Trick Or Treat: Costume Quest 2 Out Now

Boo!

Oh, we can all be cynical about the commercialisation of religious festivals and The Man trying to import American commercial holidays we have no sentimental attachment to, but look. Watch the Costume Quest 2 launch trailer and feel a little bit warm inside about Halloween. Look at those happy little children (admittedly fictional children created by adults) and their adorable little spooky costumes and think “Awww, isn’t that nice?” It’s a proper launch-launch trailer too, none of that ‘weeks in advance’ nonsense, coming this evening just as Double Fine’s RPG launched on Steam for Windows, Mac, and Linux at £10.99.

The first Costume Quest was charming but I lost interest a little after the umpteenth time of watching the same attack animations in its uninteresting combat. But, you know, the attacks came from children turned into beings from their wildest dreams by their costumes. Their adorable shoddy costumes.

I am awfully fond of wonky Halloween costumes. Sheets with holes cut in them, cotoon wool beards, cardboard box robots, fake blood dripping from every visible orifice — folks with buckets of enthusiasm but only five minutes and £5 to spare. I dig it. Enthusiasm and ideas with the seams showing. At a party we hosted a few years ago, a pal wrapped himself in a sheet and drew on a facepaint beard to come as the spectral counterpart of a famed games critic… Ian Boo-Ghost. Adorable.

Lars Westergren says:

First game was ok, but its biggest weakness was that combat got repetetive and grindy. Looks like they have adressed it more varied settings and enemies this time. If they got also got a harder combat difficulty option, I suspect it will be great.

2. mattevansc3 says:

I really enjoyed the first but then I played it in short bursts. Anything more than half an hour or so and it did get repetitive.

3. Stevostin says:

This is the kind of game that turns to be a completely different experience if you play it with your kids. My boy was 4/5 yo and he absolutely loved the costume, battles, story (I read to him, we’re not native english) and this is a very fond memory to me. After that I searched for more titles that could deliver the same kind of family high time – to this day, it has been none, although most double fine games are a treat to play with your kid.

So please keep that in mind when you review games! I am as hardcore as the next guy when it comes to my games but now I am also on the lookout for something that I can play with my boy.

Those days, it’s battleblock theater. No he yells “Ohmygod” every day. Of course he has no idea what that means. Neither in french, neither what “god” is anyway.

• Artiforg says:

I played Costume Quest 1 with my daughter. She loved it but was scared when the trolls came out of the houses and hid under my desk (she was 3 or 4 at the time). She saw CQ2 on the Steam store the other day and was really excited and is waiting for me to get it.

You’re right about DF games, she’s currently playing through Stacking and loving it – though there have been occasions where she’s got scared of the guards.

• Ross Angus says:

Did he like Stacking? I really enjoyed the mood of both games.

4. Janichsan says:

Great. :D I really liked Costume Quest 1, despite the somewhat repetitive combat. I might even put Wasteland 2 aside awhile for this. I’m wondering if CQ2 resolves the Grubbins on Ice cliffhanger, though.

5. Adamustache says:

I can’t really explain why, but I loved doing every last thing there was to do in the first Costume Quest. I mean, I can acknowledge that the battle system was not especially deep, but something about it worked for me in the context of a short little RPG. Really looking forward to playing this one as well.

• Bradamantium says:

I loved it a whole lot. It’s simple and sweet and lovely because it doesn’t think it has to be anything more than that, and it’s right. It’s nice to play a game that’s realistic in its expectations on every single level. I hope this one’s some more of that.

6. drinniol says:

Damn those Americans importing their Irish holidays to the UK!

7. Jayson82 says:

I played it every Halloween, just played it and the dlc yesterday finished both in around 5 hours or so. Its short and sweet. Nice they have made a sequel.

8. SPCTRE says:

I am not ashamed to say I enjoyed the first game, *including* the combat. Sure, it was a bit simplistic and repetitive, but not to any degree that would bother me.