Machinamazing: Saxxy Awards Winners Declared

Mine.

Whoa. Hey there. Sorry, I’m just coming round following the Saxxy Awards on Wednesday. I don’t even remember Thursday. There I was, seated between Morrissey and Prince, then I have a vague memory of Mozzer whipping out a hip flask that smelt like paint stripper and… nothing. It’s a blank. I don’t even know who won. I awoke in a cemetery this morning.

The Saxxies, of course, are the annual fan-voted awards for short films made in Valve’s Source Filmmaker. They’re short flicks about TF2, Portal 2, and Dota 2, but with the care Valve puts into developing characters and recording odd edge-case lines of dialogue, folks can be jolly creative.

I like that entries run the full range from short silly things people made in a day, roughly the equivalent of stop-motion made with action figures, to carefully-crafted dramatic tales of friendship and sorrow. Some are about the base games, some focus on the characters Valve has created, some try to create their own, and some are about the medium itself.

I particularly enjoyed Comedy nominee Tidehunter’s Tactics, a tale of sailors, sea monsters and hubris, DEFECT_ from the Drama awards, a little story about self-aware AI thrust into battle, and the cartoon Action of Rivalry Rush. What caught your eye, gang?

Valve themselves released a new big TF2 comic yesterday too, you know.

But here, ladies and gentlemen, here is your 2014 Saxxy Awards Overall Winner:

1. Jim Rossignol says:

I wish I was a talented animator.

2. The Dark One says:

I was rooting for About A Scout. At least it won best comedy.

3. Shockeh says:

Oh God Tidehunter Tactics is great, if only because it uses the recorded lines so well.

• Keymonk says:

It makes a lot of brill references to ingame skills and events as well, it’s just really well-done overall.

I don’t actually play the game myself, so no bias either.

4. Chris England says:

DEFECT_ was really good, thanks for the link to that!

5. LionsPhil says:

Man, I don’t get that winner. It’s not a very novel idea, and it’s honestly not that amazingly executed. Compare to, well, the Flash animation of old by the same name. It’s good, but the bar is set so much higher.

Rivalry Rush is pretty great.

This is short and stupid but hypnotically lilting. Mann Co. Cup Classic is pretty good at the rapid-fire jump-cut humour.

“Rewind” is a pretty cute concept. “Heavy’s Game” is a nice twist on the old Pixar short.

“Lights, Camera, Explosions!” deserves a million bonus points for nailing the voices and simply for not being TF2. Hell, all four short nominees are good.

particlese says:

DEFECT_ was definitely my favorite of that bunch. Although…after a bit of random youtube clicking, I landed on Bullseye. It’s from last year, but I really enjoyed it, too, and thought I should share. Similar general classiness, relatively refined animation, piano music, good use of sound effects, …

But yeah, DEFECT_ was excellent. Thanks for the link!