Magnus & Blade: Warband Viking DLC Announced

Ah. I see you're expecting us.

Mount & Blade II is looking awfully fancy, but don’t expect to play it any time soon. If you want more armies and more lands to conquer now, now now now, now now now now now now now, stop stamping your feet and pouting as more are coming “soon”. While creators TaleWorlds are focused on the sequel, they’ve drafted another mod team to create another add-on for M&B: Warband.

Today they announced Viking Conquest, a Norse expansion coming from the folks behind Warband’s Brytenwalda mod.

Whenever “soon” turns out to be, Viking Conquest will launch initially on Steam Early Access. Other than a few screenshots, about all we know is contained within these official words:

Viking Conquest takes the Mount & Blade franchise into historical Dark Age Britain, at a time when Norsemen began to raid the British Isles, looting monasteries and burning coastal settlements. The DLC features an overworld map encompassing Britain, Norway and Denmark, a fully fledged single player storyline, as well as the classic sandbox mode with expanded diplomatic options. Multi player also plays host to new game modes, including sea battles and coastal raids. All filled with completely new armours, weaponry, scenes and characters authentic to the Dark Age setting.

It’s got Vikings, get it? Look at ’em, with their boats and their blonde hair:

We are sailing, we are sailing...

All right, beardo?

Qazinsky says:

As a Swede, I kinda feel left out here. We were vikings too, damnit!

• Darth Gangrel says:

As a Swede I thought “Britain, Norway and Denmark? No Sweden?”. According to the Widespread Prejudice Encyclopedia, we were as much Vikings as our neighbors

Also, that second screenshot is amazingly shiny.

• Catchcart says:

This one?

“[Swedish] Viking activity there centered mainly around peaceful trade instead of the pillaging typical in Western Europe.”

• Darth Gangrel says:

Then perhaps not much has changed. Today we’d rather send an angry email to a newspaper than riot in the streets burning cars and stuff. It figures then that when we went traveling more than a thousand years ago we didn’t want any conflicts, just like the average Swedish person is hesitant to get into personal conflicts nowadays (according to the Widespread Prejudice Encyclopedia).

• killias2 says:

Swedish vikings, AFAIK, tended to go East rather than West. They traded a lot with Byzantium, were affiliated with the early Varangian Guard, and helped found Kievan Rus and other proto-East Slavis states.

• Catchcart says:

As a Dane, I say ‘Phhhhhhh’ to that. You guys took the easy way out east, cruising the rivers, trading and playing at impressionable tourists in Constantinople while the rest of us trashed stuff. Call yourselves vikings? Pulease.

Qazinsky says:

Why you gotta keep a viking brother down? I just wanna burn and pillage in Britain a bit, ’tis all. :(

• bills6693 says:

Sweeden got to be in Fire & Sword as the ‘Western European’ (and therefore my default every game) power. Man I wish more of Western Europe was there, although to be fair then all the nations would have been very similar. The variety was good, even if it meant that nobody else had musketmen to hold a candle to my own.

• JiminyJickers says:

Thanks to the Sabaton song, Sweden an Vikings are engraved in my mind. And of course, Bengtsson’s book, The Long Ships.

2. tormos says:

I found the last DLC by another company (With Fire and Sword) to be rather underwhelming and not really up to Warband’s standards. Here’s hoping this one is better, but I won’t be buying it right away.

• Lucid says:

I have faith that this will be amazing due to the dev’s pedigree.

You should really give Brytenwalda a shot, it’s amazingly detailed and complex in all the right places.

• bills6693 says:

With Fire & Sword was probably my favorate Mount and Blade game/experience of the lot. I enjoyed it far more than Warband.

I guess it just comes down to personal preference. I love the age of muskets far more than what came before it. I find something about forming a line of musketmen and slowly advancing on the enemy to be very grand.

In none of the games have I ever gotten to a ‘high’ level, so maybe at the higher end of things warband gets better. But for the start of the game, I find F&S my preferred experience.

The only Mount & Blade thing that came close in enjoyment was the Warhammer Fantasy mod (which I think I learned about through RPS itself), which I think was more just for the very interesting setting. Although it was a bit odd that you could just go around recruiting villagers from all the civilisations and then end up with a totally mixed army. Cool, though.

• Lanfranc says:

I will say this for WF&S: It’s the only M&B game where I feel genuinely nervous every time I go into battle. You never know just what will happen.

3. jasta85 says:

The problem with any paid DLC for warband at this point is that there are dozens of excellent mods that are essentially brand new games all in themselves, having everything from the revolutionary war, to rome, to star wars, and many of them are polished as well. There are also other mods for enhancing sieges, diplomacy, economy management etc. It’s hard to imagine this will provide anything new that we haven’t already had before in existing mods. I say this as a mount and blade warband fanatic with over 260 hours clocked according to steam.

Qazinsky says:

Fully agreed, presonally, the mod I go back to the most i Prophesy of Pendor, some fantasy races, but mostly humans duking it out, lead and train a knighthood of your choice and proper hard opponents, good stuff!

4. Eglath says:

Who the hell needs a Viking DLC if we already have AD1257?

• Fanbuoy says:

I’d say someone who wants to play as a viking, but I’m just guessing here.

5. red36 says:

Where is the link to the original content? where was the announcement made?

• Alice O'Connor says:

I received an e-mail and quoted the bit I thought useful. The press release, which doesn’t say much more, is now online here: link to gamasutra.com

If you want the other screenshots, which show broadly the same things, someone posted the lot here: link to neogaf.com

• red36 says:

Ah ok, apologies for the possibly aggressive tone. I went looking around for sources and thought it strange they not post it on the Taleworlds site. Thanks for the links!

So like..YOU’RE announcing it. Not like…that its announced ;), dunno maybe.

6. Duke of Chutney says:

I enjoyed Brytenwalda quite a bit despite its bugs. Will keep an eye on this.

7. SaintShion says:

You had me at vikings, but we even get viking ships? Holy hell, we get ships! Wait, we can attack using ships?! Okay, where do I put my money?

8. abHowitzer says:

Oh man, I was a hardcore Brytenwalda player a couple of years ago. Communicated a lot with Idibil (and Adorno I think?) on bugs and gameplay ideas. Even tested a sort-of beta version and made a few textures for the mod.

These guys deserve it more than anything. The way they, as “simple” modders, just took to the project with such professionalism, ambition and vigor was eye-opening for me. Balancing gritty realism and historical reality with plain fun gameplay must’ve been hard. Coding features in a game that, codebase-wise, wasn’t very accessible at all must’ve been excruciating.

I’m not surprised at all they’ve been picked up to make a game themselves. And I’m a little proud as well, having been a tiiiiiiny part of it :)