New Evil Within Trailer Contains Messy Ways To Die

I want to die doing what I loved: being pulled by ephemeral blood-soaked hands into the solid floor of some hell-set asylum. The Evil Within let’s me simulate and prepare for this occasion ahead of time, plus many other less desirable demises. There’s a new trailer below – there’s been about a thousand of them now – ahead of the October 14th crikey-that’s-Tuesday release.

I’m not normally a huge fan of survival horror, but I have enough affection for Resident Evil to be interested in Mikami’s spiritual successor of sorts, and the chunk I played at Gamescom gave me hope. It was exactly as you’d expect: a spooky house, some environment puzzles, and trial-and-error progression through deadly jump scares and quicktime events. For what it lacks in originality, it makes up for in execution. There’s a pleasing rhythm to the process of learning and overcoming obstacles in these games, and it has a similar precision in its world and enemy design to the beloved Resident Evil IV.

I’m a fan of Adam’s take on the game as more action-packed gore-fest than pure survival horror, going all out on the inescapable hell angle. He’ll be giving final judgement some time next week.

1. SomeDuder says:

Looks like Good Stuff®. 2spooky4me though, Resident Evil is about as much as I can handle.

2. Enzo says:

Gonna play the shit out of this. It looks like Resident Evil 4 and Dead Space. It’s been a while since the last action horror survival game came out.

• nojan says:

umm…alien isolation?

• Enzo says:

I said “ACTION survival horror”. Alien Isolation is pure survival horror. I mean stuff like RE4/5, Dead Space 1/2/3.

3. GameCat says:

I haven’t watched almost any of previous trailers and gameplays, but I’ve watched this and it looks like strange mixture of Resident Evil 4 (shooting system), Manhunt (stealth system + smacking badguys in face with glass bootles) and Silent Hill (town with collapsed roads, general weirdness).

Shame it will be probably too demanding for my old crappy laptop.

4. Eight Rooks says:

On the one hand I have actually paid real monies for this because I want the contrarian pleasures of telling The Internet it’s not as good as Resident Evil 6. Which I love. I’m not ashamed. I honestly think it’s the best in the series.

On the other hand each of these trailers is actually getting me genuinely hopeful TEW will be pretty good in its own right – not just because gore and ‘splosions, though there’s nothing necessarily wrong with that, but… I dunno, there’s something about the giallo headtrip schtick it seems to be using (“Can you live with yourself, knowing what I’m going to make you do?”) that makes me think it might be rewarding for more than just YouTube scream videos. Could well be as laughable as Resi’s storytelling, mind (even 6). But I’m feeling oddly optimistic.

(Also is it just me who wants to hear this voiceover guy narrate something totally non-horrific in the same deadpan 1970s grindhouse style?)

• subedii says:

Alright I’ll bite, since I’m often one to like games the critical games press has told me are rubbish (Hello Alpha Protocol):

What makes RE6 good?

• Eight Rooks says:

Okay, serious rant here:

Don’t get me wrong; Resi 6 is wildly overstuffed and a blatant attempt to court every dudebro with a console or gaming PC. But I think it does it with far, far more style and intelligence than most people give it credit for. I also think that many of the cornerstones of the old-school Resi experience are archaic design decisions that were technical compromises more than they were awesome things to do with a videogame, and people view them with rose-tinted glasses – tank controls were and always will be rubbish next to proper 3PS controls (why is it scary to stick lead weights on my feet for no real reason?), and defending arbitrary, ridiculously obtuse puzzles in the middle of action or exploration puts you on very shaky ground (my memories of earlier Resi games don’t include how awesome it was to complete the puzzles, let’s put it that way). I also think a lot of the praise for Resi 4 – as the supposed jewel of the series – wildly overstates the impact of the iconic sequences (I can’t imagine who the hell actually played the opening sequence and thought “Oh, my, God those policemen have been murdered!11!1!”) – and glosses over the silly, videogame-y flaws.

Resi 6 is largely action, but the action’s terrific, much better than any other Resi game and arguably more engaging than a great many other 3PS titles. It’s nothing wildly original, it’s using tricks previous Resi games have already tried and it can seem a little clunky – movement has a fair bit of weight and stiffness to it – but it’s fluid enough when you get used to it, and the depth to the combat (positioning, targeting body parts, the things enemies can mutate into, the brilliant melee system, auto-targeted super-shots, the Gears of War bleedout system, noting where your partner is etc.) meant I was actually looking forward to firefights pretty much all the time. It’s rarely scary, exactly, but it’s frequently deeply unsettling – the enemy designs are excellent, far better than the other titles (Revelations’ slapdash, lumpy freaks look especially pathetic in comparison). The rank and file grunts may be just dudes in masks before they mutate, but I’d still argue they were really well done – frantic hand-to-hand combat in dingy backstreet urban China against babbling, machete-wielding psychopaths was tremendously atmospheric. And it’s got the best unkillable enemy in any survival horror game I’ve played.

And while the story’s still the usual nonsense, essentially, it’s got the best writing, voice acting and character development in the series by miles. I realise that may not be as important to some people, but seriously, if you prefer any other Resi game’s narrative I simply don’t know what to say. They don’t have anything to offer beyond godawful Z-list quips, painfully rudimentary scripting and mostly dire voiceovers – whereas Capcom, if you’re listening, I would pay full price, day one, for a spinoff starring Jake Wesker and Sherry Birkin, if it was written as well as Resi 6. I can’t be the only one. Troy Baker sells the whole “Oh God, my father wanted to destroy the world” plot like a pro – I couldn’t believe I was getting banter like this and actual character growth and maturity, of sorts (it is still a dumb action movie, admittedly), out of a Resi game. Christ, it even turned Chris – Bulging McForearms – into something approaching a human being, even if his campaign did jump headfirst into melodramatic silliness.

I could go on – didn’t even mention how it’s surprisingly respectful of its female characters, for one, even when several of them frequently get shown naked and covered in slime – but…

tl;dr – my love for it does partly hinge on not liking Resident Evil as much as everyone else does, and 6 is guilty of a lot of the things people say about it. But I still like the other Resident Evil games; I honestly think you can make a very strong argument people seriously over-rate them through misplaced nostalgia, and I think not only does Resi 6 do the popcorn action movie thing really, really well, I think that in doing so it improves on a lot of the things about the series which people aren’t willing to admit might be flaws.

• subedii says:

It’s not misplaced nostalgia. People just like the feel of the gameplay mechanics that you dislike. Things like bad voice acting and story I agree with.

Personally I still hold 2 and 4 as the highlights of the series (they work for different reasons though), but I wouldn’t mind giving this a try if its on sale (seems likely come 31 October).

• R0bb0b says:

People liked the tank controls because it added to the anxiety of the game. I do agree that they are not necessary to create an equally horrific experience and it is quite possible that they are a result of a lack of technology at that time, but they did serve a purpose.

My highlights of the series are also 2 and 4 but I loved 5 for its co-op play. If 6 was anything like 5 I would have played the hell out of it but it seems they felt the need to double down on the things that were annoying in 5.

For example, QTEs. People have been complaining about QTEs since their inception and a lot of people hated 5 because of them. So the obvious response is to double down on them? The same goes for zombies with guns. I couldn’t stand anymore of 6 after fighting zombies with assault rifles and had to quit.

I think the bottom line is that RE has lost its identity and is struggling to find it. The problem is that there is not enough room in the COD market so they need to find something else, which they did with 5. What they should do is look back at what they did well and go with that instead of continuously testing the market. I would have no problem if RE abandoned survival horror and went with the amazing co-op experience that they had established. There are plenty of people that loved and are still playing 5.

Honestly re6 gives me a picture of multiple developers all having theories about the direction of the game, so rather than making a decision they just took everyone’s ideas and crammed them all. It’s a tossed salad and from what I can tell, most people liked a portion of the gameplay/storage menus/QTEs/zombies with assault rifles/multiple campaigns/coverage system etc… and nobody is going to continuously play a game if they only like about 20% of it.

• GameCat says:

RE6 is a game with great mechanics that suffer with COD-like-campaign diesease.

Just watch this from around 2 minutes: link to youtu.be

• Eight Rooks says:

I’ve barely even touched Mercenaries. I’d still defend the campaign to the death, I think you’re wrong, it’s nothing like CoD etc., etc., but jeez, thank you for linking that – I was wondering how to do better at it.

• PandaPants says:

Not really contributing but just glad to see a fellow fan of Alpha Protocol. I adored the game and have never met anyone else who felt the same.

• subedii says:

It was an awesome game. Really, the chief complaint I always ever saw about it was that the main character couldn’t “do” anything (like aim like an eagle) until he’d been “trained” to, or things like your stealth skill making you ‘disappear’. But frankly, that was all just RPG abstraction. I was fine enough with stuff like that happening older RPG’s, I think part of the problem was simply that people expected it to play like a straight 3rd person shooter from the outset.

As an experiment, the game really did a good job of reacting to player actions and incorporating them into the characters, situations and dialogue, even if the “overall” plot is going to flow one way (Moscow, Rome, Taipei), but making the choices you do and the allies and enemies you choose to really does change the feel of how the character Michael Thorton plays out. Few games actually give you the choice to willingly join the bad guys at the end. Or even more devious, pretend to and then double-cross them to come out on top of everyone. In things like that, it’s so far beyond typically lauded poster-boy “Mass Effect” (not to denigrate that game by any means) that you can only see the outline.

• PandaPants says:

Agree with everything you say, I wrote a review on it back in 2012 or so basically outlining the pro-points you mention.

So many people had the knee-jerk reaction due to the RPG ‘behind the scenes’ not corresponding to the third person gunplay etc but as you say, from a plot/development stand point it was well executed.

I’m still stunned we’ve not seen another attempt at the same sort of setting since. It did so much right.

• subedii says:

Richard Cobbet (I’m not sure I’ve seen a writer whose views and experience gel with my own to date. Seriously I didn’t think anyone else had even HEARD of old CGA game Flightmare) wrote a retrospective on that topic as well:

link to eurogamer.net

• Eight Rooks says:

Met in real life, I’m guessing? It has quite a few supporters on RPS. I liked it a lot – arguably broken and unrealised in many respects but still a really fun game.

• PandaPants says:

Correct :)

Glad to see it has people who appreciate it here.

5. gruia says:

I love it. Hate the survival, goes out of your way to scare you crap. This makes all this shit come secondary, as a consequence, not THE MAIN POINT.
    Looks very smart. Will play

6. quintesse says:

Looks nice, wouldn’t mind playing it, but it will probably use consoley save points instead of being able to properly save your game and I just hate having to replay parts I’ve already passed. If I forget to save and have to replay, well I have only myself to blame, but if the developers decide I can’t save entire stretches of the game I can only curse them. And with a game like this there’s going to be lots of those moments ;)

7. PandaPants says:

The shift in what to expect from this game in a gameplay/tone sense has changed so much for me since its reveal.

In saying that, it’s still looking to be a good ride. Look forward to that ‘Mikami’ experience.

8. DanMan says:

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

Beware: Japanese developer.

Please leave your technical expectations at the door.

Thank you for your compliance.

• Kamestos says:

Just keep Durante on high alert in case emergency modding is needed.

9. Gog Magog says:

So it’s the Resident Evil 4 to the initially expected Silenthill-’em-up. That’s fine.

Having watched Super Best Friends’s’ Resident Evil 4 let’s play, I can say confidently I find it mind-numbing. The closest thing I ever played was the original Dead Space and I gave up at the point where they introduce the twitchy zombies out of sheer boredom. I felt none of the tension, not from combat, not from resource management. It was just a slog.

That’s fine. Each to their own. But obviously anybody who enjoys games like these is morally, ethically, spiritually and tectonically wrong.

10. SMGreer says:

With the game not having being released yet this might be an unfair criticism and truthfully it’s more of a subjective one than an outright objective point, especially since it no longer looks to be the games primary setting BUT I am getting real sick and tired of asylum set stories. Implying we should either be afraid of the patients themselves or the doctors/nurses trying to help the mentally ill, by depicting them all as crazy monsters or disturbed psychopaths. It’s been a recurring theme in cinema but it’s been quite notable in games for a while now. Which means it’s not just a little offensive but also quite generic at this point.

I am aware that there’s a precedent for asylum set horror, I do. Historically they were not pleasant places to find yourself in. However that is history and now, they are exactly the kind of place where you might go to get real, important help. Feeding the stigma around mental illness is becoming an uncomfortable go-to for videogames of late and it’s really frustrating.

Perhaps I’m just being hyper sensitive to the issue but I’d really like to see games pick on a relevant or worthy target for its horror settings.

• WitchTrials says:

I agree, asylums have been done to death. It doesnt so much offend me as it just bores me. I’m thinking in a horror lover mind set though. Of course it miss represents the mentally ill, who are normally very humble (the ones I’ve met). But from a fictional perspective, I just see it as “this is one of those ‘bad apple’ asylums that no one wants to talk about”. In other words, my suspension of disbelief helps me not think about the unethical side of things, but I do wish we could lay off the asylums for a while. Prisons are not used enough. The suffering 1 & 2 remains my 2 of my favorite survival horror games.

• SMGreer says:

The Suffering 1 & 2 were both really good horror games that felt short of greatness for me, owing to an emphasis on action. However the atmosphere and world were top notch, turning what is already an uncomfortable and troubling place into a raw manifestation of all its ills. The second game’s use of urban myths and such to craft disturbing monsters was pretty fantastic too.

For me, I’m a big lover of sci-fi horror and stuff so my preferences are usually for more outlandish locations. That said, when it comes to real world settings, I’d prefer to see more unconventional settings. Factories, office blocks, the houses of parliament etc. turn the familiar inside out. It’s cheap and easy to make an asylum creepy (especially if you use one of those long gone Victorian ones) since a fair portion of people haven’t set foot in them. Turning a place where most people work or live into something haunting and disturbing? That’s where the good stuff is if you ask me. It also forces you to come up with interesting reasons for WHY something went so terribly wrong in them.

• Xzi says:

“Perhaps I’m just being hyper sensitive”

Indeed. All you’ll receive is push back if you intend to take political correctness to the point of telling developers and other artists what settings they can or cannot have for their material. Beside the obvious point of this being fiction and everybody with half a brain clearly understanding that it’s fiction, the setting rarely has much bearing on whether or not the game itself manages to be high quality.

Your other point on asylums being overused is probably a more valid platform that you’ll receive more support on. Everybody gets tired of seeing the same imagery too often. Same reason I want to kill zombies. As a theme.

• SMGreer says:

Well I’d absolutely try to avoid acting as censor, or dictate what artists can and cannot depict however they choose even if I disagree. I’d just like a bit more thought and reasoning to go into why they choose settings such as asylums. Is it just playing on old fears and stigmas? Most of the time I’ve felt so, with the setting being little more than cheap window dressing for your typical nasty monster horror fest. If a game used horror in a more sophisticated way, as a means to explore mental illness and used an asylum with purpose then that would be a much more interesting game.

Anyway it’s maybe not strictly relevant where The Evil Within is concerned but it’s just a thought I felt was worthwhile considering.

11. -Alligator- says:

Beware of crappy PC port though.

• PandaPants says:

Hopefully with it being Bethesda who are publishing it won’t suffer ‘quite’ the same shitty port nonsense that all these Japanese games seem to have.

• -Alligator- says:

Actually it will. We already know that the game is locked at 30 fps, has 2.35:1 aspect ratio and the hw requirements are ridiculously high.

Edit: Now I’m curious how will the game work with mouse and keyboard.

• PandaPants says:

At least we know to expect it then. *sigh*

I imagine some improvements can be made, still beginning to get more and more frustrating though.

• -Alligator- says:

The devs said you can unlock the framerate to 60 with a command line option, but I think that will probably result in glitches in the animation or physics.

• Xzi says:

Well this answers my question further down the page. Huzzah for crappy ports! Gotta sell those XBOs and PS4s sitting on warehouse shelves, after all.

12. Golden Pantaloons says:

Hello Resident Evil tank controls…

A note to all developers: Making your camera and character controls the most horrifying enemy in the game is not the way to make a good horror game.

13. Xzi says:

Question being: why the hell are the system requirements so ridiculous? Are they even sure they got them right? Shadow of Mordor is just as “next-gen,” but you don’t see it telling you that you must have an i7 to play it.

• -Alligator- says:

For the same reason why they don’t support 60 FPS or 16:9 resolutions. It’s a lazy port.

• fish99 says:

Consoles are 16:9 too, so it’s most likely an aesthetic choice to look more ‘cinematic’.

• -Alligator- says:

No, they just want to render as little as possible so the game can run on old console hardware.

• fish99 says:

That’s another possibility, although the game is also coming to next gen. Really it could be either of those reasons.

14. Buuurr says:

Gonna wait for the reviews… looks like it could go either way.

15. racccoon says:

I love the idea of the video.
    What I DON’T GET IS… we have WIDE SCREEN T.V’s!!
    why the fuck are we not watching n playing in FULL SCREEN VIEW?
    What the fuck! now we got to go out & buy a fucking WIDER SCREEN to T.V. to see this in FULL SCREEN! fucking shit fucking what the heck is this crap they are doing to us. it friggin sucks! & that’s not swearing.