Shelter 2…015: Slips To Next Year, But New Game First

Shelter 2, the sequel to the badger cuddling loveliness from last year, has now been officially delayed until the first quarter of 2015. The developers, Might And Delight, report that their family of lynxes are proving trickier to craft than they’d imagined.

The developers explain,

“We are experimenting with a type of game that we have never created before, and have been forced to add a couple of months to the schedule.”

They’re apologetic too, which is nice. “We are of course terribly sorry for the delay,” they say. Aw, guys, it’s no worry! (Hey, big publishers, take note of that one. When you say, “Amazing news! We’ve extended the development time on Guns Of Manbottom VI to allow for even more amazing bottom-following gunshoots!” it’s not nearly as ingratiating.)

However, at the same time as announcing this delay, they’ve also given a very opaque nod to their next game, which will now most likely be out before Shelter 2. What is it? It’s… a top-down garden shed simulator? All we have is this screenshot:

1. Spacewalk says:

Guns Of M4nbottom was the best in the series purely by virtue of it being the cheekiest.

• Ross Angus says:

I heard it caused a terrible rift in the community. Right down the middle.

• cpt_freakout says:

As always with big publishers, filthy lucre reared its ugly head and made a complete mess out of game design principles

• Dingbatwhirr says:

Yes, it was the butt of a lot of jokes for a while. Bit of a bummer. Personally, I didn’t think it was worth buying, but I downloaded a cracked copy just to try it.

2. CamWiseOwl says:

Creative crafts inspiring my curiosity! I spy a Lego NXT brick with motors – attached to a.. space ship? Manta ray?

Harlander says:

For a second there, I thought it’d be Batteries Not Included – The Video Game

• Martel says:

I couldn’t figure out what that reminded me of until seeing your post. Thanks

3. mlaskus says:

Only two of my cubs survived… :(

• Ross Angus says:

Only one of mine did.

• mashkeyboardgetusername says:

I only kept two alive as well.

Thank goodness the game didn’t have achievements, specifically one for keeping all the cubs alive…

• Ross Angus says:

I think they should offer you the number for a support group at the end. “If you have been affected by any of the events depicted in this game…”

• mlaskus says:

I seriously don’t remember anything making me feel so sad in years.

The first cub I lost was swept away by a wave, it was right there and the next moment it was gone. I wanted to look for it but I couldn’t risk it. The shore was so close… :(

4. Oozo says:

For the love of everything that is cute and savage, do this time include an option to switch languages, please (especially when you choose to decide to hand the localization over to Google Translate, or not provide the translators with proper context).

I apologize if I have lamented this state of affairs before on RPS, but it’s a mistake so many devs seem to make. (And in this case, I honestly could never bring myself to play the game after I had stumbled upon a really crass mistranslation in the very first menu I was greeted with.)

So, please, indie devs, if you want an international audience, do two things: don’t use “x” and “y” as default keys if there’s no in-game option to rebind them. And don’t take it for granted that the system language is the one that people want to play their game in.

Thank you, rant over.

And now for something more substantial:
    Lynxes! How adorable!

5. alms says:

That grey thing is clearly a cute robofish with feet ready to go on a grand adventure of (self-?)discovery in the garden.