Freeware Garden: Space Gardener

I call myself Neil the Shrubber.

Freeware gardening aside, I really am not much of a gardener in real life. I’d love to, but I don’t have a garden. Anyway. Seems like virtual space gardening could make for quite the substitute. Despite not being certain as to how such things would work on a real, very physical and appropriately deadly planet that’s not Earth, the terrific Space Gardener makes it sound like a lovely prospect.

Space Gardener casts you as gardener in a proper-though-pixelated spacesuit and is as relaxing as a game-y experience can get. It is, exactly as the tin implies, all about creating and tending an extraterrestrial garden. All about turning alien environments into nice flowery places. A peaceful, soothing and creative affair that, and please trust me on this one, is 13 times more relaxing than the best of your digital aquariums.

Working on that space garden of yours involves digging up blocks; that’s a lot of two dimensional landscape architecture and a lot of harvesting blue, rocky blocks that can be processed by a special machine, which will convert them into pots. Said pots contain plants that grow to look lovely and produce seeds, which when converted themselves, reward players with a harder shovel and the potential to unlock more goodies and make a more beautiful garden.

Yes, it’s simple and slow, but it’s lovely. Play it with the music on and a cup of whiskey masquerading as tea and you’ll simply love it.

1. Zial says:

I’m confused, this game isn’t free. Its cheap at a minimum price of .50 cent/pence but not free.

• Konstantinos Dimopoulos says:

Of course its free. Just click the download button and follow the “No thanks, just take me to the downloads” link :)

2. cpt_freakout says:

The perfect Sunday game.

3. like, a hundred bears says:

As the developer of this game-like experience, thank you so much for the kind words! I’m glad you enjoyed it!

4. Telkir says:

A very relaxing and enjoyable little game – left me wanting more of the same after finishing the “progression”. Nice!

DantronLesotho says:

Looks right up my alley; I will definitely be trying it this weekend :)

6. An Atheist Jew says:

After neglecting to manually save my way through after playing for an hour or so, I hit the escape key in a manner befitting the “pause” functionality I’m used to when playing windowed games.

That was a mistake. Hit that key and the game will reset, and all your progress will be lost, as will (most likely) your desire to play it again. As was mine.

Fun game, and quite relaxing, with wonderful music. Perhaps an auto-save function, next time? Cheers.

7. Nixitur says:

The game slows down to a crawl once you’ve dug out a significant amount of blocks. Currently, the time between jumping and landing is about 1.5 seconds while, at the beginning, it takes less than 0.5 seconds.
    That’s a 3x slowdown right there! What on earth is the game calculating?
    Also, I can hold down the right mouse button to place lots of pots in a row, but I have to press the left mouse button 180 times if I want to deposit 180 blocks in the machine. I am absolutely baffled by this design decision.

After about 20 to 30 minutes of play, I am now able to dig out orange blocks, but since each one takes about three seconds to dig out and I walk at a snail’s pace, I have absolutely no desire to continue.

• like, a hundred bears says:

I’m terribly sorry to hear about the performance issue. I never encountered any issues during testing and haven’t heard of problems from any other players, but nonetheless I regret that you’re having problems. I took measures to improve performance related to blocks during development so I’m not quite sure what the issue might be.
      Have you tried saving (F5), restarting the game, and loading your save (F8)?
      Again, I sincerely regret the problems you’ve encountered. My twitter is linked from the game’s page if you have further concerns.

• Toupee says:

I too encountered the slowdown, but I also am not really sure what to do after growing orange-potted flowers, so that’s the main reason I stopped.

But I found it a lovely way to spend an hour. The music is beautiful and the game is fun. It’s nice to explore and not know what to expect. It feels honest somehow.