Gore You With The Details: The Evil Within

I have reason to believe that the latest trailer for The Evil Within is directed at a very specific audience. It might even be an audience of one. I share it here just in case the individual in question happens to be reading this website, for it now contains all of the answers he or she will ever need. The person we’re seeking still thinks that The Evil Within will be a subtle and unnerving psychological horror experience, the sort that haunts dreams and takes up residence somewhere under the skin. The rest of us know – and can see final confirmation below – that it is a game in which everything is either bleeding, screaming or wearing its organs on the outside. While exploding.

There it is, ladies and gentlemen. I must admit that I wasn’t expecting the city to start collapsing – I’d imagined the destruction and carnage would be more localised, but it seems the evil within is heading without and painting the whole town red. That actually makes me far more eager to play. If the game’s going straight for the jugular with its serrated incisors and lunatic cackling, I hope it doesn’t stop gnashing while there’s a thread of flesh remaining. Go wild, The Evil Within, and find your home in the kitsch of the gloriously overloaded gorefest.

The game has pedigree, of course, coming from the mind of Goof Troop designer Shinji Mikami, who later went on to direct Resident Evil. The Evil Within looks to have more in common with the fourth and finest game in the series, which began with not-zombies and only ended after throwing every possible murderous thing at protagonist Leon’s pretty little face. Observe.

Mikami was also the director of God Hand, a game that channels camp and kitsch better than almost any other. I’d gladly take a pinch of its sensibility mixed in with the grim and the gruesome, and I’ll gladly stumble my way through the haunts and the horrors of The Evil Within. Not long to wait – it’s out in a couple of weeks, on the 14th.

1. Melody says:

Like you, I’d have preferred some subtle psychological tale; still, I was ok with a RE4-esque survival horror game, but for some reason the trailer put me off when it mentioned the upgrade system.

• Oakreef says:

I wouldn’t really call Resident Evil 4 a survival horror game but maybe I’m just a snob.

• commentingaccount says:

Yeah I can’t really call RE4 anything but a slow paced action game with some horror trappings and an attempt to stay creepy throughout.

• Baines says:

RE4 didn’t attempt to stay creepy throughout. It started creepy, but it knows it is no longer creepy by the time it leaves the village. Salazar’s castle and the military island know that they are straight up action games where you mow down hordes with powerful guns.

• commentingaccount says:

I’d say it lessens by the second half of the castle island and is almost entirely abandoned by the island, but the castle starts off with the same creepy vibe. The chanting the cult members do, the first area with the bug creatures, etc.

Too bad it never goes beyond a creepy vibe. The original RE games weren’t all that creepy or atmospheric, anyway. They relied on lack of resources and cheap scares. RE4’s creepy feeling at the beginning and up until the middle is a remarkable improvement.

I wonder if anybody will actually make a creepy action game that stays that way throughout. The only one I can think of to date is The Suffering. Possibly the sequel, I never played it.

• Gog Magog says:

What is considered subtle?

• BreadBitten says:

I may be in the minority here, but I for one am glad that this game is not a “subtle psychological tale.” Penumbra started it, Amnesia perfected it, and then every other game that came out under that umbrella just burned it to the ground. I’m glad that a post-Amnesia horror game is finally going to let me fend for myself and invoke horror and tension through interactive gameplay instead of just atmosphere and canned scares.

• AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

I think neither a haunted mansion ride of canned scares nor a bunch of angry bleeding dudes turned inside out shouting BOOGA OOGA OOGA ARE YOU SCARED YET are what I’d consider an engrossing horror experience.

2. tiltaghe says:

“while sometimes your enemies may appear to be dead, it’s best to make absolutely sure.” [and burn their corpses]

> very interesting mechanic! I hope it’s not just a gimmick but actually used throughout the game with limited resources!

Anyway, this is a game I am really excited about

• orient says:

Wonder where he got that idea.

• int says:

Well, there’s no problem. If you have a gun, shoot ’em in the head. That’s a sure way to kill ’em. If you don’t, get yourself a club or a torch. Beat ’em or burn ’em. They go up pretty easy.

• tiltaghe says:

My take on this would be: you have to kill them “twice”. The fire is the definite method, that allows to really get rid of the monster, or else he will inevitably come again from the dead to harass you during the (genre-induced) backtracking.

This is nothing new and in thematics similar to zombie fiction or vampire myth but I think it can really strike home with the dynamics of the genre. I would say this work better if you have a few very menacing enemies and intricate levels rather than open areas filled with hordes of enemies, in which case it would become a chore…

• Baines says:

It was done in the Resident Evil Remake for the Gamecube. Zombies that you had killed could revive as the Crimson Heads given enough time, unless you destroyed their head or burned the body.

In a way, it was kind of funny as it gave the player more incentive to simply not kill zombies that you didn’t have to kill.

3. orient says:

It looks so much like RE4 (plus a bit of stealth) that I’m A) very happy and B) worried that it’s going to get shat on for feeling dated.

• BreadBitten says:

The way enemies just shamble towards you definitely reeks of Los Ganados, but in general the game looks much closer to the slower paced horror of The Last of Us, and I’m not complaining if this game ends up playing like that one.

4. Low Life says:

After playing through RE4 for the first time last week I’m about 5981% more interested in this game than I was. Still not exactly sold on it, but I’ll definitely check what people are saying when it’s released.

5. Wulfram says:

This is the game that won’t publish minimum requirements, but is saying that you should really have 4GB of VRAM, right?

• tobecooper says:

They would betray their legacy if the port wasn’t as shitty as the legendary Resident Evil 4 PC port of 2007.

• DanMan says:

It’s using id tech 5, so you already know what’s coming. If you don’t have lots of RAM, prepare for texture loading issues.

• inf says:

You have texture pop-in issues regardless. I have 6GB VRAM, and not a single idtech5 game has looked good, or ran without issues. In my opinion, while technically having some potential (especially for limited hardware like consoles), it’s an engine that should be killed with fire and reduced to abandonware.

• killias2 says:

I don’t understand why this isn’t bigger news. 4gb of VRAM is an insane requirement. 98% of PC gamers fall short here.. because it’s insane.

• Wulfram says:

Well, the journalists probably have the machines to run it.

6. Geebs says:

It would really suck if you needed to clean your glasses but suddenly couldn’t remember the combination to your head-safe.

• Anthile says:

Hmm, looks like a case of Staring Rotary Combination Lock.

• Turkey says:

The safe on his head is metaphorical, to open it up he has to join a support group and admit he has a problem.

• Geebs says:

The barbed wire represents conjunctivitis, right? Or possibly tetanus, come to think of it.

• Turkey says:

Yeah. The safe-head’s special move is to punch the main character in the right shoulder and throw muffled middle-school insults at you from within the safe.

7. Turkey says:

I feel like this is the natural end-point for this kind of survival horror game. They’ve thrown everything but the kitchen sink in terms of modern game concepts at it, to the point where the line between character-action and survival-horror is just down to subject matter.

I’m curious to how well it’ll do compared to this new generation of AAA Slenderman games coming out. Both Silent Hills and Alien – Isolation look amazing, but I’m skeptical if they have enough bang for your buck to justify a full price purchase.

8. DrScuttles says:

The demo at EGX gave you bugger all ammo which was quite nice. Resi 4 always gave you enough (often more than you could carry anyway) to cope. Had some entertaining death animations, too. Failing to defuse a bomb caused the top half of Grizzle McPlayerman to disappear in a chunky mess leaving his legs and crotch to pathetically topple over. And then I got sucked into some kind of surprise meat grinder and made a mess everywhere.

9. golem09 says:

fourth and finest game in the series

wot?

10. Richeh says:

It doesn’t seem like a good sign that their big clever play for “turn obstacles into assets” is illustrated by an exploding barrel. I wouldn’t expect the preview trailer for a survival horror game upcoming in 2014 would brag about having the tactical gameplay mechanics of Doom.

• Baines says:

I don’t know, considering the game industry seemingly forgot half of what Doom was doing, maybe it is a bragging point.

11. The Sombrero Kid says:

Can’t we all just be happy we’re finally getting a RE4 sequal so we can stop crying at how bad RE5&6 were?

• AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

I was going to say that RE4 wasn’t really stringy with ammo as the trailer says Evil Within (EW? ha ha ha) will be, but maybe giving you stealth options is a way to limit your resources without turning down the action. If this game is half as good as RE4 I’ll forgive it for pretending to be horror.

12. Hex says:

GEE I WONDER IF IT ALL TAKES PLACE IN HIS HEAD.

13. Da5e says:

Ooo, that image at the top reminds me of the vocalist from Portal: link to i.imgur.com

Excellently evil-sounding death metal band, they are.

14. AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

“You need to be creative” *player shoots a red barrel, which explodes*