The Con Is Gone: Devil’s Dare

Devil’s Dare is a realistic depiction of what would happen in the event of an invasion of creatures from horror and sci-fi movies at a games convention. Naturally, a group of gamers fight back against the beasties, which range from the expected (zombies) to the rather more unusual (there’s a T-800 in there, if my eyes don’t deceive me). The action takes the form of a Streets of Rage style beat ’em up and can be played by up to four people, locally, with unique skillsets for each character. Permadeath is in play and it’s the risk/reward scheme surrounding ultimate demise that has me intrigued – run out of coins and you’re gone for good, but don’t spend cash on upgrades and you’ll struggle as the going gets tough.

Developers Secret Base are known for the Tobe series of platformers and Bitejacker, which is a prequel of sorts to Devil’s Dare. I say they’re ‘known’ but not to me – perhaps you know of them and perhaps that knowledge lends you reason to be excited about this latest brawler? I’m in it for the monsters and co-op. If the permadeath/spending structure can create tension among the fisticuffs, all the better.

It’s like a less gory version of Splatterhouse set at a gaming convention, isn’t it? Which is essentially what I see everytime I close my eyes on the last day of Gamescom every year. I really hope there isn’t a twist revealing that the protagonists were accidentally pummelling cosplaying horror fans the whole time.

Devil’s Dare is out on the 21st.

1. Bremze says:

Permadeath-but-not-really-hope-you-like-grinding really put me off Rogue Legacy (or Rogue Legacy soured the mechanic for me), so I’m kind of sad to see a bunch of neat looking games going with the concept.

• slerbal says:

I feel the same way about Rogue Legacy, but nonetheless I shall be keeping my peepers trained on this as the art style is very appealing.

Damien Stark says:

I guess I’m gonna weigh in on the opposite of your scale then – I love that about Rogue Legacy.

I get the appeal of random-generated dungeons and playing them from the beginning many times over rather than just slogging through a really long campaign. But I hate the idea of dumping hours of my limited time into a game and having nothing to show for it. Boom, dead, start over.

There’s a reason platform games don’t play like Super Mario Bros 1 or Castlevania 1 anymore. My time has value to me, if I sink 10 hours into a game I want to have made some progress. I thought Rogue Legacy struck an excellent balance there.

2. Viroso says:

This one seems sluggish enough to be like the old beat em ups. The new beat em ups I see nowadays are all too fast and fluid. I think they’re more fun when they’re more resident evilish… like, stopping to punch someone is a commitment, it locks you down.

3. Alien426 says:

Where are the “All Your Base” and “Legen… wait for it …dary!” pop culture references?
    Ugh!

4. NailBombed says:

So…. many….. references – wizard needs tropes badly. Still, looks mighty fun. And still enjoy pixely related retro-style type game things, so cool.

5. yabonn says:

Not only Golden Axe : we have Baby Head from Captain Commando, the sword guy from just about everywhere, and the fourth ninja turtle.

I like it, not enought 2.5D brawlers like this.

6. Wowbagger says:

What in the world is a tobe? Can it be milked?

• slerbal says:

almost certainly. At least that is my uninformed opinion :D

7. Hex says:

What’s with the gratuitously exposed midriff on the (one!) female character.

Where’s Nathan when you need him?