Have You Played… Dangerous High School Girls In Trouble

A game so old that Kieron wrote about it before running away to join the X-Men, or whatever it is he does these days. Dangerous High School Girls In Trouble isn’t quite a product of the Jazz Age that it so stylishly emulates, but it does date from the distant year of 2007.

Dangerous High School Girls In Trouble is a parlour game that has never graced a parlour. It’s a boardgame that never sat heavy upon a board. Set in a high school with a population of flappers, vamps, sophisticates and boys. With your chosen team of dangerous girls, you’ll navigate the turbulent waters of etiquette, rough-housing and petty politics, as well as the mysterious world of adults and the unpleasant games that they play.

I’ll refer to the game as DHSGIT from here on in, even though that might look like a slur directed at a smug man in an advert for a sofa.

DHSGIT’s strength is in its writing and sense of place, but it doesn’t just create a pretty pastiche of the past. The japes of the first act have shadows thrown across them as the story develops and the ‘Trouble’ of the title becomes very troubling indeed. There’s a rare sense of jollity in many of the exchanges though and while not directly comparable in many ways, DHSGIT is one of the few games that can be comfortably mentioned in the same sentence as Wodehouse.

That would be recommendation enough, but there are also clever systems at play. While the abstract exchanges might become repetitive before the game is done, there’s satisfaction to be found in mastery of the girls’ various wits and wiles. DHSGIT is one of the few original boardgame’s made for PC and it’s a convincing replica of a beautiful object that never existed.

1. Gap Gen says:

Rebel Boy got style.

2. nonadventurer says:

Also available on Steam: link to store.steampowered.com

(The official website page you linked to in the article doesn’t link to Steam either for some reason.)

3. Terragot says:

Hasn’t left my steam library for a few years now. It doesn’t necessarily emulate the board-game experience in a purest manner, which is a great thing because it merges virtual interactivity and board-game pacing into something quite unique. Also, yes the writing is superb and the design of the thing should be heralded as almost procedural in narrative. If it was released today, no doubt someone would slap rogue-like on the thing, because it has systems in place that don’t form a rigid narrative.

4. Walkerz says:

It’s a nice game indeed, quite unusual and definitely a good pick if you are looking for something different and original (especially regarding the topics looked over by the game, toward the end there is some heavy stuff that you won’t see in many game around).

If there is one thing I’m a bit puzzled about, it’s the price. 19€ seems a bit excessive, I grabbed it thanks to sale myself.

5. LegendaryTeeth says:

I really should go back and finish this at some point. This was one of the first indy games RPS tipped me off on. Quite enjoyed it while I was playing it, but I’m sure I got distracted by something else before finishing it off.. Such as it is.

6. cpt_freakout says:

I bought this on a sale like a year ago and never installed it. It’s as good time as any to correct that mistake!

7. Donners says:

I liked the look of it, but the story never compelled me and the minigames became tedious. Uninstalled it after a few hours and have never been tempted to go back.

7 Grand Steps, by the same dev, sounds much more interesting.

8. AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

Everyone make sure to click through to Kieron’s review, then read the comments, then read Kieron’s comment. They should have sent a poet.

9. AngoraFish says:

Fantastic game, terminally marred by an abrubt an completely unnecessary change of tone, from light and fluffy G-rated fun, to an unnecessarily dark, serious and self-important M15+ for the last 5%.

10. benestevan says:

Yap, it was my favorite game :)

Days of Future Past Jacket