Family Misfortunes: Children Of Morta

Children of Morta is attractive in a way that few games manage to be. You might think it’s going to be a retro pixel art thing at first but then you see the animations, you see how every single one is packed with more frames than an entire NES cartridge. There’s hardly any information about what the game is on the official site but it was described to me as a ‘narrative-based roguelike’. As well as looking the part, it appears to have a family-based class system, nifty hacking and slashing, and rad birthday parties, complete with cake and jiving. All of that is present and correct in the video below.

There’s a Sword & Sworcery EP feel to the art, with that fluidity of motion, and the combat looks as smooth as butter – and I mean butter that’s been out of the fridge for long enough to spread on your toast without the need for a hammer and chisel.

It seems likely that gathering loot and levelling up will allow you to upgrade the family home and/or abilities, but what about that ‘roguelike’ designation? If Children of Morta has permadeath, especially after such jolly birthday celebrations, it could be a melancholy experience. Imagine every playthrough ended with the final surviving member of the family sorting through their gear and preparing for a last stand, in a house stripped of life but heavy with memories. Eek.

There’s no release date yet but hopefully we’ll know more soon.

1. zxcv says:

Oh my word. That looks simply stunning.

Mind, I think the “jolly” birthday celebrations look to have more of a hint of Satanic-death-cult ritual to them and are likely to be unfortunate for the local population of innocent, small, fluffy creatures.

2. yhancik says:

I slowly started to mentally replace the ubiquitous term “roguelike” by “video game”.

• MrUnimport says:

I like your style.

• Eagle0600 says:

I think the term “X with roguelike elements” could be useful, as long as people acknowledge that “roguelike” is a sub-genre of turn-based dungeon-crawlers.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Yeah, it’s a shame it gets applied to any game whose devs seem to feel like it.

3. BLyon says:

Wow! Truly impressive animation in those sprites. Really got that whimsical feeling from games like Magi Nation on the GBA and Folklore in the early ps3 days. Definitely going to track this one.

4. golem09 says:

The fluid pixel animations and the combat remind me a lot of Hyper Light Drifter. In a slightly less neon lit setting.

• Spacewalk says:

It’s looking like low colour count with high frame count is the way to go about it all.

• guygodbois00 says:

My thoughts exactly. Although I’m a bit rubbish at playing action (arcade?) games lately, can’t wait for Hyper Light Drifter. Gimme!

5. Hex says:

Whoever is responsible for those animations clearly has Aspberger’s.

6. ZIGS says:

Apparently this is by the same guys who made Garshasp: The Monster Slayer… yeah. Looks like a completely different game, so maybe the change of pace will benefit them. It was pretty obvious they were biting more than they could chew with Garshasp

7. airknots says:

Love the pixel art! I’d really love to play an MMORPG in the style of old Seiken Densetsu and Secret of Mana with good pixel art, but combined with modern MMORPG elements like player housing, jobs, etc.

8. haircute says:

This sounds like Legacy of The Wizard on the NES. It is part of the Faxanadu series of weird games. I think all of them came out here but with different names. Battle For Olympus might have been one.

9. AngoraFish says:

On my… I have literally never wanted a game so much as after watching this trailer.

10. AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

Soooo… was that guy sleeping fully clothed or did he go adventuring in his pajamas?

11. Kaeoschassis says:

I cannot remember the last time I saw game art that appealing… Wow, just wow.

12. Gothnak says:

It reminds me of some of the combat and death anims from one of my fave Amiga games, Moonstone. Why has no one done a modern day Moonstone? WHY?

13. Ryuuga says:

I don’t understand the appeal of roguelikes. Permadeath for a character I invested in, played, got to be friends with, gathered loot for, leveled up? Erm. That doesn’t sound fun to me at all. It sounds like frustration, annoyance, and something where I’d cheese it with quicksaves if I had half a chance to.