Excelsior! Disney Infinity 2.0 Now On PC

Heavy boots of lead.

Disney Infinity 2.0 would’ve been the stuff of dreams when I was a young’un: a game about Marvel superheroes where toys you buy actually become characters in the game. I’d point it out whenever I saw it in a shop window, try to get invited over by friends who had it, circle it in the Argos catalogue before Christmas, then receive something thoughtful but practical because the only video games we could afford were mid-’80s 10-in-1 consoles from car boot sales. Oh boo hoo, you big baby.

2.0 is out on PC now, following its console release in September, is what I’m trying to say.

The client’s a free download from here, and doubles as a demo. You can try larking about as Iron Man in an Avengers story, Star Lord in a Guardians of the Galaxy tale, or Spider-Man doing whatever a spider can. It’s big chunky cartoony brawling, with platforming, baddie-punching, levelling with skill trees, and happy family fun cutscenes. I played the Avengers demo and sure, ‘s all right, though its open-world bits have possibly the most uncontrollable motorcycle in the history of video games.

For whatever reason, local co-op is cut from the PC version — only online here. That seems silly.

It’ll cost you £30 to turn that into the full game with a virtual Starter Pack. That’s £20 cheaper than console versions, but those do come with toys too. All the physical toys and starter sets come with codes to add their goodies to the virtual PC version, mind. Old Disney-Disney 1.0 characters can come on over too. Virtual heroes are £4, while physical ones look about £12. Crumbs. What an expensive thing this is.

1. Jalan says:

Not even a “It’s Hammer Time” tag?

I was wondering why this was absent from the tiny trove of Disney titles recently marched out onto Steam, I guess I now know why.

2. iainl says:

Well, that’s me confused. Anyone know what you get for your £30? I’m trying to figure out if it’s just a download or if you’re buying the portal and figures like the console releases have.

Also, if that means you can avoid paying the £30 by using the USB portal and figures from the PS4 release (which given my son’s Skylanders love I can see us ending up with at some point).

• OctoStepdad says:

From my little knowledge of the first game, you get the all the stuff included in that pack except for the physical items.

Its a microtransaction game; where if you were to buy it physically at the store you would get the figurines. When you buy the items off their webstore, you get a discount by just recieving the items in-game.

hope that makes sense.

Also, the physical items include digital codes for the pc verison. If your interested in making buying the digital items go to ebay because people sell the codes.

3. Spacewalk says:

… fills dad’s wallet full of dread.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

And fills me with loathing for children-exploiting developers.

Ninja Dodo says:

So, uh, are there any Disney characters in the PC version of this Disney game?

• Themadcow says:

Well, technically Marvel Super Heroes are Disney characters now… as is Darth Vader :(

I’m sure there will be more mainstream Disney characters released but, as far as I know, all Disney 1.0 characters will work in 2.0 toybox mode. Having never played either game, I hope this means that Princess Elsa from Frozen can smack the living bejezus out of Venom and Dr Octopus.

• commentingaccount says:

You mean Queen Elsa. ;)

Also I hope to play Vanellope and beat the shit out of Thanos one day.

Ninja Dodo says:

I am aware of and do not accept this reality.

As a great fan of Disney animation I am half-tempted to try this out but could not care less about Marvel characters.

• OctoStepdad says:

You can download the 1.0 game and play as Mr. Incredible for free.

And 2.0 just started with marvel characters, 2.0 is getting characters from peter pan, aladdin, etc. at some point.

Ninja Dodo says:

While I technically don’t consider Pixar characters Disney either, Incredible is at least a character I would actually want to play.

5. tumbleworld says:

Uh, is there actually a gameplay? Neither the site nor this article seem prepared to give the slightest hint as to whether the extended version is a game, or just Superhero dolls to dress up…

• Beard_Arthur says:

The video actually does a pretty good job of explaining this; it appears to be the “full” experience of the console versions with some exceptions.

I’m disappointed slightly that we didn’t get local co-op or the ability to use the portal with this (mainly the former), but I supposed it’s better than that horrible “Toy Box” Windows Store app we got with the 1.0 release.

6. malkav11 says:

Do people do local coop on PC? I guess it’s worth including for, I dunno, Big Picture mode setups and whatnot, but I for one don’t have my PC positioned in a way where that would make sense.

But then, personally I would think that the release that stands out of Disney’s recent Steam miniflood would be the combo Epic Mickey/Epic Mickey 2 pack, rather than this transparent exercise in consumerism.

7. Blackcompany says:

Is it wrong of me that this actually looks like good fun? I know I’m probably not the target audience – being 35 and all – but still…this doesn’t look half bad.

Ninja Dodo says:

You might be safe. There’s this link to youtube.com which is largely negative, but still comes out sort of liking the game despite flaws… and apparently liking it more since the 2.0 update (says twitter). It does seem fun.

8. Jer_Stryker says:

I thought this would be a cool game to play with my daughters. Too bad there’s no local co-op. Hasn’t anybody told them we’re putting PCs in our living rooms these days? So far all I can play with my little kids are LEGO games (which are great btw).

9. Foosnark says:

I am Groot.

(I mean, I bought the Groot Disney Infinity figure because it looked nifty, not for the game. I’m playing Marvel Heroes 2015 instead.)