Have You Played… Eve Online?

There are MMOs, and there’s Eve Online. There are space games, and there is the space game which is a thriving, living universe populated by thousands of players and brought to life by their very real industry, political machination, and endless conflict. It might be the best online game ever made, but don’t tell anyone I told you that.

Long ago I wrote a news article about a game with the most fantastically beautiful spaceships. I pined over it, wonder what it meant. The editor I was working under at the time told me the game would never come out. I went on to spend five years in the heart of this beast, and I regard not simply as one of the finest games I have played, but also as one of the defining experiences of my life. It changed me.

Eve Online is a single galaxy. One actual place, where events are permanent and real like in no other game. The scale of the ambition that made it happen was breathtaking, the realisation of that seems impossible. Trade, fight, explore, build, but never think you can avoid the intrigue and the political conflict that regular tears this galaxy apart. It is fascinating on almost every level, from the scale of it down to the meticulous ship-configuration possibilities. It’s a game in which you can lose yourself. Indeed, it’s a game in which you must lose yourself, if you are really to get the most out of it.

It’s such a ludicrous, lumbering enormity of the game that I can’t actually recommend it. I can only say that it is a singularity, and to miss out on it means missing out on one of the great PC games. Or perhaps one of the great PC events. When Eve is done, the world will be a dimmer place.

Just remember that you’ll need friends. Because you will have enemies.

1. Midnite says:

“I regard not simply as one of the finest games I have played, but also as one of the defining experiences of my life. It changed me.”

Same. Stopped playing for a while and 100+ different games later, I’m back to ship spinning.

2. Distec says:

The upcoming Phoebe patch – despite some major controversial changes that affect the largest groups of players – has lot of cool touches in it that are causing me to consider reactivating a few accounts. Simplified research, skill queues that can be set to infinite, and the ability to sell multiple items at once are QoL changes that wouldn’t catch my notice in other games. But I end up squee’ing over these things in Eve.

It also looks like one of my enjoyed pastimes, Exploration, is getting an appropriate buff to its income. Stealthily hauling billions worth of loot from a daytrip while slipping past enemies was an experience quite unlike anything else I’ve had in game.

They are also lifting a number of restrictions on trial accounts, allowing you to start skilling into a few more larger-classed ships and partake in Incursions and Faction Warfare. That lets new players get into the action a little more easily, even though the game itself is still largely hostile to newbies. :)

• mekamoari says:

“the ability to sell multiple items at once ”

Is..is this real life? I haven’t played EVE in years and still went “holy shit”

3. geldonyetich says:

I’ve launched and done things in EVE Online, but I’m not sure if this qualifies as playing a game much more than most forms of spreadsheet manipulation.

• Mctittles says:

I’ve never understood this negative comparison to spreadsheets. Any game with stats, from other MMO’s to RTS, to single player RPG games could be a “spreadsheet game” if you are into making the best builds possible or utilizing the best strategy.
      Like other games Eve online does not require this. I’ve done tons in eve, from managing space station ownership with a small team in 0.0 to engaging in fleet wars in concord space and not once have I had to open up a spreadsheet. Maybe my ship builds aren’t the exact numbers they could be, but it’s a lot of fun!

• Reefpirate says:

I think it mostly comes from the only requirement for succeeding in EVE combat is looking at and properly managing your overview which looks a lot like a spreadsheet. You don’t even need the 3D graphical representation of the battles, you just click on entries in the spreadsheet.

This could be true for other games, like you say, but EVE seems to embrace the ‘spreadsheet’ more than others.

• jellydonut says:

Luckily, the developers are working on ways to replace the overview with more attractive UI elements. Not because I don’t like the overview, but because I’m really sick of the spreadsheet joke.

• Captchist says:

It’s because you cannot control your ship movements beyond being able to direct it to fy towards elements in a list. If you could manually control your ship with forward/backward, turn commands, the spreadsheet analogy would disappear.

• jellydonut says:

You do realize you can manually pilot the ship by double-clicking in space, right? It is a must when engaging in small-scale (1-3 ships) combat.

No, there’s no WASD movement like in a fighter game, but that’s because it’s an MMO that works at 1Hz server updates, not 30 or 60Hz. It would be impossible to run a game of this scale like that.

• Kamalen says:

Directly moving ship may be fun for fast frigates, but what about industrial pilots, capital ship pilots ? They have the big space truck, and that’s probable way less fun to move.

Plus, it will probably kill the massive server thing with more netcode.

And, to be honest, it won’t be done because it will kill multi-boxing too. Too many ppl with alt accounts in the game in my opinion.

4. lordcooper says:

If any of you fine people currently playing or thinking of giving Eve a try happen to be redditors then please feel free to check out Wormbro and drop Arlen Tektolnes a message ingame if you have any questions. We’re a wormhole corporation that focuses heavily on teaching newbies the ropes and as such we have no skillpoint requirements or any of that malarkey. We’ll get you involved in high end PvE and low end but fun PvP ASAP :)

5. Ergonomic Cat says:

I’ve tried to play EVE a number of times, and never succeeded in more than a couple weeks. But I’m extremely happy that the game exists, and love reading about things that happen, and people’s experiences.

• longlivelee says:

I totally agree with you.

• Maxheadroom says:

Me too

Tried numerous times but just keep bouncing off it. For lack of a better word I think it’s just too ‘mean’ for my tastes. Literally everyone is out to wreck your shit and steal your stuff. And i find that hyper-competitiveness draining.

But again, i’m glad it exists and the stories that come out of it. I think i just have to reluctantly conceded that its not for me.

6. mpk says:

Hi, my name’s M and I’m a recovering EVE addict.

Since I stopped playing EVE I have found some things have changed in my life: other games are never exciting enough; other MMOs are dead, dull, uninteresting (Perpetuum aside, I’ve never played another that has tried to mimic EVE); and any time I write the word ‘eve’ I automatically capitalise it to EVE, before having to correct;

I miss my main – both of them. They weren’t really game characters, but extensions of myself. If there is a Matrix, it’s EVE. If the novel had been written in the last few years, this would be Ender’s Game. Never mind that – when they come looking for the last starfighter, they’ll probably choose an inty pilot.

That EVE hasn’t had more of an influence on the gaming sphere both pleases and upsets me. Upsets me, because it’s a truly living, breathing, player-driven universe full of people who are able to truly be themselves, without the trappings of normal society. And pleases because, well, it’s still almost a dirty little secret.

• Montavious says:

Ya, but its still one of those games where once you have done it all, it gets pretty dull. Played it for 9 years, only go back when Im extremely bored. Then I find myself extremely bored while I play the game. Then I quit again. Great game, but between fees and “been there, done that”, cant see myself playing hardcore again.

• mpk says:

I think it’s the very rare bittervet who make a break and then go back into it hardcore. I’ve spent the odd month back in the game, and will probably resub next February when my main turns 10 – just for old times’ sakes – but it’ll be a fling, nothing more. I loved EVE once, but we’re different people now.

• Mctittles says:

I don’t see how any activity on Earth could hold my interest for 9 years. The fact that one game did for you is pretty impressive.

• Quinnbeast says:

Yeah, it’s not really ‘a game’ at that stage though. More like a successful space-themed social experiment. I can’t imagine many people playing for 9 years because they REALLY like mining.

• jellydonut says:

There’s no such thing as ‘doing it all’ in Eve, unless you refer to completing the themepark content, which wouldn’t last you longer than a few months.

There’s only running out of imagination.

• scatterbrainless says:

Man, 9 years is longer than a lot of marriages

• Spanjab says:

Wow, blasts from the past!

I was one of the privileged few in the ‘corp’. My time with MPK, Jim and the rest were genuinely one of my greatest times in gaming. As Jim said this was unique, this was logging on each night and having no idea what the evening held for you. No other MMO game has given me that, they are more ‘OK we’ll do this raid tomorrow’ or ‘we’ll have the same PvP pitched battle on the same hill we did yesterday’. Eve really brought something unexpected every time, even if that unexpected thing was bad.

Eve was about the grind yes but the grind for me was only there to get money to buy more ships to go out and PvP and hence the loss was heartfelt. I only ever lost one capital ship, my Thanatos when actually warping to MPK to try to help him out only to land on a cyno and have many many enemy caps land on us. That kind of loss hurt, they left you cold for days, every other game is just a game after that.

I miss it a lot, I miss small 5v5 skirmishes, those were tense and any mistakes costly and always guaranteed the shakes afterwards. The massive capital ship blobs do nothing for me now and that’s where all the glory seems to be in Eve now. The small stories of 10 man corps are lost in the past I fear and I can’t bring myself to try Eve again now in case it tarnishes that memory.

Happy days my friends.

7. KDR_11k says:

My aversion to subscription fees has led me to Perpetuum instead. Pretty much everybody else playing that game seems to be a former long time EVE player. Dunno why EVErs switch to Perp since EVE seems to be the much more fleshed out game.

8. ukpanik says:

The first year was awesome, when it was like the wild west. Then things got blobby.

• buzzmong says:

Nah, it was still alright in 2006 ish as it was pretty sparse. It was really only when the Goons joined and proved blobbing was the most efficient and effective tactic available that it became really blobby.

• Eery Petrol says:

Nah, only after the 2016 infusion of group X did things actually turn sour.

• Ayasano says:

With the upcoming changes to how capital ships move around, it’s going to get a lot closer to the old wild west feel.

For anyone who doesn’t know, they’re implementing “jump fatigue”, which is basically a cooldown for jumping or bridging with capital ships that gets exponentially longer after the first couple of jumps, as well as shortening the max jump range to 5LY, and allowing capital ships to use stargates. It means capital fleets won’t be able to instantly cross huge regions of space, and will be much more vulnerable while travelling medium distances. Short range travel won’t really be affected.

Everything is going to feel MUCH further away.

(Still no capitals in highsec though, for good or ill)

9. Gemberkoekje says:

Ah, EVE. You either get addicted by it, or you hate it with a vengeance. Actually, both is possible too! Especially when your industrial ship filled with capital goodies is suicide ganked in empire. (Yeah, that wasn’t overly smart of yours truly, but you live and learn)

The only gripe I have with EVE, and the only reason I’ve stopped playing, is that, if you want to do it right and really have fun with the game, you really need to put quite a lot of time per day in. It’s not really a game you can play for an hour and then turn away from (In my experience, that goes stale pretty much instantly) but, if you have a corp of friends, and you can put in 4 or 5 hours every night, the thrill of PvP, the shock of losing ships, the pride of finally flying a Carrier, Blackops or Rorqual, the tense hours you spend either hunting of being hunted…

Really, there’s absolutely nothing like it.

• Zafman says:

I fully agree. The amount of time you have to devote to this game is staggering. I always wanted to try EVE and was always afraid of becoming too addicted to it. A couple of years ago I had an operation, which meant I couldn’t go to work for a few weeks. The perfect time to give it a try, I thought (especially with that tempting steam offer). I was hooked!

I quit EVE about a year ago, simply because I can’t devote enough time (also my corp died and it almost seemed convenient). The eighteen months I’ve played amounted to just over a thousand hours ingame, which is roughly two hours per day, and it’s not enough! I still consider myself a newbie, who has only just scratched the surface, but in order to get deeper into the game you simply cannot play it casually. The amount of concentration needed at times means you can barely get out of your chair to quickly zip into the kitchen. If at the same time you want to keep up with your partner’s conversation in real life, you have to be a multitasking god!
      But it’s also possible to work yourself into a corner in EVE, which turns the whole game into a never-ending chore (looking at you, Planetary Interaction!).

So, yeah, I could get back into it easily, if I only had the time.
      I still miss the place sometimes.
      It truly is one of a kind.

• Auriga says:

I agree. You need to spend a lot of time in EvE, especially if you are poor and you have to grind money in-game to buy PLEX and extend your game time. Of course, if you work a 9-5 M-F job that pays halfway decent and you’ve got real money to burn, you can cut out a lot of investment in time, since you can renew your account without using PLEX, not to mention buying a few IRL and selling them in-game for ISK (which not only keeps you from hurting for in-game money but also allows your friends who gave up working for EvE to keep playing, lol.)

So in the end it’s a trade-off. You can be unemployed but and with all the time in the world which you spend mining or ratting to make enough ISK to cover your sub, or you can have a job, have real money and afford your account but not have any time for it. You can have time but no money, or you can have money but no time. Me? I’ve got the short end of both sticks, cause I’m a college student, which means I’m always critically short on both time AND money.

Still if you’re willing to make the investment, it can be rewarding. My advice to new players – find a noob-friendly corporation ASAP. That’s what I did – joined Brave Newbies my first week in game and even though I only stayed for about two months or so, it taught me enough to transition into other corps with more experienced players and not drag everyone down. Now I’m a nullsec dweller, and I’ve been playing for over a year and a half. Joining a corporation – especially a well-off one that does regular PvP – makes it easier to learn the game, gives you a support structure for those epic noob fails that you WILL have (Losing that first 100M+ ISK ship is a painful yet necessary rite of passage, not unlike losing one’s virginity), and above all else, when nothing else is going on, you can sit around your home station and ship spin while shooting the breeze on Teamspeak, or get a blob fleet of cheap ships together and go stir up some trouble.

• rukinohi says:

Rite of passage eh? Lost 1bil nightmare last week, so I consider myself baptized.

I could not agree more though. I am a college student as well and this thing devours time (and in my case) money like no other. However it is an experience like no other and should be experienced (at least with trial account) by everybody interested in sci-fi or MMOs.

10. Cryptoshrimp says:

I wanted to like EVE, I really did. It looks fantastic, the character creator is a job, but I found the actual game dull as dishwater. You can choose to shoot barely threatening npcs or rocks and trading independently is next to impossible without a thorough understanding of the game’s market. Once I finally had a new ship – one of the starting haulers – some asshole shot me down out of the blue. I wasn’t even carrying particularly valuable cargo.

No, not for me. Alas.

• NukeWithG says:

This. Exactly ths. EVE seems Super interestingin it’s persistent world and the politics around it, but the gameplay itself felt so awfully steile. This is why I hope that Elite will become the “new EVE”.

• rukinohi says:

This. Exactly this. This is why you join ‘noob-friendly’ corp (I joined Eve-University) to learn the ropes. You can learn a lot, find people willing to lend you some ISK/ships to get started and suddenly EVE is much more fun to play.

I started on trial acc. and hated it, because I had no idea what to do. I persisted thou, subbed and joined Eve-Uni and I’ve been playing ever since (2 years now).

11. Chuckleluck says:

I consider myself a pretty avid gamer. But EVE is on my blacklist of games to never play. I can’t afford to get sucked into it.

12. Jade Constantine says:

Eve was (and to a degree still is) an amazing game. But it’s also an experience that will ruin all other mmo’s (probably a good thing) and also demonstrate there is an issue with building a player-led sandbox from a bunch of obsessive gaming geeks leading to a cross between a high-tech lord of the flies crossed with the Stanford Prison Experiment. CCP’s issue as a developer is they have been too hands off (perhaps distracted) to realize the tools they provided to the players have led to the creation of unassailable player empires that while probably valid from a sociological study standpoint, have been massively detrimental to competitive play and led directly to strangling off empire building options from half a decade’s worth of new players.

Still it was an epic game in the first half decade and is probably the last MMO I will ever play because (a) it literally took a big chuck of my early 30s! and (b) I can’t imagine any other developer revisiting the single server unified gameworld model in the future (because as demonstrated by CCP it does eventually end up with stagnation as a successful bunch of players effectively kills off the game for any new starters)

On a plus point Eve did manage to get me some lasting fame as the revolutionary who defeated BOB in the alliance tournament and the first ever democratically elected player president of an MMO (complete with all expenses paid trips to Iceland and interviews in the mainstream press!)

I do genuinely wish Eve well in the future but as a company they need to stop pretending they are the kind of developer with the talent to run a stable of titles (they aren’t) and to stick with doing what they do well (ie Eve) – they also need to confront the stagnation of their player-run-space endgame by actively smashing up the advantages inherited by the biggest entities in the game.

Eve is at it’s best when it is a dangerous, criminal, shady universe where betrayal and death lurk around the next stargate – it’s at it’s worst when the whole of the frontier is controlled by a single entity run by an internet nutcase who quit his job to live on website revenue and branded sweatshirt sales and thinks he’s sun tzu of space.

End of the day, highly recommended to unemployed people, politics students, counter-cultural revolutionaries or anyone involved in societal research and criminality. Anyone who can’t afford to spend 20+ hours a week plotting in dark future cyberspace while paying their mortgage should probably check out elite dangerous instead.

• Zafman says:

Coincidentally, it was Elite and Frontier that inspired me to try out EVE. I’m going to play Elite Dangerous like crazy! The circle is complete.

• mynnna says:

Jade, hardly anyone remembers your defeat of BoB (and for that matter quite a lot of players these days don’t even know who BoB was), chairman of the CSM isn’t anywhere near the same thing as “president of an MMO”, and the thing you’re most “famously” remembered for is roleplaying a woman and running a digital brothel.

• GiantPotato says:

See, this right here is my problem with this game. I don’t know what BoB or CSM stands for, but I understand MMOs well enough to realize that I would probably have to learn both of these terms if I started playing. And while the idea of flying around is space is intriguing, the idea of getting myself invested in these ugly little fights is not.

• Xercodo says:

Well really there’s a lot of vocabulary to cover regardless of the player groups. In this case the CSM is the council of stellar management is an elected group of players that have meetings face to face with the devs to ensure development is going the right ways.

But really getting invested in the fights is exactly what amkes EVE amazing, 90% of the game is your interaction with other people.

13. mvar says:

I had an account for a year+ or so. What made me quit or to put it better, didn’t keep me playing, was probably the wrong timing. If this was the late 90s when I happily invested 10 hours in games like Diablo2 on a daily basis, things would have been different. But this is not for “casual” play (6-8 hours per week is my definition of casual). You really have to invest a lot of time to accumulate enough credits in order to afford a) a fairly decent ship b) the probability of being blown up to pieces in most pvp battles. If you have a couple of friends already playing EVE or can find a corp with a bunch of good guys that can offer some financial support in those early steps, then EVE can become a trully great experience. If you go past through the point where losing a good ship in a battle means doing mission grinding for XX hours (I won’t even mention trading or mining which at least at the time i played were spectacularly boring), then EVE is at its greatest. Unfortunately i didn’t manage to reach this point and i ended up spending like 10 hours grinding in order to have 4-5 minutes of actual fun. Speaking of fun, at least i managed to participate in 2 huge battles involving titans, the whole buildup and radio communication was unforgettable and totally worth the time (and the implants lost when all kinds of hell broke loose)

14. LuckyLuigi says:

Don’t play EVE. I’ve played it for five years. Loved it. Hated it. Raged about it. Laughed about it.
    After this, all MMO’s will be bland. I can only play SWTOR but that’s almost single player.
    Yet EVE is NOT a good game. The game mechanics are terrible. It will linger on and slowly die while we all fly around in glorious Elite Dangerous or Star Citizen.
    Yet flying my Cobra MKIII in my heart I will always long to blob in HED-GP

• Boosh says:

I agree with this, I spent 10 years in Eve, from the last beta phase onwards.
      I had a few years of detesting it, but still playing it. Then thankfully I jumped on the Elite Dangerous kick starter and have never looked back.

What I do miss is the trading and economy, that’s unsurpassed in any game anywhere, and I highly doubt, form what I’ve seen so far, Elite has any hope of comparing to Eve’s economy. Which is a shame.

I agree with comments earlier, the game has stagnated with the massive alliance blocks and CCP so utterly terrified of upsetting them too much, it makes the game impenetrable to anyone who doesn’t wish to become fodder for those groups.

• Xercodo says:

They are actually doing some BIG changes to null this year. And like you mentioned half of null is pissed about it.

See, since the Incarna fiasco they’ve spent the last several years cleaning up and fixing EVERYTHING, and they’re actually running to the bottom of their list now. Null is finally getting its first major overhaul since Dominion.

• P.Funk says:

Somehow I doubt that. I don’t think that either Elite Dangerous or Star Citizen are trying to achieve quite the same thing as Eve.

• buzzmong says:

The only time EVE will die will be when another game sets up a proper persistant universe like EVE’s. Until that happens, no game can even hold a candle to what EVE can offer for those willing to dive deep into it.

Star Citizen I think will get closer to that than E:D, but it’s still going to be instanced for the flying part, even if some things like the market will be common.

No other game currently in the works as far as I can tell is going to even try to have 2000+ unique players all in one place and who are able to see and interact with each other at will.

15. racccoon says:

Eve is far too old, living of an old concept, it has never really advanced till now, till competition came in, its sunk inside itself. CCP never saw a way out of it, or to make a newer one from it, they just added to it like a web page adds another link. The population is based on resentment through stubbornness to never let go.
    Eve is a sub game that really is just that, eating your bank account while you don’t play it, its out of game skill training addiction, till you realise your actually going know where after years of holding on to it, till you see the light that your just losing money & time by doing a click here, click there, & logging off. Eve is a browser game with a little complexity added. its nothing much at all anymore,

16. Wytefang says:

Wanted to like this but the boring gameplay and the fact that the players were supposed to do the work the devs weren’t willing or able to do to make the game more interesting was hugely off-putting. It felt too Euro and sterile, just like the high-tech ships and UI permeating the game.

When people called it Mining Online – at least for a large chunk of its life – I fully agreed with them.

It’s day has passed imho.

17. Apprehension says:

Hunted pirates in low sec, defended first player made station, explored wormholes, run awesome incursion community, got into some trade wars, bombed some people . Its a living universe inhabited by amazing bastardly people. Its unforgiving ruthless but on other side when you achieve some YOUR own goal feeling of .. satisfaction is quote different from “oh I got 80lv toon”.

Oh and never in my EVE carrier used single spread sheet, same goes for mining. But seems some people are to narrow minded to see other opportunities.

EVE is something that I play for few months then take break, At some point there is no catching up. Also I keep comparing all other MMO I try out to EVE, as far as it goes only Arche Age came out close enough in last decade.

Yes parts of the game are bad, broken and so on. But can`t you say that about any other MMO ? In the end EVE is MMO that gave me most fun memories.

18. Crazy Hippo says:

Eve was, and still is the best MMO. i havent played in years but i did put the better part of 7 yearsfrom launch into it and loved all of it (well almost, losing expensive ships in silly ways hurts but sometimes hilarious too!) The freedom that the game allowed was the biggest draw and i do hope that the next patch will bring back some of the feeling of vastness to space. I dont play anymore but capital ships were the beginning of the end for me as they made the universe so much smaller once every man and his dog had a carrier.

19. Eery Petrol says:

I don’t understand why a game that already has had extensive coverage on this website needs a ‘have you played’ feature. It adds nothing. :S

• Distec says:

What extensive coverage.

“Adds nothing” and I’m looking at your comment… and mine.

20. LumpyRN says:

I love this game, played off and on for 8 years now and I’m still a noob, I have learned the secret to happiness in it, don’t try to win… Seriously, you can be a casual gamer in eve, you just have to find the right group. The best parts of this game is the people, that is what brought me back. Being able to play with people all over the world at the same time is like nothing else out there. Now I’m the CEO of a big null corp, we’re lowly renters, but love it that way. We celebrate our fail and use it as a badge of honor. My corp is made up of older players, you have to be 30 to join us, and the reason why we succeed in casual gaming is because we understand that it takes 3 of us to equal one hardcore eve player, so we spread it out.
    The learning curve is very steep, but no other game gets your heart rate up like EVE can.hearing our FC call out jump, jump, jump and putting your ship at risk, where loosing has meaning. You don’t “re spawn” and go get your stuff, it gets removed from the game and you have to spend time to replace it. It has ruined all other MMO’s for me as well. I only play 10 hours a week on average, and I’ve been very successful in game, you have to learn to play your way, not how others think you ought to play, then find a group of similar people to do it with. With a hundred k people playing it, it does not take long.

phuzz says:

What’s your corp by the way?
      I’m feeling the re-subscribing bug starting to itch, and a corp for us oldsters with full time jobs sounds like a good fit.

• LumpyRN says:

Thirtyplus is the name. Join “30p recruiting” tell em lumpy sent ya

• Xercodo says:

Check out “Help Chat – Reloaded” for new and returning old players alike. We’re a community based replacement for the official help chats where you can hang out and be as off topic as you want in between the questions :D

• Boosh says:

oh crap, downloading AGAIN…

I spent years and years trying to find a new corp once the small group I hung about with in 2003 all disappeared, those were easily the best times in gaming I’ve had, but never really managed to recapture that.

I got really jaded with the pseudo job applications that is the entry to the modern Eve corp, so eventually gave up.I tried a few corps but they always turn out to be very serious and utterly intolerant of incompetence, and I fell further behind the curve until I was trapped in the ridiculous situation of having a circa 100m skill point character with all the actual skill of a total newb.
      That is a real problem with Eve….staying current.

I might just give it another go, it’s perfect for the dark evenings, goes love with a drop of single malt.

21. btxsqdr says:

Same here. Years of EVE, with many breaks. Over the years I lost e-mail accounts, user accounts, but I still come back to EVE from time to time. They will probably bury me in a capsule in 50 years *dream*.

“I went on to spend five years in the heart of this beast, and I regard not simply as one of the finest games I have played, but also as one of the defining experiences of my life. It changed me.”

To me this about MMO’s in general, it is the biggest strength of an MMO: You get easier lost in a huge world than a fancy and hyped nut. Playing such a huge game for years can change your character, due to the time you’ve invested, the friends you’ve made, the meta game, and who knows what else. It’s like going to the same holodeck program over and over again — for years, not hours or months. It is also interesting how the relation between the developer and the press changes over time. What role plays the game press at games such as World of Warcraft or EVE after years? It’s like the Star Wars franchise and the press.

It is a shame that MMO production is such a nasty risk. I think that procedural worlds and roguelikes can give you a similar experience without exploding asset costs. Skyrim is an example of a still active game (according to Steam), although it is actually a static open world, but the asset costs alone were huge. Minecraft is full of stories without even being a story-driven game and without a big asset pipeline. And Star Citizen, well, a story of its own.

22. BananaMan3000 says:

To me Eve really feels like the only true MMO out there. Other MMOs get called themepark games for a reason – they’re often beautifully designed and take you on a nice ride for 3 minutes – but the ride is a fixed experience and the users have no way to change or affect anything in the world, which leaves you feeling powerless and the world dead in the long run.

Eve is a genuine virtual world, and it comes with all the good stuff and the bad stuff you see in the real world too. The game lives because you’re not protected from your mistakes like every other game – real risk, real stakes – sounds bad, but actually what it does is give the game a sense of meaning and weight that is totally absent in other games. Other games are like playing poker for matchsticks, Eve is playing with real money.

If you haven’t tried it, don’t be afraid to give it a shot. Eve has plenty of cool people and isn’t just all space sociopaths like people say (often you’ll see that most people commenting haven’t really played the game much at all) – and remember that the assholes in any community are always the most vocal (take a look at the forums of any game, especially mmos, ever). Just keep your wits about you and try and learn from your mistakes. Join a corp suitable for newbies, don’t be afraid to read articles/do a search, find a friend to explain things to you. Also – don’t mine – there are much more interesting ways to make an Eve living.

23. Thurifer says:

I have been playing EVE for about 9mo. and I love it for the reasons many have stated above. The question always gets asked: What makes EVE different? Why, despite the games obvious flaws are people so drawn to it?

The answer IMHO is three things: Single shard, persistent world, and the ability for players to take and hold territory. When another MMO can overcome the technical challenges to putting those same three things in a different setting they will have a license to print money.