Styx: Master Of Shadows Launches Trailer From Darkness

I – and based on the number of posts about it, the rest of RPS as well – have been quietly hopeful that Styx: Master of Shadows will be a surprise gem in this, the Month Of Games. I worry we’ve used up our stealth bastard luck on the excellent Shadow of Mordor, but maybe there’s some magic left. The goblin main character is delightfully non-standard in his short stature and murderous ways while the rest of the world seems a grimy parody of middle ages Britain. Graham’s working away on a review in the run up to the release, but here’s a launch trailer that expands on some of the plot.

Jammin’ beats bode well.

The other recent trailer shows off yet more ways to bypass, fool and kill the various guards of the tower you’ll be infiltrating. From what I’ve seen there’s an extraordinary number of things to do in Styx, and all of them end with some poor sod’s grisly demise. He’s got a clone to summon, there’s a whole system for hiding in chests and ambushing passers by, bodies can be hidden or disintegrated. The freerunning looks great and the levels are promised to be open, with multiple routes to goals and differing ways to complete them. It just needs to coalesce into something that’s fun to play.

Styx hits Steam on October 7th, with a release discount of a fiver to £19.99. Fingers, toes and knives crossed that it lives up to its potential, but definitely one to wait for the review on.

From this site

1. Bassen_Hjertelos says:

As long as it Styx to the fantasy theme and avoids the rather misplaced music in the trailer all is well.

• Kollega says:

I just wish things would go(blin) alright for the developers. You don’t often see fantasy that gives rank-and-file “evil creatures” characterization, much less is set from their perspective.

• Low Life says:

I feel a bit bad for the developers, reading the reviews for Shadow of Mordor must be making them green with envy.

• slerbal says:

Yeah, but if they get it right they will be goblin up the sales! (sorry!)

2. Eight Rooks says:

Yeah… no, that was actually a really good trailer. Music, too. Stop being such a bunch of old men. Given it’s a budget B-release that was a surprisingly accomplished take on the little clips Ubisoft have been doing for AC, and actually awoke my interest in the game. I wouldn’t want that as the actual soundtrack (or not all the way through, at any rate) but seeing that a company actually cares enough about their franchise to put together something that slick (or at least have someone else put it together for them) does make me think “…maybe it’ll be good? Perhaps?”

Not enough to make me pre-order it, mind. But I’m certainly interested in seeing the review.

• Zallgrin says:

Yeah, Focus Home usually has good trailers. Like Mars: War Logs, which was their average B-rate movie quality, but the trailer made it look like candy.

As for the music, they did post a video about the making of music recently. They are bringing back the cellos from Of Orcs and Men and I’m 99% sure the trailer music won’t be making a comeback.

• Ross Angus says:

Let’s not forget that Thief used beatz in it’s music too. To great effect.

• slerbal says:

It felt like there was a little Thief reference going on there, didn’t it? Nice trailer. Everything so far looks great, but as we know nice trailers do not necessarily equate to good games. But I am dead keen to read the Wot I Think on Styx. Much as I like the look of this definitely not going to risk a preorder.

• Ross Angus says:

I’m also awaiting the WIT as keenly as I would when Graham forces John to review another Man-Shoot-Botty-Watcher game.

• AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

“Stop being such a bunch of old men.”

One does not ask the rain to stop pouring, the sun to stop shining, or RPS to stop being a bunch of old men.

But yeah, the music was cool. The way Ben was talking I was expecting grindcore.

3. Cross says:

On one hand: Looks good, with a promising setup!
    On the other hand: Cyanide, ewww!

I probably lean pessimistic, given that the studio making this has as crap a track record as Cyanide.

• Eight Rooks says:

I share RPS’ optimism to an extent – Cyanide and Spiders always seem like they might just possibly maybe manage to deliver on this kind of thing. But I just watched the earlier trailers for this, and a bit of Of Orcs and Men, and I remember how Mars: War Logs was ultimately nothing special (are Spiders actually involved with this spin-off? I forget) and… yeah, again, pretty good trailer, but I’d have to have a lot of money to burn to even think about pre-ordering this.

• FriendlyFire says:

Yeah, that’s the difference for me between this and Shadow of Mordor. Monolith made some classics like NOLF and arguably FEAR. Worth noting as well that the Arkham-style combat of SoM was most likely partly due to their experience with Gotham City Impostors.

Cyanide made, um… Blood Bowl I guess?

Aerothorn says:

They made Game of Thrones, the best RPG of the ’00s that isn’t Dark Souls. No, I’m not kidding.

4. zeekthegeek says:

This all falls apart for me when I see the names Cyanide and Focus on the project. No thanks.

5. XhomeB says:

I honestly want this game to be good, because I like the premise, the character and the whole idea just feels “right”. Give me a fun hero, non-linear levels, good atmosphere and a solid script.
    Cyanide never seem to nail that “you got everything right” factor however, but crossing fingers they manage to overcome that strange indisposition this time. It’s clear they are talented and have the will to try out new things.

6. Nevard says:

That is almost a great trailer but I despise the music, its constant weird cuts are just so distracting and make it hard to focus on what he’s saying and what is going on.
    Thankfully the gameplay one shows it won’t sound like that when you are playing.

7. Jamesworkshop says:

the dialogue is, well did anyone get what he was talking about

• slerbal says:

It was: “Gibber, jabber. Styx. Gibber, jabber. Nightmare. Shh!”. At least that is what I think it was. You are right the words didn’t actually make any sense…

• Henke says:

Yes. He was born on a dried up riverbed by a great tree. Everyone else of his kind were like mindless rats scurrying around and when he realized he was not like them he knew he was special. He remembers a name, Styx, and has memories of a nightmareish place. Sounds like he’s maybe a human who was reincarnated as a goblin, or something?

I like that the world is presented through the vague and unreliable memories of the protagonist.

• Jamesworkshop says:

I was expecting some form of motivation, is he a thief, an assassin, both, games are largely set up as going a to b so need a traveling reason, to get to somewhere to do some such thing

8. wills4223 says:

Awww at least give us a hint of what Graham is going to say.

• slerbal says:

I’m guessing the only thing he could say would be to whisper “embargo” softly before giggling and scurrying back up into the RPS tree-house.

9. Bobka says:

I really want this to be good. These guys seem like one of those studios that just never quite gets it right, and I’d love for this to be their big break. It’s a shame they’re competing against Shadow of Mordor.

10. v21v21v21 says:

Just one question: does a cracked bell toll?
    0:39

ErraticGamer says:

Where is that review? Tell us what to do, RPS!