Scallywags! Assassin’s Creed Rogue Announced For PC

Stabbow!

Oh, who even pretends to understand the whims and fancies of Ubisoft any more? By now, I assume their marketing plans follow prophecies and visions that CEO Yves Guillemot receives from a golden space apple alien holodeck cybergene memoryspine. There he is, in his office, rotating painting slices, sliding blocks, guessing passwords, until it finally clicks and summons a Roman space god.

“Don’t announce a PC version of Assassin’s Creed Rogue,” Jupiter commands. “Not at first. No, wait two months then casually mention it when you release some trailer or other.” Done and done!

Assassin’s Creed Rogue is coming to PC in “early 2015”, Ubisoft announced last night. Set between AC IV and III, the pirate and native american ones, it’ll see former Assassin Shay Cormac turning Templar to hunt his former pals, bumping into characters from across the American subseries. Building on the AC4 base, it’ll add things like rivers and Arctic waters to sail in, Assassins boarding you in ship combat, and an air rifle which can fire silent pellets or fancy ammo like firecrackers. Sounds like a Bash Street Kid’s dream, that one.

Ubisoft announced Rogue for Xbox 360 and PS3 in August, giving those two consoles one last murderfest as they jumped to the shiny new ones with AC Unity. While a PC version seemed likely, Ubisoft kept shtum. I had assumed they would wait until after launching Unity in November, so as not to divide interest. Nope. I might now speculate that they wanted to milk Unity excitement then assure folks with older PCs that they won’t be left out of stabbing faces just yet, but who even knows?

While the folks at series creators Ubisoft Monreal are focused on Assassin’s Creed Unity, frequent collaborators Ubisoft Sofia are leading Rogue. Here, the story trailer announcing the PC port:

basilisk says:

Called it. It really isn’t that mysterious, just common business sense. I expect that Xbone and PS4 versions won’t be far behind.

2. JiminyJickers says:

Sweet, I quite enjoyed the piraty one so would like some more pirate action.

3. Serenegoose says:

Gosh, another bland, square jawed thug on a quest for vengeance.. I can hardly contain my excitement.

• icarussc says:

I know, right? Let’s have a hero on a quest for reconciliation and prosperity, for once. Diplomat’s Creed: The Marshall Plan, anyone?

• PopeRatzo says:

Are we talking about Hotline: Miami 2 or the new Assassin’s Creed?

Though, to be fair, the character in Hotline Miami has a square jaw because at that resolution, everyone has a square jaw, even the hookers that you slaughter.

• Syra says:

I don’t recall slaughtering any hookers in Hotline Miami, in fact the only hooker I can remember is the one who you save.

Slanderous!

4. chaldean says:

I have no idea if it’s good business sense, going to be a great game or if giant turkeys will one day wreak vengeance on mankind for all those thanksgiving dinners BUT your description Ms O’Conner of the CEO’s marketing process made me laugh out loud in Narita airport, alarming a thousand Japanese in a single guffaw. Maybe this is why they wear those masks.

5. phelix says:

There are now 8 A.Creed games, not counting the 10 or so spinoffs, in the span of 7 years.
    Would ‘we’ care for this if it didn’t have the Assassin’s Creed name on it? For that matter, do ‘we’ still care?

• Lobster9 says:

Not sure who ‘we’ are, but I will offer my own opinion. I like Assassin’s Creed. *shivers*

That was tough to admit! Okay, now let me explain.

I didn’t play the series for a long time, and I actually got pretty mad at it during the marketing surrounding the release cycle of the second game, and it’s two subsequent sequels. I felt the series was a meat factory, churning out committee made sausages on an annual basis, and even now I can’t argue against that judgement. It definitely represents all the worst excesses of the monster AAA space. The ridiculously huge team sizes, the gigantic advertising budget, the glacial movement in innovation, so on.

..but I like it.

The story swings from excruciatingly slow, to convoluted comic book sci-fi. The pacing is consistently terrible. The game design is very restrictive, and at times infuriatingly so. The combat is rarely engaging, and the rest of the game mostly consists of a giant Easter egg hunt where all the eggs are clearly marked with neon signs.

..and yet I still like it.

I described it to my girlfriend (who also enjoys the games) as a giant bucket of cheese puffs. They aren’t good for you (in fact they may actually lead to health problems,) but they are damn moreish.

Unity looks like it might actually do something interesting with the assassinations at least (it’s taken them 8 games to actually get to the stage where they let you kill a main target without triggering a guard invasion,) but two games in a year is going overboard.

I enjoyed the Black Flag ship combat as much as anyone, and would love to see more, but not in an identical package. My impossible dream would be a Black Flag/Silent Hunter mash-up. With realistic distances and time acceleration, and the controls and customisation of a deep sim, but alas it will never, EVER be.

• Raiyne says:

I don’t care for Assassin’s Creed myself, it left a bad taste in my mouth from the first game and I never bothered since, even though I’ve seen friends play its different iterations over the years; But I’m glad you are able to overlook the glaring faults and enjoy the game for what it is, I can understand that feeling.

basilisk says:

There are approximately 142,589 comic books about Batman. Do we still care?

I know I don’t, but I also know that others do.

• PopeRatzo says:

“We”? Do you have a mouse in your pocket?

• Thirith says:

What the Assassin’s Creed games still do better than most games out there is evoke a sense of place and time, and that’s one of the things I love most about games. Whatever flaws there were in the gameplay, so far it’s been worth it for me just to walk the streets of Acre, Venice, Rome, Istanbul, Boston etc. While there’s a lot of elements about the series that are problematic, all the ones I’ve played (I haven’t yet played AC4 nor the handheld excursions) have had lovingly crafted environments to inhabit.

• lordfrikk says:

Yep, we do, whoever we are.

• welverin says:

That would actually be eight games in eight years, there were actually two years between AC and AC2.

Of course I think AC3: Liberation should be in that group instead of the other games category, which would be nine games in eight years.

6. Perkelnik says:

Ive lost interest in the series when AC III forced me to hunt some deer and rabits and never lookek back. Im so glad I didnt pay for that game (got it with my graphics card).
    Are the newer games worth playing? If Im correct, ACIII was the lowpoint of the series and Black Flag is rather good. But what about the other 163 games between ACIII and Unity?

basilisk says:

I’d argue that Revelations was the low point, but yes, AC3 had some huge problems. AC4 (= Black Flag) is generally considered to be the best one since AC2 (and I’d actually say it’s better).

As for the last question, there was actually only one other game, Liberation, which was a handheld title later ported to PC and consoles. It was very good for a handheld, but not terribly interesting on the core platforms. It’s basically AC3 Light, and not worth your attention if you’re not a fan of the series. The same studio is now making Rogue, which by all accounts is going to be AC4 Light, or perhaps AC4.5.

Zamn10210 says:

Revelations was definitely better than ACIII. It’s the last Assassin’s Creed game I finished. On balance, it was pretty good. It seemed disappointing at the time, but in hindsight it was positively restrained.

At least its pointless systems and side games were possible to ignore (which I did, completely), and it had relatively low-key future Animus bullshit. It was the last game to have a great city or an engaging protagonist, and as an Assassin’s Creed game it was better even than Black Flag (which was fun when you were playing pirate, but I positively dreaded being dragged back on to land).

Revelations was certainly the point the series went into decline, but it didn’t really go to poo until ACIII.

• Great Cthulhu says:

I seem to be in a small minority, but I actually enjoyed III a lot. IMO the game’s main failing is that all the good stuff is in the last 2/3rd.

• ludde says:

Same here. I even enjoyed it more than I did IV.

III actually had some new stuff in it (seasons, hunting, ships), whereas IV just expanded some of that.

• jonahcutter says:

AC III’s American Revolution setting was excellent for an intrigue-and-assassination game. It’s a real shame it was so bloated and ponderous. Same for the protagonist. Great set-up, but in the execution he was a total stiff.

AC III is a huge wasted opportunity.

Here’s to Rogue’s and Unity’s similar atmosphere of revolution and social upheaval providing better results.

• Volcanu says:

On balance I really do quite like ACIV. However I have come to the realisation that whilst all the boat-y, pirate-y bits are great and the ship upgrading loop is compelling, my heart sinks when I have to do any of the ‘on foot’ campaign missions. They are still hampered by poor stealth mechanics, crap combat and imprecise controls and (for me anyway) are an utter chore to play. And the cities are (quite sensibly given the setting) far less impressive and fun to scale than the Italian ones from ACII. I also dont care for their ‘meta-narrative’ or the plot of the game in general.

And don’t even get me started on the awful self indulgent present day sections which actually force you to slope around an office collecting ‘packages’ from a courier. Its immersion breaking busy work of the worst kind.

DESPITE all of that I would genuinely recommend you give it a go. Sailing your ship around the beautiful waters of the Caribbean, trading broadsides with enemy vessels before closing for boarding and potshotting people on the decks with your pistols or riding out monstrous storms whilst your crew sing sea shanties is all excellent stuff.

• Perkelnik says:

Thanks for the replies! I have yet to play Revelations and will get Black Flag during some sale in the future. As for others, I think I can skip them and go straight to Unity, if it’s any good…

7. Cross says:

That Air Rifle sounds as problematic as the Crossbow in brotherhood: Utterly overpowered and completely undermining the need to stab people.

Lexx87 says:

Assassins Creed Black Flag is the best pirate game i’ve ever played, so a bit more of that wouldn’t be a miss.

9. zeep says:

This game series is -sadly- not interesting anymore. AC II was the best part for me, after that it went downhill. Stopped buying after Brotherhood.

10. SanguineAngel says:

Ah, for me AC2 is the only entry I’ve really thoroughly enjoyed and that was down almost entirely down to the setting. Each city/town felt alive and I particularly enjoyed the reasonably realistic representations of those places. I’ve got one eye on Unity for similar reasons.

• P.Funk says:

Thoroughly agreed. Whatever it was trying to do it didn’t feel too excessive, too campy. It was an ideal balance. I still want to go back and play it. I can’t say the same for any of the others.

11. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

– More boats.
    – More Haythem.
    I am tempted. Tempted, I tells ya. Hopefully “Early 2015” means “before the Steam summer sale”.

12. yhancik says:

Does it have rogue-like elements though?

13. TC-27 says:

I must admit these games have aways being a guilty pleasure for me – particularly when you can pick them up for peanuts on Steam.

14. 2late2die says:

Okay so this is a bit OT, but is it me or did they use the Honest Trailers voice over guy at the end there?

15. waltC says:

Ubisoft is a very puzzling company. They had the real chance with Might and Magic X to completely restore the franchise to its former glory, and kick off something lucrative for themselves, but rather than do it they treated the game like some kind of nostalgic “gimmick-game”, limited funding for the development and stopped after-shipping development (patching and new features) after a mere couple of months past January ’14 when it shipped. Such a pity–I think–that Ubisoft has such poor judgment when it comes to games. Why do M&MX at all, if you are only going to go half-way with it? Beats me. The game was enjoyable as it was, at least after the last and final patch, but it was nothing even close to what might have been had Ubisoft a better appreciation of what people expected to see out of M&MX.

16. Gog Magog says:

I remember playing the original game and realising that if they cut out all the idiotic futurewaffle and everything about the fucking conspiracies and kept the otherworldly elements (for instance, I actually liked the “alternate point of view” idea where for no apparent reason a scene was completely recontextualized without the characters acknowledging this, like a scene with a man lying fatally wounded in Altair’s arms suddenly and without explanation pacing around and casually explaining regional politics and justifying his conduct as ethical) completely inexplicable, and improved on the activities between the actual assassinations, then Assassin’s Creed would be an absolute earthquake masterpiece of its generation.
    As it stands, it was a game with some cool ideas executed poorly for the most part, followed by utter doggerel.

17. AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

Here’s a sneak peek at Ubisoft’s marketing department.

“I’m not sure what kind of DLC we should put for Assassin’s Creed: Unreal. Light up the incense and burn the herbs. Oracle! Speak of what you see!”
    CAST THE DICE! ROLL THE BONES! LET THE HANDS OF FATE GUIDE US!
    “OK, so, television firevulva. What does that mean, exactly?”
    “It means the DLC should be a standalone game, starring the female assassin first shown in the video series called Embers.”
    “Brilliant! Give this woman a raise!”
    “JUST AS THE PROPHECY FORETOLD”