Inside Out, Round And Round: InnerSpace

I love exploring walking simulators, but I often yearn for movement systems more interesting than placing one foot in front of the other. InnerSpace‘s “exploration-heavy flying” might satisfy. It’s set inside an inverted planet, where gravity causes objects to fall away from its center and you’re consequently surrounded by a bubble of water. Watch the soft hues of the trailer below.

InnerSpace isn’t solely about piloting your submersible plane, though I wouldn’t mind if it was. You’ll also be using your “wing blades” to cut the ropes of objects tethered around the environment, machineguns whose fire rate increases the faster you fly, and destructible environments.

But it looks lovely, which is what interests me. There’s a little more info, a couple more screenshots and a beautiful GIF over at the game’s site.

1. Cockie says:

Very pretty.

2. Questionable says:

The physics of this bother me. If it’s gravity, then it shouldn’t it still pull toward the centre, becoming weaker as you get closer to it? If the planet is rotating then I think there would also be an apparent outward force toward the equator, weaker as you move toward the poles or centre.

Might seem like nit-picking, but for me it’d ruin the suspension of disbelief while playing.

Edit: Ok, so I see they say “physics is inverted”. Not quite enough of an excuse for me, but at least they’ve got one.

• dontnormally says:

Not an excuse, a conceit!

• godjammit says:

We’re actually publishing a blog-post regarding the legitimacy and fallacies of our world’s physics in the next week or so. Along with a few of our explanations/pseudo-science that makes it plausible. Check our site for it! PolyKnightGames.com

-Tyler the programmer for this game

• FeuganRa says:

Technically speaking gravity is a property of mass. AKA mass bends the fabric of space and time. So gravity would pull outward towards the bottom of the ocean. where it gets weird is when you reach the center and gravity is pulling on you the same amount in 360 degrees. What happens there? well here is our programmer Tyler’s answer to how it works. You might have already seen this but for anyone else here it is. link to polyknightgames.com

Also thanks for commenting! it’s always good to hear what others have to say :P
      -Thanks Nick

• Philotic Symmetrist says:

Seconding Dark_Oppressor’s comment, inside a spherically symmetric shell you would not be pulled towards the edge but would experience no net gravitational force. Not that this is a problem for the game (playing around with different physical models in games is like considering unusual metrics in mathematics, it’s fun and you can so why not?) but the real physics of such a system is weirder and cooler than intuition may suggest.

• Questionable says:

I agree that playing with laws of physics and seeing where it leads is a fun mental exercise. Good on the devs for making an interesting premise for a game. So long as whatever system they come up with feels consistent then it won’t bother me.

On the standard physics of a hollow world – the whole shell thing only works if it’s a truly hollow shell (i.e. containing only vaccuum). If there’s air, then there’s pull to the centre where anything not fixed should end up. So you’d get a central ocean and clouds coming together – just like how planets form!

• psuedonymous says:

Wait, Euler angles instead of Quaternoins? Maybe I’m just too used to working with physical data, but haven’t you had any problems with Gimball Locking when moving around the ‘polar’ regions?

• Dark_Oppressor says:

Shouldn’t you experience no net gravitational force inside of a hollow sphere (see shell theorem)?

• TechnicalBen says:

I think the subtleties of how gravity works in a purely physics based description is well beyond us.
      How do we even start to imagine relativity turned on it’s head?

3. agitated_android says:

It’s very interesting.

That’s the best I can say for what looks like what we used to just call, “proof of concept”.

4. Geebs says:

*mild snark* *inquiry* in the year 2014, if you mentioned a walking simulator without saying how much you loved the genre, did you have your press pass confiscated, meatba- I mean master?

• Alice O'Connor says:

Looks like we got ourselves a walking simulator poser here…

Graham, I wanna see 2,000 words on how Dear Esther isn’t ENOUGH of a walking simulator on my desk by 5pm tomorrow.

• Geebs says:

Dear Esther is the Call of Duty of walking simulators. It’s completely linear, you die and reset whenever you deviate from a ridiculously narrow path, and they keep remaking the same game with engine upgrades.

• Philotic Symmetrist says:

Linear plus RNG; as I understand it there are some different lines that can be spoken but it’s more dependent on a dice roll than on your exploration.

• Geebs says:

That’s directly analogous to CoD’s randomly-named but otherwise indistinguishable squad-mates :-P

5. LionsPhil says:

This contains zero instances of Dennis Quaid being spun rapidly inside a diving pod thing with manipulator claws.

0/10

• ZappForThat says:

Hey, I’m one of the artists working on InnerSpace,

As of now, we’re seriously considering that as an unlockable haha

• FeuganRa says:

Well I think what Steve here meant to say is that Innerspace is actually a convoluted metaphor for Dennis Quaid spinning rapidly inside a diving pod with manipulator claws. I think this will become more apparent in the course of development.

• ZappForThat says:

Lol we need a giant statute named Jack that you can fly inside of

6. Telkir says:

Noticed this from The Other Place first. I don’t mind the graphical style at all (the colour palette puts me in mind of Journey a bit, which is fine by me). The quirk with the gravity is interesting though I’m honestly not sure if all that makes it a game that grabs my interest a huge amount.

Have to say that the headline got me instantly in mind of Software Dynamic’s original classic, Operation: Inner Space, a game which someone really needs to create a spiritual successor to. Many happy hours in Windows 3.11 were spent there…

7. Ejia says:

Nothing to do with Operation: Inner Space either. I suppose. Unless there’s an ambulance you can call in that you can run away from for laughs. Or get a ship so fast you run into your own bullets as you fire them.

8. Philotic Symmetrist says:

“I love exploring walking simulators, but I often yearn for movement systems more interesting than placing one foot in front of the other.”

This is what I always felt about Proteus; what’s so joyful about plodding? And why can’t I climb the trees?

9. Kiah says:

I accidentally opened this article and now I’m having flashbacks to my childhood spent playing “Inner space”, a space game that generated levels based on the files on your computer.. Send help.

link to giantbomb.com

10. psuedonymous says:

Inverted shellworlds are always fun places to explore. And as with any Exploration Simulator: Rift support please!

11. Bassem says:

Vaguely reminiscent – to me – of the art of Moebius, especially stuff like this

link to 4.bp.blogspot.com

This, combined with my love of flying/gliding/jetpacking/rocketbooting in games piques my interest.