Have You Played… Dog Of Dracula 2?

I know, I know.

“This story is dedicated to all those otakus who fight against injustice and corruption every day of their lives”, opens Dog of Dracula 2. Don’t worry if you missed Dog of Dracula 1. The intro explains that after overthrowing the tyrant who banned condiments, most of the world is now jacked into the cyberbahn under megacorp monitoring. It ends: “2000 A.D. Nuevo Tokyo is about to E.X.P.L.O.D.E.”

Some of that might sound familiar. Dog of Dracula 2 is a free interactive novel bulging with references to anime, ’90s pop culture, junk food, video games, movies, and all that jazz. It’s funny, odd, and self-aware enough to make that work far better than it might sound.

I could tell you more about Dog of Dracula 2, the struggles of WoofLeaks to bring down the corps, but a selection of screenshots should tell you everything you need to make your mind up about whether you’ll give it a few minutes of your time and a few megabytes of your hard drive.

An ally and romantic interest.

You and me both, pal. This is our hero.

Life in the pre-postapocalypse can be grim.

Everyone suffers. Even cats. Or capybara.

But we make friends.

And rebels know how to stick it to The Man.

1. HKEY_LOVECRAFT says:

The last image made me laugh. I’ve been using ‘birds akimbo’ for over a decade. And yes, I actually say the words as I make the dual-handed, middle-finger gesture, wrists crossed for effect.

I might be lame.

Also, for some reason these screenshots gave me serious Rise of the Dragon vibes. About to lose myself to Google image searches for the foreseeable future…

Send help.

2. Zallgrin says:

You know, this is some real stuff. I wish more games tried to paint the picture of the troubles that haunt the current generation. Dog of Dracula 2 seems to satisfy my crave for grim and realistic cyberpunk dramas.

3. Tom Walker says:

This is absolutely batshit insane. Bravo.

4. Hex says:

So I’ve been recently reading the LP Archive’s Let’s Play of Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden. Highly recommended.

This game seems to be its spiritual sibling.

5. gnodab says:

That looks awesome! And I have never heard of it.
    Have You Played… finally delivers! Please more hidden gems and less steam bestsellers.

6. Munnrah says:

Oh my. A Capivara. ohohoh. I might play just for the capivara.

7. cpt_freakout says:

Like we would ever use a megabyte of data. Who do you think we are, gods?!?

8. Fontan says:

I did play the first one, wasn’t aware of the second. Thanks for the recommendation, Alice!

Bluerps says:

While it might be possible to play Dog of Dracula 2 without first playing Dog of Dracula 1, that is just not a good idea. Because the first one is awesome too!

10. AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

Not only have I played Dog of Dracula 2, but I am SO DEEP INSIDE YOUR HEAD that I know what made you think about Dog of Dracula 2: you saw that photo Cara Ellison posted on her twitter about a Japanese indie game set in a cyberpunk café, displaying a remarkably Dog of Dracula-ish canine bartender.