You Are Nothing: World Of Diving Adds Bismarck, Dread

Bismarck-y.

Why not dive into the murky depths and bear witness to your own insignificance? Visit a shipwreck and see what the sea makes of our society and its mighty technology. See how fragile we are. See how sentimental the sea is. See what use the sea has for you. It’s a bit macabre, innit?

The latest World of Diving update has added the wreck of the Bismarck, letting us experience existential dread within the corroded corridors of the German battleship. It was scuttled in 1941 after a lengthy chase and battle; from a crew of over two thousand, barely one hundred were rescued. The wreck was discovered 48 years later, five kilometres down in the dark.

That far down, the sea’s indifference would crush you in an instant. You’ll need to use your imagination as you paddle about in scuba gear, then, but perhaps this is all a horrible dream. That might explain why you’re pocketing knick-knacks, cursed little objects, as you swim through a memorial to thousands. It’s all a bad dream. Surely you’re not so petty, so pointless.

Beyond the horrors of the Bismarck, the update also added a little remote-controlled robot buddy and a metal detector to play with. Perhaps shiny technology will help distract you from all that.

World of Diving is still in early access. Christopher Livingston had a look at it last month, see.

1. In Zod We Trust says:

More games need an “Existential Dread” update or expansion. Games with a literal abyss to gaze into seem like an untapped resource.

Neurotic says:

They should add the wreck of the Hesperus, get all the neurotics going.

• Bassen_Hjertelos says:

They should add Blücher. The wreck is at 90m. It’s an extremely dangerous dive, but realisticly doable. Bismarck is just silly, really.

3. Humppakummitus says:

Damn that coin and its keyboard prompt. I’m sure the gui elements are the same as the main game, but come on…

4. Shadowcat says:

Alice wins RPS today.

5. unit 3000-21 says:

Finally! A new way to feel my insignificance. All this “staring at ceiling while lying in bed at night” thing is getting old.

6. Hunchback says:

This “game” seems quite interesting, haven’t followed it really but i am interested in marine life, reefs and pretty sights. Guess exploring ship wrecks is not bad either, if there’s enough to actually explore.

I do hope they up the graphics tho, considering how pretty things are in the real world, playing a game dedicated to diving would really benefit of awesome colours, lights and general visuals. Of what i saw in the video it seems quite low-res for now.

7. Gog Magog says:

To crew and chasm belong this treasure and they are there dead.

8. elevown says:

So how exactly are you meant to be diving a 5km deep wreck?

Scuba gear like you seem to be wearing will get you to about 300m and navy specialist gear to like 600… That’s a bit short of 5000.

• popej says:

Speedos.

• slerbal says:

I’m with you on this. I love the idea of exploring the wreck, but I just can’t buy into the concept that you can SCUBA down to 5km. The cognitive dissonance would scratch at the inside of my skull :(

I think I would have been able to handle it if they moved the wreck to 500m something insanely deep but still just-about-possible-maybe. Still it does look gorgeous. Maybe nitrogen narcosis will calm my scratching :)

• Bassen_Hjertelos says:

They did simulated (in pressure tanks) test dives in Norway to 300 and 500 meters. The project was called Deepex. It’s a dark stain on the history of the Norwegian oil enterprise. One diver got brain injury and one died out of four divers (that’s pretty shoddy odds if you ask me) and there’s been no compensation or official apology from the government.

9. Flavour Beans says:

I saw “World of Diving” and thought that it was a harpoon-centric spin-off of World of Tanks.

10. Mr Bismarck says:

I don’t remember agreeing to this.

11. Lucid says:

I both hate that this game exists and love it.

I can now experience the crippling fear of the deep unknown from the comfort of my office chair!

12. lordfrikk says:

I read that as world of dividing and suddenly I froze in terror.

13. AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

Will they also add Bismarck as a playable character? Civ games can’t have all the fun.

14. Scrote says:

Loved this post, nice one Alice :)

The game doesn’t seem to show any sort of the stuff that you can (and sometimes should!) take with you on a proper dive. Dive Computer and such. Having done many dives, but all of them noobish ones where I basically followed an instructor around, I think this could be a great way to learn all that stuff without spending any precious underwater minutes not looking around you in awe.

Does this game have any of that, or is it more a spinning coins thing?

15. Bassem says:

Oooh, never heard of this title before but it’s right up my alley.

16. eat5 says:

Dont buy it , says no DRM but if you erase the forum account game wont work. so they lie, they are always trying to get you to leave STEAM and goto their 3rd party site begging for money, Devs are Not Nice, if you complain they insult you. HORRIBLE DEVELOPER should be banned from the Industry….