What Are You Playing This Weekend?

Good Saturday morning to you, RPS, you’re looking especially nice in your new dressing gown. While Sundays have long been for the reading of articles, the weekend in general is for games. Playing games, watching games, thinking about games. GAMES.

So a few questions for the RPS massive. What are you playing this weekend, and what do you think of it? Plus, what game streams are you watching this weekend? I’ll get us started below.

My main plan this weekend is to give Alien: Isolation another shot. I bounced straight off it during the week, finding its stealth impenetrable and its saving frustrating. I’ll be completely restarting and switching control schemes in an attempt to conquer it. Previously I’d dragged my sofa up to the PC and grabbed a 360 controller, but I think the deviation from my normal chair’n’mouse’n’keyboard was part of the reason for my confusion. I really do want to like it, not least because it’s ever so pretty but I’m a big fan of one of the lead writers, Dan Abnett. His contributions to the Warhammer 40,000 universe, particularly the Horus Heresy series, are absolutely superb.

Failing that, Hearthstone has its hooks in me. I’ve tired of the heartbreak rollercoaster that is Arena, but find the constant improvement and gradual increase in understanding of the constructed play mode great. I never give it my full attention, always it’s accompanied by a TV show, movie or stream on my second monitor (did you know Alec hasn’t had a second monitor for months? I don’t know how he’s survived). It’s perfect for that, requiring just the right level of strategic planning and interaction to keep my brain and hands busy while another episode of Arrow, the best-worst show on television, filters by.

When I’m not gorging myself on America’s greatest export, I expect the Magic: The Gathering Pro Tour will be getting my Twitch-balls this week. I’ve been playing the game for four years now and the pro scene and its coverage has been getting better and better throughout. It’s unlikely to be particularly understandable to the totally uninitiated, but those who’ve given a round or two to Duels of the Planeswalkers should make some sense of it. If you’ve never touched the game, well, honestly I recommend you keep your bank balance intact and leave it that way, but last year’s Duels game was pretty great.

If that’s not your bag, I expect the League of Legends World Championships semi-finals will also be getting a look in. I don’t follow the game in general, taking a natural path of progression from enjoying DotA to playing Dota 2, but Riot put on a helluva show and I like to keep up with the big happenings. Not least so I actually understand what all my friends are talking about more than 3% of the time. If you missed it, the World Championships trailer is probably going to take my coveted “games-related media of the year” prize for a great portrayal of just how seriously competitive gaming takes itself.

Which just about does it – and you, fair reader? What’s entertaining you this weekend?

Top comments

1. Awesomeclaw says:

I'm flying to India for a conference this weekend, so I'll probably be playing Factorio on my laptop. Suggestions for other linux-supporting 2d games welcome!
  2. Slice says:

Fatherhood: The Game (and the expansion pack Motherhood: Sea of Trials) may get good ratings (Metacritic 83), but there's *no way* I'm buying it. First of all, the free demo that starts it off ("Enjoy intense co-op action with your partner!") is really fun but it's *nothing* like the main game!

And don't get me started on the payment model. It may not be pay-to-win, but it seems the game finds a way to charge you real world money for just about everything! For years and years! And you basically have to spend all your time playing to get any good at it. This game is too much like real life. What a scam. Don't even get this on a Steam sale.
  1. PaladinGunn says:

Elite Dangerous, as I’ve been doing for a few months now :D
    But the double XP gain for Heroes of the Storm is kinda tempting, too.

• Ben Barrett says:

You foul Elite: Dangerous temptor/esses are everywhere! It’s so pretty ;_;

I wanna try Heroes too, but never got a key. I’d bet on it going into open beta/soft-launch post-Blizzcon, probably going to pick it up then.

• PaladinGunn says:

I wouldn’t bet on it going into open beta so soon :D
        Let’s call it an informed hunch.

Although a huge number of keys might be sent arount that time.

• Ulaxes says:

Me, too. I finally gave up the resistance and bought the beta access additional to my original backing. Having played frontier as a boy, E.D. is like a dream coming true.

2. Patches the Hyena says:

Shadow of Mordor and a bit of Diablo III, in among revision. Also hoping to finish off The Swapper!

3. TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

NBA 2K15 is currently melting my brain with joy, it is THAT good.

Arguably the best game of the whole franchise, possibly the best sports game in general too. Don’t quote me on that though, as i hate football/soccer/whatever-you-call-people-kicking-balls and i’m not interested in Madden stuff either.

And yes, for the sake of this argument i’m limiting the “sports” cathegory to “activities that require to do some stuff with a ball or similar shape”.

Oh and off course Shadow of Mordor, which is impossible for me to actually “beat” because i can’t really get over my PokéOrcs obsession.

• Ben Barrett says:

This is the first time I have heard anyone say … well really anything about the NBA games. And I like basketball! That good, huh?

• WibbsterVan says:

That particular franchise is generally pretty amazing. I tend to buy it every couple of years or so, but I haven’t sprung for the new one yet, partly because their price point has gone up from £20 to £30 compared to previous years.

• Jason Moyer says:

The PC version used to be cheap because it was feature/content limited compared to the console versions. This year it’s apparently exactly the same as the XBone/PS4 version, and the price went up to reflect that.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Aye, literally the only thing missing is that you can’t use a camera to create your MyPlayer.

And yeah, in response to the above, the NBA games tend to be mostly ignored around these parts, but whatever is the reason for that it has nothing to do with the actual quality of the games, which are incredibly well regarded otherwise.

It really helps that we finally can get the “next gen” version, with the new features there’s the potential for hundreds of hours of play, including a built in “Football manager”-like mode aswell.

Sure, gameplay beats graphics yadda yadda bla bla bla, but this time around we have BOTH! Total win.

• Slazer says:

Got 250-450 hours on all versions since 2007 and while it was a great expereience all those years, this one is a step up so many levels.

Having your own player now feels like an actual storyline with tones of cutscenes, dialoges and dynamic stuff, I can’t wait to finish my first season and see what happens. And instead of joining a quickgame, you can enter an actual park with several courts where you have to enter the queue for the next game and stay on-court if you win. You actually try to figure out which players and good based on their looks and try to join them

4. SMGreer says:

Still caught up in Alien Isolation and loving it to bits, even when it reduces me to frightened weeps. Think I’m on the last couple of missions now and besides a slight lull at the start of the final third, found it’s returned to being utterly terrifying. One brief section in particular is the cruellest thing I could have imagined them doing to those who’ve already spent a dozen or more hours being scared to death. Excellent stuff.

• Vandelay says:

Been playing this over the week and it really is something special. I’m not very far (mission six or five,) but I’ve been really impressed with the way they use the alien in such a measured way. It’s presence is always felt, even if it is not there. When it is there, it stalkers you around the environment and makes the atmosphere so tense that it makes it rather stressful to play.

As I was cowering in a cupboard, I realised that Creative Assemble have created a new genre here; the game is a slasher game, much like the original film was a slasher film disguised as sci-fi. It’s brilliant.

• One Pigeon says:

I shall also mostly be playing Alien: Isolation. Mostly.

5. jezcentral says:

God help me, Hitman Absolution is growing on me. Replaying it is showing me way the systems work, in a way I missed first time round. Too many wrong design decisions, though.

That and Unreal Engine, which has been taking most of my time, recently.

I’m finding Fatherhood: The Game is also taking up too much of my time, but is still strangely satisfying, despite the fact it has morphed into an MMORPG. I feel my input into the Early Access process was ignored.

cairbre says:

Lol thank you for brightening up my Saturday. I bought SoM for my ps4 so I will be spending my day in the living room.

• Slice says:

Fatherhood: The Game (and the expansion pack Motherhood: Sea of Trials) may get good ratings (Metacritic 83), but there’s *no way* I’m buying it. First of all, the free demo that starts it off (“Enjoy intense co-op action with your partner!”) is really fun but it’s *nothing* like the main game!

And don’t get me started on the payment model. It may not be pay-to-win, but it seems the game finds a way to charge you real world money for just about everything! For years and years! And you basically have to spend all your time playing to get any good at it. This game is too much like real life. What a scam. Don’t even get this on a Steam sale.

cairbre says:

And job: the game is very grindy

• natendi says:

This was excellent :)

• MacTheGeek says:

I’ve been playing F:tG for ten months now. I groan whenever it’s time to play the “Change Diaper” minigame; it lost its appeal when Smelly Odors leveled up, but I still have to grind through it several times a day.

I have to admit, though, the game grows on you. I honestly shed a tear when my avatar successfully researched Doctrine:Mobility and crawled across the floor (lured by a wireless keyboard — that’s some brilliant AI right there.) There are a bunch of dull, repetitive tasks, but I guess they’re important for the sake of immersion or something.

I got an early peek at the Standing On Two Feet level the other day, and I have to admit, I’m pretty geeked about that one. I have a feeling I’ll be playing that one by the end of the month.

• The Unnamed Council says:

I have been multi-boxing that game for a while and the grind has been incredible. I am running into the same problems, though: The provider will not let me renege any of my subscriptions, so I appear to be stuck with that for a while. Juggling three avatars can be a chore, but I was lucky on the random generator – all three got pretty good stats (or maybe I am biased ;-)).

I did manage to start a bit of modding, though, my first script being called “Leave me alone and go to bed, I need some time for myself, too, you know?” It’s still quite buggy, but occasionally it works.

When it did work, I played two drafts of Hex: Shards of Fate, which turns out to be the best online TCG I have played (and to me is much, much superior to Hearthstone). Still in Beta, so people interested in PvE might wait a little bit, but the game itself is great, the client in pretty good shape right now (Closed Beta).

6. bill says:

Magrunner – Dark Pulse.

The article on ‘Portal being good for our brains’ kind of inspired me to try this out, as I’ve had it for a while now and never gotten around to playing it.

It’s actually pretty good. It’s very very very similar to portal, but with the comedy replaced with horror.
    It took me a bit longer to get into it than portal, as magnetic cubes aren’t as instantly fun as portals, but some of the later puzzles get quite creative and clever.

It’s a bit closer to portal 1 than portal 2 – a little less guidance, more twitch timing needed, and more than one solution possible at times. This is good and bad. Good because it feels more open (Like portal 1), bad because you can sometimes spend 30 minutes almost solving it but not quite getting it to work, only to find out you were doing totally the wrong thing. (Portal 2 never had that, as there was always one clear solution).

I’m only half way through, but I’m actually enjoying it a lot.

(that, and also being sick and coughing a lot)

• kaer says:

That was a fun and interesting game. I played about a year ago, and now kind of want to play again, despite my list of unplayed games.

7. dawnmane says:

Shadow of Mordor. I finally have time for it, so I am busy messing with the Nemesis System. Also Grim Dawn Early Access , and if EA turns the cloud saves back on, Dragon Age II to finish up some side quests before Inquisition.

• dysomniak says:

Loving SoM, probably going to finish it this weekend. My save file says I’m at 94% with just one story mission left to go (3/5 warchiefs branded) after 31 hours.

The nemesis system is really something. There was this one guy on the first map, Skak the Executioner, that I must have fought at least a dozen times. A few times he killed me, a few more I killed him, and we each ran away more than once, but that motherfucker had a knack for showing up at the worst possible times – usually when I was low on health in a fight with one or two other captains. “Tried to kill me,” he’d shout by way of greeting “how does it feel to be a failure?” By the end he was basically just a mass of scars, but you know what? When I finally sent his bandage-wrapped skull spinning through the air all I could think was “I’m going to miss that guy.”

R.I.P. Skak

• dysomniak says:

And I’ve hit 100% now, just under 33 hours of gameplay. I’ll probably play with the nemesis system a bit more (maybe get a few of those last half dozen steam achievements) otherwise I’ve got an Enemy Within playthrough to finish and I need to shuffle things around to make room for the Pre-Sequel on my SSD. And also real life…

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

You might be interested in knowing that with Dragon Age Keep you can not only import your characters, but you can actually change any single choice directly from there, watch the whole reconstruction etc etc, so at the end of the day you’ll have the chance to reconstruct everything the way you want without the extra trouble.

There should be a beta version of that thing if i’m not mistaken, but i have no clue how to get in or anything, if it exists at all. It’s supposed to go online shortly before launch.

• jezcentral says:

Excellent. I may need to tune my save game, just in case the mods for Origins cause problems. Y’know, my female rogue having a baby with Morrigan. I mean, how did that happen, eh? :)

8. karthink says:

Setting everything on fire in Little Inferno. The music is brilliant and harrowing, just like in World Of Goo.

Also moving to the beat in Beatbuddy, getting shot in the back (repeatedly) in Receiver and getting shot everywhere in Luftrausers.

I was supposed to continue Wasteland 2 this weekend, but a gaggle of smaller games snuck up on me.

• Awesomeclaw says:

I’m not sure what I expected Little Inferno to be when I got it, but it certainly exceeded my expectations. I don’t even know how to describe what that game starts as (burning simulator?) or becomes (emotions simulator?).

• Ben Barrett says:

I’m intrigued. Will be looking into this. Thanks!

• RandomNext says:

Yogscast totally ruined that game for me. I normally dont watch their videos but somehow happened to find it on Youtube, saw 2 Minutes and now a) can’t watch Yogscast ever again (because IMO it was the worst LP I have EVER experienced) and b) Little Inferno is ruined for me.

So thanks to them I will never experience that game the way it should be.

• karthink says:

I just finished it… and wow. It’s quite something, isn’t it?

I had no idea what it was about when I started. I downloaded it on a whim from a humble bundle tab I found open in my browser yesterday.

9. JS says:

Star Citizen, no doubt. There is currently a free week (from Oct 10 to 17), where all 5 ships that are currently available in the Area Commander dogfighting module are available for all backers to test drive. So I’ll be trying out the Hornet, the racing ships and the others, to see how they compare to my humble Aurora.

• Ben Barrett says:

Oh, that sounds sweet. Not open to non-backers, is it?

• derbefrier says:

Enjoy the M50 its the most fun to fly ship in the game right now in my opinion. Its a joy to fly and race with.

The live stream was pretty cool finally got to see some planetside stuff and a gameplan for how the first part of the PU is going to launch. Also first 10 levels of Squadron 42 next year woot!

• JS says:

Ok, I look forward to trying the M50, so far I’ve only tested the Hornet briefly, and it certainly has more potent weaponry than my Aurora :-)

I had forgotten about the live stream, something else to look forward to when it gets uploaded to Youtube!

10. Severian says:

Wasteland 2 – I’m about 24 hours in, currently trying to deal with the Mad Monk servants of the Mushroom Cloud.
    And maybe a little Titanfall to blow off steam. Not a great game, but a fun one in small doses.

In boardgaming, I’m hoping to get a solid solo session of Mage Knight in – but it’s been a while, and I don’t remember all the damn rules…

• oohshiny says:

Mage Knight the miniatures game or Mage Knight Board Game? My play group has been trying to get the board game going but it takes more hours than we usually have.

• Severian says:

Board game. I love it, but I doubt I would ever play it with more than 1. It’s just a huge time-sink, and best played if taken at a leisurely pace, sipping tea/scotch, and not worrying about down-time between turns.

11. Lars Westergren says:

Wasteland 2, Ethan Carter, and maybe a Dota2 match or two if my friends are up for it.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

How are you finding ethan? It looks so pretty but been hearing mixed reports

• Lars Westergren says:

Very pretty, great music and atmosphere. Only a few puzzles in, they are ok I think, not too hard, not too easy. A lot of it is just walking, but I’m ok with games being “walking simulators”.

Voice acting could be better….that does bother me slightly.

12. Kleppy says:

Zeus help me, I’m actually hurting my way through Dragon Age 2 in preparation for Inquisition.

To be honest, it’s not that bad a game, but only if you’ve paid less than $5 for it. It’s just the most vanilla RPG I’ve ever played. Also, who the hell thought that starting area was a good idea? Jeeeeesus.

13. Eight Rooks says:

I’m dipping in and out of lots of things. Shadow of Morrrrrrrrdor. A mix of backlog and odd games from bundles or Early Access – Lego Marvel Superheroes (it finally clicked for me), Lili: Child of Geos, Torchlight II again (since I’m curious how I feel about other ARPGs now I’ve put so much time into PoE), keep meaning to go back to The Long Dark and The Forest…

It’s partly killing time until The Evil Within turns up. It’s been a while since I’ve bought a game day one with the full expectation I am not going to like it as much as everyone else. If it is good I am confident all the reviews will be saying “At last, this is the survival horror game Resident Evil 6 should have been”. I am fairly certain I will disagree, and I want to be able to tell them why they’re all wrong, because Resi 6 was awesome.

• Ben Barrett says:

Lego Marvel Superheroes is the jazz. I played it through with a mate and we were in stitches every time Mr. Fantastic did anything.

• Eight Rooks says:

I am broadly in agreement with mister Walker’s WiT. You can definitely see the cracks in the formula and it’s not a good thing that TT seemingly don’t want to fix them, plus a couple of things like the flight controls are flat-out awful. But it’s just so lively, colourful and vivid and nails irreverent humour so well it’s still a blast to play, for man-children as much as kids. I grin like a nutter every damn time I freefall off the Shield helicarrier.

14. DrScuttles says:

Still got 2 DLCs for Dark Souls 2 to finish off (the first one had better level design than pretty much every other stage of the game, even if the aesthetics were quite bland), but I get far too easily distracted being shit at PVP to upgrade weapons that I decide aren’t worth it. I can spend hours doing that.
    The Chaos Engine is on sale for like a quid, but apparently it’s fundamentally flawed according to the Steam forums? Guess there’s always WinUAE, but faff.
    And ever since Pathologic got funded on Kickstarter, I’ve been meaning to dive back in to play as the Haruspicus. Quite a time commitment though. And requires a certain headspace.
    Wasteland 2 has been sitting installed, unplayed, unloved near the bottom of my Steam list. This needs amending but I can’t seem to find the motivation to begin.

But then I also have this strange and sudden desire to go buy a Rubik’s Cube.

• Ben Barrett says:

I’m very worried that by the time I get around to these Dark Souls 2 DLCs I’ll have both gotten totally out of the frame of mind required to beat my head against the brick wall of Souls and nobody else will be around to help me.

• Geebs says:

Fume Knight and the guy-who-is-like-Artorias-but-not are both hard to do with AI NPCs but pretty much everything else is doable without humans.

15. Awesomeclaw says:

I’m flying to India for a conference this weekend, so I’ll probably be playing Factorio on my laptop. Suggestions for other linux-supporting 2d games welcome!

• ElDopa says:

FTL and Papers Please run fine on Linux. Even on systems with older hardware.
      Super Hexagon will probably run fine as well.

Btw, Factorio looks quite nice :)

• Gap Gen says:

Unity of Command works pretty nicely on Linux.

I also remember SMAC working with Wine?

• sharks.don't.sleep says:

OpenTTD is available for Linux and an excellent game if you liked Transport Tycoon.

16. sendmark says:

Starpoint Gemini 2, determined to get the Tsar cruiser and clear the bounty board.

I’ll also watch the Guild Wars 2 tournament of glory and might drop in for some games, given there’s a huge boost for pvp stuff this weekend.

Elite Dangerous and finish my game on Endless Legend also on the list.

• Awesomeclaw says:

I kind of want to get back in to Guild Wars 2 as it’s the most fun I’ve had with an MMORPG. Not a big fan of the PvP side of things though (WvWvWv is a cool idea but I usually find that I die within about 10 seconds of any fight starting).

Also is Starpoint Gemini 2 any good? I’ve heard mixed things.

17. Dare_Wreck says:

I have been playing Legend of Grimrock, after it finally bubbled up to the top of my backlog list, but I think I’m finally done with it. I’m getting really bored by kiting enemies in combat, and now that I’ve gotten to the regenerating ice lizards in the 9th level, I think I’m finally throwing in the towel. I mostly enjoy the puzzles in the game, but I’m finding the combat is getting really tiresome really fast. It’s a shame that I’m about two thirds through, too.

18. varangian says:

Xcom: Enemy Unknown. I got to the final mission on this in Windows then lost the save files and moved onto other things. Then I saw it turn up as a Linux game so started playing there and got hooked again. Then found the Linux version inexplicably gets unplayable in later missions although graphically they’re much the same as the early ones. So gave up on that and (as the save games won’t transfer) started up again on Windows. Much alien ass still to be kicked in this run through. This w/e I shall avenge the tragic loss of Corporal Kylie Minogue in the last session I played.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Nooooo Kylieeeeee. Xcom is awesome, sucked away 200 hours of my life in what seemed like considerably less

19. Vacuity729 says:

Endless Legend. I bought into Early Access, but didn’t play it. I started a game earlier this week and found it near-impossible to walk away from. Finished it last night and just started a second game a little while ago.

Bluerps says:

Pretty much the same here, except that I didn’t buy the game until it was out of Early Access. It’s an amazing strategy game. I don’t think I enjoyed a hex-based game this much in years!

20. CookPassBabtridge says:

Flight sims – probably FSX and some DCS in the oculus, plus any good VR demos. May try a bit more of DK2 Alien Isolation but my ageing rig is struggling.

21. mpk says:

Alien Isolation.

Only played an hour so far and first impressions are that it’s Bioshock Xenomorph. I hope that changes*. My other first impression is that damn but they’ve nailed the look. I hope that that doesn’t change.

*Graffiti, and the use of graffiti in these games, really bothers me. Use those decals once and they can have an impact, but repeat them throughout the environment and they just disappear into the background.

• Ben Barrett says:

I’ve seen a few people chat about the wall graffiti in games. I think it was Christine Love saying on twitter how little sense it makes. I don’t have a negative reaction to it, but it has become something of a cliche recently. I liked it in Dead Space, but the entire plot there (spoilers I guess) was that people were losing their minds. Plus it just sort’ve fit in the incredibly violent world they’d built.

• mpk says:

If it was more contextual, then it would make sense – dick jokes and angry shop steward slogans in the non-public areas like the baggage area, perhaps safe zone directions upstairs. When they’re just added seemingly at random, and when it’s obviously copypasta, it stops being interesting or effective.

• Stellar Duck says:

I’m a bit further in and I think it moves away from the Bioshock With Aliens stuff. I’m enjoying it a lot but I really think the choice to do the graffiti was a dumb one. I mean, I just don’t think it makes a lot of sense to write ‘Fuck the Marshals!’ in the given situation, not because the Marshals aren’t a problem, but it seems a real strange use of your time in the context.

22. BreadBitten says:

Awaiting my shiny new Xbone controller later this week, so finally looking forward to launching Sleeping Dogs, Tomb Raider, and Spelunky for the first time in my Steam library. Also expect to play some more Titanfall, since giant-robot-on-giant-robot violence is an always-welcome distraction.

• Ben Barrett says:

Ooo, Xbone controller, I’ve been meaning to try one of them to see if it’s worth replacing my 360 pad.

• BreadBitten says:

I got to touch one (teehee) and it felt nice enough — weighty and prominent, but without any sense of heft. Just hope a wireless dongle comes along soon enough.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

I tried a little VR demo and it gave you a pair of virtual hands holding an xbox controller. I was controlling it… with an xbox controller. When I took the headset off and saw it ‘still’ un my hands, my brain did a weird flip. WHERE WAS THE LINE BETWEEN VIRTUAL AND REAL I ASKED MYSELF. For 2 seconds admittedly, but still. Creepy :)

• UpsilonCrux says:

I had read that the bone-troller was a kinda rubber bands and sticky tape situation on PC, and that it was emulating a 360 controller – is this true?

I’m going to need to get a new controller pretty soon, so can I ask;

What’s great about it? Does it have pressure sensitive face buttons? Does it come bundled with a battery pack and charge cable, or do you still have to buy those separately?
      Why is it better?

• BreadBitten says:

MSoft released the official drivers for Windows machines sometime ago, though you kind of have to download them manually since they haven’t been made available through Windows Update yet.

The device just “feels” good in my hands, the buttons have just the right amount of depression and the analog sticks have just the right amount of friction with the thumbs. I didn’t get to experience the whole “rumble triggers” thing though, but I doubt if many future PC games will be making use of that feature.

You can buy the standalone controller or the “play and charge kit” that bundles in a USB cable and an extra battery pack. I opted for the vanilla controller and a third-party USB cable that’s significantly longer than what is provided in the bundle.

• UpsilonCrux says:

Cheers bud.
          I do like the look of it, but had been put off by earlier reports, glad to hear they’ve sorted the drivers.
          “Sorted”, in a MS kinda way :D

• barelyhomosapien says:

The xbone controller is a big step up in general feel from the 360 in my humble opinion.

My wife got me the nice looking titanfall one as a first anniversary gift! Not that I even own titanfall, just like the design on the controller :P

Nice that there are dedicated drivers now. Just be aware you need a micro usb to usb cable going spare to plug it in!

• Vandelay says:

I’ve decided to continue my opposition to Microsoft forcing there controller on me and I’m going to get a PS4 controller at some point. All reports indicate that they are very easy to get working on PC and they are the best controller in the market at the moment.

The shift from games working flawless with any controller to the majority only supporting the Xbox 360 pad annoys me so much that I really can’t bring myself to buy one. Plus, I’ve never been that impressed when I have played with a 360 pad. The sticks in particular just feel wrong.

• KenTWOu says:

The majority supports Xbox 360 compatible pads.

• fish99 says:

That’s his point, that more and more games support the 360 pad and others that emulate it (often only through 3rd party hacks), while leaving out DirectInput support for generic pads. It’s almost like windows now has an ‘official’ gamepad.

23. Biblefruit says:

Continuing to trudge through King’s Bounty: Dark Side. Even though the series has been relentlessly milked, is buggy and has next to no English support, I still find it to offer some of the most fun and creative tactical RPG combat out there. And the music never gets old.

24. Zenicetus says:

Elite: Dangerous mostly, still trying to get back into my Cobra after the last Beta wipe. Maybe a little Endless Legend for a change of pace. I had put it away for a while, and haven’t seen how it turned out at final release. I need to make another stab at Divinity:OS too, I stalled out about a third of a way into it, and haven’t decided whether to restart from scratch or pick it up from the stall point. Too many games, not enough time… especially with the time needed in Elite to get enough credits for the new equipment they’ve added.

There are new games I’d like to try, like Shadow of Mordor and Wasteland 2 (not Alien Isolation, for some reason). But at the slow rate I’m moving through things I already have, I’ll probably wait to see what shows up in the Holiday sales.

• Ben Barrett says:

I would really recommend getting to Shadow of Mordor when you can. I finished it up during the week, hence it not being what I’m on this weekend, but it might be my game of the year.

• welverin says:

Same here with SoM, not sure about GotY yet, but it could well end up there.

I’m going to try to finish DMC this weekend, I’m close to the end and should free up some hard drive space before the last couple of games I’m getting this year come out.

Also have my D&D game tonight.

25. SophiaButler says:

The planetside 2 server smash event on sunday includez Rock Planet Shotgun, which I’ll bee playing in.

Saturday Caturday iz for yet more practise ^_^

26. Thirith says:

I’m hoping to finish Divinity: Original Sin. I’ve enjoyed the game well enough, but I was disappointed by its dodgy writing, boring characters and inconsistent, uninteresting world. Right now I’m in Phantom Forest, hoping that the game’s soon over, because it’s not getting any better and the stuff that’s good has mostly run its course.

Also, I’m hoping to get on with the Total Conversion of Red Hammer for Arma 2, using the Cold War Rearmed 2 mod. Operation Flashpointy goodness!

• Zenicetus says:

That happened to me too, with Divinity:OS. I stalled out partway through and haven’t mustered the energy to try and finish it yet. The most interesting thing for me was the tactical puzzles aspect of elemental magic, but that wasn’t enough to overcome bland writing. It was a story and a party of characters I had trouble caring about. Maybe I’ll get back to it eventually.

• malkav11 says:

I thought the writing was pretty great, at least in the early part that’s all I’ve been able to play (as I am strictly playing in coop and my coop partner recently moved cross country to live with his girlfriend and between move and getting settled with girlfriend & her kids and looking for a new job, etc, he’s been basically unavailable). What it doesn’t do is tell a particularly compelling story. I’m not really certain it’s even trying to. But there’s a lot of humor and fun vignettes, which somewhat makes up for that, for me. And of course the combat is brilliant.

27. Geebs says:

I’m playing “Emigration” and its add-in DLCs “Red Tape” and “Invasion of Privacy”. It’s a game for one player but you can invite others to join once you set up a base and level up Bureaucracy.

28. raskolnikov.mx says:

Shadow of Mordor and, perhaps, Door Kickers :)

29. karric says:

Warframe currently has a hold on me. I am working on getting a new frame so I can retire my excalibur.

30. Kefren says:

Just finished Witcher 2 (less grindy than Witcher 1) and Trauma (the photos/dream Myst-like, doesn’t take long to complete). Tried Starseed Pilgrim (nice but couldn’t get off the first level) and Super Meat Boy (couldn’t get into it). Now replaying Bioshock.

31. tonka_92 says:

I wish to play some more assassin’s creed iv or metal gear rising or endless legend, but I’ll probably end up spending more time playing Europa universalis iv again…

• Ben Barrett says:

There’s an expansion for this coming out or has come out or was just announced or something, right? I was gonna write about it but then realised I understand less than 50% of what was said in the trailer/dev diary for it.

• tonka_92 says:

yeah Art of War is coming soon, and it changes a lot
        really increases the detail in the non-European parts of the world map
        but the bigger changes are things like an army/navy builder, being able to create vassal countries almost wherever in places where cores don’t already exist, being able to set goals for your AI Allies, being able to declare war on behalf of your subjects
        they’ve completely overhauled the way revolts are handled

and the all important inclusion of river crossing indicators and province warscore cost indicators
        of course not all of these things will be Art of War exclusive, but good prospects ahead

32. derbefrier says:

Bought Styx: Master of Shadows last night. Stick it on Goblin difficulty and turn off the quest markers and it plays like a 3rd person thief game. I am enjoying the hell out of it so far.

I may mess around with Destiny if I can get some friends to play with me. Sadly its a game that’s pretty boring playing by yourself. Game could really use more some more content too.

Space Engineers is having a free weekend. I will be checking that out at some point.

33. fish99 says:

I’d like to play some Shadows of Mordor or Alien Isolation, but I suspect I’ll actually just play more Skyrim. I’m about 160 hrs into a no-fast-travel (inc no carriages) playthrough, doing a heavy melee build, and loving it as much as the first time (first playthrough was a mage-archer build).

34. Anthile says:

I finished Steamworld Dig earlier (short game) and started up Enslaved: Odyssey to the West. There’s probably some Alien: Isolation tomorrow too – it’s no daylight game.

35. Fontan says:

I’ll continue my campaign in Shadowrun: Dragonfall. Enjoying the game a lot, it’s been a while since I enjoyed an RPG like this. Even though the story is a bit cliché (big dragon wot destroys everything), I think the Shadowrun setting makes it different enough for me to enjoy it, specially considering the writing has been pleasant so far. And I don’t really have anything against cliché RPG stories.

• karthink says:

Dragonfall’s story isn’t cliche. For one, there actually isn’t a dragon in the game.

The structure is typical narrative-RPG, though. It’s cast in the Bioware/Baldur’s Gate 2 mold, with Mass Effect 2 style loyalty missions added in if you’re playing the Director’s Cut. It’s competent and full of flavour; excellent to dive into on a free weekend.

36. LionsPhil says:

Finally played and completed Defence Grid’s “You Monster” campaign.

37. TehK says:

Wasteland, Wasteland, Wasteland, Wasteland
    *ahem*
    Sorry…

38. Csirke says:

I’m replaying Gothic at the moment, which is an old but great open world RPG. I don’t see it mentioned much around here, but I think of it as a classic.

If anyone else is planning on giving it a go, for modern systems I recommend using the so called SystemPack which is a pretty recent unofficial patch, that took care of all my crash/resolution/FoV problems.

The story and writing are nothing exceptional, but the way the story and the game systems interact is great. For example, you normally don’t kill other people, you just beat them up, optionally steal their stuff, and from then on they’ll leave you alone. But you do have the option to kill them, it’s just that everyone will hate you for going around murdering people. It’s really interesting :)

• Rise / Run says:

Oh Gothic I and II (with NoTR) are definitely up in my top 5 cRPGs. I just love the world-building. There’s such a huge density of stuff to explore. The sidequest that begins and ends in the dungeon after a lot of map-based riddles is also rad.

39. SpacemanSpliff says:

Probably keep going with my Skyrim playthough. I spent years modding and patching and tweaking and testing, but I never took a playthrough past level 35. Now I’m about to crack lvl 40 and am enjoying myself to no end.
    I also have Xcom:EW and Rome 2 campaigns that are both getting serious enough for me to be considering and contemplating as I go through the more serious parts of my day.
    I know Rome 2 disappointed a lot of you but the (finished?) version I find quite impressive and polished, although I never experienced most of the issues people complained about so I may be less than objective.

40. Synesthesia says:

Well, i might get crucified for saying this, but I suddenly remembered i had a ps3, so i think I might run a bit through GTAV, and maybe start a new snake eater run, i just bought the HD edition.

Other than that, maybe some DCS, and some ARMA3 with FOLK on sunday.

41. Elderwand says:

FTL in the car
    I jury rigged a complicated system involving a book, a coin pouch and duct tape to hold my tablet, mousepad and keyboard. gonna have soo much fun being lasered in half!

42. Strangely Brown says:

The plan is to get some work done on my replay of Dragon Age 2, decided to replay that and Origins to prep for Inquisition. It’s not all that appealing to me right now though… I’m not one of the DA2 haters, I’m just not in the mood.

Instead I’ve been playing a bit of Spintires – fascinating game, that… I “finished” it and grew kinda bored of it soon after release, but I frequently get an itch to fire it up and go do stuff. Due to overconfidence I managed to roll or sink my beloved Ural six times during my last delivery, requiring some pretty hairy rescue operations. I’d call it epic fail, except I was having a blast.

Might fire up Kerbal Space Program as well to try out 0.25 (though I’d rather wait for 0.25.1), maybe fly another SSTO plane to Laythe.

• Creeping Death says:

I recently tried to redo Dragon Age 1 and 2 with my original choices to prepare for Inquisition. Unfortunately playing that game and making the exact same choices as my original playthrough isn’t overly compelling. Then I got into testing for Dragon Age Keep and realised I can just make it do all my work for me.

• Strangely Brown says:

Not a tester, but from what I hear of the Keep its basically good enough to completely obviate playing the first games, so I hear what you’re saying.
        Still, I want to refresh my memory the old-fashioned way, and Snarky!Hawke is pretty entertaining. :)

43. Creeping Death says:

I’ve been on a bit of a “complete games that have been sitting in my Steam list for a few years” kick recently. Just finished off Guacamelee, now considering between Walking Dead season 2, Mars War Logs, or maybe try to make a start on A Machine for Pigs in time for Halloween.

Also picked up Wargame: AirLand Battle in the sale, so if Steam ever decides to try and download something a bit faster than dial-up speed I might try some of that.

44. gregor_ says:

With everybody talking about Shadow of Mordor (and there being no Mac-version) I’m trying to get back into and finish Arkham City.

Oh, playing a bit of CK2 in anticipation of Charlemagne.

45. sith1144 says:

going to play some twilight imperium sunday, hopefully will be able to play some war thunder today but quite a bit of work to do :/

46. Stellar Duck says:

I’ll be playing some more Alien: Isolation as it’s a good game and Sunday I suspect I’ll do some Civil War reinactment in Scourge of War: Gettysburg. Probably my most played game of 2014. So brilliant.

I keep wanting to play Elite Dangerous but I keep bouncing off it for some reason I can’t quite figure out. Might partially be the abysmal interface in the cock pit. It baffles me how bad that is at relaying important information compared to an A-10 as an example.

And speaking of the Hawg, I really should get back in the A-10 cockpit. It’s been a week since I last clocked any hours on that and I really should keep my skills up.

• Zenicetus says:

The Elite cockpit UI is a little strange, especially if you’re used to something like DCS A-10.The HUD targeting reticle doesn’t have as much info as it should, and the heat-based sensor display takes some getting used to. Some info is buried on the side holographic menus that should be more exposed in the main view. The more time you spend with it, the easier it gets.

Are you using TrackIr or the Rift? There are some nice UI shortcuts there for opening the left and right side holo menus just by looking at them.

• Stellar Duck says:

Using Freetrack, so kinda like TrackIR.

And yea, it certainly helps a lot! I still think it’s weirdly designed though. :)

47. grundus says:

Hexcells. I just got the Perfectionist achievement for Infinite, I never finished Plus though so I might go back. And I also didn’t perfect the first one, either.

particlese says:

Yes, Hexcells it is for me, too. Upon seeing the suspiciously small level 5-5 of Infinite, though, I promptly quit since I was also having an excellent conversation about videogames. I will beat it tonight, though. I must. The people of the world are depending on me.

I may also play some more Portal 2 to scratch a nostalgia itch that popped up last week, but Hexcells is definitely on the menu.

Edit: World saved! That one actually wasn’t that bad once I took an undistracted look at it…

48. Continuity says:

Some Rise of flight, damn fine flight sim and the monetisation model isn’t as bad as it first seems. Also some swtor, i casually dip in and out of it. I might pop into elite dangerous but tbh more likely to visit the forums than play the beta at the moment.

49. MadTinkerer says:

I am going to be playing Disgaea 3 on Playstation 3 and some old Half Life 2 mods I missed. And maybe some Skyrim. But mostly I will be playing a game jam game that I am in the process of making for an upcoming game jam because I won’t have the time to work on it during the week of the jam.

50. Wulfram says:

I’m weirdly fixated on the Galactic Starfighter bit of SWtOR at the moment.. Not sure why, but it’s the only 3D fighter type thing that’s ever clicked for me.

And probably some Sims (3) and other stuff. Riptide 2 on my Tablet.