Check Out My Patches: Battlefield 4’s Autumn Update

Iron Maiden, Motörhead, Megadeth, Judas Priest... yep, they're all still there. Relax.

You like patches, kid? I couldn’t help but notice you checking out my cool leather jacket. Yep, that’s a Counter-Strike beta 5.2 patch. Best damn version, I say. And look, on my shoulder: CS beta 3.1. The last days of gun-running, that one. Hey, you’ve got a good eye kid! That is DotA Allstars v5.84c! Different times… Here, you’ll like this: QTest. I was there, first night. You see a lot of folks wearing fakes nowadays, claiming they were there and warbling on about how this or that ruined the scene, but check the thread: it should be copper wire. Fakes miss that. Posers, they’re the real problem.

Say, what’s that you’ve got hidden away under your scarf? A Battlefield 4 Fall Update patch? Aw, don’t sweat it. Everybody’s gotta start somewhere, kid.

DICE released the latest hefty BF4 patch yesterday, thankfully without accompanying jacket patches. They explain the big features in a blog post, or you can leap right into the huge full patch notes.

To recap: it improves hit detection, brings movement back to a more BF3-y feel, streamlines the UI and add more customisation options, fixes bugs and crashes, rebalances a little, and adds a ‘Classic Mode’. Said by DICE to be closer to BF2 and BF3, this ruleset removes things like health regeneration, 3D spotting, third-person vehicle views, and killcams. It’s somewhere between the Normal and Hardcore modes, then. Here, watch this video for more on that.

This all sounds swell, but it’s taken eleven months for B4 to reach this point. You should probably bear that in mind when thinking about buying the police militarisation nightmare Battlefield Hardline when it launches early next year. Developers Visceral do say “the game will work” at launch, but you might want to wait for someone else to check first.

1. X_kot says:

This is a proper patch announcement – thanks, Alice!

2. Stompywitch says:

The game will work? Wow! Truly high standards right there!

3. Mezmorki says:

I like your patches. But how many people played the Navy Seals Mod for QUAKE1, which was Gooseman’s mod project prior to starting Counter-Strike. I was there man … The best part about Navy Seals was that there wasn’t a GL Quake version of it … so my god was it pixelated. Glorious. But pixelated.

4. Barberetti says:

“Here, you’ll like this: QTest. I was there, first night”

Oh yes. 9 hours to download on my dad’s 14k modem, and worth every minute of the wait.

5. typographie says:

The Hardline beta already “worked.” BF4 “works,” strictly speaking. I’ll be impressed when they start making specific promises. That’s generally unwise for a developer to do, but its only going to look serious to me if they’re putting their proverbial balls to the fire.

• Cross says:

Well yeah, Hardline “worked”, but it was absolute poo and a salty sausage. Battlefield doesn’t really lend itself to crime vs. cops with its historic focus on huge maps and vehicles, so i think BF4 is the game to beat.

6. GenBanks says:

“police militarisation nightmare”
    Haha… They’ll have to make an expansion where instead of hardened criminals the enemies are peaceful protesters.

• Wret says:

That’ll be their Co-Op PvE.

Then patch day comes, you join a server ready to get you inner totalitarian, jack-booted thug on, then you realize: you’re unarmed and in the crowd when the shots start flying. Surprise modern survival horror experience.

7. DrollRemark says:

I wasted a day (and a hefty phone bill) downloading CS beta 5.2, only for them to release beta 6 the very next day.

And yes, I still bear a grudge about it.

8. DanMan says:

Too bad noone who doesn’t already own the game cares anymore about BF3.5 They really just do this to be able to keep selling the DLC. Absolutely noone would buy those, if the game was still broken.

• grenadeh says:

No one who owns the game still cares, either. It’s done.It’s dead to us all.

9. italianprick says:

I like this. There is even a proper hover text on the image.

10. grenadeh says:

Yea no, Beta 6.5 was the best beta. Sorry.

11. HaruharaHaruko says:

I love Battlefield. I’ve come around to beefwhore, as my friends and I call it. I’m saddened to hear the RPS folks don’t like it all that much, or at least the ones who comment on Battlefield posts do so just to shit on it. Whatever.

Is there an RPS platoon lurking out there somewhere?