Run ‘N’ Fun: Metal Slug X On Steam

Careful now! Don't shoot that barrel!

The ‘X’ in Metal Slug X does not stand for 10. No, the X stands for this is the nineties and everything is xtreme to the max. The Metal Slug part of the name, that stands for this is a game about running and jumping and shooting the heck out of everything. First released in 1999 on Neo Geo, the expanded version of Metal Slug 2 arrived on Steam last week with new bits like online multiplayer and global leaderboards.

Metal Slug’s a classic in the run ‘n’ gun world, with big guns, driveable vehicles, a weird semi-magical world where you’ll meet soldiers, tanks, and genies, and lovely smooth pixel art that holds up wonderfully. The eponymous slug is a tank, by the way, and not e.g. a gastropod infused with iron.

This port’s by DotEmu, the folks who brought Metal Slug 3 earlier over this year. Steam user reviews seem happier with this than that port, noting that you can have unlimited continues if you fancy, and that the online co-op seems more reliable. So they say, anyway. It’ll run you £5.59.

DotEmu are also bringing over several games from SNK’s man-punching King of Fighters series. They’re starting with King of Fighters ’98 Ultimate Match Final Edition in November.

Anywho, here’s someone having a crack at Metal Slug X’s first mission:

1. commentingaccount says:

Some people are having random slowdown issues, FWIW. The original game had no slowdown at all(Metal Slug 2 did, but X is slowdown free).

• jrodman says:

Do you mean that Metal Slug (nothing) has no slowdown problems, and that Metal Slug X also does not? (on NeoGeo hardware, and properly functioning emulators/ports, I assume.)

• Oranje says:

I believe commentingaccount meant Metal Slug X on Neo Geo had no slowdown, while Metal Slug 2 did have slowdown. So slowdown in the Steam port of Metal Slug X would be surprising.

• Eukatheude says:

KoF also runs bad on my pc. Which is crap, but KoF is still a 2d game. Not only they overcharge, they also port them badly.

2. jrodman says:

I wish every every game let you become fat.

• XhomeB says:

Games? Pfff… Becoming fat in real life is where the fun’s at!

3. NyuBomber says:

Metal Slug is nice, but…

Yeeeesssssssssss

4. XhomeB says:

Ever since I saw MS for the first time at a local arcade, I can’t help but marvel at the series’ art direction and animations every time I stumble upon any screenshots or videos of MS1-3. So… evocative. You can imagine how impressed I was by this spectacle as a child.
    Looking forward to buying MSX at some point, the only thing I don’t like about it (it’s superior to 2, don’t get me wrong) is the very first stage, I always preferred the daylight setting (BEAUTIFUL), no idea why they changed it to nighttime in X.

5. Terragot says:

Rocket Lawnchair.

6. Spacewalk says:

The best one!

7. Eukatheude says:

Metal Slug is amazing.

That said.

8 fucking bucks for X only? When they’ve been running on Mame32 emulators since my childhood?

• Kobest says:

Exactly! What’s this crap of selling each Metal Slug game separately for 7-8 € each?!?

Give me a Metal Slug Anthology for the PC for a reasonable price, and I will give you my money. Otherwise, welcome MAME32!

• Baines says:

I wonder what the inevitable ports of Raiden 2 and Raiden DX will cost, now that their protection systems are finally understood well enough for them to be marked “playable” in MAME.

Which is part of the sad reality of many of these old arcade and console official commercial ports… Many such ports borrow heavily or are outright only possible because other people spent years making much less official emulators for free and with open-source code.

• Siimon says:

You mean like the Complete Collection package that came out on PC many years ago (2009) at a very reasonable price (I got it for US$12)…

• Shadow says:

I played most Metal Slugs in my outlaw days, yeeears ago using a Neo Geo emulator called Neo Rage X. Zero issues.

8 bucks for a short, almost 20-year-old arcade game? GTFO. I’d rather get Project Zomboid or a hundred other newer, fleshier titles.

• jrodman says:

Call me crazy but it seems like a reasonable deal to me to buy a really fun game for ten dollars.

The real question is whether they’re going to actually stand behind it and fix warts that crop up etc. I’m betting nope.

8. derbefrier says:

Metsl Slug games are still one of the best side scrolling co op shoot ’em ups on the market. The game is just damn near perfect for what it is.

9. Wowbagger says:

Metal slug was one of my great discoveries whilst on a camping holiday in france, it translated really well as a proper arcade game. Many a franc was lost to it.

10. Synesthesia says:

Absolutely fantastic animation, still some of the best i’ve seen in a videogame. Always pick fio! She eats sandwiches. Man, people just don’t make idle animations anymore, huh?

11. Megarlin says:

As a former neo-geo cd owner that used to live near a mall with a neo-geo land in it, this grabs me by the nostalgia.