The RPS Bargain Bucket: Cat-llergical Problems

I love cats, but their luxurious coats disagree with my nose. I am writing this from behind a mountain of soggy tissue paper, even as kittens attempt to use my toes as props in play. I should probably run away, but they’re too cute. Help. (On the bright side, this much sneezing has to qualify as a workout, right? Right?) Because I’m currently located in the Pacific North-West and must prepare this earlier than I normally would, there’s a chance that this week’s Bargain Bucket might have more inaccuracies than normal. I hope not. I don’t know. I’m too busy sneezing my lungs out in the service of cute, fuzzy things. Regardless, enjoy today’s collection of discounted video games. (Ah-choo!) Also, this week’s plushie is an old submission from Lemming because I’m too sick and too far away from home to take my own photos.

Unrest
$3.74/£2.49/€2.99
Unrest is interesting. Set within a “fantasy interpretation of ancient India,” the game examines the lives of the common folk, the rabble, the nameless people who slip unseen into passages of history. It puts you in control of a woman attempting to resist an arranged marriage, a slum dweller, a troubled priest, and other unique personalities. It asks you to interweave their lives, to see if you can break from centuries-old patterns. It’s not perfect, but it is Interesting, with a stern emphasis on the word “interesting.” Adam had plenty of thoughtful things to say about it (including a handful of spoiler-y comments) in case you wanted even more words to convince you of the purchase.

Shiny Loot 8 Bundle
$3.50/£2.18/€2.74 minimum
Groupees bundles tend to be wildcards, often filled with more imagination than polish, more variety than triple-A talent. And the Shiny Loot 8 is no different. As of the time of writing, we have seven games up for grabs, with an additional three sitting anxiously in the wings. There’s Unearthed, which is like Uncharted but with a different regional slant and Lylian, which puts players in the role of a smiling asylum resident. Crazy Machines provide an alternative for those who just want to built strange contraptions, while Elements: Souls of Fire offers some old-school RPGing for those who need even more diversions. Will they be good? Who knows. They’ll certainly offer variety in your life.

Inquisitor: Deluxe Edition
$1.95/£1.21/€1.53
Inquisitor sits at the forefront of my backlog, looming like a vulture, waiting for me to finally find time away from demanding cats and endless words to infest in its madness. I keep thinking I should get around to playing it. I keep thinking I should try experiencing this flawed theological RPG, where you play as someone deadset on raining doom on those who worship things you don’t personally believe in. I keep thinking about it, which is almost as good as playing it, right? The writing is purportedly thick-as-thieves, a veritable avalanche of words further compounded by the presence of a novel. Whether you enjoy this game or not, it seems, will be wholly dependent on your fondness for reading and being hopelessly, frustratingly lost.

The Humble Weekly Bundle – Pay at least $6.00/£3.73/€4.70 to unlock all
Like so many other people out there, I have my issues with some of Penny Arcade’s misdemeanors, but that doesn’t stop me from enjoying their game series. Humble’s latest weekly selection comes with an assortment of familiar titles, many of which I’m certain we all own already. There’s the aforementioned Penny Arcade games, the Shank franchise, the Baconing (!!!), and Plant vs Zombies: Game of the Year Edition for those who still haven’t played that one. Oh, and Boximals Bounce. Because rectangular animals with the ability to bobble energetically are something this world always needs more of. (B-b-b-b-onus deal: Devolver Digital is also having a sale this weekend on Humble.)

NaNoWriMo Writing Tools Bundle – Pay at least $20/£12.43/€15.67 for everything
Did I get that acronym, right? Bugger that acronym. The meaning remains intact. If you don’t know what it’s all about, NaNoWriMo is short for “National Novel Writing Month,” an annual event that involves thousands of people attempting in earnest to write and finish a novel before the end of November. Now, as anyone who has ever tried writing a hulking block of text will tell you, this isn’t an easy challenge. As such, Storybundle has come up with a bundle featuring a host of books to teach you precisely how to survive this arduous challenge, and how to just become an overall better writer. If you do pick up the bundle, check out Shadows Beneath, which features some award-winning authors talking very critically about how they do it. (Also, if you’re joining the fray, good luck! You’ll need it.)

1. CookPassBabtridge says:

Is there anywhere I can find good flight sim related bargains? It seems there are so many places I could literally spend the wealth of the united nations and still only own half of whats available. I’d like me a bargain plane or two :)

Of course DCS is having a flash sale, so I can console myself with that :D

• jnik says:

Military flight sim ok? GoG just got the Wings! remaster and are running a (small) discount, and F-117A is 60% off there if you like the retro. Doesn’t help with the oodles, but hey, it’s something.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Thanks :D I must have missed that in my Amiga days

2. RedViv says:

Well, well, well
    What have we here?
    Bargain Bin, huh?
    Uuuuh my wallet’s scaaaared!

• YogSo says:

You’re jokin’, you’re jokin’
      I can’t believe my eyes
      You’re jokin’ me, you gotta be
      This can’t be the right price

3. KDR_11k says:

I’m no fan of Crazy Machines, the puzzles tend to be designed in such a way that there’s only one valid solution and it consists of filling in the obvious gaps. The only thing left is finding the pixel-perfect positioning that makes it all work out which is always the worst part of any TIM-clone.

4. defunct says:

My favorite column to read the comments for and there’s hardly any comments, yet! I’ll have to try back tomorrow. Let’s get going you slackers! I need to know about all the good sales this weekend!!! Um, please; and thank you.

5. Undermind_Mike says:

Edit: wrong thread! Oops!

• CookPassBabtridge says:

I will come and join you in the wrong thread if you’d like some company. Chocolate hobnob?

6. ThatParticularArgument says:

I’ve found that hay fever meds work quite well against cat allergy, especially nose sprays.

• Gap Gen says:

I think my main issue is that coming back for Christmas the house is closed up to stop the heat getting out, so it’s a big cloud of allergens. Vacuuming and airing out the place will help for sure. Also being allergic also tends to make me more susceptible to actual colds (as does travelling). But yeah, hay fever meds do help a bit.

7. JustAchaP says:

There’s a random bundle for the Ecco The Dolphin games on the Humble Store

8. mlaskus says:

While I did enjoy the writing in the Inquisitor, it’s problem was that the only way to advance in your investigation was to go into a dungeon where all of the evidence was simply laid out for you to find once you whacked enough monsters.
    Maybe I’ve missed something.

9. melnificent says:

I’m more surprised that Penny Arcade is still going. From the dickwolves stuff, which I still don’t understand how they thought was funny, to their attitude towards trans*, and the dodgiest kickstarter outside of Double fine. Why do people still support them?

• Stellar Duck says:

Well, the joke in itself was pretty good, I thought.

Thing is, they could have avoided the entire fiasco by saying: “Huh, we didn’t consider that could be an issue to some. Apologies all round if anyone got upset. We’ve revised the strip and now the prisoners are beaten to sleep instead. It’s still the same joke though”.

There. That would have solved a hell of a lot of problems with PA for me. But instead they doubled down on being jerks. As always.

• melnificent says:

That would’ve been sensible. Instead they said “pulling the dickwolves merchandise was a mistake”… doubling down on being jerks.

Sadly it means I no longer support their charity (childs play) despite the good work it does I can’t help feeling they use it as a crutch to show how good they are whenever they stir a new controversy.

• commentingaccount says:

They no longer run Child’s Play, thank God. They realized their worsening PR was hurting the charity, so they did the mature thing and backed away from it. They might promo it a fuckton, and maybe even consider it their baby, but they don’t run it anymore.

• Nogo says:

Tbf, the reason he said that was a mistake was because it just opened up the same wound again. They realized their biggest mistake was continuing to press the issue, and he felt it was inappropriate to bring up anymore in any light (he also noted the irony of saying this at a semi-public event).

They were right dunderheads about the whole thing, but have also shown a lot of growth and learning concerning these issues. When someone says “I learned my lesson and want to move on” continuing to kick them while they’re down just makes things worse for everyone.

• Stellar Duck says:

I think that some people question if they really learned anything given later actions.

I know I do.

• jalf says:

I suppose you missed more recently when the did fully apologize for the whole mess?

Honestly, I think the hatred towards them is kind of weird. All they’re really guilty of is being fairly ordinary privileged white guys who have to learn the hard way that what they think is a harmless joke can actually hurt others. But unlike the rest of us, they don’t have the luxury of learning this in a private environment. They learn their lessons with an audience of millions. And a significant part of their audience seems to be looking for an excuse to attack them for anything they say.

Sure, Mike in particular has said a lot of offensive shit. But from what I’ve seen, in recent years he’s also been pretty honest about apologizing once he understood the damage he caused. Of course, apologizing doesn’t negate the harm you cause beforehand, but on the other hand, well, who here hasn’t screwed up and unintentionally hurt people? We just have a smaller audience, and fewer victims when we do so.

This unconditional condemnation of them for their screwups with no consideration for either their attempts to rectify it, or the good they’ve done just feels kind of hypocritical to me.

I’ve offended and upset people with my ignorance too, like them I’ve sometimes exacerbated the damage because I just didn’t get it, and like them, I’ve apologized once I did get it. But unlike Penny Arcade, I haven’t, for example, launched a major charity.

• Rise / Run says:

Yes… I’d say their misfires go way beyond “misdemeanors”

• Jenks says:

I’m not surprised at all it’s still going, considering the vast majority of people don’t give a shit about made up controversies.

10. Kefren says:

Anyone want either of these freebies? Just contact me via email or Facebook (links on my website, Contact tab) if you want either. Brackets tells you the site you need an account on for me to transfer the unplayed game/software.

– Magrunner Dark Pulse [GOG]
    – Dungeons of Dredmore [Desura]

• Kaeoschassis says:

Gosh darn it, I only recently bought Dungeons of Dredmore after swaying for months.
      Ah well, someone’ll get a lot of fun out of that anyway. You sir/madam are a good egg.

• Kefren says:

It’s a good game! Once I got past the interface issues I really enjoyed my time with it. Due for another delve methinks.

I always hope being nice to people will result in good karma and good book sales. Still waiting. :-)

11. Noodle says:

I am in exactly the same position regarding our new kitten! My tips would be that the allergens are not airbourne, so keep things like cats, cushions and hands away from your face and you’ll be fine. Wash hands after handling the cat, and wash your face if you know you got some on it.
    Apart from that, the two things that touch my face are my pillow and towel, so no cats on the bed (or in the bedroom) and I put my towel in a cat-free place. It’s working so far! Antihistamines for hayfever will work too, but don’t bother with branded ones.

• Lanfranc says:

Incidentally, ‘wash your hands and don’t touch your face’ is also great advice for getting through flu season unscathed.

12. Freud says:

I feel the Bargain Bucket has become so focused on bundles and indie games that it lost some of it’s usefulness.

• AngoraFish says:

Yes, I presume that most of us have signed up to the most well known bundle email marketing lists by now.

pertusaria says:

Not to cast aspersions on the Bargain Bucket, but anyone who likes bundles should keep an eye on the Onward March of the Bundles of March thread over on the forums. I often spot a new post there before the email from Humble or whoever arrives. (It’s been months since I bought a bundle, but the thread is still good fun – same reason I read the Bucket, really.)

13. Jumwa says:

That book bundle. So painful. The key to writing is to write, that’s about it, the rest is an excuse to procrastinate. Sure there are finer points, but I doubt anyone will help you find your voice or remove the stresses from your life to let you write through a book like that.

Doesn’t help it’s publicly known at least one writer on that list who’s giving out tips for publishing, got their success by buying thousands of false reviews.

• Gilead says:

Really? Which writer? I’m familiar with most of them and I wasn’t aware any of them had done this — there was the big upset when it turned out John Locke had bought a bunch of five star reviews, and most of those writers I’m sure posted at the time about what a bad idea it was.

(Not that I’d buy the bundle either way — there’s some information in there, but most of it available for free on the respective writers’ blogs, and they’re almost all heavily slanted to the self-publishing side of things. If people are doing Nanowrimo, something like ‘No Plot No Problem’ might be a better investment from a motivational point of view. Or Stephen King’s ‘On Writing’.)

• Jumwa says:

I can’t find the article I was thinking of right now so perhaps I got the name wrong. If so, REALLY sorry!

As for the self-publishing focus, it makes some sense. Even if you’re dead set against being self-published and want one of the traditional publishers behind you, the best way to do that these days is by first proving some success as a self-published author. They all require their authors to put in the kind of self-promotion effort self-pubbed ones do anyhow these days.

Unless you’re lucky enough to be a Stephen King or J.K.Rowling of course.

But if you’re just looking to write recreationally there’s really not much a book can tell you, I don’t think. Practice, write lots, read.

14. Retrofrank says:

I share your pain, but if you are allergic to cats, you really shouldn´t have them around you.Allergies worsen if you stay exposed to the allergen on a regular base.Someday you will develop allergic asthma.

• AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

That may be true, but on the other hand , KITTENS

• KDR_11k says:

Or get one of those non-allergenic cats.

• Spacewalk says:

If you are allergic to cats pretend you aren’t because if a cat knows that you have an allergy it will do everything it can to get up your nose.

Tam-Lin says:

Allergy shots.

• bhauck says:

What’s your evidence for this? When we first got a cat, I took my allergy pill most days for a few weeks, and now I don’t take it at all. We even doubled the amount of cat in our house with no problems. Are you saying that despite my allergies calming down and having no issues for a few years now, one day they’re just going to spike up again more seriously than ever? Doesn’t make sense to me.

FhnuZoag says:

You have less than 2 weeks left until Nanowrimo, so buying 12 books on writing to prepare for it is well…. rather silly.

• Jalan says:

Just sweep this Bargain Bucket under the rug and into the mystery void.

16. Narbotic says:

To Ms. Khaw and all other cat lovers suffering from non-cat loving allergies – I very much recommend Fluticasone Propianate (Flonase ). It can work wonders for allowing feline friendship to go unpunished by the immune system.