Rebel Galaxy: Ex-Torchlight Folks’ Space Sandbox

Pew pew.

A crafty crew of space-outlaws can scrape by on the edge of known space by trading, stealing, scavenging, negotiating, exploring, and fighting as long as they have a reliable spaceship, popular media tells me. Now imagine such an outfit of scamps in control of a destroyer bristling with guns. That’s Rebel Galaxy, the first game from Travis Baldree and Erich Schaefer’s new outfit Double Damage Games. You might remember those two as founding members of Torchlight devs Runic Games, or from Mythos and Diablo respectively before that. This isn’t quite an action-RPG, though.

Double Damage call Rebel Galaxy “a swashbuckling space adventure” — not a strategy game but more than just a shooter. It’s set in a procedurally-generated space-sandbox where you can get by as you please, but violence and skulduggery seem particularly encouraged. Ships have big old broadside guns as well as moveable turrets, making for battles of manoeuvres. They still look jolly nippy though, not lumbering old boats. And, of course, rebels can buy different ships, from corvettes to dreadnoughts, and customise them with weapons and equipment.

It has a social side too. Captains develop relationships with military and civilian factions, or can simply giggle to themselves as they go for insulting dialogue options. Provoking people is an important part of a maverick outlaw captain’s duties, after all.

Polygon have a big fancy interview with Double Damage about all sorts of things as well.

Double Damage is only Baldree and Schaefer with a whole load of contractors chipping in. “We wanted to make smaller, quicker games (though I doubt people will find Rebel Galaxy to be small), in a way not accountable to investors or suits, and not responsible for managing big teams,” they say. Their pair left Runic, which is mostly owned by free-to-play MMO specialist Perfect World, in March.

Expect Rebel Galaxy in 2015. Here’s the announcement trailer:

1. Sandepande says:

Joy!

2. Velko says:

Sounds cool! But this and “Interstellar Marine” on the frontpage… it seems the Generic Space Video Game Name Generator is overheating at the moment.

In any case, I’d like to use this opportunity to point you all towards my upcoming new game, Interstellar Star Galaxy Space: Rebel Marine Fighters.

• Drake Sigar says:

I’ll take just about anything over Vengeance, Origin, or Rising these days.

• Velko says:

Then you will probably be delighted to hear that the sequel to my game is titled Interstellar Star Galaxy Space: Rebel Marine Fighters: The Origeancening.

• Lacessit says:

You sir, can expect a summons from my lawyers concerning my FPS card game, Galactic revolution: Space Conflict. You will rue the obvious plagiarism of your title!

• Hanban says:

And you sir, will hear from my lawyers regarding this obvious infringment on my game Space: Decorating Fengshui Places!

• Vacuity729 says:

Velko said:
      “my upcoming new game, Interstellar Star Galaxy Space: Rebel Marine Fighters Saga.”

Fixed that for you.

3. Bradamantium says:

I kind of hoped it would be a big blasty loot-filled spaceship action RPG, ’cause that sounds great. Is that a thing that exists? It oughta be.

Harlander says:

Drox Operative, perhaps?

• RedViv says:

Yes, that. It’s also one that basically runs a light-weight 4X game in the background while you do, which is absolutely amazing.

• Doubler says:

Zigfrak is pretty heavy on the lootings.

• Moraven says:

That is what Rebel Galaxy is, at least from their trailer.

Diablo in space, with your avatar now a large capital ship that controls like a space fighter.

4. DyingFlutchman says:

The game sounds exciting enough on an individual level, I’m just starting to worry that the huge explosion in space games means that sooner or later it’ll cause space game-fatigue and the genre will dry up for a long while again.

• alms says:

Y’know, reading your comment, I couldn’t help but think – well this is what’s someone always bound to say at the beginning of every bubble.

Hell, I gave up entirely on waiting for the zombie bubble to burst. I guess that’s only going to happen when every single new game being released has zombies in it.

5. Gog Magog says:

Surely that would be a “Spacebox”.

• Sleepymatt says:

Watch out for the Intergalactic Kitty poo… the only good thing is no-one can hear you cry when your big sister rubs your hands in it.

6. Hypnotron says:

It looks like Privateer with a Firefly motif and a NPC bartering/dialog system that perhaps has some persistent memory aspects. Not that this is a bad thing, just don’t get fooled into believing you’re getting much more than that.

7. sharkh20 says:

Oddly, I had visited their site two days ago to check if they had announced a game yet.

8. hewhosayszonk says:

2D space? *falls to knees* NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

9. Cross says:

And immediately i am thinking of how well a nemesis system might work in here: Procedurally generated boss captains with names and distinct, powerful ships, roaming about the open world…

• RedViv says:

Oh I do so ever hope that Shadow of Mordor was just the pebble that will get an amazing avalanche of living NPC systems started.

• Bart Stewart says:

I am right there with you.

Along with understanding that different people like different kinds of fun (and that’s OK), that’s it’s good to offer multiple ways to solve gameplay challenges, and that “strategic” is not a synonym for “tactical,” one of the things I most want to see is a Living World of autonomous, dynamic NPCs.

That’s one of the reasons why Limit Theory is at the top of my list of games I’m following.

• Blackcompany says:

Narrative approaches in video gaming almost cannot be mentioned in conversation without someone bringing up the positives in the approach of a game such as Dark Souls. Its hands off, non-intrusive approach compels players to explore and discover; it does narrative right for this genre, revealing the story as you play, as opposed to halting that play in order to make those reveals in cutscenes, which many games favor. When narrative approach is discussed, Dark Souls always gets a mention.

Shadow of Mordor has become the “Dark Souls” of open world/Sandbox games. And I think that’s a good thing. The Nemesis system is very good. Its a tool that makes perfect sense in an open world game. I for one would love to see it get a starting role somewhere, as opposed to being sort of a side attraction to a main narrative. I think Nemesis could very well carry a game with a Souls-like approach to a lightweight narrative requiring discovery by the player as opposed to intrusive exposition.

Still, I second those players who now look for something akin to a Nemesis system in open world/sandbox titles going forward. It needs to happen. I find myself hoping that the lengthy postponement of Arkham Knight was due to the addition of a similar system in that game, given the publisher.

• derbefrier says:

yeah after finally getting to play a bit of Shadow of Mordor I have to agree. Its a wonderful system that I hope makes appearances in other games. Also since someone brought up Drox Operative I couldn’t help but think how awesome a nemesis system would be in that game.

• jonahcutter says:

Interesting theory about the delay for Arkham Knight. Perhaps Rocksteady did learn of Mordor’s nemesis system and realized that sweet new bat-tank vs robot tank gameplay, that everybody was so desperate for in a Batman game, wasn’t going to cut it.

I would wholeheartedly support Batman shamelessly stealing the nemesis system right back from Mordor. Turnabout is fair play. They wouldn’t even have to change it much, just reskin it.

Or perhaaaaaaps not…

Batman vs Orcs: Uruk Hai Edition!

Money in the bank.

10. BTAxis says:

Aw, when I read the article I was hoping for some nice slow-paced tall-ships-in-space combat, but it looks to be pretty arcadey. Ah well, it’s still cool.

11. alms says:

Nowadays I rarely ever watch trailers, call me back when they’ve released the final game kind of thing, but I’m glad I made this one exception – excited about this game.