Have You Played… Masq?

The above image of Masq isn’t a spoiler, as much as it might look like one. This free game will take you 15 minutes to play, but it branches so often and in such wildly varying directions that you could play it a dozen times and never encounter this particular moment of conflict. That’s what makes it great: it’s pure narrative, told via mostly motionless black-and-white comic frames, but choose-your-own adventures are thrilling when the choices matter this much.

Masq’s other wise design decision is its unconventional setting, at least within the world of videogames. The initial setup is more reminiscent of soap operas: you’re the co-owner of a fashion design company but you’re strapped for cash ahead of a big show; the only person who is likely to lend you the money is your wife’s crooked boss, who you suspect she might be having an affair with; and to cap matters off, you’ve just discovered that your best friend Carlos has been murdered.

By the end of its high-pressure 15 minutes – if you linger on any decision for too long, the game will move along as if you chose to do nothing – you might end up divorced, or in jail, or in the middle of the desert pointing a gun at a naked man about to be bitten by a snake. The soap operatic set-up justifies the wild, salacious story and the methods by which it spins on a dime, and its short length means that going back again and again to try different options is irresistible. Even still, there’s so many options and outcomes that after a dozen plays, I don’t really know who killed Carlos.

If you like the Telltale games like The Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us, play Masq. The art isn’t as good, but it’s shorter, snappier, more exciting and doesn’t have any turgid puzzles to get in the way of the story. And it’s free.

1. Moni says:

I love Masq.

It is my honest-to-goodness favouritest game of all time. I love it more than Gone Home, who would have thought that was possible.

It is one of very, very, very few games where it actually feels like being a part of the narrative, not just observing it.

• Klydefrog says:

Agreed. I don’t know why there aren’t more games like it. Nothing else has really engrossed me in its narrative in the same way, and I’m pretty sure there are still scenes that I haven’t encountered. Are the developers still around? I was always quite upset that it didn’t lead to a longer game.

2. Curry the Great says:

I hate that I have to register to play the game and be online. Why? And then the game has a bunch of connectivity issues causing me to have to try and register 5 times before it works.

I wouldn’t bother.

3. Beebop says:

Again, I suspect that you mean “turbid” puzzles, (obscure, messy) rather than “turgid” (firm, engorged). Football commentators are the main culprits for the confusion. A lot of footballers seem to have turgid encounters.

Carra says:

Been ages since I’ve played this but I replayed it at least ten times. Excellent game. Or should I say interactive movie.

5. Guvornator says:

So what’s the deal with the lives? Can I reset them?

6. Corwin71 says:

I tried Masq based on the recommendation here and I thought it was awful. It may well be true that you have impressive agency as a player, but I need a less hackneyed, stereotyped and borderline offensive narrative to play through before I would care. As it is, the prospect of playing this more than once feels like being trapped inside an awful Spanish melodrama. I’m not convinced about how open ended it is, either, considering how fervently the game wanted me to call Williams and sleep with Nikki.