Split/Mickey: Disney Arrive On Steam

Hey pals!

When Disney shut down Junction Point last year, it seemed the then-delayed PC port of toon ’em up Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two would quietly vanish. And vanish it did, without a trace, until yesterday. After 20 months lost at sea, the final game from Warren Spector’s studio suddenly appeared on Steam. Disney shook its pockets out onto Steam, turning up that lost port along with a load of other PC games including fellow Disney victim Black Rock Studio’s explode-o-racer Split/Second and off-roader Pure.

Epic Mickey 2’s an odd one, a big celebration of Disney history wrapped up in a 3D platformer with a bit of combat and the odd 2D platforming section. Reviews said it was pretty bum, but hey, perhaps it’s interesting if you’re super into Disney or Warren ‘Oh Gosh Origin Systems And Looking Glass And Deus Chuffing Ex’ Spector. It’s £13.49, if you fancy a punt. Have a look:

Split/Second, meanwhile, is a loud game about fast cars and big explosions. In some sort of grim dystopian future, television audiences deem races not exciting enough, so drivers can also trigger parts of the scenery to explode, opening up new routes or squishing rivals. Driving cars is fun and explosions are too. It’s £13.59 now, which is a touch beyond my ‘I want to see cars and explosions for an hour tonight’ price range. It’s got the dreaded SecuROM DRM too. But look, explosions:

You can also buy a whole load of movie tie-in games. LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean is probably the most interesting in there, but came in that awkward period when Traveller’s Tales looked a little tired with LEGO games.

1. Tei says:

Disney exist outside the “habitable space” of our universe. Our universe is a simulation, and Disney is a glitch in this simulation, something like a computer virus. They exist outside the parts of the universe we can see or reach with our instruments.

Of course Disney is not a good being, they exist to consume people. Since they exist outside our space, when they consume somebody, they delete it from existence. So once they eat alive a person, is like that person has never existed.

Do you know that feeling of loneliness? that you should be with some person, that something is wrong on the universe? this is because your partner got eaten alive by Disney, you was loved, your partner absolutely love you, and you loved her (or him), but it got deleted. Loneliness is missing the people that has been deleted by the simulation.

Our planet used to be like 4 times bigger, but Disney has eaten so much people, that the simulation has reconfigured automatically to use a smaller planet.

What I am tryiing to say, is that Disney is evil.

2. Buemba says:

Pure is the real gem of this list of games. As far as the racing and controls go it’s as close to the SSX series we got last gen (Since the actual SSX EA released was a gigantic waste of time).

Can’t stand most of the soundtrack, though.

• BooleanBob says:

Oh, nice. I’ve been wanting a lazy man’s way to buy Pure for ages.

• SominiTheCommenter says:

This a thousand times over. Pure is brilliant.

3. ran93r says:

I fell in to the Blur camp when it was very much Split/Second Vs Blur.
    How does this port of Split/Second hold up?

4. Ansob says:

I couldn’t help but notice a glaring lack of Tron 2.0 (instead we get the crappy Evolution tie-in), but maybe this means Disney is finally ready to leverage their old IPs into easy-ish money and GOG will be allowed to rerelease Tron 2.0?

C’mon, Disney, it’s Monolith’s best game by a mile, just let Night Dive or someone dust it off and put it up for sale. :(

• ran93r says:

I still have 2.0 kicking around somewhere and it’s one of those games I always wanted to reinstall but never did…. I might just try that if I can tear myself away from Assassin’s Creed: Mordor

• J. Cosmo Cohen says:

Is there any sort of DRM on it? Looks like I can nab a used copy for cheap on Amazon.

• ResonanceCascade says:

It uses a CD Key, but it doesn’t phone home. So as long as it comes with it, you should be fine. Fun game.

• Ansob says:

Yeah, you can just grab a CD copy and install the fan patch and have it working fine on Windows, I just want a GOG rerelease with fanpatch integrated for convenience and so more people can buy it and play it.

5. c-Row says:

Though I really enjoyed Split/Second on my Box Of X – didn’t they switch off multiplayer servers a while back?

• rcguitarist says:

Yes they did. There is no multiplayer. Single player is a blast though. Easily one of the most fun racers I have ever played (and I have almost played them all).

6. MadTinkerer says:

Does this mean, could it possibly mean: Stunt Island Steam Edition!?!

Curse you, Disney, for making me hope again!

7. hideinlight says:

Epic Mickey 2 locked at 30fps, missing COOP

8. Martel says:

Are there any actually decent Mickey related games that aren’t just a mire of microtransactions and/or shoddy ports? Hell, I’d even settle for a PS3 game. My daughter loves Mickey and there really doesn’t appear to be anything worth trying out there.

• commentingaccount says:

I enjoyed the Epic Mickey 2 demo I tried. It’s on PS3/X360/PC(Obviously)/Wii U.

• Csirke says:

Well, he is an important character in the Kingdom Hearts universe, but I’ve only played the first one and there he doesn’t personally appear much. According to the wiki, in the second game he’s more present, and is even playable in some cases for a short while:
      link to kingdomhearts.wikia.com

• Martel says:

Thanks, I might have to look for that. I have the old PS3 that still let you play PS2 games.

• commentingaccount says:

The first KH is on PS3 now, and the second will be next month. Each one includes a bonus game as well. The first release has a 3D remake of the GBA game, the second has an updated port of the PSP game.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Mickey is VERY prominent in the second.

• Oozo says:

If vintage games are not out of questions, both Magical Quest and Mickey Mania for the SNES look, to this day, gorgeous and are really good platformers.

9. elmuerte says:

Warning, Disney games come with this EULA attached: link to store.steampowered.com

As US customer you probably want to stay away from those games due to the “Binding Arbitration and Class Action Waiver”.

But also a shit load of other dubious things.

10. J. Cosmo Cohen says:

Toy Story 3 is one of the better games of the bunch, too. It has levels, but it also has a huge sandbox area to collect items and build a town in. There’s so much to do, so many things to unlock; my kids love it. This is probably their most played game.

Disclaimer: I’ve only played the PS3 version, so I’ve no idea how the PC version is. But if it’s a good port, it’s money well spent.

• Cockie says:

The port is good, BUT the sandbox mode is singleplayer only on pc (so no local coop), contrary to the console versions. Still a great game though.

11. lowprices says:

I can’t speak to the quality of the ports, but Split/Second is a criminally underrated game made of equal parts joy and fun, and is the best dangerous driving simulator since Burnout Paradise. Highly recommended.

Epic Mickey 2, on the other hand, is constructed from broken dreams, naff platforming and awful songs. Not recommended.

Also Disney? Do a PC port of World of Illusion on the Mega Drive. My brother and I spent dozens of hours on that game as kids.

• PopeRatzo says:

You know anything about this game, Pure? It looks like it might be fun. Anyone have any experience with it?

• RobF says:

It’s good, smart fun. Blackrock knew how to do arcade silly racing well. BUT I remember the port being a bit of a cock up with awful load times. It was partly why I was quite wary of Split/Second when it came out but lingering Securom aside, the SS port is lovely and still holds up well now. Aaand because it’s got split screen local multiplayer, me and the kid play it lots still.

Dunno how well Pure will have held up over time though.