Have You Played… Ittle Dew?

Take Hack N Slash, remove the hacking, and add in Sokoban, and you’ve got Ittle Dew. A ludicrously charming, often incredibly funny RPG-puzzler, this stars little girl Dew, and a bored fox called Tippsie, seeking ADVENTURE on a peculiar island.

A surprisingly open game, with Metroidvania-ish elements controlling just how far you can wander off in any direction, the emphasis here really is on comedy. And wonderfully, it’s really very funny. This is the first game to point out that eating hearts to regain health is disgusting.

Your patience for block-pushing puzzles will control just how much you grow attached to the game, but then again there are giant stone blocks, Titan de Graphiques, that helplessly fly while being absolutely terrified of heights. They’re so scared and sad! And it’s so refreshingly sarcastic – smart, mean, and gently satirical. More games need wholly uninterested sidekicks. And it’s only £7.

1. LogicalDash says:

I thought it looked neat but then lost interest when I saw the Squigglevision.

I’m really shallow.

2. MashPotato says:

Just adding my voice to this recommendation. The story and characters are fun and silly, the art is charming, the puzzles are a fair challenge (with a good difficulty curve) before they get *really* tough in the optional bits near the end.

If you like the humour in this game, check out Card City Nights as well.

• Crafter says:

I strongly recommend Card City Nights on Android.
      It really grew on me over time.
      The card system is pretty good. Not something complex enough to make endless extensions to the game, but solid enough to be interesting throughout the game.
      In order to trash the optional bosses, you will need to think of way to break the game flow, which is always nice.

The only weakness of this game in my opinion is that it does not handle very well the part of the game where you will search for the cards missing from your collection. Your only choice is to grind random battles until you get all the cards.
      A card encyclopedia with a list of the missing cards letting you know where to search for them (and even better, letting you directly battle in order to gain them) would improve the game tenfold in my opinion.

But hey, here is a game where you can play as a Fedora clad carrot named CardPlaya, how could you say no to that ?

3. lomaxgnome says:

My favorite Zelda-like out there, I really wish more indies would make games like this, it’s a vastly under-served genre.

4. JFS says:

I did, and I liked it! I found the end boss to be too frustrating, though, and thus uninstalled it without ever actually finishing it.

5. scottyjx says:

I was very awful at the puzzles, but that art is sooooooooooooo good and charming and funny. If I drew in a cartoon-y style, I’d so rip off all that I could from this and Card City Nights.

6. Shadowcat says:

I can’t remember why I decided to give this one a miss, but that screenshot is kinda hilarious by itself. I’m imagining that the girl and the giant goth turnip are both in the process of burping the alphabet, and that’s why the fairy-fox looks so appalled.

7. ulix says:

No mention of Zelda, when it’s clearly the biggest influence for this game, not only in terms of gameplay, but also in terms of characters, story and aesthetics?

Some people might even call it a ripoff. I prefer to call it a tribute.

Also, I’ve always wondered why they call the genre of / progression in these types of games “Metroidvania”, when the first Zelda introduced it about half a year before the first Metroid game. Sure, it wasn’t as straightforward as in the first Metroid and later Zelda, but it was there:

link to gamefaqs.com

Item from Area A needed to acess Area(s) B, Item from Area B needed to access Area(s) C, etc.

Catlevania only adopted this gameplay-approach with the release of symphony of the night, whcih came out 10 years after the first Zelda and the first Metroid.

If you only called games with 2D-Platforming elements “Metroidvania” it would at least make a little more sense.

• welverin says:

Metroidvania is typically used for side-scrolling games, though it has started to branch out a bit the last couple of years.

I don’t Castlevania 2 had some of this style of gameplay well before Symphony of the Night, more importantly the gating in Zelda wasn’t anything like it is in Metroid. Add that all together and it makes sense to refer to them as Metroidvanias.

• Shadowcat says:

I wish Cattlevania was a thing.

8. Brtt says: