on Twine, it’s my own little script written using Meteor.js, and the link is sort of broken (should just link to plain old http://www.diesiebenraben.com without the unique id string afterwards!) Sorry for the confusion! :o

2. Niko says:

It’s nice! I do have one problem though – when you choose from two objects, they both light up, so it’s not obvious there was some choice.

• Jón says:

Ah, right! Thanks for the feedback. I’ll look into it, but at the very least I’ll keep it in mind if I ever make a bigger game with this framework. :)

3. njursten says:

Lovely drawing style!

4. melnificent says:

The title screen looks nice, but all I get is a loading message :(

• Eggman says:

I had to reload the main site a couple of times. Reload just raben.com, not the raben.com/bla7bla2 code that gets generated when you enter the site.

5. Thirith says:

At a first glance this looks rather Mike Mignola. Which is a good thing.

6. heretic says:

Very nice! Great art style, I really like the games that Konstantinos finds for us

also it took a while for mine to load, it’s not immediately clear it’s still loading but takes a while on my crappy connection

7. bonuswavepilot says:

3rd para, you’ve got “Saban” instead of “Sieben”.

8. SuperTim says:

I just logged in to say that I really liked it. It’s surprisingly how little you need to tell a good story.

• Jón says:

Thank you very much! Yeah, it’s intentionally very minimalistic storytelling-wise because.. well, I’m shit at storytelling! :O