Car Seat Cyberboogying: A Night At The Roculus

Who is Chris Miller anyway?

What is it about the Oculus Rift that inspires nostalgia for the ’90s? Other than how that’s the last time virtual reality was The Next Big Thing, of course. Earlier today we peeked at Pixel Rift, which larks about in simulated childhood, and now I’m seeing A Night at the Roculus travelling back in time to enjoy one of the era’s most popular pastimes: rocking out in a horseless carriage. (No, it’s inspired by a different Saturday Night Live skit). It’s controlled by moving your head to dance along and score points. And what do points mean? Nostalgic references to ’90s television game shows.

Wearing an Oculus Rift DK2 cyberhelmet (get out of here with your DK1, grandma), players will bust such iconic moves as the Nod, the Peck, and the Shrug in time to the beat and be judged.

And in the game.

While technoutopians gush over virtual reality as the future of vision itself (several over-enthusiastic sorts have already gouged out their own eyes, I hear), as someone whose peepers are too clever to fall for Rift’s trickery, I am more excited by possibilities to help people enjoy being a playful public spectacle. Blindfold someone and have them do a silly dance? That’s a classic, that.

A Night at the Roculus is a free download for Windows and Mac from its site. It’s the work of Holden Link and Nic Vasconcello. Watch:

From this site

1. LionsPhil says:

Blindfold someone and have them do a silly dance? That’s a classic, that.

Finally, I understand the purpose of this device.

2. Synesthesia says:

I broke the window again!

3. TychoCelchuuu says:

I don’t own anything that has “Oculus” in the name, let alone an Oculus Rift, but that YouTube video made me instinctively bob my head. Of all the things to be ’90s nostalgic for, this is one of the best, even though at the time it was just the worst.

4. Blaaaaaaag says:

This little game is fantastic fun for at least one run through, I can confirm, though I’ve no desire to immediately jump in for a second try. I’m sure I will eventually.

Worth the asking price, that’s for sure.

5. GallonOfAlan says:

I remember when VR was the next big thing back in the 90s, and British Gas and the like had TV ads lying about how they were using it. The Virtuality rig in the arcade in Meadowhall in Sheffield. Trouble was of course the dreadful graphics. This time we have a good chance of making it take off in a big way, because the tech is within grasp.

6. CookPassBabtridge says:

Hi Alice :) Please could you have a peek at Cafe Ame? Its only 5 minutes long but so clever. It also features sad robots and possibly, croissants.