Crunch Brunch: Next Car Game Is Now Wreckfest

Bugbear are the modern masters of vehicular carnage, as exemplified by their efforts in the FlatOut series, which fell flat on its carface when development duties were handed to a new studio. Their latest title, currently in Early Access, has been known simply as Next Car Game, but it has a proper title now – Wreckfest. That’s almost exactly how describe the sort of greasy spoon full English breakfast that cures all current ills while creating future ills of its own design. Along with the name change, Bugbear have released an update that adds online multiplayer among other changes.

Multiplayer currently supports 18 players but Bugbear are pushing for 24. You might need to make adjustments to your port settings to connect or host, say the devs – “If you’re experiencing difficulties when joining or hosting a game, you may need to adjust your network port forwarding: 27015 UDP and TCP for Steam, and our game uses 33540 UDP.”

Along with the multiplayer, there are two new game modes – Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch – as well as oodles of changes to the already impressive engine physics and AI.

The name reveal is certainly not all, for Wreckfest has also evolved to include 18 player multiplayer! The players can now challenge their friends to share the most visceral demolition racing mayhem in existence! With four different game modes, Racing, Demolition Derby, and the new Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch, Wreckfest’s conjunction of purity of driving and the innate beauty of twisted metal creates massive amounts of emergent glee when punishing your friends and foes alike.

We’re pushing the limits to get the number of simultaneous players to 24, but optimizing the network code will take a bit longer. Because the code is not yet optimized, remember that the speed of your ISP has a tremendous impact on how the races will run. Check the Recommended Upstream figure when you host a game, and you’ll be fine.

After the terrible accident at the Japanese Grand Prix this weekend, I’m not quite as eager to watch a million metal-rending motorsport collisions as I usually am. Obviously, Bugbear’s game is about make-believe machines and the crashes come without consequence, but I don’t feel quite as keen as I usually am about dangerous digital driving. Here’s hoping that Jules Bianchi recovers, swift and strong.

From this site

1. iainl says:

I’m glad it’s not just me; Bianchi’s accident is a horrific reminder of what can happen; virtual car smashing isn’t much fun at the moment. Hope he pulls through.

• Artist says:

Oh my god! Somebody got hurt in a car accident! Oh my god! On this planet! Im so glad that this usually doesnt happen….

• fredc says:

You are obviously confused, there was no car accident.

Rather, there was apparently a passing manoeuvre in an F1 race which didn’t occur during a pit stop. This event, unprecedented since the days of Fangio, caused a large number of heads in the Formula 1 paddock to explode. In Mr Bianchi’s case, literally.

• P.Funk says:

Oh stuff it.

• RARARA says:

You are like a 12 year old who just learned about sarcasm and edginess in the same afternoon.

Well done, you.

*ruffles hair*

• Gog Magog says:

Can you ruffle my hair too and tell me my last essay got 16 out of 20 because it’s actually passable?

…so cold…
          …don’t even have hair…

• Artist says:

Im so sad to have disturbed your train of bigotry…! Really…

2. tehsid says:

This game is amazing. And the addition of MP in the game is fantastic. Really worth picking up and playing. The only issue is lag, but if you have a connection with 1mb upload, you should be hosting a match. People will join, and it keeps the game active.

Buy it.

• Windows98 says:

Getting into a multiplayer game is a bit ropey, but once you’re in it’s magic.

Just did a few 10-lap rounds of the new speedway track and it’s a blast. It’s an achievement if you even make it to the end of the race.

3. Henke says:

Did a few multiplayer races last night. It’s good, and very lag free.

4. rockman29 says:

The multiplayer has like no lag at all, very impressive. Even with pings a little above 100, and even above 150, so they’ve done a great job.

But unfortunately there’s a few bugs in this version which render some of the levels unplayable, at least for me. I get crashes immediately on loading the Tarmac level.

Game is really awesome though, I recommend buying as well. If you have any love for Flatout series or Destruction Derby series this game is for you.

5. Gothnak says:

I have watched F1 since the early 80’s and it is indeed sad that Bianchi has been seriously injured. However, if you won’t play a smashy driving game because of it, does that mean you won’t ever play a FPS because somebody somewhere is in a war?

Or are we more desensitized to wars than car crashes?

• Cinek says:

Last year on average 3397 people died each day in car accidents.
      And suddenly someone started to complain about car games focusing on crashes only because some 3rd grade F1 driver crashed. o_O

• RARARA says:

Please don’t be the guy who looks at people mourning a public figure and goes “Thousands of people die everyday, don’t see you mourning them, etc.”

Smith isn’t denouncing the game here – just expressing the momentary uneasiness from relation to a recent accident.

• Faxmachinen says:

Which is completely unrelated (not even the same sport) and managed to derail the topic by the first comment. But whatever.

• Adam Smith says:

I have played it and will continue to play it. Felt a little odd writing about it this morning, especially given the derivation of the new title, since I’d been following the news on Bianchi overnight. As for what we’re desensitized to, I’m not the best person to answer even for myself, let alone anyone else. I’d certainly register discomfort if an FPS touched on believable combat situations, or drew real life parallels to its action, but that’s not to say I’d be opposed to it. Depends how it’s handled.

In this case, a smashy driving game wouldn’t normally make anyone’s attention jump straight to an actual accident, but today it might well do. Felt right to acknowledge that, in a way that isn’t trying to make anyone feel bad for enjoying the game (as I do!) but that nobody should feel odd for not feeling quite so enthusiastic about it today.

Edit: and to Cinek – it’s not a complaint, it’s an emotional reaction. Bianchi’s accident was public, as will the aftermath be, and was directly related to competitive autosport.

• Cinek says:

According to Wikipedia name change took place on 3 October, before the accident, so obviously there is no relation. I understand you might feel uncomfortable about that, but it’s not any worse than people playing Counter Strike after James Foley beheading, Microsoft Flight Simulator after 11 September, or Goat Sim after having mutton for lunch.
        That’s some random stranger that vast majority of people even watching F1 never knew existed before the accident. So let’s not dramatize this whole thing beyond of what it’s worth.

• iainl says:

Oh, it’s nothing more than unfortunate timing.

But is it really so odd to not be in the mood for not finding FPS games set in the contemporary Middle-East hilarious larks? It’s not that you can’t do them, just that it’s understandable if some people aren’t in the mood.

And some of us just have brains that hate us – as much as the rest of the “Classic” DLC content was my favourite thing about the rest of Codies’ F1 2013, driving Imola made me feel pretty queasy the moment I came round Tamburello the first time in a way I just wasn’t ready for, and by the time I reached Villeneuve I was just coasting to a stop.

• WibbsterVan says:

*sigh* damned if you do, damned if you don’t. If there hadn’t been a mention of the F1 incident yesterday, a different set of people would have complained about that I’m sure. On balance, the approach taken seems the best.

• wengart says:

No, its just a comment on a coincidence. Although I also don’t understand the uneasy feeling doing something that is currently resulting in the deaths of real people.

On the other hand I also suspect that I am a largely heartless bastard,

6. bosseye says:

Haven’t had a chance to try this update yet, but I’ve been hugely enjoying the previous NCG iterations.

Maybe I’m just a swivel eyed sociopath but that’s a slightly curious comment about Bianchi though (to my mind). If you’re put off the events in virtual worlds thanks to tenuously related real world happenings, then best not watch the news or you’ll never play anything ever.

7. Mittens89 says:

Forza Jules!

Its time for me to buy this game.

8. Cinek says:

link to nextcargame.com

Their website still says that the finished game is going to be available in early 2014… do they even update that website… like… ever?

9. ribby says:

I thought this was going to be an article about how they’d somehow brought the game to even more levels of car-wreckingness

10. caff says:

Online multiplayer in the current alpha is excellent. The single player physics were great – I didn’t think they could translate them online too, but it plays really well.

Looking forward to a more complete product (more tracks, more cars, more insanity would be good too). But I would recommend Early Access to anyone based on the quality of the current alpha.

11. Timberwolf says:

I’m going to dissent from the appreciative crowd on this one; I found the handling so-so and the AI spends too much time doing utterly pointless things. It would be fun being forced off the track but for the fact every time that happens the computer car appears to give up on its race to see how far it can push you for and, once you’ve both stopped, how much it can get in the way of rejoining the race. There’s potential here (I’d like to try it in multiplayer where your opponents have a race to concentrate on) but currently it feels like the gameplay needs a lot of tuning before it’s a good game.