Where To Start? Windows 10 Announced For 2015

START

It’s funny how quickly we’ll all forget Windows 9. Even today, I’m wondering if it ever really happened. Did we really find lines from our e-mails scrawled across our walls in blood? It seems unlikely that the error alert sound was ever six minutes of inhuman chanting. I only know two people who say they clicked The Forbidden Shortcut and found wasp hives on their doorsteps. We’ll forget. It’ll all seem like a silly story someone once made up. Kieron’s probably fine, just fine, happier as a pillar of salt.

Last night, Microsoft announced Windows 10 for release in 2015. It won’t do any of those things.

Windows 10 is made to run across phones, tablets, and PCs, Microsoft explain in a blog post, but it certainly looks like a desktop OS again. The Start Menu’s back, for one thing. Huzzah! You’ll also be able to bosh these big old Live Tiles into the Start Menu if you really want to create the sort of sprawling monster shown.

Rather than recap everything myself (Windows Store apps working like regular programs, better window snapping etc.) I’ll say go read the post or The Verge‘s blow-by-blow live blog of the announcement event. Or watch the video below with a nice man. But oh! Joy of joys! It’ll also add virtual desktops like Linux has had for yonks, multiple desktop views we can switch between to reduce clutter. I’ve always missed that on Windows but had mixed experiences with third-party programs that add them.

Microsoft don’t have much to say about games, but that’s fine. The Windows we have works dandily.

No word yet on how much it’ll cost. I don’t imagine I’ll upgrade from Windows 7, going by what we’ve seen so far, but I wouldn’t object if a new PC came with it installed.

Microsoft plan to launch a Technical Preview version this week for those who don’t mind potential wonkiness. The rest of us can watch this charming man:

Oh, but what about Windows 9? “It wouldn’t be right to call it Windows 9,” said Terry Myerson, executive vice president of Microsoft’s Operating Systems group. Not after What Happened. How quickly we forget.

1. WhatKateDoes says:

I honestly thought this was a wind-up when I saw it. Windows 10 (THERE IS NO 9) – The dude’s hair. The delivery.

I like these new features he talks about tho. a… “START” menu, where you can select and run programs. And.. a little cross that you can used to close apps with, instead of the o’so natural drag from top-down function of windows 8 that’s so easy to use, especially without one of those pesky touchscreens…

• iainl says:

The X for closing “Not Metro, definitely don’t call it Metro” apps turned up in the Spring update; if you’ve not got it already check your Windows Update settings. Along with a shutdown power icon in the top-right of the Start Screen, thank God.

• Cinek says:

Can’t believe that they actually had to patch things like that into the system. Ridiculous.

• WhatKateDoes says:

Must admit I dont venture into Metro-thingmabob at all. I installed “classic shell” into 8.1 and have actually been very happy with 8 on the whole.

• smokiespliff says:

classic shell is great! I install it on lots of peeps laptops at work, telling them it will make windows 8 “go away”

• Guvornator says:

“Hi, I’m Joe Belfiore with the Windows Team and someone’s else’s hair, and I’m happy to announce Windows We Can’t Do Maths…”

EDIT: He looks almost exactly like a character from Mike Judge’s Silicon Valley. link to youtube.com

• smokiespliff says:

or andrew maxwell
        youtube.com/watch?v=qNEcCh7fH3U

• slerbal says:

Maybe it is a headcrab in disguise? It really does look like someone else’s hair just wandered onto set and made a nest on his head.

• Juke says:

Yes, thank you. I just recently watched Silicon Valley and it’s all I can think about when I see this video. As if that were not enough; the actor has since passed away, so it appears that the ghost of a fictional character is telling me about an OS that number sequencing dictates should not exist. Frankly, it’s all a bit unsettling.

• albertino says:

Boy did this comment make me laugh :D

Doesn’t it just smack of Microsoft not having a freakin’ clue when it comes to decent marketing?

Also I’m embarrassed for them that they are selling ‘Window’s with maximise/minimise icons’ as a new handy feature. They really screwed themselves over with Win 8. With the features they’ve listed there they may as well have called this Windows 7.2.

I get the feeling that they’re calling it Windows 10 to keep up with Apple – to have the same number so ‘the consumer’ doesn’t see them as lagging behind. They pulled the same trick with xbox hence ‘xbox 360’ and not ‘xbox 2’. Obviously changed their minds again with the xbone…

• TechnicalBen says:

There is no describable difference between the MS video and this one:
      link to youtu.be

(If a mod can edit that for embedding, I’d be in debt to them massively)

2. Shadowcat says:

I had to laugh when the Start button vomited that mess all over the screen.

Clearly they’re not attempting to win over the Apple users.

• PoulWrist says:

But, OSX is all about vomiting things all over the screen, is it not? Billions of icons listed in a line that jumps and sprawls nonsensically, windows that skate all over if you accidentally move your mouse to the corner of the screen. All that jazz. But the nicely tiled start menu? That would be far too stringent for any OSX user, I imagine.

• Shadowcat says:

Oh, maybe. I assumed Apple’s much-heralded design principles would preclude that kind of thing. I guess I’ve been misled!

• baozi says:

Well, other than the finder and trash shortcuts, you can remove all the icons from the dock so that only open programs show up, which is what I do. I can’t stand it when people’s docks are full with icons, but I guess they think it’s easier than accessing programs using launchpad (or the finder, or a launcher like quicksilver or launchbar or alfred).

If by jumping and sprawling nonsensically you mean that dock icons get magnified if you hover over them, I don’t think that’s been enabled by default since a few versions of OSX – I can’t remember having to turn it off.

Hot corners can be turned off – but how often do you accidentally move your cursor into the very corner of your desktop?

All in all I’d still say that OSX gets in my way much less than Windows, which I’m running for the wider availability of games but wouldn’t otherwise.

• wengart says:

The greatest Mac crime is the inability to snap windows. You literally have a pile of screens with absolutely no organization among them. It is horrendous.

• baozi says:

I use a program for that, but I agree that it’d be nice if there was a built-in option.

• jpm224 says:

Can I ask what program you are referring to? I am an OSX user and this is one of my biggest peeves about the system.

• baozi says:

@ jpm224

Sure! I use Moom, a windows management program. It doesn’t directly snap windows together, if that’s what you’re looking for, but it snaps windows to the edges and corners of your desktop by dragging, and if you want more granular control, you can move and resize a window on a user-defined grid using your mouse or keyboard shortcuts. It’s highly configurable. It also looks very nice and has a cute name :D

Sadly it isn’t free and perhaps a bit on the expensive side, but I think it’s alright since I use it so much. There’s a trial on their website.

(If that sounds too positive, I have no affiliation with them.)

There are also Cinch and SizeUp by another developer, but it seems like they needlessly separate snapping and keyboard control into these two different programs. Not sure. Free trials, too. I think I tried one of those two or their predecessor at one point.

Supposedly the free BetterTouchTool does window snapping as well, but I haven’t tried that. Or maybe I have, I’m not sure. I think I tried some free options but found Moom to be the nicest program for what I wanted.

Divvy is also a windows management tool but I don’t think it does snapping. Trial available, too.

TL;DR: Try Moom, Cinch/SizeUp, and BetterTouchTool. Trials for the first three, last one is free. Not much too lose, hence. Moom and Cinch also have App Store versions. There may be other programs. Another cheap option is BetterSnapTool on the App Store, but it doesn’t look very nice.

• Geebs says:

Thanks for the recommendation for Moom, I’d been looking for a Snap-type thing for OSX and that one looks like just the ticket!

• baozi says:

Glad I could help :)

Phasma Felis says:

I use Divvy on Mac and Windows, and I’m pretty happy with it. It doesn’t do traditional snapping, but does let you quickly resize any window to a grid, and set hotkeys for favorite layouts.

• Crafter says:

What the hell is going on in this start menu ? It does not look like there is a common design guideline, I can see 3 different design styles there : old style windows 7 icons, metro ones and full blown pictures.
      It feels more like some frankenmonster mishmash made with a UI mod than the preview of a coherent system.

• manny says:

It’s the windows phone UI going to the desktop which is stupid cause the windows phone UI is atrocious. Really dumb.

• frymaster says:

The reason people are being given the option of metro-esque tiles is that they can have live information, like android widgets. Personally I’m getting on fine with the 8.1 start screen; like the old one, pressing start and typing to search is my use-case 95% of the time. For the other 5%, I’ve got nice pleasingly-easy-to-target tiles for my common programs, or a fullscreen menu navigation for when I have to browse

I don’t have any tiles with live information though, as that would need me to have metro apps installed.

• Crafter says:

I don’t mind having live tiles or whatever other feature (at least in principle), on the contrary I think that the start menu is ripe for an UX revamp. It was really only a critique of the mishmash of different visual styles in that menu.
          I can’t see any common rule of perspective, abstraction or dimensionality, each icon tend to vary from one style to another randomly.

• mattevansc3 says:

Its a technical preview to show off functionality and not the finished product. Prettying up the GUI is one of the last things that get done.

3. drewski says:

oh thank FSM a proper Start menu is back, even if it does vomit rainbow blocks

• Ross Angus says:

I’ve followed the advice, and I’m now trapped inside a block in defrag. I can here the read head coming. It sounds … it sounds like rain.

4. msing says:

Is it just me that thinks Microsoft is just a little clueless?

• Shadowcat says:

Well their Xbox numbering sequence went from 1, straight to 360, and then back to 1 again, so sequences are clearly not their strong suit.

• kael13 says:

You never know, the next one might be 360 again…

• thekelvingreen says:

I’m still not sure what “X-Box” is supposed to mean. I doubt they do either.

I saw one of the original X-Box controllers the other day, the ones that were too big for human hands. Clueless indeed.

• Manfromtheweb says:

What are you saying? The Duke was and still is one the best controllers ever made. No other pad comes close.

• thekelvingreen says:

I’m sure it had its uses. If the electronics were taken out the casing could house at least forty people.

• Universal Quitter says:

Man, if it had just occurred to Sony to make a fat Dual Shock derivative, with two extra buttons, gaming history would be completely different..

• MrEclectic says:

If you do a 360 you are back where you started, so…

… I’ll show myself out

• Scurra says:

What, you mean as opposed to every other corporation (hell, company) ever?
      Goldman’s law applies as always – “Nobody knows Anything”.

• msing says:

Haha, it’s just to me they have very little idea about a consistent brand image and direction, let alone a vision.
        Seems like every time they are releasing something they go:

“Guys! Guys, we’re doing this thing now” .. “Oohh you don’t like it?.. how about this one? Guys?! “

• manny says:

They’ve just had a monopoly, that’s why every other idea they’ve ever had has been poor, they aren’t a great company just a monopoly.

• albertino says:

You’d think that with all that monopoly money they’d go and hire some folks with sensible ideas…and a decent marketing team.

• Low Life says:

I feel like this is them coming at least a bit back from being absolutely clueless. At least they no longer seem to have the idea that tablets with a 10″ touchscreen and desktop computers with a 30″ monitor controlled with a kb&m should share the exact same user experience.

• msing says:

I agree, but it’s only because everyone started telling them 8 was ridiculous (at the launch, anyway) for those reasons.

5. iainl says:

I can only imagine the discussions in the Microsoft office about whether to go with 10 or X once they decided to move on from 9 (what was with that puzzle box game they replaced Minesweeper with, by the way? I never heard from anyone who solved it.)

Personally, I’m not finding anything wrong with 8.1 post Spring Update, really – they’ve fixed all the dumb things in 8.0 that I hated so much, and now it’s basically Windows, but with a shockingly fast boot time and less of 7’s ability to crap everywhere until it wants a reinstall every six months. Still, DirectX 12 and associated easy XBone ports will be nice.

• LionsPhil says:

People claim this of the previous Windows release every time, but it hasn’t been true since XP. (I have the eleven-year-old XP install that’s been through a ton of games and three service packs to prove it.)

Now, the 9X series, go nuts ripping it to shreds for its suicidal tendencies.

• iainl says:

No, even in 7 I can bring up the event viewer history and see how my boot time has quintupled in the life of this laptop’s OS, because unlike my home machine it wasn’t reinstalled on a regular basis.

• Malibu Stacey says:

Yep all those 3rd party apps you’ve installed since the OS was installed which are slowing down your boot time are clearly Microsoft’s fault.

• Kempston Wiggler says:

Hate to disagree…but I’m gonna have to.

I’ve used several Win 7 machines now that, for inexplicable reasons, suddenly increase their boot times by multiples. It’s even done it on my work machine, on which I’m not allowed to install new software. Win 7 has a problem with start-up. I haven’t seen the same from Win 8 and I had it on release, and used it practically daily for all sorts of things including adding reams of 3rd party software.

• Frank says:

The only slowdowns I ever experienced were caused by power surges, and now that I have a battery backup, I no longer need to blame MS. It’s not hard to manage startup apps, and the “it slows down by multiples” thing is probably not a software issue at all….or if it is, blame McAfee instead.

• Kittim says:

and less of 7′s ability to crap everywhere until it wants a reinstall every six months.

Running Win 7 here for the last four years with zero re-installs, despite installing/de-installing no end of crud on it. Only crashes I’ve had have been from known crashy games. Restored from backup once due to HDD failure and that’s about it.

So ya boo sucks to you Mr six months ;)

• TechnicalBen says:

Same here. Boot times may have changed, but that’s software being software (and promisingly being asked to do more/have more jumbled HDD data) IMO.

6. spectone says:

I’m sad I have to wait until the middle of next year for this. I also note that they have added proper cut & paste support to the console window, which is a major usability improvement.

• iainl says:

Amazing, isn’t it! The technology has only taken 20 years.

• Cinek says:

Copy paste was always there, just not with ctrl+c / ctrl+v.

• iainl says:

Oh, I know it’s a hangover from Ctrl-C being busy doing a SIGINT on command-line interfaces. But it’s an annoying hangover.

phuzz says:

Well exactly, twenty years of having an integral part of Windows using a completely different mechanism to copy/paste, why would you do that?
          Mind you, I recently found QuickEdit mode (in the properties for cmd or PowerShell), so it’s the same, highlight to copy, right click to paste as in Putty. so at least two apps use the same method, instead of the ctrl-c/ctrl-v that every other application on windows uses.

• Cinek says:

Microsoft is not Apple. They never were good in consistency. Just look at the ribbon menus in Office, lack of start menu in Win 8, Win 7+ Control panel that by default got completely different layout than anything in the entire system.

But heck, it’s not just Microsoft doing stupid thing. Look at the Firefox and Google – moving tabs above whole interface… completely opposite to every flippin other application in the universe. Add to this that new idiotic menu that opens when you click 3 horizontal bars and works completely different to every other application making it pointlessly counter-intuitive.

• GameCat says:

What’s wrong with tabs at the top of the screen? The last thing I want in my browser is useless strip just for app name and 3 buttons that eat up my precious vertical space on screen. :/

• Steve Catens says:

@Cinek

I suppose it depends on how one reckons “consistency”, but I have rather the opposite view. If one thinks in terms of legacy support rather than more superficial issues, then this is actually one of the things MS has always been remarkably good about. I’m always surprised at how good of a chance old Windows software has of running on Win 7. I still have games and other software from 15 years ago I can install and run without a hitch, or with minimal tweaking. That’s not something Apple can generally say the same about.

Not hoping to spark some tedious “vs” argument here. Just of all the perfectly good reasons to criticize MS or Windows, to my way of thinking consistency is actually not one of them, notwithstanding the radical win8 redesign. Barring superficial issues, Windows has typically been consistent to a fault, which is why it hauled around so much clunky legacy stuff under the hood for so long, while Apple was traditionally more willing to throw users under the bus in order to achieve the “ooh shiny” factor.

• baozi says:

@Steve Catens
            Um, you’re talking about completely different issues here.

• Steve Catens says:

@baozi

Which is why in my very first line, I said I was redefining the overly general statement made in the comment I was responding to. But for that, I will say from win98 to win7, I’ve never had a problem opening up a windows OS and knowing where to go, or what I was doing. MS has seemed consistent to a fault to me, at least in terms of OS interface prior to win8.

• baozi says:

I read that … but Cinek obviously meant user interface consistency. No point bringing in backwards compatibility IMHO.

• Steve Catens says:

Baozi: […]interface consistency.

…which I just specifically addressed in my previous response. Do you have anything to contribute here other than pedantry?

• baozi says:

That’s not pedantry, that’s pointing out a straw man. Whatever, dude, I’m outta here.

• Low Life says:

Now if only it shipped with an SSH client!

7. Chalky says:

After finally coming round to the realisation that windows versions alternate between good and terrible, they decided to start skipping versions in order to avoid this problem. They are now attempting to achieve a more consistent level of quality by skipping the good versions entirely.

• Creeping Death says:

But wait… if you are implying they are skipping the good with 9 that would make 8 bad and Vista of all things good? oO

• Douglaum says:

No, no, no. It goes like this: Win98 (Good) -> Win Me (Bad) -> Win XP (Good) -> Win Vista (Bad) -> Win 7 (Good) -> Win 8 (Bad)

• Steve Catens says:

Missed Win2k (great).

• LionsPhil says:

2K wasn’t part of the home-user-facing lineup.

If you include the NT half of the family tree (or look before Windows 98) it all falls apart.

8. eggy toast says:

So the rule about only odd numbered Windows versions…7 more years of famine?

• Cinek says:

I’m afraid so…. but we’ll see. It’s definitely too early to judge.

• SominiTheCommenter says:

I for one will be stockpiling on potatoes, just in case.

• Tom Walker says:

I want to know what the *real* version number will be. Does the jumping of brand version suggest this is now NT 7.0 ? Or only NT 6.4 ? I suspect the latter, I.E. another slightly more optimised version of the thing that started as Vista, with yet another different GUI.

• jwrayth says:

The Major Version of windows has been stuck at 6 for backwards compatibility purposes. Lots of poorly written applications failed testing when the major version was upped, so as part of the push for Windows 7 to appear much better than Vista, they kept the major version at 6 to avoid getting blamed for app compatibility problems.

• Steve Catens says:

I’ve only ever followed a simple “every other release” leapfrogging policy on Windows upgrades, with the exception of going from win98-> win2k, rather than WinME. Nothing to do with great insight, so much as being a cheap, lazy bastard. Seems to have worked out well. It’s why I decided to skip Vista, and skipped Win8 even before I was aware of the eventual issues associated with those releases. And it’s why I’ll probably upgrade to Win 9 or 10 or whatever without too much trepidation.

• manny says:

I just stay one operating system version behind the latest. So currently on Windows 7, now that windows 10 has been released, will be upgrading to windows 8.1.

That way I don’t get any major bugs in my operating system, support is still there and compatibility is good.

• Steve Catens says:

I should have squeezed the word “eventually” into my comment somewhere. Obviously, early adoption of any new OS has risk. I still don’t see any compelling reason why someone would choose to upgrade from win 7 to 8.1 in a landscape that contains a reasonably vetted Windows 10. Even if it’s not substantially any better than Win 8, it would benefit from better support and polish.

9. Asurmen says:

Colour me intrigued. It may have to depend on DX12 adoption but I am tempted to upgrade from Win 7, especially as support ends next year.

• iniudan says:

It’s only mainstream support ending, extended support is good until 2020. Mainstream support been new feature, hardware support, along bug and security fixes. While extended support is bug and security fixes only.

• Asurmen says:

Extended support is for business and enterprise users only. Ordinary consumers get nothing as of next year.

10. honuk says:

the sad part is someone probably got paid hundreds of thousands of dollars* to determine that they should inexplicably skip 9 and call this one 10

*for you brit gits, I believe this is something like 3 quid. 8 pence, maybe? am I doing this right?

• Guvornator says:

Well, Apple went from Final Cut Pro 7 to Final Cut Pro X. Didn’t seem to do them any harm. Accurately numbering sequals is SO last millennium, man, get with the program…

• baozi says:

If I’m not mistaken, Final Cut X was a complete rebuild that had little in common with the predecessor other than its purpose and its name. There was quite a bit of backlash.

• eggy toast says:

it was also only compatible with the new X operating system, which was something else people who didn’t feel like buying brand new Apples bitched about

• baozi says:

New X operating system? You mean 10.6, which dropped support for PowerPC? To be fair, 10.6 came out 2009, three years after the move to Intel.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

Since we reaffirmed our iron grip on Scotchland recently, thus ensuring the Queen’s uninterrupted supply of Arbroath smokies, I’m afraid your currency is now worth even less in comparison. It’s about two shillings and half a bob now to one of your colonial dollars. Want to rethink the whole tea thing?

• Urthman says:

You’ve got to admire the brazen non-explanation of “It wouldn’t be right to call it Windows 9.”

11. GallonOfAlan says:

Great. Sanity. Touch for those situations as warrants it, regular desktop for those situations as doesn’t. And all the speed benefits of Windows 8.

• Guvornator says:

Wait, so this is ANOTHER not actually new windows? Is is still running on ever more optimised versions of Vista tech?

• jalf says:

Operating Systems basically *never* get rewritten. Why would they?

Yes, this is effectively a modified Vista. Just like Vista was a modified XP. And XP was a modified Win2k, and so on all the way back to the first Windows NT.

Some modifications are bigger than others, but Microsoft has only “started over” once, and even then, the two operating systems ran in parallel for over a decade. Apple started over once as well (as far as I know, OSX is completely different from Mac OS 9). But unless the foundation you’re building on is fundamentally broken, you don’t throw it out and write a new OS from scratch. And none of today’s popular OS’es are fundamentally broken. Don’t expect to see a complete rewrite again. Ever.

The thing is, it doesn’t really make sense to talk about “Vista tech”. Code is fluid. There’s nothing about Vista that’s magically unable to change. It’s just code. Code can be modified. It’s possible that, say, 20 years from now, every single line of code from Vista will have been rewritten, but the OS will still be based on “Vista tech”. It just means that the changes happen gradually, rather than by throwing everything out, and writing a new OS from scratch.

• Guvornator says:

This is all true. However with recent releases it’s seemed more and more like Microsoft are trying to get you to pay to forget design issues and mistakes they’ve made in the previous version. Maybe I was just a young, naive simpleton back then, rather than the old, cynical simpleton I’ve become, but new Windows releases always felt like the start of a new era. Whereas I’ve managed to skip the Windows 8 era entirely, with no ill effects.

• jalf says:

new Windows releases always felt like the start of a new era

Which ones did that? XP/2k, perhaps, but as I said, that *was* the one exceptional case where they actually switched to a completely different OS.

Did you feel like Vista was “the start of a new era”? Maybe so, it certainly did pack a lot of changes, but I assure you, it was not a brand new OS. It was XP with a whole lots of changes and modifications. Just like Win8 packed a bunch of changes on top of that, as does Win10.

Neither of them are bottom-up rewrites. But that doesn’t mean they can’t make major changes to the OS.

• LionsPhil says:

*cough* 3.1 to 95.

The difference with MS is they also bother to put in the terrifying amount of work to try their damndest not to break everything that runs on it when they do it.

The Linux world really, really doesn’t. Applications keep working because people throw manpower at patching them for this month’s new hotness, or they just rewrite replacements. Anything that falls behind is left behind.

And Apple just gleefully drop support because they know their fanbase will sneer at anything more than a year old anyway.

(Anyway, your point does stand though. Why the hell would you start from scratch, and have to redo all the same tricks and touches you’ve accumulated over the years? That way lies Linux, and the permanent “almost ready oops we replaced it” state. For all the flak, Microsoft’s core OS team can actually engineer stuff well enough to replace stuff piecewise, and Windows has been grandfather’s hammered along amazingly well, and will probably continue to for a long time unless the rest of the business keeps fucking up like this. The NT kernel is still a more modern design than Linux [which was obsolete when it started], and even if full-on microkernels come back into fashion they have a pretty clear road there from here without having to burn and salt the Earth.)

• LionsPhil says:

*cough* 3.1 to 95.

• LionsPhil says:

There’s another half of that post that says “your point basically stands, though”, but the fucking comment system won’t let it through.

In other news, WORK FROM HOME WITH GOOGLE!

12. fish99 says:

I just don’t want anything that looks like a touchscreen interface on my desktop OS (or on my consoles for that matter). If I can turn it off, maybe, otherwise 7 is still working out great here.

Also don’t you have to be 16 for that hairstyle?

• aleander says:

No. You have to be Zorg.

Also, every 2nd version of Windows is sane, and they just skipped the sane version. I’m sad.

• Zekiel says:

Jean-Baptiste Emanuel Zorg… one of the finest names in fiction.

13. wondermoth says:

Great. So now I have to check whether it’s 1st April AND 2nd April.

14. schlusenbach says:

Hm, this video first sells us the start menu and the search, two basic features from the past. Then ‘apps’ have now titlebars and can be resized and moved around (!). Then they added a button on the taskbar that works like Alt-Tab and added some features to arrange up to 4 applications on the screen (which would have been nice in Win 3.11). And the grand finale: virtual desktops.

It’s 2014. Isn’t there anything left to invent about the desktop as we know it?

• Melody says:

There probably is or would be. Rainmeter is a great thing, for one. If you look at customized desktop on DevianArt you’d find some beautiful and very effective ones.

The thing is, most people dislike change, if you introduce something that is too different people will dislike it because it’s different, even if it turns out to be better. Most people don’t want to learn a new OS either, adapting to a slightly different one is already a lot of work/effort, and I suspect those who are ok with doing it have probably moved on to Linux or Mac, unless they need Windows for some specific software.
      Also, they have to make sure people can’t break things, so, unlike stuff like rainmeter, they have to limit the ability to customize the interface so that it works out of the box for the average user and said average user can’t easily mess up the interface and then not find something.

• Crafter says:

Yes, there are more things to do on the desktop. The thing is : Microsoft created a frankenOS with Windows 8.
      Part of it came from good intents and ideas, I would argue that the Windows 7 start menu has many UX issues and trying to do something different was interesting.
      I suspect that a big part of this decision came from the business guys. They wanted to leverage Windows desktop marketshare in order to invade other markets. We all know how it turned out.

Microsoft saw that Windows 8 did not get the response they hoped for and decided to scratch it and come back to the precedent version.
      We might have to wait for Windows 10+1 (10.1 ? XI ? 11 ? 20 ? I don’t know how they are going to number it) in order to see new ideas in that OS.

Arnvidr says:

The Windows 7 start menu was horrible. I had to install ClassicShell on my Win 7 machine.

Have avoided it on my Windows 8 machine, but that machine has just a certain set of operations it’s used for, so I basically pinned Steam and a few others to my taskbar and only see the horrible start screen when I want to shut down the computer.

Slight optimism for 10 happening.

• jwrayth says:

Windows 8 Pro-tip; Right-click on the start icon and you get access to 90% of what you’d want from the start menu, including a shutdown menu.

• Asurmen says:

How is it horrible?

• SheffieldSteel says:

Yeah, my Win 7 start button menu is empty. It’s really just a way of getting to the control panel. (For shutdown, Alt-F4)

• plugmonkey says:

Isn’t there anything left to invent about the desktop as we know it?

No, which is why it’s time for a new paradigm. ‘Desktop’ is designed around running multiple programs on a single display, by overlapping them like papers on a desk. 25 years ago, that was the nuts, because I only had one screen.

That’s not how I work any more though. I now have half a dozen screens at my disposal. I want a new paradigm, one designed around running different parts of a single program on multiple displays.

Unfortunately, if anyone ever dares suggest the virtual top of a desk is not the optimum way to run things any more, everyone starts hurling their faeces, so it’s unlikely it’ll ever happen.

• MartinWisse says:

You may have half a dozen screen, but far too many people including y.t. have to make do with one, or two screens at most.

15. blind_boy_grunt says:

i installed windows 8 for someone and at the beginning i was like: “are you mad? why can’t you be just normal?” After half an hour i kind of could see where they were going with it(or at least what i think they were going with it). And to be honest i kind of like it, if you look at what you are doing 90% of the time it is 90% the same stuff(the numbers come from the three headed monkey behind you), so they tried streamlining the things you do 90% of the time. How often do you really go into Systemsettings etc? Not that often. Still it only takes you a click more to get there. The problem is that when you install a new os… you have a new os, there is nothing that you need shortcuts for.

• tungstenHead says:

I’m not gonna lie. I thought the three headed monkey was a great replacement for Calculator in Win9. At least, that’s what it’s forcing me to say.

Although I’ve enjoyed Win8 on my tablet, I never put it on a desktop. I can see how it’s still basically functional for desktops, but also how its schizophrenia is a bit frustrating. I’ll be happy to see the Live tile stuff move over to Win10 in a slightly toned down version, though. I like them. Also, I’m curious to see exactly how Win10 will work on tablets; how it’ll differ from the desktop version.

16. DanMan says:

From all the OS GUIs I’ve used over the years, I must say I currently like Gnome Shell the best. Once I had accustomed myself, it went out of my way and just lets me do my work. Exactly how an OS should behave.

If it wasn’t for games….

17. Buuurr says:

I can’t watch the video… he is too metro to listen to or hear. Sorry but I abhor ‘dudes’ that look like 50 year olds from the right side and 20 something Asians from the left… I just don’t get it. I am sure this Windows will be great, as I am not a fanboy and my Windows 7 and 8.1 have worked flawlessly.

• Oozo says:

The only thing more uncanny than this video is the thought that ” dudes that look like 50 year olds from the right side and 20 something Asians from the left” are numerous enough to be referred to as “dudes” [plural].

Can’t he be a special snowflake and I somebody who can sleep again at night?

18. Ibed says:

“At some point Windows has empowered all of us.”

19. bwion says:

I’m just going to call it Windows 9 in the hopes that someone, somewhere, will get unreasonably angry about this.

Bluerps says:

I was kind of disappointed when the article moved on from describing the cosmic horror of Windows 9 to describing the boring mundanity of Windows 10. I want to know what happened to the people who clicked The Forbidden Shortcut and wether they are in the room right now.

• ffordesoon says:

They are in the room.

They are in every room, forever.

Fingers tapping on the Windows.

You are but data. Defragmentation begins.

Welcome. Welcome. Welc o m e h o m e.

Oakreef says:

Don’t really care about the start menu. I never use it any more anyway. I open programmes by just hitting the system key and typing in the name.

• SominiTheCommenter says:

You see, Microsoft? Your decisions are rotting people’s brains!

Oakreef says:

It’s faster and better than waggling around with a mouse.

• bonuswavepilot says:

I find I end up installing so much short term nonsense (mostly trying out things, or installing tools which I really only need to use once every 6 months) that I need to be able to browse through the start menu because I can’t for the life of me remember what everything was called. Start menu only requires recognition, searching requires actual recall.

• P.Funk says:

Except when you open the same half dozen programs constantly and have them pinned to your start menu and can access them with 2 clicks because you like a clean desktop. Also, for me the whole open a program by typing its name comes from opening the start menu anyway with the little button on the keyboard.

Seems like it works fine on 2 levels, if I’ve got my fingers on the keyboard its one button plus fast typed name to open the program, if I’m mousing its a fast flick to the bottom left and two more clicks to open another if its one of my regular programs. The convenient thing is how half my start menu pinned programs are locked in and the other half are dynamic so it changes based on whether they’re opened as much.

It seems like a perfectly useful thing to have, even if someone only wants to do the ‘type a program name’ thing exclusively. Looking in the start menu is also easier if I can’t remember any name for a prog rather than hunting through program files.

• The First Door says:

Me too! But, the thing is, the design on 8 is just a bit silly. There are too many times when it insists on bringing up a fullscreen application, even if it doesn’t use it. The search is the perfect example: You hit the Windows key and it brings up the start page… and then the only bit I really care about takes up a tiny slice on the right of the screen. It’s just a little silly and jarring in a few places, so I’m happy they are fixing them!

22. Oozo says:

Kieron :(

• slerbal says:

Death cannot stop him! Besides, he’e been worse things than a pillar of salt and survived.

23. SominiTheCommenter says:

Can it change workspaces by scrolling the wheel over a button in the taskbar, like I’m doing now in Mint?
    Can it automatically assign certain windows to certain workspaces, by writing a couple lines of lisp, like I’m doing now with devilspie?
    Can I edit text sanely without installing 3rd party apps like notepad++? The applications are still scattered all over the “program files” dir, making the terminal is actually worthless, because you can’t just add a new folder to $PATH everytime you install something?
    Do you still need to waste an afternoon installing drivers(!) and windows updates to get an useable system?

Thought so. Call me when those things are solved-.

• FriendlyFire says:

A) We don’t know anything about the new virtual desktops setup, so your questions can only be answered by “I don’t know.”
      B) Comparing an OS’s core functionality with third-party add-ons? Riiiiight.
      C) Don’t you remember about the whole Internet Explorer shit? Microsoft cannot actually bundle a lot of programs, or they’ll get sued for using their monopoly to compete in other markets unfairly. It’s not like Notepad++ is particularly difficult to install…
      D) No you don’t need to waste an afternoon, you haven’t for a very long time either?

• Malibu Stacey says:

Tut tut. Baited by a lunixmonster.
        You should know better by now.
        It was pretty obvious from that last ‘point’ of his.

• SheffieldSteel says:

Blurring the line between OS and third-party apps was something that M$’s deliberately decided to do, with Media Player, Internet Explorer, and so on. The fact that third party products are better is, in my opinion, neither surprising nor A Bad Thing.

• FriendlyFire says:

Small amusing update: I’ve installed the TP on a VM and I can say that the virtual desktops feature works in a similar manner to what you’re saying: you can left-click on any icon in the taskbar that has a window open in another virtual desktop and it’ll switch to that desktop. The fact that window exists is shown as a thin line at the bottom of the icon.

You can create a new window in the current virtual desktop by middle-clicking the icon.

24. darkhog says:

The biggest mistake M$ made with Win8 is that they tried to copy Gnome Shell, Unity and the like. They should try to copy KDE4’s Plasma. Seriously, that stuff is very customizable. When I still used Linux, I had it arranged so it displayed both my home folder and desktop one in folder view plasmoids and on the side I had plasmoids with weather and news. It looked really nice.

25. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

“Windows 10 is made to run across phones, tablets, and PCs.” But will it actually? I remember being confused by reports of games having to do localisation (or whatever it’s called) three times for PCs, phones and tablets running Windows 8 – I think part of Skulls Of The Shogun’s struggles was the work required to make it work on three platforms despite the supposedly joined-up operating system. If similar things happen again with this then that would seem to be Bad For Games*.

Or maybe I’ve just misunderstood all of this, in which case ignore me.

*Yes, I realise not every PC game will be suitable for this sort of cross-platform stuff, or to put in the other way round not every phone/tablet game will be good on PC, but some will, and it wouldn’t be ideal if indies struggle as a result.

• mattevansc3 says:

It’s evolved since then. Back in the beginning Win8, Win8RT and WP8 shared about 70-80% of the code so if you made an app for Win8 it would need to be decided for that 20-30% that wasn’t compatible. Microsoft has supposedly worked out the kinks and you now have Universal Apps. These are WinRT (Metro) apps that are split into two segments. You have your actual app code which is write once work everywhere and then you have your GUI which should be created for each platform. That way you create one app, a GUI for WP, tablet/touch screen and one for K/B and Mouse, put it on the Windows Store and the customer can use that one app in any of their Windows devices.

Now regarding the Windows10 running everywhere. This doesn’t mean that it is one version of Windows that works on all platforms but instead is the Windows10 core powering an OS designed for its individual platforms. Its not that uncommon a principle, as mentioned above Win8, Win8RT and WP8.1 are all Win8 core OS’s and even OSX and iOS share the same Unix underbelly. With Win10 Microsoft is just refining an existing process to increase cross platform usage.

• mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Thanks for the explanation. (As you may have guessed from the wishy-washy way I’d worded it I didn’t fully understand what was going on in programming this stuff.)

26. ersetzen says:

I always thought that Win 8 could really use virtual desktops. It would work so well with the whole metro idea – order Metro in tabs, the main one is for virtual desktop and a small list of favorites, the second one is a list of recently used/pinned stuff, the third is all Programs and the fourth is search.

Bam, now you have a usable overview which actually utilizes the screen and lets you switch between desktop groups quickly. And something like alt-windows could open a small start menu with shortcuts, search and shut down.

I might just like the idea because I am using something similar on Linux but I am actually kinda sad that the Metro menu is gone because done right it could have been really useful. Less cluttered than the desktop, too.

27. slerbal says:

The biggest worry I have is about more forced integration of the terrible Windows Store walled garden. All the rest I can have a think about, but I do still worry that Microsoft are trying to completely lock down – and thus kill – the Windows desktop. I get the impression they are pushing the store harder than ever (despite it being a complete pile of cack – I have it on my laptop, ug). Please tell me I am wrong?

• TormDK says:

You are still free to download and install whatever you want.

If anything the Windows Store is simply a store that users know (either from their Windows Phone, or Windows 8(.1) device) or will get to know over time. Universial apps is already a thing, but it looks like it is getting further enhancements.

This will help Indie devs release games across platforms easier for instance, which is a good thing ™.

• slerbal says:

I hope you are right. Genuinely, I hope you are right as I like Windows and I like it as a platform for my work and gaming – mostly gaming. I hope they don’t try and throttle Steam.

• Bobka says:

I agree that this is BY FAR the most critical issue. The way they locked down Metro in W8 to prevent non-Store apps from being installed was downright terrifying for the future of hobbyist software development. If that policy were to spread to the desktop, MS would basically kill anybody’s ability to make software and share it with others or sell it on their own terms; you’d need to pass through the store, Microsoft would get to shut down any software it doesn’t like, and they would get a significant cut of all software sales on the platform, period.

I can only hope that they’re not continuing with that approach.

28. bill says:

Ok, why? Why do we need a start button? Why do we need a start menu back?

I wish they’d just pick a direction and a visual design and stick with it. The start screen worked great, now we have a weird mix of 2 systems that weren’t designed to work together.

All they really needed to do was integrate the metro aesthetic better into the desktop version. (for example, allow live tiles on the desktop, get rid of the last vestiges of aero that were weirdly hanging around. )

• jalf says:

The pushback against the start screen was *massive*. There were a lot of reasons why people didn’t like it.

Personally, I hated that it was a modal full-screen view that yanked me out of whatever I was doing. I hated that pulling up the start screen meant I couldn’t see the apps I had open, and that I, for example, couldn’t drag shortcuts from there to the desktop or taskbar. Plus that weird horizontal scrolling? What was up with that?

I also don’t quite see how this is more of a “weird mix of two systems that weren’t designed to work together” than Win8 was.

• slerbal says:

Sorry bill, I’m with jalf on this one. I have work to do (and games to play) and frankly I would rather spend my time on stuff that earns me money or helps me have fun rather than being forced to use something that is sub-optimal to my needs.

Time spent learning new OS changes = time not spent on important stuff.

• Wut The Melon says:

I’ll be with Bill, then. The *takes me out of my workflow* argument has never made much sense to me as I’ve never yet wanted to use the start menu/screen while simultaneously using other programs on the desktop. I only have one mouse and one keyboard, and maybe you’re all just brilliant multitaskers but having more screen space for the thing you want (launching a new program/searching) does not seem illogical to me at all.

And, ok, no dragging shortcuts to desktop or taskbar – that’s now a right-click option. Doesn’t seem to be a change worthy of backlash to me either.

I will agree that horizontal scrolling makes no sense, and (as someone mentioned above) if you have a lot of software which you can’t remember the names of the search function to replace the “All programs” in the start menu is not brilliant.

• jalf says:

Well, good for you. It’s kind of a big deal to me. Perhaps I’m doing something as simple as watching a video on Youtube. Perhaps I’ve looked up instructions in the browser to do something, and they mention launching a specific program, and I want to be able to read the name of that program while actually trying to find it (whether via search or navigating the start menu/screen).

Or perhaps I’m simply working, and abrupt full-screen transitions distract me and bring me out of the zone.

Anyway, correct me if I’m wrong, but the start screen isn’t going anywhere, is it? It’s still there when you’re in touch mode AFAIK. To me, that seems like a pretty sensible split. The desktop is all about multitasking and applications sharing the same screen space, and it seems logical that the process of launching applications should follow the same paradigm. It should be part of the desktop, just like everything else. And if I’m playing around in Metro-world which is really oriented about giving one individual task focus at a time, it does make sense to hide your current application when you want to launch a new one.

• FriendlyFire says:

One of my annoyances with it came from how poorly it handled multiple monitors, which is weird when you consider that Windows 8 has much better multi-monitor support when you’re on the desktop.

• mickygor says:

That was fixed with 8.1. As were a lot of the complaints I’ve been seeing in these threads.

• Kempston Wiggler says:

Yeah…It annoys me how much of the hate for Win8 isn’t actually based on anything other than personal prejudice. It’s a quick, robust OS with a few nifty features, not the End of Computing As We Know It.

• bill says:

The pushback against the start screen was massive from lots of people who’d never even tried it – because they’d heard from people who’d tried it for 5 minutes that it was terrible. Everyone had decided it was terrible before it was even released.

The start button is a great example of this. Before it was even widely available we had comedy videos of “my grandad tries windows 8” where he spends 10 minutes trying to do anything because he can’t find the start button. And I laughed. And I thought “microsoft are crazy, how will it work without a start button?!” and then I tried it and it worked absolutely fine without a start button, and the installation tutorial told you how to use it in 3 seconds.

But then 2 years later they had to add back the start button, because everyone was still complaining about the issue and it was costing them sales. And then there were lots of articles about how they’d finally added back the start button… and anyone actually using windows 8 probably went “er.. why? I didn’t need that. That’s wasting my taskbar space”. And all those who “knew” how terrible windows 8 was without the start button cheered.
        The power off button is another example of something totally un-necessary that they’ve added back merely to appease people who probably never even tried it.

The start screen VS menu debate is a little less cut and dried, I’ll grant you. But I don’t get the fuss, personally.
        Yes, the start menu covers less of your screen when you open it that the start screen, but you only have them open for a moment to launch another application, and when you’re focussed on the start menu/screen you aren’t interacting with the application behind it.
        For me, there is zero difference between opening the start menu for 3 seconds to launch an app and opening the start screen for 3 seconds to launch an app. As such, I find the argument about it being full screen and somehow therefore preventing multi-tasking to be rather disingenuous.

Basically, I feel windows 8 had a lot of good ideas, but chickened out of implementing them all the way, so we ended up with a mish-mash of 2 styles at times. Windows 10 seems to be rolling back the new stuff on the metro side, without really doing the things that were needed on the desktop side to make things more unified.
        So instead of 70% metro + 30% legacy we end up with 50% metro + 50% legacy.
        Don’t see that as a major improvement.

• fish99 says:

I’ll agree the duality was a bad thing, but to go full metro is just going to lead to another sales flop. Most people don’t appear to want it, especially the business world. The start menu is a lot more effecient in terms of space used. Personally I don’t want tiles all over my desktop.

29. Morte66 says:

Still not sure if this whole article is a spoof.

• slerbal says:

I know what you mean – I have a hard time believing it is serious as it is all so patently ridiculous.

30. kyrieee says:

Still using WinXP crew checking in.

• drewski says:

I’ve still got a fully functional WinXP box around, although I must admit I’ve not booted in in about 2 years.

If I ever find an old game that won’t play nice with my Win8 laptop, though, it’ll be coming back out of mothballs.

• Eukatheude says:

Using a WinXP pc connected to the net in 2014 is, basically, a REALLY BAD IDEA.
      Besides, 7 is really good. And 8 is like 7 once you install Classic Shell.

• kyrieee says:

I’ve tried installing Win7 half a dozen times and ways but my PC just freezes part way through no matter what, so I’m holding off until I build a new one.

• LionsPhil says:

Sit behind a NAT router (i.e. a normal broadband connection) and your major attack surface is browser vulnerabilities. You’re OK-ish until browser vendors drop support for XP. (If you’re an IE user, you’re several years too late.)

Admittedly having Vista or later would add some extra mitigating technologies to make browser bugs harder to exploit.

• yabonn says:

Kept my Xp for yeeaars. Then switched to Mint – it’s free, there’s no forced updates, and there’s Borderlands 2.

This may help you make your mind :

link to imgur.com

Harlander says:

Don’t switch to Mint if you’ve got an old AMD graphics card.

That’s all I have to say on the matter.

• Malibu Stacey says:

there’s no forced updates

ubiquitous net connectivity & people think this is still a good idea?

I guess botnet operators need to get their zombie armies from somewhere…

DelrueOfDetroit says:

The new Malibu Stacey doll has a way bigger vocabulary then when I was a kid.

• unit 3000-21 says:

Old ways, man! XP 4 life! Still, it’s a pity I cannot play some of the newer games.

31. JamesTheNumberless says:

There comes a time when a man must accept the loss of his juvenile hairline.

32. Tony M says:

Half Life 3. Exclusive to Windows 9.

33. Heliocentric says:

I’m starting to suspect Windows is a Ponzi scheme.

34. Seraphina says:

Jokes aside, is it really that hard for people to understand why they would skip Windows 9? I mean, Windows 95/98/98SE were always referred to as Windows 9X. It makes perfect sense to skip 9 to avoid confusion on things like system requirements and what-not. At least it makes perfect sense to me.

tigerfort says:

Allegedly the real reason is in fact that there are a vast number of apps that use
      if{version.startswith("windows 9")
      to check for DOS-based Windows versions (ie 95/98) and releasing it as Windows 9 would break too many things and upset too many people.
      No idea whether this is true or not, but it makes a lot more sense than “it wouldn’t be right”.

35. Faran says:

What bothers me the most about both Windows 8 and 9… er, I mean 10, is that Microsoft seems to think that we have the most shaky hands in the universe with those huge icons. Such a waste of space.

36. cunningmunki says:

But will it come with “Halo: The Master Chief Collection” pre-installed?

37. AskForBarry says:

How can you not make more fun of that hair cut? It looks like a misplaced wig.

38. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I bet they’re just trying to avoid “Windows? Nein!” jokes.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

They missed a great opportunity to use architectural features as the names of their OS versions. version 1 could have been called Windows, then instead of Windows 2, they could have called it “Doors” or something. By now we’d be up to Buttresses or Transoms

39. Koozer says:

Is…is this real? Is this part of some kind of Apple viral marketing campaign? They’re using resizable windows and a start menu with an ulcer as selling points for goodness sake.

40. iainl says:

Just think, if only they had named Windows 8.1 as 9, then not only would this new name make more sense, but people who wrote that one off as just more of the awful monstrosity that is 8.0 would have noticed that most of the really bad things have been fixed now.

41. SheffieldSteel says:

Whoa. Microsoft’s is almost exactly six month’s late with their April Fool’s joke.

42. drygear says:

Funny you call him “this charming man” because he looks like Johnny Marr.

43. Chorltonwheelie says:

It does everything for everyone everywhere. Nothing else comes close.
    A huge human achievement.
    I work with Unix, Xenix, Linux and f******g Apple OS daily (ok, Apple just to keep our arsehole Execs happy) and you guys need to be very careful what you wish for. Honestly, step back, look what it does for us.

• Gargenville says:

You don’t appreciate basic things like the Windows file explorer until you’ve had to blindly select an image to upload to craigslist under Gnome because in the year of our lord 2014 the file upload dialog doesn’t do thumbnails, or tried to automatically rename a bunch of files under OSX without calling up a terminal.

44. AyeBraine says:

I’m confused. Is it a joke? I watched the whole video and I was absolutely sure that it was a joke. But it’s on the real Windows YouTube channel! How is it possible?

45. Highstorm says:

I have it from an inside source that the real reason it’s Windows 10, is because 7 ate 9…

DelrueOfDetroit says:

It would be amazing if that was their official response.

46. racccoon says:

All these words should become one word – MARKETING.
    that’s it ….windows 9…. windows 10…. the fact windows 9 is not been makes windows 10 become more prominent in internet society chat rooms.
    Its all a clever marketing plot, a good one, nice move at least its better than following the trend of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9,, 20! when exercising ;)
    I will buy it as windows is the best..

DelrueOfDetroit says:

There wasn’t a Windows 99 either, they skipped right on over to 2000. Does somebody at Microsoft have something against nines?

48. cylentstorm says:

Wow. It’s Windows 8 Redux–now with added Start menu! Woo-hoo…I don’t think that Win 7 will be leaving my machine anytime soon.

particlese says:

Number—————–Nine? Number
    Nine? Number Ni—ne? Number Ni
    ne? Number Ni——ne? Number Ni
    ne? Number Ni——ne? Number Ni
    ne? Number Ni——ne? Number Ni
    ne? Number Ni——ne? Number
    Nine? Number——-Nine? Number
    Nine? Number——-Nine?

(stereophonicity may vary with the font)