Impact Winter: A Snowball’s Chance

It’s interesting to note that while we absolutely did once have too many WW2 games, and later there certainly were too many zombie-based games, there can never be too many post-apocalyptic survival games. Why? Science can’t yet explain, and theologians have only offered impetuous shrugs. But still they come, and still there’s room. The latest attempt to join this grim-futured desperation for survival is Impact Winter, pitching on Kickstarter for £95,000. It’s an RPG from Mojo Bones, it’s very snowy, and best of all, you have an android companion.

Eight years ago Earth went a bit wrong, after an asteroid tried to give it a kiss. They say it “decimated” the Earth’s population but (PET HATE ALERT) I doubt it divided it by ten. I imagine it did a lot more than that. And now the planet is a snowy wasteland, and you’ve got to try to survive for 30 days before help might be coming your way.

You’ll have a team to guide, with dilemmas for them to solve, crafting to get a safer home, and scenarios that will affect the outcome of each go. They say. You can see details about the team of characters over on the Kickstarter page, where you can also speculatively back the project, with £9 for a copy of the final game.

The art looks really charming, and while there certainly are a lot of survival games around at the moment, my interest in them is yet to wane. I’m keeping an eye on this one.

1. Philotic Symmetrist says:

Well, if it did divide the Earth’s population by 10 then it would still not have decimated it; if it had reduced it by a tenth that would be a different matter.

Lexx87 says:

John just got schooled. Schooled!

• Wowbagger says:

and if I remember rightly from my popular fiction, that tenth would be beaten to death (using only their fists) by the other nine tenths.

tigerfort says:

I believe stoning to death was also acceptable, and what’s annihilation by meteor impact if not stoning on a truly gigantic scale?

• Philotic Symmetrist says:

Sorry, it’s hard to resist trumping pedantry with pedantry, especially when something is stated with the conviction of a pet hate.

• tejot says:

…and on that note I’d like to point out that there’s no android (i.e., “human-shaped”) companion here, just a drone.
          The game looks nifty!

• SanguineAngel says:

beaten to the punch! Good work soldier

Ninja Dodo says:

You guys know language changes and words drift from their original meaning, right? The written word (or the ability to find the original meaning) slows this down but doesn’t stop it.

• SanguineAngel says:

but decimate is such a wonderfully precise word – in both meaning and etymology. Losing that is a sad thing to me.

Besides the dual meaning it now possesses is confusing because the new meaning is thematically similar but specifically different. Both meanings are used in the same context but indicate very different things so it’s impossible to really tell what someone means when they use it.

Harlander says:

Complaining about linguistic drift doesn’t stop it either, but I’ll be damned if I let that stop me!

@SanguineAngel: to be honest, in the case of decimate, the preponderance of use is probably the “destroy a great proportion” one in these benighted times :p

Ninja Dodo says:

Maybe too precise. In what context other than the Roman military would you want to use decimate in its original meaning?

• SanguineAngel says:

to indicate the destruction of one tenth of something, or in a vaguer sense – a relatively small amount.

I think to be honest that decimate has been confused with desiccate, which would be far more dramatic.

Ninja Dodo says:

I can’t really imagine a real life scenario in which the reduction of a group by a tenth would not be more clearly described by simply stating numbers. Which is to say, “clear” as in understood by the maximum number of people.

Seems to me insisting on the precision of the term only ensures its extinction.

• SanguineAngel says:

Man, I just like the word and its original meaning and the way it’s put together. Don’t harsh my vibe. I could imagine it might be handy agricultural term though

Ninja Dodo says:

Apologies for the harshing of vibes.

Just liking a word is a perfectly good reason. My favourite twitter account is the Oxford English dictionary of often obsolete but highly amusing words: link to twitter.com

• SanguineAngel says:

ah, much obliged! The OED is the real winner today, gaining a new follower. just one, mind

• Mags says:

If you’re the Master in Doctor Who, end of series 3 or so.

I may have been absurdly happy about his order to kill every tenth person on Earth, because at least he’d used decimate correctly.

2. dethtoll says:

How about a WW2 zombie survival game?

3. davethejuggler says:

Man, I love that logo.

4. SanguineAngel says:

Decimate means to kill one in ten, not to divide by ten. So a decimated village of 100 people would have 90 people remaining. Not 10. The misuse of the word is also a pet hate of mine. Samesies!

• manny says:

No decimate originally meant the name of what they did to legions which ran from the enemy, you can’t apply it to villages or as a general 10% reduction in numbers.

Nowadays it’s meaning is almost entirely unrelated to it’s original meaning.

• SanguineAngel says:

Hi, I’m a bit late back on the reply to this so I doubt any eyes will see it but it is my understanding that the literal meaning of the word, even in Rome, was the removal of 1 tenth of something. However, the practice was famously applied on mutinous legions. Probably, the term was also used in other circumstances also.

Ninja Dodo says:

Not to go too far off-topic from the linguistic discussion here, but the game looks nice.

• BLyon says:

Agreed. Really hoping there’s a big emphasis on entering seemingly small structures at the surface, and then exploring their vast expanse under the snow. I have to wonder what the threat is as well. Without any sort of monster, I’d think it’ll need to be the cold and or other hostile survivors.

• Martel says:

I also think it looks nice. The story reminds me of Lucifer’s Hammer – link to en.wikipedia.org

6. Viroso says:

So, did anybody here first learn and use decimated with its “correct” meaning before learning people use it as “slaughter a whole bunch of folk”?

Unlikely, unless you were born in the 17th century. Since the friggin 17th century this word’s used “incorrectly” and I’m sure literally (yeah, I went there, LITERALLY!) everyone first learns and uses decimated to mean “destroy most of something” before learning the old meaning.

This is exactly like if I got pissed by people using “custom” to mean personalized. Custom comes from customary, so it’s closer to standard than personal.

One day, someone discovered that decimated meant destroying one in ten and decided to annoy everyone with it, then somebody else found that out and the pedantry has been passed on for centuries! Friggin centuries of people annoying others with this.

You, you have the power to stop this madness! Never again say that decimated means “destroy one in ten” unless as fun etymology trivia.

• SanguineAngel says:

So at some point in the 17th Century (roughly) the word Decimate meant to slaughter a whole bunch of folk, having changed meaning over the course of time from its original meaning of destroying one tenth. Then, through the revelation of ancient knowledge and the power of collective pedantry, the meaning is once again in flux. For hundreds of years the words has had two commonly known meanings. But one contradicts the other! This cannot last. Soon it shall revert to it’s new meaning, which is the same as its old meaning. It is just a matter of time.

• Viroso says:

Dang, I had not seen the big picture. I had not realized we’re stuck in this loop. Who’s to say “destroy one in ten” was the original meaning to begin with?!

• WiggumEsquilax says:

Soon every word in the English language will be replaced with pedantry, the one word to rule them all.

• AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

Did ‘decimate’ ever actually mean ‘to kill one tenth’? I mean, its Latin root word meant that, but did it ever mean that in English?

The Portuguese word for decimate is ‘dizimar’, which comes from the precisely same origin, and I’ve never seen anyone argue that it means ‘to kill one tenth’.

Also, did you know the word ‘car’ is short for ‘carriage’? When someone tells you they’ve bought a new car do you ask what colour are the horses?

• Philotic Symmetrist says:

“fun etymology trivia”…you mean like an RPS comment thread?

7. Beebop says:

“there can never be too many post-apocalyptic survival games”

That one’s coming back to bite you on the rump within ten years.

8. Hex says:

Oh man that video almost put me to nappy-times. The game may be great, but that was a snooze-fest.

Also, I used to work with a guy named Jacob Solomon. His really name was something innocuously German-American, but he’d converted to Judaism briefly — though long enough to have his name legally changed to the most Hebrew-sounding name he could come up with, apparently.

That kind of ruins it for me.