Have You Played… 1000 Amps?

Sometimes there are games that I know for a fact people would absolutely adore, but I know for an equally certain fact most of them won’t ever give it a try. The absolutely stunning 1000 Amps is one such game.

1000 Amps is a metroidvania puzzle game, which alone should be enough to intrigue you into playing it. Single-screen rooms make up a huge network, each of which must be lit by touching all the light panels. The more light there is in a room, the higher your character can jump, which forms the core of the tricksiness that makes it so interesting.

Then new abilities start arriving, affording you new ways to approach puzzles, and making previously impossible rooms far more approachable. And from this, joy is formed. It’s sublimely well put together, with some of the smoothest, most satisfying 2D platforming I’ve ever come across, and exquisite use of sound. Combined with a properly minimalist art design (but not retro, importantly), and a pitch perfect scaling in difficulty, it’s one of the best games you never played. And you probably still won’t, because you JUST WON’T LISTEN. Look, this is the only game I’ve ever cosplayed.

Look, it’s even on Steam. £4. For goodness sake.

basilisk says:

Oh yeah, this was a good one. If I remember correctly, it shares the problem of many Metroidvanias where it isn’t always quite clear if being stuck on a room is due to a lack of skill or because there’s an ability you don’t have yet, but other than that, it’s really well made and enjoyable to play. The way the rooms gradually light up while you are solving them is quite lovely.

2. TychoCelchuuu says:

I was making good progress in this game then they updated the whole game to a new engine and it wiped my saves. Still a great game, although I’m waiting a while to go back and play through it and finally finish it so that it will feel more new.

Wisq says:

Hah, turns out I already own this on Steam and didn’t know it. Now I know what I’ll be playing tonight. Thanks!

Wisq says:

Annnd done, 100%, just minutes before bedtime. A lovely evening.

4. kalirion says:

Yup, played it, nice little game though navigation can be a bit tough.

Love this “Have You Played…” series btw. It finally got me to pull Ittle Dew out of my backlog and complete it in a few hours :)

• Kaeoschassis says:

That was by Ludosity, right?

Doing my own little bit of Have you Played…? here, if there’s anything by Daniel Remar that you haven’t tried, for goodness sake do.

Okay, that’s all. Carry on.

5. MadTinkerer says:

Indeed, this is very good. It’s also the first game that I discovered doesn’t actually use any of Steam’s DRM features.

(Before you say “but Steam is DRM by definition”: no, fuck you. It’s sold through the Steam store and downloaded and installed through the launcher, but after that it doesn’t require the launcher. If Valve goes out of business and all Steam servers are shut down but you have a backup of the 1000 Amps local files, it will work just fine.

If people would stop assuming all Steam games have some kind of DRM, maybe we could put pressure on publishers to be open about which Steam games have exactly how many restrictions and maybe encourage more pubs to use less DRM. But no, “you” have to assume the worst and kill the conversation before it begins.

(If this does not apply to you, then obviously you are not “you”.))

So anyway, 1000 Amps is totally worth the asking price.

basilisk says:

It’s written in Flash, and AFAIK it’s technically impossible to put Steam’s form of DRM on Flash games (it’s all related to the way executables are generated). This is related to the fact that Flash games cannot have Steam achievements without resorting to some sort of a dirty hack (like Binding of Isaac did).

So while yes, there are many games that don’t use Steam’s DRM solution (intentionally or not), some of them don’t simply because they cannot, and 1000 Amps falls into this latter category.

• TychoCelchuuu says:

It was written in flash. A while ago they rewrote in in C++, I believe, to make performance better.

• Jalan says:

The developer converted it out of Flash a time ago.

(This would’ve been less redundant had the previous reply mentioning the same not been cached from my view, saving me the time of being “that guy that repeats crap for no reason”)

• welverin says:

The point of MadTinkerer’s post is that Steam isn’t inherently DRM and people need to stop assuming that just because you get a game through Steam you have to use Steam to play the game.

Divinity: Original Sin and Wasteland 2 can both be played independently of Steam, and they’re definitely not flash games.

• Jalan says:

There are games you can launch without having Steam running – true – but there are also plenty that require it.

• Matt_W says:

FWIW, Kerbal Space Program also doesn’t use DRM at all. I often maintain several installations with different mod sets just by copying my Steam installation to another folder. I suspect that it’s pretty common for indie games, especially, to eschew the DRM.

6. elderman says:

1000 Amps has been on my list of coveted games since it came out. I suppose by now the developer’s moved on and it will never get a Linux port. Too bad. Perhaps, if as basilisk says, it’s made in Flash, it was a victim of the end of Flash support for Linux.

7. SmallGods says:

Hah, just purchased. That’ll learn ya!

8. Baf says:

The thing I like the most about this game is the way it progressively violates more and more of your assumptions. It seems so straightforward at first, but as you go along, you start encountering rooms that you can only solve by leaving and re-entering from a different direction, or rooms consisting of multiple disconnected pieces, or rooms without floors. It keeps on pulling up new surprises until very near the end.

9. jbd says:

This is my first game I managed to get all the Steam Achievements on.

Also (not by coincidence) one of my favorite puzzle platformers.

10. Enkinan says:

Well shit, there went my day. Bought it after reading the post, just got 100%.

Great game. I could only imagine what this guy could do with a budget.