Rain World’s New Engine Makes Animations Even Cuter

Good morning, friends! Are you looking out upon a blustery Monday morning and listening to the rain pelt against your window? Perhaps what we need to keep our spirits high is a different kind of Rain World. One populated by adorable slugcats, mesmerizing bat swarms, and deadly lizards propelled by physics animation systems. This Rain World has continued its progress onto a new engine and the latest Kickstarter post – titled Mega Bat and Lizard GIF update! – is worth the time it takes for these lovely animations to load.

I’ll only embed a couple of them here, to spare your bandwidth lest you choose to click through to the post itself. First off, the new bat animations, in which they alternately swarm and act independently:

Second, the main character – the white slugcat – fleeing from some pursuing lizards:

Rain World was originally being made within Game Maker, miraculously using the accessible 2D game creation tool for the same physics-y animation you see above. After the game’s Kickstarter project was successful, more than doubling its target, the small development team decided to transition to a new engine. The post linked above from which these GIFs (or technically HTML5 animations) come shows the difference in smoothness and detail this change allows for, while also showing some debug-style views of AI and animation systems at work.

I find all this fascinating, and beautiful, and the perfect antidote to a grey Monday morning. I played an earlier version of the game, and although it was extremely difficult and a little fiddly at that early stage, I liked its art, its melancholy, and the ecosystem that it sets up between its bats, lizards and the slugcat looking for food for his or her pups.

From this site

1. Cinek says:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111
    F*** me. I forgot to back it on a kickstarter. Damn it!
    Made a bookmark back in a day, but totally forgot about actually backing it.

• Bobka says:

Kickstarter has a handy function where you can “star” a project, and it will send you an email notification two days before the project closes to remind you about it. I generally do this when I’m not sure if a project is something I’m interested in, so I can check back and look through all the updates and FAQs near the end of the campaign in one go.

Lexx87 says:

I backed this while in a Kickstarter oooh faze, and i’m looking forward to it. Keeping it off my radar until we come up to a release though, too many games to plaaaaaaaaaay.

3. Shade399 says:

That looks gorram fantastic, specifically the little furry catbeast.

4. Ross Angus says:

Starting on Monday, Kim at SleepyPuppyPlushies will begin what we hope to be a regular event: streaming the slugcat plush construction process!

Cassandra, take note, please.

5. doomlaser says:

Rain World wasn’t actually being built in Game Maker previously. It was actually something much stranger — Adobe Director!

They’re still using their frankenstein Adobe Director build to design all the levels, and aren’t using any of Unity3D’s built-in physics or editor features at all. Everything is custom C#, and Unity is serving as a sort of input and graphics engine shell for the game.

6. The Dark One says:

I’m so glad I saw this game’s campaign in time to throw some money at it. Slugcats are one of the greatest fictional inventions of our time, and each update makes them look cooler.